Looking for Screen ideals for a 675es - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking for Screen ideals for a 675es

Hi Guys,
I have a Sony 675es with a screen innovations SCRN brand 133" matte white 1.0 16x9
running with an oppo 203, light controlled room.

this set up looks fantastic however I am wanting to try and get a blacker-black in dark scenes.
got some samples from Elite screens with their slate and I did not really notice that it helped much.

any ideals and where to buy some samples to try would be great

cheers!
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 630
"Light controlled" means a room with no white reflective surfaces like a white ceiling. If your room is not truly light controlled that is your problem, not the screen. If you can't fix the room an ALR screen may help some but is really just a band aide for a poor room.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 401
As rekbones said, what color are the walls?

If the walls are already painted in a dark shade then black non reflective velvet would be the next step.
Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...image-240.html

Some users have suggested even with high end projectors a (perceived) contrast improvement screens can be used.
Not just from a budget perspective, but some paint mixes are similar to quality screens. They're customizable for you unique setup, and can be positive gain if required.

An explanation: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58790176

I don't know if a negative gain screen would be recommended with an 133" screen.

What samples from Elite and Slate do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
"Light controlled" means a room with no white reflective surfaces like a white ceiling. If your room is not truly light controlled that is your problem, not the screen. If you can't fix the room an ALR screen may help some but is really just a band aide for a poor room.
Yes completely "light controlled", I understand the meaning bro
post #5 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
As rekbones said, what color are the walls?

If the walls are already painted in a dark shade then black non reflective velvet would be the next step.
Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...image-240.html

Some users have suggested even with high end projectors a (perceived) contrast improvement screens can be used.
Not just from a budget perspective, but some paint mixes are similar to quality screens. They're customizable for you unique setup, and can be positive gain if required.

An explanation: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58790176

I don't know if a negative gain screen would be recommended with an 133" screen.

What samples from Elite and Slate do you have?
it is light controlled with dark grey walls and black ceiling.
the only source of light is the projector it's self

yeah I did the projector central projector calculator and with the distance of my projector to the screen
if I drop from 1.0 to .8 I will loose over 6 fl

sorry it was not elite it was silver ticket screens

Matte White - White
Grey - Light Grey
Silver - Silver Metallic
High Contrast - Dark Grey
Woven Acoustic (WAB)- Woven Acoustic with Black Backing- White Material

I read in that post about Black Flame paint, not sure about the gain on that could not find anything on their web site

Keith
post #6 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalfnet View Post
it is light controlled with dark grey walls and black ceiling.
the only source of light is the projector it's self

yeah I did the projector central projector calculator and with the distance of my projector to the screen
if I drop from 1.0 to .8 I will loose over 6 fl

sorry it was not elite it was silver ticket screens

Matte White - White
Grey - Light Grey
Silver - Silver Metallic
High Contrast - Dark Grey
Woven Acoustic (WAB)- Woven Acoustic with Black Backing- White Material

I read in that post about Black Flame paint, not sure about the gain on that could not find anything on their web site

Keith
So Silver Ticket Grey and High Contrast did not improve the black level?

The paint mix in that post is Silver Fire, which is a customizable version of Black Flame.
If you want to go this route create a new thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
post #7 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you had your projector professionally calibrated? I am not really up to speed on the high end Sony's but black level/contrast shouldn't be an issue if the reflections are controlled like you say.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #8 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Have you had your projector professionally calibrated? I am not really up to speed on the high end Sony's but black level/contrast shouldn't be an issue if the reflections are controlled like you say.
No have not, not sure tho if it would help with the black levels since even with the lamp on low and the brightness turned way down
it lets the same amount of grey light through
post #9 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So Silver Ticket Grey and High Contrast did not improve the black level?

The paint mix in that post is Silver Fire, which is a customizable version of Black Flame.
If you want to go this route create a new thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
not really, just a tad, the more I think about painting the more I think I would need a sample
to mess with before committing to that type of project
post #10 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No have not, not sure tho if it would help with the black levels since even with the lamp on low and the brightness turned way down
it lets the same amount of grey light through
At the very least down load a calibration disc and run through the contrast calibrations. There is one available on these forums someplace.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
not really, just a tad, the more I think about painting the more I think I would need a sample
to mess with before committing to that type of project
There are no samples available, you have to paint it yourself.

Regarding the calibration disc, these two posts:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59005708
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59006190

For the video in the second video, the relevant part is at 9m 43s.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are no samples available, you have to paint it yourself.

Regarding the calibration disc, these two posts:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59005708
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59006190

For the video in the second video, the relevant part is at 9m 43s.

thanks I will check it out, I see how it will give you a better image, however how could it give you better blacks?
the LCD panels in the projector would still let the same amount of light through for total black
post #13 of 14 Old 03-02-2020, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks I will check it out, I see how it will give you a better image, however how could it give you better blacks?
the LCD panels in the projector would still let the same amount of light through for total black
I would definitely go through the owners thread on your projector. LCOS panels have had issues in the past with panel degradation that can be compensated with calibration. JVC has issues with gamma drift I but I don't know what the direct issues with Sony are. From what your describing I think your issue is with the projector and no screen is going to fix it.

EDIT: it may require special calibration tools as to why a professional calibration may be necessary.

Last edited by rekbones; 03-02-2020 at 07:45 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Matching the projector's black and white levels via the brightness/contrast calibration with that of the source is important since the lower limit (black) would be the same as what the projector can do.
Unfortunately some video is transferred incorrectly, or the image is too dark on purpose, on you have to lower the Brightness setting where it starts to crush black detail.

A professional calibration can improve shadow detail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page