Stupid question about screen size and viewing distance. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
Yep. If you bought it, it's your call. ; )

Right after I had my 120" screen installed, my GF said it's too big and complained about having to move her head/eyes around while we were watching football. I honestly don't think I had a response and just rolled my eyes. Which for some reason she never has to see to know I'm doing...
I always find sports immersion interesting. Tennis fans would give anything to sit center court at Wimbledon and flip their neck back and forth for 4 or more hours. 50 yard line seats on the football field are priceless and all the rich and famous sit in the mega-buck seats at half court for NBA.

But at home we like to hardly move our eyes.

Again there is the saying, Happy wife happy life. I don’t know if that extends to GFs.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Absolutely true. To see the range of viewing angles from members of this forum who use projectors, 71 degrees all the way down to a mere 29 degrees (from a recent thread), really shows that there is no recommendation anyone can make to those who want one number to blindly go by - each must experiment and determine their own comfort zone.

Ross
This is true and after reading a million threads on seating distance I agree it is a wide range. I also always liked to get to a movie early and settle in a bit before the previews. Watching people come in and a theater fill up will tell you a lot about how immersive people like. They don’t fill in from the center seat out like you would think.

One thing I have learned from all these threads is though, in general people once they get their first home theater and go from one or two movies a month to one or two a day at home, start to slowly like more immersion. people going from 720p to 1080p liked more immersion and likewise now moving from 1080p to 4k.

It is an acquired taste and I see it with our guests some of them only go out to a movie once a year some once in 10 years and going from a home TV that’s 42” sitting 10” away to my 110” sitting 8’ away watching IMAX is a bit much. Kids I find adapt very quickly and want the full AV treatment older people not so much.

Bud
post #33 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Stupid question about screen size and viewing distance.

Quote:
Yep. If you bought it, it's your call. ; )

Right after I had my 120" screen installed, my GF said it's too big and complained about having to move her head/eyes around while we were watching football. I honestly don't think I had a response and just rolled my eyes. Which for some reason she never has to see to know I'm doing...

Have you tried sitting further back ?
It’s like Great Depression were I live hope someday I can afford a big tv like that ..... congratulations !!!!
My biggest tv is a 55”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I always find sports immersion interesting. Tennis fans would give anything to sit center court at Wimbledon and flip their neck back and forth for 4 or more hours. 50 yard line seats on the football field are priceless and all the rich and famous sit in the mega-buck seats at half court for NBA.

But at home we like to hardly move our eyes.

Again there is the saying, Happy wife happy life. I don’t know if that extends to GFs.
It's been 10 years. If she wanted to be happy, she should have spoken up sooner... Lol ; )
Craig Peer, bud16415 and Azekecse like this.
post #35 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
Have you tried sitting further back ?
It’s like Great Depression were I live hope someday I can afford a big tv like that ..... congratulations !!!!
My biggest tv is a 55”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd actually like to be sitting a few feet closer. I'm a little outside the window in my recliner, at around 16'-17'. She may be about a foot closer on the couch, in her normal seating position.

Until like the end of '04/start of '05 it was a 27" 4:3 SD CRT where it is now.
post #36 of 47 Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
That would make good numbers to quote in response to future questions about screen size and viewing distance -- that viewing angle preferences stated on this forum run from ~30 to ~70 degrees. That would graphically show just how high a variance in preference range there is and how unpredictable what anyone asking might prefer without them actually experimenting with their own eyes.

I moved as close to my current screen as possible until I felt uncomfortable. Not that I would prefer to sit this close, but thought I would test it out. I got about 44" away from a 72" wide screen. This kept the screen in view of my peripherals and inside of my current prescription glasses, but I would have to move my head to see something on one side of the screen. If my math is correct, this would have been an viewing angle of 80 degrees on my current 16:9 screen.

At my current distance, I have a 40 degree viewing angle.

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
post #37 of 47 Old 03-28-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree you shouldn’t have to move your head around to view a screen just like your viewing angle be so small there is no need to move your eyes.

That leaves what is comfortable eye movement for you along with how much in your eye movement range you wish to remain black. I have said in the above posts this is somewhat based on the cinematography of the particular content as some content is intended to be more immersive such as scope movies. When a theater shows both flat 1.85 movies and scope 2.35 movies they don’t change the seating distances and both movies are shown the same height. The directors know this and they craft the scope movie to have greater horizontal immersion. TV shows may or may not react the same way.

You brought up another great point about HT seating distances and corrected vision. I am farsighted and require reading glasses that are now extending a little more than reading. My vision is still 20/20 at the distance I project though. So watching a movie on my monitor means glasses and FP means no glasses. So for me this is a huge benefit of a big image sitting back more. Glasses in general are restrictive of FOV and do require head movement to keep the frames out of the image.

Our eyes work together pretty well to help remove glasses frames and such. Have you ever noticed with one eye closed you can see your nose but with both open your nose disappears from your vision.

You are taking the right steps to see what works for you. Find a point you like and start there. There is no right or wrong answer and chances are as you get more used to your choice with time you will want even more immersion than you decide on now.
Dave in Green likes this.

Bud
post #38 of 47 Old 03-28-2020, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked: 3858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
I moved as close to my current screen as possible until I felt uncomfortable. Not that I would prefer to sit this close, but thought I would test it out. I got about 44" away from a 72" wide screen. This kept the screen in view of my peripherals and inside of my current prescription glasses, but I would have to move my head to see something on one side of the screen. If my math is correct, this would have been an viewing angle of 80 degrees on my current 16:9 screen.

At my current distance, I have a 40 degree viewing angle.
It's one thing to experiment with a wide viewing angle like that for a few minutes and a totally different thing to try to view a 2-hour action movie from that position. When you reach the point where you can't view a full movie without getting eyestrain you've gone beyond your personal optimum viewing angle for cinematic immersion without eyestrain. Since it varies from person to person the only way to find your own personal optimum viewing angle is through experimentation with full movies.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #39 of 47 Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
When a theater shows both flat 1.85 movies and scope 2.35 movies they don’t change the seating distances and both movies are shown the same height.

You are taking the right steps to see what works for you. Find a point you like and start there. There is no right or wrong answer and chances are as you get more used to your choice with time you will want even more immersion than you decide on now.
Well... The seats may be fixed in place, but there is a huge range of seats and seating/viewing distances available in your average commercial theater. I'd say the average theater at my 'multi-plex' has at least 15 rows of seats if not more.

And I agree that you should sit where you feel comfortable and looks the best to you.
post #40 of 47 Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well... The seats may be fixed in place, but there is a huge range of seats and seating/viewing distances available in your average commercial theater. I'd say the average theater at my 'multi-plex' has at least 15 rows of seats if not more.

And I agree that you should sit where you feel comfortable and looks the best to you.
You are correct there is a wide range of immersion choices in commercial theaters and the most common seats filled run between 2X and 3X the screen height. I tend to disregard the people that like the back row at maybe 3.5X because I think they sit back there for other reasons besides just immersion desires. Same with kids mostly sitting in the very front row once in a while testing out max immersion idea.

I often see a group of 2-4 or so people having a mini conference stopping part way up the stairs. One of them likely liking the closer seats but giving into the groups wishes. Sometimes late comers find their perfect seating location full and thinking closer or farther or more off to the side. I think most people would take back some rather than closer or way off to the sides.

All this is the reason I made my single row HT / Media Room variable immersion. I have one row of seats that do not move but Zoom is the great equalizer in a small space. I have virtual row seating and I can place myself and my guests anyplace any row from 2X to 3.5X in less than 5 seconds, and IMAX up to 1.5X.

When my sister and her husband come over for movie night I might personally like 2X for a given movie, but I know from many years of going to movies with them they like 3X plus. They also don’t like reference level sound and if it is an action movie my subs are a little much for them. They like a passive movie going experience we do enjoy their company so just like if we went to a commercial movie with them we would sit back a ways. On the other hand my nephew loves the full on IMAX experience I can produce he loves the audio full on also. So if it is an IMAX movie like Dunkirk we buckle in and let the immersion fly.

Projectors have one feature TV will never have and that is the Zoom feature, but most people don’t fully enjoy its capabilities.

Bud
post #41 of 47 Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This will probably depend on if you are making your own screen or buying one. After you calculate or otherwise determine what screen size you want, do you go with that size or do you change it to a more standard size that's commercially produced? Is there such a thing as a "standard size" when it comes to projection screens?

Example, you determine the widest 2.35 screen you would want is 138" wide. Would you make yourself a 150" screen or would you make a more "standard" 142" screen? These numbers are just for reference to provide an example.

post #42 of 47 Old 04-01-2020, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
This will probably depend on if you are making your own screen or buying one. After you calculate or otherwise determine what screen size you want, do you go with that size or do you change it to a more standard size that's commercially produced? Is there such a thing as a "standard size" when it comes to projection screens?

Example, you determine the widest 2.35 screen you would want is 138" wide. Would you make yourself a 150" screen or would you make a more "standard" 142" screen? These numbers are just for reference to provide an example.
If you are making your own screen then make it the exact size you want. If you are buying a good high-value screen such as Silver Ticket then find the closest size that works for you from the fixed sizes they offer. If you spending considerably more and buying a better screen from the likes of Stewart and Seymour then you can completely customize the size and also the aspect ratio.

Ross
Witchboard likes this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #43 of 47 Old 04-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm sitting 10' away from a 106" screen with an Epson 5050. My second row is just over 15' away.
I have been contemplating going to 120". I'm worried that the first row would be too close, but then I'm seeing some of you guys are 7-8' from 120 and another guy is 7' from a 135" screen!

Last edited by Maximum7; 04-18-2020 at 11:24 AM.
post #44 of 47 Old 04-17-2020, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I am 10'10" from a 155" 2.35:1 screen - definitely not too close
post #45 of 47 Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I tried to figure this out before hand. Doesn't work.

I bought & mounted the Epson 6050 at 16' 6" throw. My wife & I then spent a few months watching movies on a dark gray wall. Seating distance 11'. Tried different sizes and aspect ratios. Wound up with a 130" wide, 149" diagonal 16:9 Seymour XD with masking panels. We went back and forth many times over what was too big or too small. One day we'd say the large size was good; next day, it was too big with different video material.

The point is---try before you buy. There is no other way to know what you'll like. The saying is: you date your projector and you marry your screen.

Epson Pro Cinema 6050, Seymour Center Stage XD 130"w 150"d 16:9, Onkyo DX-C390 Six-Disk CD Changer
Triad Silver Speakers (11 in a 7.2.4 configuration), 2 JTR 118HT Subwoofers
Yamaha CX-A5200 11 Channel Processor, Monoprice Monolith 11 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray, Sony BDX-BP57 BD/SACD, Harmony Elite Remote, 10 Seats
post #46 of 47 Old 04-18-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC2 View Post
I tried to figure this out before hand. Doesn't work.

I bought & mounted the Epson 6050 at 16' 6" throw. My wife & I then spent a few months watching movies on a dark gray wall. Seating distance 11'. Tried different sizes and aspect ratios. Wound up with a 130" wide, 149" diagonal 16:9 Seymour XD with masking panels. We went back and forth many times over what was too big or too small. One day we'd say the large size was good; next day, it was too big with different video material.

The point is---try before you buy. There is no other way to know what you'll like. The saying is: you date your projector and you marry your screen.
I have been watching projection images at home for almost 20 years and watching them in movie theaters for over 55 years and to this day I still find this to be true.

For that reason in a theater I can control my immersion by what row I’m in and at home I have my zoom control. All cinematography is a little different and it isn’t an issue when you are greatly under-immersive no one watching a 60” TV from 12’ away says the image is too large and most people wouldn’t be inclined to slide their chair ahead to make it a little larger. It is what it is and we just watch it.

When we start getting close to our comfort zone is when we start noticing immersion being too much or wishing for just a little more. I find there are slight differences in person to person and in the same person day to day, and of course content and the type of media it is. Was it intended for the big screen as motion pictures or the small screen as TV. Then there is just what it is about. For me an action/adventure movie responds better to more immersion than a romantic comedy even if both were filmed in scope and intended for the big screen.

The difference between movies and TV is getting closer every year as TVs also get larger and clearer we even see threads now where people are saying enough with projectors and buying an 85” TV and saying good enough.

The thing is for me full immersion can really add something special. So I like taking it close to the edge, but when you do that you have happen like what you described these little difference between people show up. If you don’t want the hassle of having it adjustable like I do then you have to set the bar to the lowest point that everyone is happiest with all of the time.

Bud
post #47 of 47 Old 04-20-2020, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The way I was thinking is you can always shrink it down, but you can only go as big as your screen. After doing additional research, I'm going to be limited in screen size regardless. My room doesn't have the depth to go big and the short throws all seem to be limited to around 100". Maybe a few years in the future they'll have something for me, but right now, it doesn't appear it would be a large upgrade from my rear projection DLP other than getting my center speaker behind the screen rather than mounted over it.

My wife is basically go big or go home. LOL. I do have to agree that if we're not going to get a substantial increase in size, maybe it's not worth it to invest the time and money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page