JVC RS46 DILA Lcos + Cinegrey 5D ALR screen = oh god... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By annihilator

post #1 of 17 Old 02-28-2020, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JVC RS46 DILA Lcos + Cinegrey 5D ALR screen = oh god...

Guys wanted to share my last buy. The cinegrey 5D fixed screen high contrast.
Such marvelous image (and built quality)

feel free to post some comments!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-01-2020, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 17 Old 03-01-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What is the mounting position in relation to the screen? how far away and how high. the videos look good, in some scenes it looks brighter in the center of the screen but its impossible to tell how it looks in real like as photos and videos are often deceiving.

I recently ordered samples from elite and they sent my 2 identical samles with two different labels stating 3d and 5d so I have no idea which material they actually sent me but there is no difference between the 2 and the both seem to hotspot too much for my setup and my x90.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-02-2020, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
What is the mounting position in relation to the screen? how far away and how high. the videos look good, in some scenes it looks brighter in the center of the screen but its impossible to tell how it looks in real like as photos and videos are often deceiving.

I recently ordered samples from elite and they sent my 2 identical samles with two different labels stating 3d and 5d so I have no idea which material they actually sent me but there is no difference between the 2 and the both seem to hotspot too much for my setup and my x90.

hi!
The final render live is absolutely stunning. No sparkle at all.
There is a bit of hot spot yes but you can see it only with flat colors. In the real vision there is no chance to see it.
The video shows more of hot spot than what is in real vision.

this is the only really little issue i encounter but 90 percent of these screens has this...Global commander is only i saw there is no hot spot at all but the gain is too low for me...plus the cost of a 93 inches is 2400 euros, this cinegrey cost 799.....and the built quality is very very nice. I like so much the little frame, really seems a big oled...
Overall there is a huge difference than my previous setup with wall (very good painted ecc). The colors were washed out plus there was ton of light everywhere in the room (as you can see my living room is so white and bright). Now blacks are much more black and white more white. Much less light and contrast is a huge improvement.

The setup is with the projector at 3,55m far (lens from screen) which is x1,7 the width more or less. Lens is a bit higher and leftted from center. would say 30cm upper and 20 cm from left.

I owned the 3d material and i think 5d is much better screen...3d is too dim and make too dim the image...

The hotspot you will see in all of these screens, except very few where you must pay 3 times at least. But with these prices i paid 500 euros for JVC + 799 the screen....for a 93 inches...in 2-3 years oled of 80 and more will cost much less. For me in this condition of 93 inches there is no point to spend a lot for a screen. I think then in few years i will change for a ultra short projector...

Anyway the image of this jvc + this screen i prefer than oled and than all other tv
post #5 of 17 Old 03-02-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thank you for taking the time to share and reply. You have confirmed my suspicions that the 3d will likely be too dull for me as well.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-02-2020, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

you're welcome!

What i can say is this.

I tried and watched

1- darsktar 9
2 - Atom skyfix skyline
3 - Cinegrey 3d (which i ordered directyl from amazon)
4 - Cine 5D (same)

I can say that darkstar was the best related to hotspot (not absent eh, just the best one), but the others was similar. During watching was similar, i mean i could not really see the hotspot.
For me the less issue was (is) hotspot, while the worst are brightness shut down and sparkling.

In this areas i could say the firs 3 were similar (darkstar were for me too dimm really...white were not white too). expecially related to brightness. Sparkling a bit on atom, not at all on 3d and 5D
What the 5D shines is that has more gain, not dim, white is shiny white while black remains extemely dark. It's seems that the ALR job is more "extreme" than others.
So for me, in my environment is the best one. Not a super bright projector (i don't like the super bright image, i wanted an extrme contrast that's why jvc plus all white everywhere. In this condition seems the 5D shines.
The 3D is surely a worse construction screen and overall less "pop" one. With 5D sometimes seems really the images are going out of screen, while 3d was a bit "tired".
Probably with a darker walls plus a brighter projector the 3d is different...wouldn't know that....
post #7 of 17 Old 03-02-2020, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

you're welcome!

What i can say is this.

I tried and watched

1- darsktar 9
2 - Atom skyfix skyline
3 - Cinegrey 3d (which i ordered directyl from amazon)
4 - Cine 5D (same)

I can say that darkstar was the best related to hotspot (not absent eh, just the best one), but the others was similar. During watching was similar, i mean i could not really see the hotspot.
For me the less issue was (is) hotspot, while the worst are brightness shut down and sparkling.

In this areas i could say the firs 3 were similar (darkstar were for me too dimm really...white were not white too). expecially related to brightness. Sparkling a bit on atom, not at all on 3d and 5D
What the 5D shines is that has more gain, not dim, white is shiny white while black remains extemely dark. It's seems that the ALR job is more "extreme" than others.
So for me, in my environment is the best one. Not a super bright projector (i don't like the super bright image, i wanted an extrme contrast that's why jvc plus all white everywhere. In this condition seems the 5D shines.
The 3D is surely a worse construction screen and overall less "pop" one. With 5D sometimes seems really the images are going out of screen, while 3d was a bit "tired".
Probably with a darker walls plus a brighter projector the 3d is different...wouldn't know that....
post #8 of 17 Old 03-02-2020, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

may the black be with you!

post #9 of 17 Old 03-09-2020, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by annihilator View Post

What is brightness shutdown?

Noah
post #10 of 17 Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
What is brightness shutdown?
i mean all these screens just lower the brightness. Some of them like darkstar completely shutdown the brightness itself. More contrast, more black but much less bright...(also 0.8 gain which contribute)

and i hate this
noah katz likes this.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-10-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 4007 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
There's no mystery in the fact that screens with lower gain are going to appear less bright than screens with higher gain when using the same projector on the same brightness settings. This can be compensated for by using brighter projector settings. If the projector won't go bright enough to properly illuminate a lower gain screen then a brighter projector should be considered. The projector, screen and viewing environment work together as a system to produce overall image quality. Changing one element requires adjusting the other elements in the system.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by annihilator View Post
Guys wanted to share my last buy. The cinegrey 5D fixed screen high contrast.
Such marvelous image (and built quality)

feel free to post some comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=142uHyFVvHE
Interesting you dont see any sparkles. I also have the Elite Cinegrey 5D with JVC NX7 and I saw a lot of sparkles, so much so that there was a sheen over the image even in Low lamp.

I wonder if the material was improved to reduce the image.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #13 of 17 Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

well nx7 i smuch more bright i assume...
you have which version of cine5d?
zero at all of sparkle yes

people say and firends tht depends on material you see....some things in hdr with lot lumens not sparkles while more sparkles with sdr content...no rule...
post #14 of 17 Old 03-16-2020, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

post #15 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
JVC NX5 and Elite Prime Vision Dark Star show the best image I've seen out of any ALR screen/projector combo. The Cinegrey 5D shows a solid, bright image, but it does not reject overhead light head well.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-17-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13459 Post(s)
Liked: 11099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Interesting you dont see any sparkles. I also have the Elite Cinegrey 5D with JVC NX7 and I saw a lot of sparkles, so much so that there was a sheen over the image even in Low lamp.

I wonder if the material was improved to reduce the image.
The material has not changed.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

I must say this material is much better (in my opinion) than cinegrey 3D

You should see anyway the Global Commander material (ty to search it...distributed in Italy). It's absolute stunning with no issues at all. No hotspot no sparkles ecc. Really definitive material. Plus you can personalize it inche by inches and frameless

On contrary this cine 5D i think has even better built quality and the frame of it i like so much. Plus it's not a 0.8-0.9 gain so the image is so bright and shines. Thus the price of my size of global commander material is 2500 euros (203 width) while this cost 799...so more or less x3 less

Thus i didn't pay one euro for this unit so...no chance to compete but this is only for my personal situation...

Well i saw a 1st version with velcrum to my friend's house and i think has some more issue than mine...so wouldn't be sure 100 percent is same material...(mine is 2nd version)

https://i.imgur.com/6jcN8sn.mp4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page