• 1 Post By ProjectionHead
  • 2 Post By Don Stewart

post #1 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Grandview screen review

I bought a 112” thin bezel screen 1.3 gain Grandview from dealer because they said i needed “a 4k screen” with my projector upgrade. Honestly it was a $1200 mistake.
It took about 2-3 weeks to receive the screen. It was delivered in a 2 day rainstorm while i was out of town and just left in the grass instead of sheltered on the porch. The box was significantly damaged and the plastic wrapping had come off as well as some external corner protectors. The cardboard was saturated in many locations. Nevertheless, when opened indoors the screen material was well protected and in perfect condition. A single frame piece had some crush bends to the end but was rebent to straight In like 5 seconds and then looked same as new. There are 1/8” diameter rods to hold the screen edges to the pins and 2 of them when removed from inside a piece of undamaged extruded aluminum came out wildly bent on multiple axis from the factory. These took about 10 minutes to straighten to something barely acceptably straight with locking pliers. Then i began liesurely assembling the frame. Small metal slivers came out of the boxes onto my freshly vacuumed carpet. At some point i got a small aluminum splinter in my finger and had to break for removal with fine tweezers. Then i cut one of my fingers on a sharp aluminum edge and had to deal with a small amount of bleeding during the rest of the assembly. Twice i got blood on the projector fabric (despite concentrating on preventing it) but it easily wiped off completely with a damp terrycloth. The instructions were difficult with small pictures and unusual phrases that were clearly not from a native English speaker. There were youtube videos for similar Grandview designs but not mine. The screen was rolled up with the front on the outside which i thought was less than ideal as it needs to be unrolled front up but wasnt that big of a deal. Only tools needed were a phillips screwdriver, pliers to straighten the bent pieces, and a hammer with two blocks of wood to persuade some of the pieces to fully seat. Total assembly was 3-4 hours. The felt bezel is junk and weakly friction fits to the frame edges. The felt covered corner pieces only fit with a slight rotation leaving unprofessional gaps.
But by far the worst problem was the screen material was simply cut too long, perhaps by 2”. There was some moderate vertical tension but absolutely no tension horizontally on the screen. Sadly it is desperately needed to remove to wrinkles from unrolling. The entire screen has numerous deep wrinkles from top to bottom the entire width of the screen. It looks terrible on any single color image or with any panning motion. I know resistant wrinkles have been removed with time, hair dryer, sunlight but the absolute lack of screen tension tells me these may improve slightly but are likely here to stay. This is completely unacceptable for a fixed frame screen.

I will be calling the dealer to get new material that hopefully was cut to the right dimensions. The screen roll had a notice saying something to the effect of wrinkles are not a reason for replacement. I hope i dont have a war. The edges are rolled over and sealed to make a pocket for the 1/8” diameter rods so its not like you can just cut off the extra material.

The screen otherwise seems bright and vivid, but extensive deep wrinkles and slackness make it unuseable and not as good as my old screen at 1/4th the price.

I will update with outcome of my complaint and some photos. I have had good luck with cheaper chinese brands. I wish I had spent slightly more this time and gotten an american Stewart Cima.
rossandwendy likes this.

Last edited by stinkyonion; 05-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post
I bought a 112” thin bezel screen 1.3 gain Grandview from dealer because they said i needed “a 4k screen” with my projector upgrade. Honestly it was a $1200 mistake.
It took about 2-3 weeks to receive the screen. It was delivered in a 2 day rainstorm while i was out of town and just left in the grass instead of sheltered on the porch. The box was significantly damaged and the plastic wrapping had come off as well as some external corner protectors. The cardboard was saturated in many locations. Nevertheless, when opened indoors the screen material was well protected and in perfect condition. A single frame piece had some crush bends to the end but was rebent to straight In like 5 seconds and then looked same as new. There are 1/8” diameter rods to hold the screen edges to the pins and 2 of them when removed from inside a piece of undamaged extruded aluminum came out wildly bent on multiple axis from the factory. These took about 10 minutes to straighten to something barely acceptably straight with locking pliers. Then i began liesurely assembling the frame. Small metal slivers came out of the boxes onto my freshly vacuumed carpet. At some point i got a small aluminum splinter in my finger and had to break for removal with fine tweezers. Then i cut one of my fingers on a sharp aluminum edge and had to deal with a small amount of bleeding during the rest of the assembly. Twice i got blood on the projector fabric (despite concentrating on preventing it) but it easily wiped off completely with a damp terrycloth. The instructions were difficult with small pictures and unusual phrases that were clearly not from a native English speaker. There were youtube videos for similar Grandview designs but not mine. The screen was rolled up with the front on the outside which i thought was less than ideal as it needs to be unrolled front up but wasnt that big of a deal. Only tools needed were a phillips screwdriver, pliers to straighten the bent pieces, and a hammer with two blocks of wood to persuade some of the pieces to fully seat. Total assembly was 3-4 hours. The felt bezel is junk and weakly friction fits to the frame edges. The felt covered corner pieces only fit with a slight rotation leaving unprofessional gaps.
But by far the worst problem was the screen material was simply cut too long, perhaps by 2”. There was some moderate vertical tension but absolutely no tension horizontally on the screen. Sadly it is desperately needed to remove to wrinkles from unrolling. The entire screen has numerous deep wrinkles from top to bottom the entire width of the screen. It looks terrible on any single color image or with any panning motion. I know resistant wrinkles have been removed with time, hair dryer, sunlight but the absolute lack of screen tension tells me these may improve slightly but are likely here to stay. This is completely unacceptable for a fixed frame screen.

I will be calling the dealer to get new material that hopefully was cut to the right dimensions. The screen roll had a notice saying something to the effect of wrinkles are not a reason for replacement. I hope i dont have a war. The edges are rolled over and sealed to make a pocket for the 1/8” diameter rods so its not like you can just cut off the extra material.

The screen otherwise seems bright and vivid, but extensive deep wrinkles and slackness make it unuseable and not as good as my old screen at 1/4th the price.

I will update with outcome of my complaint and some photos. I have had good luck with cheaper chinese brands. I wish I had spent slightly more this time and gotten an american Stewart Cime.
Hi Stinkyonion.

Thank you for your review. I hear stories like yours all the time. That said, I wish more consumers would support American manufactures.
When it comes to screens, that would include Da-Lite, Draper, Seymour, Stewart, etc. Sadly, we are losing our all important manufacturing sector and jobs here at home.
Recently, because of the Covid 19 situation, I was surprised to learn that over 90% of our pharmaceutical antibiotics are now made in Asia.
In my opinion, that is a crime and can be used against us in the future. Anyway, thanks for letting me intrude in your thread. Rant over.
rossandwendy, jsil and Mike Butny like this.

Producers of Professional Precision Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Last edited by Don Stewart; 05-01-2020 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
A friend of mine used to have printed on his shirts the quote "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

"4k screen" is thrown around loosely. You might want to ask your dealer what makes this screen 4k. I am sure Don has seen it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a regular piece of white vinyl screen.

And Don I understand what you are saying. The manufacturer of my spectrophotometer moved their manufacturing overseas and let go of all of the techs. Fast forward about a decade and it is more expensive to make said instruments overseas than if they had continued making them here.
Don Stewart likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was ripped off worse than I thought. My old screen was a 100" generic chinese screen purchased from Visualapex in 2011 for $300 that has served me well. I put the new screen and the old screen side by side so each filled 50% of projector image and watched multiple source materials in HD and 4k from my new JVC NX5. There is no difference in picture quality except the new one has wrinkles. It is the same material that hasn't changed in nearly 10 years. The new screen at quadruple the price is missing the black backing (so light slightly shines through onto wall behind), has a thin bezel (more stylish maybe), velvet cladding wont stay on properly, material cut too large. I swear the appearance/gain/texture/colors/image is THE SAME, probably the same as every other white Chinese screen from the last 10 years all same fabric different frame. Another Silver Ticket clone.

Nonreturnable. They want pictures of the wrinkles to decide if will replace screen material. I could have bought several Silver Tickets and at least would have been cut correctly (probably). Should have bought American.
rossandwendy and Craig Peer like this.

Last edited by stinkyonion; 05-01-2020 at 04:55 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4011 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
How is the screen attached?

If you want to modify it, then it may be salvageable. Mike Garrett posted a thread somewhere about using a system called Fabricmate.

If you just want to cut your losses, then give Craig Peer or Mike a call and see what they can do for you.
Craig Peer likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi Stinkyonion.

Thank you for your review. I hear stories like yours all the time. That said, I wish more consumers would support American manufactures.
When it comes to screens, that would include Da-Lite, Draper, Seymour, Stewart, etc. Sadly, we are losing our all important manufacturing sector and jobs here at home.
Recently, because of the Covid 19 situation, I was surprised to learn that over 90% of our pharmaceutical antibiotics are now made in Asia.
In my opinion, that is a crime and can be used against us in the future. Anyway, thanks for letting me intrude in your thread. Rant over.

I said months ago, that hopefully "we" take this unfortunate situation as a wake-up call. We are ludicrously vulnerable and completely at the mercy of a lot of other nations that we rarely see eye-to-eye with politically. Over the last few years, because of cancer causing contaminants, basically almost all of the "high blood pressure" medicine has been either recalled or notices had to be sent out that it contained cancer causing contaminants. And it was all(or almost all) made in China/Asia.
Don Stewart likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hopefully your dealer stands behind you to make this right, but this is why I generally like to always buy things with a credit card, because you have leverage through the CC company if you get bad merchandise(or just never receive it).
post #8 of 11 Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I still hate this screen. Company not receptive. Clearly miscut and wrinkles will never go away. They wanted me to wait For screen to relax. I waited but nothing happened. My old screen had gentle tension and was absolutely flat. This one could be a soup bowl.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
I still hate this screen. Company not receptive. Clearly miscut and wrinkles will never go away. They wanted me to wait For screen to relax. I waited but nothing happened. My old screen had gentle tension and was absolutely flat. This one could be a soup bowl.
I sent a link to this thread to the Director of Grandview Screen USA. He's concerned and wants to help you. PM me if you'd like his contact details.
rossandwendy likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10652
Quote:
I tried relaxing yesterday with a glass of scotch to see if my wrinkles would go away. Didn't help. I hope you get this fixed - it's not acceptable - especially brand new with wrinkles.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Sorry to hear you have not resolved your problem with your imported screen. You stated in your opening post that you purchased you screen from an AV dealer. That said, your dealer should be going to bat for you. It is the dealer's responsibility to make sure you are properly taken care when you received a defective product. You should not have to to battle directly with the manufacture to get your problem corrected. Just sayin.
Craig Peer and rossandwendy like this.

Producers of Professional Precision Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page