Difference between $1500 and $5k and $25K screens? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 35 Old 02-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I have people send me photos of their Elite screens on occasion, that have lines and artifacts baked into the surface. And once you see those, you can't un-see them. Better screens eliminate the artifacts and non uniformity. Having a great projector and a cheap screen is like buying a Ferrari but only having a dirt road to drive it on. Good screens are expensive, but they can last for many years. My Stewart electric screens are going on 7 years old - and I've talked to folks with 20 year old Stewart electric screens. Maybe I'll get 20 years out of mine !
Back in the 80's and 90's, I worked a lot with a movie film genius, Mr Douglas Trumbull, who was a producer, director and special optical effects guy. He schooled me on many things. One particular quote that he made that I can still recall clearly. "The perfect viewing surface is one that becomes totally invisible while in use." I have never forgotten that.

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; 02-28-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 02-28-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7782 Post(s)
Liked: 9831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Back in the 80's and 90's, I worked a lot with a movie film genius, Mr Douglas Trumbull, who was a producer, director and special optical effects guy. He schooled me on many things. One particular quote that he made that I can still recall clearly. "The perfect viewing surface is one that becomes totally invisible while in use." I have never forgotten that.
Quite true Don. For some of us, that will be the Cima Neve or StudioTek 130, for others, the StudioTek 100. I am at a point with my Stewart screens that I never think about the screens any more - I'm working on improving the audio or thinking about new theater furniture !
Don Stewart likes this.
post #33 of 35 Old 02-28-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4007 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
The question people ask every day on forums like this and will continue to ask until the end of time is whether or not it's worth paying a certain amount of extra money for a certain amount of improved quality. The answer will always vary from person to person because it's a personal value judgment. We each can live with varying degrees of imperfection in exchange for varying degrees of cost savings. We can tell others what works for us but not what will work for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 02-28-2020, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
So true. I have always said the ideal screen for me is one that is like looking thru an open window at what is going on the other side. I have never yet experienced that feeling with any type of flat panel TV screen. The latest and the greatest are pure eye candy but there is still that glass like surface defining the plane of the image.

With front projection and a perfect artifact free, lambertian surface, neutral gray or white, proper projector brightness / contrast and the last piece of the puzzle was provided when resolutions exceeded my vision. At that point there was only one thing left better than the open window for me. That was provided with modern IMAX cinematography and greater visual immersion. The open window is now going away as the image has the possibilities to travel so far out into our peripheral vision there is no window, just a reality of being there observing. Add in immersive sound and you are not only observing you are part of the action.

I enjoy stereoscopic 3D but never really understood the need for it as with open window viewing the director is providing the 3D for you with his skills in DOF our eyes are focused on the screen plane but our brain processes the image to be 3D.

All it takes to break the illusion is uneven brightness across the screen during a fast pan, or some artifact in the screen that doesn’t move when the image moves. These tells cause the brain to lock in on the fact it is 2D and the magic is gone.

Dave is right none of the above is important to a lot of people. It is more important to a lot now to get a image they can watch in a poor room with lots of ambient light issues. Ironically half the time they are rocking a pricey theater level projector in the living room hoping that its stealer specs will help the room.

The OPs question is one that is very hard to address to a wide group of people as each one needs a different answer.
Don Stewart and boiler_maker like this.

Bud
post #35 of 35 Old 03-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think it just all depends how damn serious your getting. A large majority of people will probably be just fine going the DIY route or just a sticking with the Elite/Silverticket screens and be very happy with the performance.

If you want to spend more without going just nuts, Elunevision is one the best screens without taking the big leap into the very expensive screens like Stewart and they perform very close to much more expensive screens.
noob00224 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page