Screen position - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 02-26-2020, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Screen position

I'm trying to plan out our theater and I'm starting to look at screen position. Our walls in the basement are only 7' 1.5" tall.

Some questions.
  1. I have total light control in the room and am planning on making the walls as dark as possible. How close is too close to the ceiling and walls?
  2. Due to the short ceiling, I am considering one of the newer UST 4k laser projectors to avoid something hanging from our ceiling. Do these projectors work well with acoustically transparent screens?
  3. What are some good acoustically transparent screen materials for these UST 4k laser projectors?
  4. We watch a lot of old movies from all decades, would a 16x9 screen be the way to go?

Thanks for the help. Here is a potential layout of our room.

CaptainChunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I personally would lay that room out differently. With two rows you only have two good seats and two lousy seats. Put the screen opposite the bar and place four seats side by side and hang the projector over the bar so no one hits their head on it. UST will cost considerably more for the same performance as a standard throw projector. Another note with standard throw is power lens memory unavailable with UST would be a good option for a 2:35 screen as you are height limited. UST with an ALR screen that can't be AT is good in a more lighted environment.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #3 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,469
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
If you are just in the planning stages now I agree with @rekbones and look at changing the layout and sticking with a conventional throw projector. I would even go as far as moving the bar to the wall you have the screen on and then put bar top seating behind your single row of 4 seats.

As to your main question I’m a big fan of immersion and presentation and it is hard to advise others on what they may like. I like the suggestion of a projector and screen to do CIH constant image height with a 2.35:1 screen but I also sizing a 16:9 screen to also allow for the new IMAX sized movies and such.

I painted my whole wall to be a stealth screen and if your floor and ceiling are dark colors there is no reason you can’t project close to floor to ceiling height if you needed to. With two row seating that is harder to do as you have to have the image higher so the second row can see. Another reason a single main row and maybe a second row on bar stools would work better.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I personally would lay that room out differently. With two rows you only have two good seats and two lousy seats. Put the screen opposite the bar and place four seats side by side and hang the projector over the bar so no one hits their head on it. UST will cost considerably more for the same performance as a standard throw projector. Another note with standard throw is power lens memory unavailable with UST would be a good option for a 2:35 screen as you are height limited. UST with an ALR screen that can't be AT is good in a more lighted environment.
All good points. I hadn't thought much about changing the orientation of the room. If the bar is left in place, the seats would be much closer to the screen. I could build a nice hush box into the bar ceiling though. See a quick model I did in the next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
If you are just in the planning stages now I agree with @rekbones and look at changing the layout and sticking with a conventional throw projector. I would even go as far as moving the bar to the wall you have the screen on and then put bar top seating behind your single row of 4 seats.

As to your main question I’m a big fan of immersion and presentation and it is hard to advise others on what they may like. I like the suggestion of a projector and screen to do CIH constant image height with a 2.35:1 screen but I also sizing a 16:9 screen to also allow for the new IMAX sized movies and such.

I painted my whole wall to be a stealth screen and if your floor and ceiling are dark colors there is no reason you can’t project close to floor to ceiling height if you needed to. With two row seating that is harder to do as you have to have the image higher so the second row can see. Another reason a single main row and maybe a second row on bar stools would work better.
Thanks for the idea of moving the bar. The bar is plumbed and has electrical run so it will be more complicated to move it. Check out the next post for another mockup.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Another layout option thanks to suggestions.

skylarlove1999 likes this.

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,768
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 683
I like that layout much better. Speaker placement will be difficult for 5.1 and beyond. Where do you plan on putting the AV equipment and what kind of audio do you plan?

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,469
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
I like it and the projector built into the bar ceiling would be good.

With today’s projectors its all about immersion. What size screen are you looking at and what would be the seating distance? What will the room be used for? Movies sports etc. Will viewers sometime be elsewhere in the room? If so you might want to think about sizing the screen for IMAX and at that size it would great within the whole room for sports etc.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Oh no. I think this might be the best layout and probably the most expensive to do too. I should just stop modeling now.

rossandwendy likes this.

Currently building the Quarterdeck Club
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I like that layout much better. Speaker placement will be difficult for 5.1 and beyond. Where do you plan on putting the AV equipment and what kind of audio do you plan?
I just did another layout. Scroll down this thread. I love audio more than video so I'd love to do 7.2.4 if possible. Check out my build thread for more info about the Quarterdeck Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I like it and the projector built into the bar ceiling would be good.

With today’s projectors its all about immersion. What size screen are you looking at and what would be the seating distance? What will the room be used for? Movies sports etc. Will viewers sometime be elsewhere in the room? If so you might want to think about sizing the screen for IMAX and at that size it would great within the whole room for sports etc.
I'd love to do an acoustically transparent screen to hide speakers behind. I'm open to the best screen size for my room. Check out my build thread for more info about the Quarterdeck Club.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,469
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
Oh no. I think this might be the best layout and probably the most expensive to do too. I should just stop modeling now.

I will check out the other thread. I like the bar there.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
Another layout option thanks to suggestions.



I like that layout much better as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #12 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I will check out the other thread. I like the bar there.
This is the best layout except for maybe where the projector will go. In this layout is there a room on the wall opposite the screen behind the wall? Maybe your projector could go in that room along with your av equipment?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #13 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
This is the best layout except for maybe where the projector will go. In this layout is there a room on the wall opposite the screen behind the wall? Maybe your projector could go in that room along with your av equipment?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There is a large laundry room next to this one where it would be easy to place a projector on the other side of the wall. That would eliminate noise from the projector as well as maintain the ceiling height.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #14 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
I'm trying to plan out our theater and I'm starting to look at screen position. Our walls in the basement are only 7' 1.5" tall.

Some questions.
  1. I have total light control in the room and am planning on making the walls as dark as possible. How close is too close to the ceiling and walls?
  2. Due to the short ceiling, I am considering one of the newer UST 4k laser projectors to avoid something hanging from our ceiling. Do these projectors work well with acoustically transparent screens?
  3. What are some good acoustically transparent screen materials for these UST 4k laser projectors?
  4. We watch a lot of old movies from all decades, would a 16x9 screen be the way to go?

Thanks for the help. Here is a potential layout of our room.

What program are you using to do the layout of your room?
Bigc05 is offline  
post #15 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,469
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Moving the bar would not be too bad with the ceiling unit even. Relocating the wet bar and plumbing would be a little more tricky though.

It doesn’t look bad though leaving the bar where it is. Might be a little congested if you are planning bar stools though. As a walk up bar it would work fine.

Down on the end looks great though.

Bud
bud16415 is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigc05 View Post
What program are you using to do the layout of your room?
I've been using the free online version of Sketch Up. It took me a good 4-5 hours of struggling to learn it before it started to make sense to me. Now I love it.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
There is a large laundry room next to this one where it would be easy to place a projector on the other side of the wall. That would eliminate noise from the projector as well as maintain the ceiling height.
I like the idea of the projector not being in the room to eliminate noise and from someone bumping into it. I am not a big fan of UST projectors. Is the laundry room finished? My only concern about placing the projector in there would be dust if that space is not finished.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #18 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,213
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 534
If the room's walls are treated with dark paint an alr is not required.

Is that fireplace going to be on while the projector is running?

Any light coming from the stairwell?

What's the budget?
noob00224 is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,875
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7969 Post(s)
Liked: 10364
One row is better in this room. In fact, that's what I did. Click my theater link. Also, why even have a bar in your theater ?
Craig Peer is offline  
post #20 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Moving the bar would not be too bad with the ceiling unit even. Relocating the wet bar and plumbing would be a little more tricky though.

It doesn’t look bad though leaving the bar where it is. Might be a little congested if you are planning bar stools though. As a walk up bar it would work fine.

Down on the end looks great though.
I've got a carpenter coming over tonight to bounce some ideas off of. I agree that the bar would work best on the south end of the room.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #21 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
David Ortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
I've got a carpenter coming over tonight to bounce some ideas off of. I agree that the bar would work best on the south end of the room.
I'm puzzled. You mention an AT screen, but none of your layouts show space behind the screen.
David Ortiz is online now  
post #22 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I like the idea of the projector not being in the room to eliminate noise and from someone bumping into it. I am not a big fan of UST projectors. Is the laundry room finished? My only concern about placing the projector in there would be dust if that space is not finished.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The laundry room is finished and very nice. I would like to figure out a way to get the equipment in there if possible.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
If the room's walls are treated with dark paint an alr is not required.

Is that fireplace going to be on while the projector is running?

Any light coming from the stairwell?

What's the budget?
The room will be painted very dark. No light from the stairwell. The room should be 100% dark.

Fireplace will be on sometimes. The wife likes to be warm.

Budget is TBD. I should probably talk to my wife about that. She is completely onboard with this project.

Last edited by CaptainChunk; 02-27-2020 at 12:32 PM.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #24 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
One row is better in this room. In fact, that's what I did. Click my theater link. Also, why even have a bar in your theater ?
We have to have a bar somewhere in our house. It is either in the basement or in the attic where we have a second, full kitchen. The basement is much better for having friends over and hanging out. The attic is two floors away and we'd have to bring friends through our more personal spaces.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #25 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
I'm puzzled. You mention an AT screen, but none of your layouts show space behind the screen.
Good catch. I haven't got that far yet. How much room is typically reserved behind the screen? Depends on speakers to some degree. I was thinking about going with DIYSG speakers.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
The laundry room is finished and very nice. I would like to figure out a way to get the equipment in there if possible.
I think that is a great idea. Adds more expense but worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #27 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
Good catch. I haven't got that far yet. How much room is typically reserved behind the screen? Depends on speakers to some degree. I was thinking about going with DIYSG speakers.
Actually is more dependent on the AT screen than the speakers. Some screen manufacturers say as little as 3 inches . You need to pick a screen and a projector first to make sure they would be a good match. Most AT screens you need to be back at least 10 ft or more so you don't see the weave or micro perforation pattern. Have to make sure your projector will project the size you want from your throw distance. So I would make sure my screen and projector are chosen before you begin construction. Nothing worse than having to change things up later on and waste money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #28 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,875
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7969 Post(s)
Liked: 10364
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
We have to have a bar somewhere in our house. It is either in the basement or in the attic where we have a second, full kitchen. The basement is much better for having friends over and hanging out. The attic is two floors away and we'd have to bring friends through our more personal spaces.
Well, I do have a wine cellar, so I get it. Just not in my theater.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #29 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Actually is more dependent on the AT screen than the speakers. Some screen manufacturers say as little as 3 inches . You need to pick a screen and a projector first to make sure they would be a good match. Most AT screens you need to be back at least 10 ft or more so you don't see the weave or micro perforation pattern. Have to make sure your projector will project the size you want from your throw distance. So I would make sure my screen and projector are chosen before you begin construction. Nothing worse than having to change things up later on and waste money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
For our last theater, I built a spandex screen. Sat about 10' from that and loved it.

No construction will start until the entire theater room is planned out, top to bottom.
CaptainChunk is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Well, I do have a wine cellar, so I get it. Just not in my theater.
We've got about 130 bottles to find storage for plus all of my bartending stuff.
CaptainChunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off