Calculating Placement of Projector Height - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-06-2020, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Calculating Placement of Projector Height

Using a screen innovations 150 inch black diamond XL screen with an epson 6050ub...

Does the projector (light in) angle have to reflect at the mirror- opposite angle (light out) to align with the viewer’s eye level?

The seating position is 15 feet from the screen, and my eyes are 40 inches off of the ground at this 15 foot position.

The projector will be mounted on a shelf 24 feet from the screen, so a 24 foot throw length.

The 150 inch screen will be 22 inches off of the ground, so the middle of the screen will be 73.5 high /2 = 36.75 middle of screen + 22 inches off of the ground = middle of screen = 58.75 inches off of the ground.

Does the projector (light in) angle have to reflect at the mirror- opposite angle (light out) to align with the viewer’s eye level?

If the projector was going to also be mounted at 15 feet then it should be as simple as subtracting eye height (40 inches) - middle of screen (58.75) = 18.75 (eye height is 18.75 inches below center of screen) and then mounting the projector 18.75 inches above the center of the screen which would be 77.5 inches high. That would have the projected light angle reflect at a mirror opposite into the viewers eyes.

But how do I calculate this when the wall behind me is 24 feet distance and not 15 feet?

How high should the projector be placed on the 24 foot wall behind me to reflect at the optimal angle with the viewers eye level?

I appreciate your help! I think this is a simple trigonometry question but I can't figure out what #'s to plug-in where.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-07-2020, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 521
The literature says so, but I found that when viewing at the angle at which the light beam reflects back, the result was poor.

The image was better with the eye level higher, almost close to the height of the center of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page