Thoughts on Seymour’s Glacier White Material? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-18-2020, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thoughts on Seymour’s Glacier White Material?

I’ve seen a few posts about this from several years ago, but apparently this material was re-designed in the last year or two with less texture. Curious if people are liking the latest incarnation. Room is a bat cave with a JVC rs-540 ceiling mounted near minimum throw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
I’ve seen a few posts about this from several years ago, but apparently this material was re-designed in the last year or two with less texture. Curious if people are liking the latest incarnation. Room is a bat cave with a JVC rs-540 ceiling mounted near minimum throw.
I have the Perfectly Smooth incarnation of the Seymour Glacier White which is the most recent version. I love it. Nice pop. Great depth. Accurate color production. Excellent clarity. I could not be happier.

I looked at Stewart ST100 and ST130 and Screen Innovations Pure White. If money were no object I would have gone with the ST100. But at over double the price I could not justify it. The Glacier White does have ever so slight cooler blue tinge to it that most people would never notice.

The higher priced screens seemed to be slightly more color accurate and I attributed that to the slight blue tinge. But when viewing content it is not noticeable . I only noticed it when holding up screen samples and seeing the differences in the same scenes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
I recommend you have Chris Seymour send you a sample to test out. I had samples of the original glacier white with a bit of texture and I really liked it, bright and color accurate. The sample I have of the new revised material has lower gain in my visual testing, and is indeed smooth, but the color accuracy and skin tones have not convinced me. The testing from Accucal that you may have seen is for the older material, not the current one, and I would like to see Accucal update the test with the revised glacier white so we can see the actual gain and color differences. At the time I tested I was using a Silver Ticket white screen and I preferred its flesh tones and brightness to the revised GW. Others like skylarlove1999 are happy with it though, and I'm really picky visually (professional photographer for 40 years), so I do recommend you look at a sample and compare it for yourself, it may be just what you want. And as far as Seymour, they get my highest recommendation as a company, Chris is one of the best at service! I have lusted after their customized frames with masking panels for years.

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83

Last edited by rossandwendy; 03-19-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I have the Perfectly Smooth incarnation of the Seymour Glacier White which is the most recent version. I love it. Nice pop. Great depth. Accurate color production. Excellent clarity. I could not be happier.

I looked at Stewart ST100 and ST130 and Screen Innovations Pure White. If money were no object I would have gone with the ST100. But at over double the price I could not justify it. The Glacier White does have ever so slight cooler blue tinge to it that most people would never notice.

The higher priced screens seemed to be slightly more color accurate and I attributed that to the slight blue tinge. But when viewing content it is not noticeable . I only noticed it when holding up screen samples and seeing the differences in the same scenes.

Mind sharing your projector throw distance? I'm concerned because I just bought and installed some silver ticket 1.3 gain raw material, and I'm seeing a shimmer in the highlights that others who've used the material haven't experienced. My theory is that I'm right near the minimum throw distance for my PJ (small room), and I don't want to risk buying more material with similar problems.

I have a sample of the GW, which looks pretty good to my eyes, but it's hard to really say for sure with such a small piece of material.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
I recommend you have Chris Seymour send you a sample to test out. I had samples of the original glacier white with a bit of texture and I really liked it, bright and color accurate. The sample I have of the new revised material has lower gain in my visual testing, and is indeed smooth, but the color accuracy and skin tones have not convinced me. The testing from Accucal that you may have seen is for the older material, not the current one, and I would like to see Accucal update the test with the revised glacier white so we can see the actual gain and color differences. At the time I tested I was using a Silver Ticket white screen and I preferred its flesh tones and brightness to the revised GW. Others like skylarlove1999 are happy with it though, and I'm really picky visually (professional photographer for 40 years), so I do recommend you look at a sample and compare it for yourself, it may be just what you want. And as far as Seymour, they get my highest recommendation as a company, Chris is one of the best at service! I have lusted after their customized frames with masking panels for years.

Ross
I have a sample. I'm just paranoid b/c I viewed a sample of silver ticket's 1.3 material, bought some because it looked good as a sample, only to find I'm getting shimmer in the highlights. I do wish I knew the actual gain of the material though. To my eyes it does seem a bit dimmer than the silver ticket 1.0 fabric, although it's hard to tell when comparing two materials of different colors.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mind sharing your projector throw distance? I'm concerned because I just bought and installed some silver ticket 1.3 gain raw material, and I'm seeing a shimmer in the highlights that others who've used the material haven't experienced. My theory is that I'm right near the minimum throw distance for my PJ (small room), and I don't want to risk buying more material with similar problems.

I have a sample of the GW, which looks pretty good to my eyes, but it's hard to really say for sure with such a small piece of material.
Throw distance is 16 ft for my Epson 6050. Seating is at 13 ft.

Tristan Jones
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Did either of you guys color calibrate? My assumption was that a color calibration would eliminate/equalize any color shifts inherent in the material. Is that not correct?

Skylar, have you compared against the silver ticket 1.0 white? I’m between that and the GW. I’ve used the ST and I know it doesn’t have any glaring flaws, but I’m sort of loath to buy the material, as it’s standalone material price approaches the cost of buying the screen frame as well, and I think mentally I’m frustrated by the idea of rebuying the same material I had (the old screen has a bit of wear and tear from too many moves).
post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did either of you guys color calibrate? My assumption was that a color calibration would eliminate/equalize any color shifts inherent in the material. Is that not correct?

Skylar, have you compared against the silver ticket 1.0 white? I’m between that and the GW. I’ve used the ST and I know it doesn’t have any glaring flaws, but I’m sort of loath to buy the material, as it’s standalone material price approaches the cost of buying the screen frame as well, and I think mentally I’m frustrated by the idea of rebuying the same material I had (the old screen has a bit of wear and tear from too many moves).
I have not compared to Silver Ticket . My previous screen was Elite Cinewhite. It goes without saying that the Glacier White has more pop, more depth and is throws a sharper image. I have not had this projector calibrated but I agree with your assessment that you can calibrate out color shifts. It just isn't noticeable enough for me to bother. I am also strongly considering buying the JVC NX7 hence not paying for or calibrating the 6050 myself.

Tristan Jones
post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the members here, Dominic Chan, has measured gain of all the Silver Ticket materials against a bright white sheet of paper reference and he got .99 gain for the Silver Ticket white. I've been using this material for a few years and really like it when price is factored in (it's not Stewart level of color accuracy and saturation but it's inexpensive). Attached are three pics with a sample of the current Seymour Glacier White against the Silver Ticket. Note in the 3rd pic I also included Seymour XD AT material (with black backing) on the far right. The XD gain was tested by Accucal as .94

Ross
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6281.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	661.9 KB
ID:	2699836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6282.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	818.8 KB
ID:	2699838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6283.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	2699840  

Last edited by rossandwendy; 03-19-2020 at 09:04 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
That reflects what I’ve seen. GW is darker than both ST White and SF Neve materials with a slight blue push. If ST is measured at .99 than GW must be around low .9 region.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Any benefits to the GW over the silver ticket? Frankly I don’t know how anyone makes real comparisons with these materials, as the color is obviously going to change once a proper calibration’s been done.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any benefits to the GW over the silver ticket? Frankly I don’t know how anyone makes real comparisons with these materials, as the color is obviously going to change once a proper calibration’s been done.
With either material a calibration off the screen will dial in the color. What won't change is the gain of each screen, and any possible artifacts from texture, sparklies, hotspotting, etc. If your screen size, projector model, and throw distance is giving you brightness to spare even with HDR material then perhaps having lower gain works. In a previous post it sounded like you have already seen the regular Silver Ticket white to know how it performs. Maybe order from Chris a larger piece of GW to put up and test further before dropping the bucks on the entire screen. There is not one right answer that fits everyone. For me, the GW would never work in my room, as I have been projecting at 175" diagonal and I need more gain than what GW provides. But that might be different for you.

Ross

Last edited by rossandwendy; 03-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

I just did a more in-depth comparison with my samples. Think I’m just gonna order another sheet of the ST 1.0. No shimmer at all (there’s a hair of it in the GW) and it’s much higher gain (the difference between the Gw and the ST 1.0 is more noticeable than between the ST1.0 vs St 1.3. Not sure what the gain is of the GW, but it’s definitely less than 1.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page