post #31 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2319 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
We have to have a bar somewhere in our house. It is either in the basement or in the attic where we have a second, full kitchen. The basement is much better for having friends over and hanging out. The attic is two floors away and we'd have to bring friends through our more personal spaces.
Everyone has different needs and wants out of these rooms we build. Ours is more of a media room others build a sports bar.

I know all the pros and cons of a dedicated home theater compared to a more open concept entertainment room like you are building. I have actually had both styles and the bottom line is for us anyway was the dedicated theater didn’t get anywhere close to the usage of the media room that feels more like a living room than a theater.

You will even notice a difference if you go with the two rows compared to single row seating. There is just a more social aspect to it.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Everyone has different needs and wants out of these rooms we build. Ours is more of a media room others build a sports bar.

I know all the pros and cons of a dedicated home theater compared to a more open concept entertainment room like you are building. I have actually had both styles and the bottom line is for us anyway was the dedicated theater didn’t get anywhere close to the usage of the media room that feels more like a living room than a theater.

You will even notice a difference if you go with the two rows compared to single row seating. There is just a more social aspect to it.
Good points. I know I'll have to make compromises trying to fit both an amazing bar and an amazing theater in one room.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
The room will be painted very dark. No light from the stairwell. The room should be 100% dark.

Fireplace will be on sometimes. The wife likes to be warm.

Budget is TBD. I should probably talk to my wife about that. She is completely onboard with this project.
Screen size is up to personal preference, the projector should be used on the wall for a few weeks to determine what looks best.

A very general ratio is 10-12" for every foot in distance.

The ambient light from the fireplace will have a negative effect on contrast and especially black level.
While this example is with reflections from white walls, the effect is similar:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

The first type of setup is worse because the light from the fireplace hits the screen directly.

ALR screen can help with ambient light, but only the bright parts of the image. The dark parts/shadows means the projector is not sending light, so ambient light wins on the screen.

Angular ALR's for regular throw projectors must not have any light coming from the same direction as the projector.
UST ALR's (lenticular) are best for rejecting light from above less from other directions.

If the second scenario is used, the seating distance is around 8'? If the fireplace is going to be used a lot then a TV might be a better solution here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Screen size is up to personal preference, the projector should be used on the wall for a few weeks to determine what looks best.

A very general ratio is 10-12" for every foot in distance.

The ambient light from the fireplace will have a negative effect on contrast and especially black level.
While this example is with reflections from white walls, the effect is similar:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

The first type of setup is worse because the light from the fireplace hits the screen directly.

ALR screen can help with ambient light, but only the bright parts of the image. The dark parts/shadows means the projector is not sending light, so ambient light wins on the screen.

Angular ALR's for regular throw projectors must not have any light coming from the same direction as the projector.
UST ALR's (lenticular) are best for rejecting light from above less from other directions.

If the second scenario is used, the seating distance is around 8'? If the fireplace is going to be used a lot then a TV might be a better solution here.
Our last theater had a white ceiling and knee walls so I had a lot of ambient light. With the amount of time the fireplace will be on, it isn't a major concern of mine. We can just run the fireplace for a while before the movie starts.
post #35 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Our last theater had a white ceiling and knee walls so I had a lot of ambient light. With the amount of time the fireplace will be on, it isn't a major concern of mine. We can just run the fireplace for a while before the movie starts.
Sounds like a white screen would work if you're fine with it. Maybe when you see the difference between a projector with good/great black level/contrast with/without ambient light you'll change your mind.

To get the best picture quality possible it's recommended not to have ambient light in the room, but the user is always right.
post #36 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7782 Post(s)
Liked: 9831
Quote:
We've got about 130 bottles to find storage for plus all of my bartending stuff.
It's all going to rattle like crazy during action / war movies, if you have 1/2 way decent subwoofers at all.
post #37 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's all going to rattle like crazy during action / war movies, if you have 1/2 way decent subwoofers at all.
We rarely watch action movies. At our old house, we had our bottles about 12 feet from a marty cube and they didn't make any sound. I make sure my bottles don't touch each other.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-09-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

After much thought, I'm going to go with a six seat with riser build. This is the general layout.

Because I'm height-limited, should I consider going with a 2.35 CIH screen?

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
post #39 of 40 Old 03-13-2020, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
After much thought, I'm going to go with a six seat with riser build. This is the general layout.

Because I'm height-limited, should I consider going with a 2.35 CIH screen?
Yes absolutely..One of the best changes I've made, in conjunction with the Paladin DCR, was going to a 2:35 from a 16:9, yields better immersion for movies. I was also height restricted. Also, don't skimp on your equipment, i.e. screen (Stewart 130 G4), projector (Sony/JVC Laser) YMMV. Buy once cry once, hope this helps, good luck.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR
post #40 of 40 Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
Yes absolutely..One of the best changes I've made, in conjunction with the Paladin DCR, was going to a 2:35 from a 16:9, yields better immersion for movies. I was also height restricted. Also, don't skimp on your equipment, i.e. screen (Stewart 130 G4), projector (Sony/JVC Laser) YMMV. Buy once cry once, hope this helps, good luck.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

He needs AT screen. Microperf’ing the Stewart 130 will ruin it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page