Is "curved" interesting or was it just a fad? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By ruggercb
  • 2 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By Mike Garrett
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ShawnSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is "curved" interesting or was it just a fad?

As I ponder replacing the screen, I'm considering curved. Kind of wondering if folks had regretted curved or other downsides. (I'm not expecting it to necessarily be better than flat, but for non-viewing reasons curved might be a more interesting choice for us.)
ShawnSteele is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 04:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Azekecse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I had an Elite Lunette2 16:9" 120"Diag and I enjoyed it, but if I had to do it again, I would just purchase a 2:35:1 flat screen, which I have just done and is great for movies. The 2:35:1 seems more immersive to me due to its wider image, you will need Lens Memory on your projector if you view 16:9 content. YMMV of course. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR

Last edited by Azekecse; 02-26-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Azekecse is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Member
 
Run&Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Fad. If you’re talking about in an environment like a true IMAX theater, that’s different. But in regards to the sizes and distances you’re talking about in a typical home/home theater, it ranks up there with LED edge lighting behind a screen/TV. It’s for someone to look cool and show-off to their friends, but really does nothing but distract from the actual image you’re (supposed to be) watching.
Run&Gun is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ShawnSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
Fad. If you’re talking about in an environment like a true IMAX theater, that’s different. But in regards to the sizes and distances you’re talking about in a typical home/home theater, it ranks up there with LED edge lighting behind a screen/TV. It’s for someone to look cool and show-off to their friends, but really does nothing but distract from the actual image you’re (supposed to be) watching.
Yea, what I couldn't figure out is if "cool to show off" would conflict and distract from the presentation. For the non-movie aspect of the space, curved might be more fun for us. For watching movies I wouldn't expect it to help. If it was distracting though, that'd be bad.
ShawnSteele is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ruggercb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is "curved" interesting or was it just a fad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSteele View Post
Yea, what I couldn't figure out is if "cool to show off" would conflict and distract from the presentation. For the non-movie aspect of the space, curved might be more fun for us. For watching movies I wouldn't expect it to help. If it was distracting though, that'd be bad.


A curved screen is primarily used to offset the geometric distortion caused by using an external anamorphic lens, especially at a shorter throw ratio. I don’t think people generally advocate a curved screen otherwise.

However, I will say that in an ALR environment, SeymourAV (I’d link but the site seems to be down)suggests curvature for certain situations. Anecdotally, I can confirm that there is more consistent brightness from center to edge with curvature on an ALR screen.



Looks like I break all the rules with the curved edge lit screen. Mind, this is with an A lens. Without a lens, you’d need to overscan on a felt border or you’d have funky edges.(edit: maybe not as bad on a 1.85 screen; I think it’d be pretty noticeable on a 2.35 screen.)
bdht likes this.

Last edited by ruggercb; 02-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
ruggercb is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Run&Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggercb View Post
A curved screen is primarily used to offset the geometric distortion caused by using an external anamorphic lens, especially at a shorter throw ratio. I don’t think people generally advocate a curved screen otherwise.

However, I will say that in an ALR environment, SeymourAV (I’d link but the site seems to be down)suggests curvature for certain situations. Anecdotally, I can confirm that there is more consistent brightness from center to edge with curvature on an ALR screen.



Looks like I break all the rules with the curved edge lit screen. Mind, this is with an A lens. Without a lens, you’d need to overscan on a felt border or you’d have funky edges.(edit: maybe not as bad on a 1.85 screen; I think it’d be pretty noticeable on a 2.35 screen.)
I also used to see the light fall-off argument, as well. But I just can't imagine how weird it is watching a curved 55" panel from 10'-15' away in someone's living room. Now THAT was one of the greatest con-jobs in consumer electronics in the last decade or so. That and Monster Cables...
Run&Gun is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RagtopFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,534
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
When I was out viewing TV's in Best Buy before purchasing the one I own (Curved Samsung), They had a flat 55" mounted right below a curved 55" on the wall. With the same video display loop playing on each, I was studying the difference between the two. I found the curved version to be more immersive. With that said, It wasn't such a difference that would make me chose it over a flat panel. The 65" JS9500 I wound up buying only came as a curved screen version, so that choice was made for me. I do enjoy it!

Spoiler!
RagtopFE is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ruggercb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
I also used to see the light fall-off argument, as well. But I just can't imagine how weird it is watching a curved 55" panel from 10'-15' away in someone's living room. Now THAT was one of the greatest con-jobs in consumer electronics in the last decade or so. That and Monster Cables...


Totally agree. It better be huge or a gaming monitor to be curved.

And monster cable. RIP. Thanks monoprice.
ruggercb is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,223
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 2813
Are curved screens still a "thing?"


When I drop in to places like Best Buy I don't notice curved screens on the showroom floor anymore.
R Harkness is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,590
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7782 Post(s)
Liked: 9836
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Are curved screens still a "thing?"


When I drop in to places like Best Buy I don't notice curved screens on the showroom floor anymore.
Thank goodness that fad is over then. Never did like them.
R Harkness and rossandwendy like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
Liked: 3178
Curved screens are optimized for one person sitting at the center point. As you move to the side the curvature results in increasing distortion from one side of the image to the other that isn't present on a flat screen. Another issue that's especially noticeable with a 1.0 gain matte white screen is that the curved surface produces cross reflections where some light from the image on one side of the screen strikes the other side of the screen producing image washout.
rossandwendy likes this.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 202
My dad sits 6' from a 55" curved va panel, completely offsets the low viewing angles of the panel, allows lights to be on that would normally be reflected by the tv. Great option to have.
bdht is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-11-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,842
Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13466 Post(s)
Liked: 11101
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
As a poster mentioned earlier, curved screens were designed for people that use an anamorphic lens. To be more specific, a curved screen was for anamorphic lens users that had horizontal expansion anamorphic lens. Also the shorter the throw, the larger the need for the curved screen. So it was not a fad. There was a real need for a curved screen, but only needed by a small subset of screen owners. Seems like most people today, that use an A-lens, use a Panamorph vertical compression lens. Curved screens are not needed with this type of A-lens.
rossandwendy likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 03-12-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-11-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ShawnSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks
ShawnSteele is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off