Difference between $1500 and $5k and $25K screens? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Difference between $1500 and $5k and $25K screens?

I'd been planning on spending about $1500 or so on a screen after perusing some online places. Some stores are quoting more like $5K (and one was hoping I'd spring $25K).... For similar gains I don't understand how there could really be that much difference. Would it "be worth" spending $3500 more and considering the $5K screens? I realize that "worth it" is quite subjective

(I'm looking at Acoustically Transparent screens, like from Elite Screens, though I haven't picked a model. around 160" 16:9 would be best)
rossandwendy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
You can always save some money and go the diy route. I've never spent more than a few hundred dollars on a screen. My current screen is a 130" 16:9 Seymour centerstage XD that I stapled to a Poplar frame I built. The picture is amazing and I have to say centerstage XD is one of the best At materials I've ever seen.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSteele View Post
I'd been planning on spending about $1500 or so on a screen after perusing some online places. Some stores are quoting more like $5K (and one was hoping I'd spring $25K).... For similar gains I don't understand how there could really be that much difference. Would it "be worth" spending $3500 more and considering the $5K screens? I realize that "worth it" is quite subjective

(I'm looking at Acoustically Transparent screens, like from Elite Screens, though I haven't picked a model. around 160" 16:9 would be best)
The screen is the last component you upgrade. Even if it's a budget screen it will do fine.

What's the projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The screen is the last component you upgrade. Even if it's a budget screen it will do fine.
On the other hand, a good screen will last a long time. One typically will go through several projectors while keeping the same screen. Thus the old cliche'- "you date projectors but marry the screen". My screen is on its 3rd projector already.

AT is the way to go! Take a look at Seymour/ScreenExcellence for a great affordable option, or Stewart if you have the coin.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

For a 160" screen you are going to need all the brightness you can get, so I highly recommend the Seymour XD material which has about the highest gain you will find in a high quality woven screen - it tests out at .94 gain, compared to a popular budget brand advertised as higher gain but coming in at actual gain lower than the XD. Also, Seymour is fantastic to work with. They can sell you the material only if you want to save money and DIY a frame or they have two levels of frame, plus the option of masking panels. You will spend more than $1500 but way less than $5000.

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #6 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
For a 160" screen you are going to need all the brightness you can get, so I highly recommend the Seymour XD material which has about the highest gain you will find in a high quality woven screen - it tests out at .94 gain, compared to a popular budget brand advertised as higher gain but coming in at actual gain lower than the XD. Also, Seymour is fantastic to work with. They can sell you the material only if you want to save money and DIY a frame or they have two levels of frame, plus the option of masking panels. You will spend more than $1500 but way less than $5000.

Ross
That's helpful, I'll look at that.... Related I guess is: How's this likely to compare to my cheap 20 year old screen? (Which is "acceptable" to us in our environment. I don't seem to have a model easily accessible. I'm sort of assuming most anything would be better, though we'll be moving to acoustically transparent).
rossandwendy likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What's the projector?
Sorry, Epson 4010.

It's not really a matter of "upgrading" the screen as a matter of "replacing" the screen. It was damaged by a flood (icky stuff on bottom couple inches and more to the point, metal weight & stuff all rusty.)

Since I have to buy a screen I want to pick something a little better than nothing
post #8 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post
On the other hand, a good screen will last a long time. One typically will go through several projectors while keeping the same screen. Thus the old cliche'- "you date projectors but marry the screen". My screen is on its 3rd projector already.

AT is the way to go! Take a look at Seymour/ScreenExcellence for a great affordable option, or Stewart if you have the coin.
Yea, ours has had wrinkles and stuff we've ignored. It's on it's 4th projector. (the 1st projector actually saw multiple surfaces as it did plain walls, sheets, etc, before getting a screen )

Since it's a 4010 not-real-4K, we expect that when it gets a little older and real 4K gets a little cheaper, we'll probably replace that. (Yea, there are brighter PJs, but our room is dark and this works for us).

Anyhoo, since it was damaged it sort of has to be replaced anyway.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's helpful, I'll look at that.... Related I guess is: How's this likely to compare to my cheap 20 year old screen? (Which is "acceptable" to us in our environment. I don't seem to have a model easily accessible. I'm sort of assuming most anything would be better, though we'll be moving to acoustically transparent).
Most of the budget screens such as from Elite and Silver Ticket are pretty good bang for the buck but don't have the best color accuracy, usually with a slight blue push. The Seymour has excellent color accuracy - if you get a sample of the XD and put it up next to your current screen you will likely see much nicer flesh tones, and better color saturation overall. Seymour is used in a lot of theaters and production studios, it's great stuff. Of course the AT aspect is going to be wonderful, with your center channel behind.

His website has been down for the last several days due to a hosting issue but when it's back up check it out, seymourav.com

Ross

post #10 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Most of the budget screens such as from Elite and Silver Ticket are pretty good bang for the buck but don't have the best color accuracy, usually with a slight blue push. The Seymour has excellent color accuracy - if you get a sample of the XD and put it up next to your current screen you will likely see much nicer flesh tones, and better color saturation overall. Seymour is used in a lot of theaters and production studios, it's great stuff. Of course the AT aspect is going to be wonderful, with your center channel behind.

His website has been down for the last several days due to a hosting issue but when it's back up check it out, seymourav.com

Ross
Funny you mentioned that- I noticed the blue shift in the ST HD vs Seymour MW thread.

In this picture attached, the bottom part of the red box is the ST HD. The upper part of the red box is split between the Seymour Matinee Wide (upper left) and the Seymour Matinee Black upper right. Notice the blue shift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screens.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2690580  
rossandwendy likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, Epson 4010.

It's not really a matter of "upgrading" the screen as a matter of "replacing" the screen. It was damaged by a flood (icky stuff on bottom couple inches and more to the point, metal weight & stuff all rusty.)

Since I have to buy a screen I want to pick something a little better than nothing
Definitely not worth getting a 5K$ screen.

If you think you'll keep this screen size and the AT requirement the XD is a great choice.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Being relatively new to the projection/screen game, I can't really speak authoritatively on this, but I'm going to say it's probably part "brand" and part 'law of dimenisiong returns'. The uber expensive screens may test/measure out better in a lab than the less expensive screens, but it may be at a level that is hard to see, if at all, but most definitely does not give you gains tied directly to the increase in price(i.e: screen A costs 5x more than screen B, but is only 5% "better"). I bought an Elite Screens 120" UST CLR screen for ~$1300. Screen Innovation's version is over $5000. There is no way in the world the SI screen can give better performance in any objective or subjective metric that makes it worth spending ~$4000 more for. Do I believe the frame and overall construction is better? Without a doubt. But there is no way the performance, even coupled with the better construction makes it a good value at 4x the cost.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
The uber expensive screens may test/measure out better in a lab than the less expensive screens, but it may be at a level that is hard to see, if at all, but most definitely does not give you gains tied directly to the increase in price.
The difference is easy to see, between the budget white materials and something like Stewarts Neve/Studiotek, the screen is visible with the budget material vs invisible with the Stewart materials. Although it's 10-20x the price if I was spending more than $500 on a budget dlp/lcd I would choose the image quality of the nicer material.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
The difference is easy to see, between the budget white materials and something like Stewarts Neve/Studiotek, the screen is visible with the budget material vs invisible with the Stewart materials. Although it's 10-20x the price if I was spending more than $500 on a budget dlp/lcd I would choose the image quality of the nicer material.
I am a big fan of Silver Ticket screens due to price and have owned several of them, but the most dangerous thing I did was put a sample of Stewart material up on the screen - it ruined me! 1.5 years after doing that I finally was able to order my first Stewart. But with the right dealer, only 5x the price of the budget screen

Ross

Last edited by rossandwendy; 02-26-2020 at 04:29 PM.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The extra spent on a stewart screen would be better spent on a better projector, if the room allows it.

5050UB/NX5 + ST > HC4010 + Stewart.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the nice thing about a multi-component system though, you can upgrade pieces separately. But you're only doing yourself a disservice to let a nice projector shoot on a screen that shows visible artifacts. I'm constantly trying to think of how to pull off a graymatte or parallax in my space. I pine for it, price isn't even an issue but the graymattes shade isnt dark enough and the parallax has its narrow vertical viewing angle. If I had a dedicated space the $2k for a studiotek100 is nothing compared to the boost in image quality. Screen visibility is the only artifact left for me to remove, after that reference perfect video ;]
post #17 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's the nice thing about a multi-component system though, you can upgrade pieces separately. But you're only doing yourself a disservice to let a nice projector shoot on a screen that shows visible artifacts. I'm constantly trying to think of how to pull off a graymatte or parallax in my space. I pine for it, price isn't even an issue but the graymattes shade isnt dark enough and the parallax has its narrow vertical viewing angle. If I had a dedicated space the $2k for a studiotek100 is nothing compared to the boost in image quality. Screen visibility is the only artifact left for me to remove, after that reference perfect video ;]
Generally speaking, for regular users, the improved quality of a 5050/NX5 will be preferable over a better screen. Of course both would be nice, but if there is a budget constraint the ST is serviceable.
post #18 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

5050/NX5... budget constraints...
ԅ(≖ ◡ ≖ԅ)
post #19 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ShawnSteele Look into Dreamscreen Ultraweave V6 or7

Contact one of the AVScience guys
https://avscience.com/dreamscreen/

or here depending on where you are
https://dreamscreen.no/products/drea...fit-all-system
Craig Peer likes this.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The extra spent on a stewart screen would be better spent on a better projector, if the room allows it.

Currently it looks like I'm converging on the Seymour XD - I have no clue what the price difference for a Stewart screen would be.

Currently the projector works. The screen is dead. So, replacing the projector isn't going to solve the problem ;-)

When we got the PJ, we assumed that we'd upgrade when the prices dropped on the newer stuff.

It's probably also worth noting that we were "happy" with the PJ on our >20 year old < $1K screen, so probably most any screen will be an improvement!

The recent post is first I heard of Dreamscreen, anyone have experience between that and the Seymour XD?

We're about 15' from the screen, so I'm having a difficult time imagining being distracted by texture at that distance.
post #21 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Currently it looks like I'm converging on the Seymour XD - I have no clue what the price difference for a Stewart screen would be.

Currently the projector works. The screen is dead. So, replacing the projector isn't going to solve the problem ;-)

When we got the PJ, we assumed that we'd upgrade when the prices dropped on the newer stuff.

It's probably also worth noting that we were "happy" with the PJ on our >20 year old < $1K screen, so probably most any screen will be an improvement!

The recent post is first I heard of Dreamscreen, anyone have experience between that and the Seymour XD?

We're about 15' from the screen, so I'm having a difficult time imagining being distracted by texture at that distance.
What's the room like, color of walls?
post #22 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Ultraweave is the studiotek of AT screens, but ya if you're at 15'. Both companies will provide samples so you can see for yourself.

Last edited by bdht; 02-26-2020 at 08:15 PM.
post #23 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

I've sampled XD, and ended up purchasing the similar Falcon woven material (no longer available) as it was a little sharper with the JVC RS600 I had at the time. I used that for two years until I switched to Dreamscreen v6. At 15' you likely won't notice the weave, though if you plan to ever move your seating forward, the v6 weave is not noticeable even at 1'.

Have you requested samples?
post #24 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Ultraweave is the studiotek of AT screens, but ya if you're at 15'. Both companies will provide samples so you can see for yourself.
I'm a little confused by the .no - is there a US distributor or something. (Norway seems a long way for a sample )
post #25 of 35 Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm a little confused by the .no - is there a US distributor or something. (Norway seems a long way for a sample )
Ya, AVSvience @Craig Peer , @Mike Garrett
https://avscience.com/dreamscreen/
Craig Peer likes this.
post #26 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've been testing samples of the Dreamscreen vs the Seymour XD. The Dreamscreen advantage is you can get a couple feet away and still not see the fine weave. But it looks a lot darker than the comparatively bright XD so I would not want a big 160” screen with Dreamscreen, especially if you will want to watch HDR in the future.

Ross
bdht likes this.

post #27 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been testing samples of the Dreamscreen vs the Seymour XD. The Dreamscreen advantage is you can get a couple feet away and still not see the fine weave. But it looks a lot darker than the comparatively bright XD so I would not want a big 160” screen with Dreamscreen, especially if you will want to watch HDR in the future.

Ross
That sounds good to know, thanks. Brightness is important, not sure I'll get closer enough to be bugged by weave.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #28 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7808 Post(s)
Liked: 9885
I've got V6 samples, if anyone wants one. PM or email me.
post #29 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 732
The Seymour AV website is down, due to an outage with their hosting company.

They can be reached directly by phone or email:

515-450-5694
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #30 of 35 Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7808 Post(s)
Liked: 9885
Quote:
I am a big fan of Silver Ticket screens due to price and have owned several of them, but the most dangerous thing I did was put a sample of Stewart material up on the screen - it ruined me! 1.5 years after doing that I finally was able to order my first Stewart. But with the right dealer, only 5x the price of the budget screen

Ross
I have people send me photos of their Elite screens on occasion, that have lines and artifacts baked into the surface. And once you see those, you can't un-see them. Better screens eliminate the artifacts and non uniformity. Having a great projector and a cheap screen is like buying a Ferrari but only having a dirt road to drive it on. Good screens are expensive, but they can last for many years. My Stewart electric screens are going on 7 years old - and I've talked to folks with 20 year old Stewart electric screens. Maybe I'll get 20 years out of mine !
Don Stewart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page