1Likes
  • 1 Post By noob00224

post #1 of 12 Old 05-01-2020, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ALR vs CLR short throw

I've been checking out UST projectors as of late and it seems a CLR screen is the way to go. I own the Elite ALR screen Cinegrey 5d maerial and built a screen from that and it's great. How well will the ALR screen work with UST projectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
They're two different designs. ALR screens are not for use with UST projectors. They're designed to receive/reflect light from straight ahead and reject light from multiple off-axis angles. UST projectors are projecting at an extremely steep angle, basically from under the screen, so the screen material is designed to "catch" the light coming from underneath and project it forward towards the viewer and as part of that design it helps to "reject" ambient light coming from above the screen. If you look at a close-up or cross section of UST CLR(Ceiling Light Rejection) screen, it looks like louvers. UST screens are a must for good results from a UST projector.

UST CLR

ALR

Last edited by Run&Gun; 05-01-2020 at 08:48 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-02-2020, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 532
@Run&Gun the second image if for retro reflective ALR screens, not angular.
This is how angular ALRs should work:

UST projectors are inferior when compared to non UST throw projectors in the same price range.

Additionally, UST ALRs (lenticular) are designed to deal with light primarily from above. Angular ALRs like the Cinegrey 5D are like a mirror, and will help with ambient light coming from all sides.
If a UST projector is placed in front of an angular ALR screen, the light will go at the same angle but up, so in the ceiling.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ection-screens
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...g-screens-work
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...rfect-together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	071818_sweet_spot-throw_angle_promo.png
Views:	211
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	2720176  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-15-2020, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey,

I wanted to share my experience. I just bought a P1 UST Projector and I paired it with the Elite ALR screen Cinegrey 5d based on the great reviews. Once I got everything set up I was going through a different review and saw the screen was not designed for UST projectors. Maybe I'm so new to this I don't know what I'm missing, but the picture looks great and I'm getting lots of compliments. I'd take it down and purchase a CLR if it were a major issue, but I see the work of taking it down and installing another screen as a ton of work. I'm not sure all that work is worth it, plus the hassle of trying to return the screen I already assembled.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought I'd add pictures for reference...ESPN and streaming Avengers through Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2726848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2726850  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2020, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Berry View Post
Hey,

I wanted to share my experience. I just bought a P1 UST Projector and I paired it with the Elite ALR screen Cinegrey 5d based on the great reviews. Once I got everything set up I was going through a different review and saw the screen was not designed for UST projectors. Maybe I'm so new to this I don't know what I'm missing, but the picture looks great and I'm getting lots of compliments. I'd take it down and purchase a CLR if it were a major issue, but I see the work of taking it down and installing another screen as a ton of work. I'm not sure all that work is worth it, plus the hassle of trying to return the screen I already assembled.
Quote:
I thought I'd add pictures for reference...ESPN and streaming Avengers through Amazon.
A UST screen would prevent most of that image skip/bounce onto/off of your ceiling.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
While pictures may not reflect how the screen looks like in real life, those pictures are not great. Angular ALR screens are like a mirror, which is why you see image reflected in the ceiling.
Run&Gun likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-16-2020, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Any daytime pics?

Chiq B5U | 100” Snowhite UST Screen | Pioneer Elite LX-503 | 7.2.4 Surround | Sony Core Series LCR + Atmos | Cambridge Min 12 Side Surrounds | Monoprice Rear Atmos Surrounds | Bic V1020 x2
post #9 of 12 Old 05-18-2020, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
While pictures may not reflect how the screen looks like in real life, those pictures are not great. Angular ALR screens are like a mirror, which is why you see image reflected in the ceiling.
These or not the results I get with my Grandview, absolutely no light hits the ceiling as it's reflected directly back at the user. There should be no light on the ceiling. Do you have a link to the exact model purchased?

Also, the elite aeon CLR for UST can only resolve 1080p pixels, not UHD pixels due to the surface. Some will say this is a non issue, and maybe they are right. I would of liked to be able to compare all these screens in person to do a comparison. I may see if I can get sample material to compare. At least for the Elite and XY screens as they appear to be the most cost friendly solution.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
@diggumsmax - in your second video you say " Please note that the screen is not 100% level as I've got to replace the material." Why do you need to replace the material?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dirtypanda View Post
@diggumsmax - in your second video you say " Please note that the screen is not 100% level as I've got to replace the material." Why do you need to replace the material?
There was a very tiny imperfection in the original material sent. The authorized retailer I purchased it through had new material shipped and was there within 5 business days so wonderful turn around time and was shipped directly from Grandview. It probably would have been there faster but it shipped from California and I live in Florida. I also can't speak enough about the very quick response from where I purchased with updates on the replacement material during the process. Probably the best customer support experience I've ever had.

When looking at the second video you can see some light on the top right corner. This was user error as the left side (when looking at the screen) was roughly a 1/4th of an inch higher. I measured about ten times before drilling any holes but I still somehow hanged it and it was off so that is 100% user error. I used the smart fit app for the 1st link which works great although I now have it hanged level so not using smart fit anymore. Once I got the replacement material I leveled the screen before putting on the new material.

When it's mounted you can adjust the screen but only by roughly 0.25"s up or down so not a lot of wiggle room. This can be done by adjust the screws on the four mounting brackets that hold the frame to the wall. You can move the frame left or right before securing tightly with the screws on the brackets so that's a non issue.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but hanging the screen frame with no material and making sure everything lined with my P1 using the frame, minus the roughly 1" bezel worked perfectly for alignment. I then took the frame off the wall put on the replacement material,. The replacement material was flawless with absolutely zero issues and I couldn't be happier with the P1/Grandview combo.

The price of the Grandview has dropped by quite a bit, at least from where I purchased as I was looking yesterday just to see. I would of gone with 110"s as there was a much larger difference in price for 110" from the 100" screen at the time of purchase. 120" would of required a new home theater cabinet/credenza which I didn't want to do.

That is just the cost of being a somewhat early adopter though and was totally expected. Grandview appears to be the only one who sells a 110" model outside Da-Lite and SI although both of those are twice the price of the Grandview. Seems like everyone else is 100"s and 120"s with no in between.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2020, 04:27 PM

I noticed this today. Apparently there is an Elite Screens Aeon CLR 2 out but it has less ALR then the original (65%). I imagine this is due to it being compatible with both UST and Ultra Short Throw Projectors. This screen is specifically marked as 4k/8K ready, where the original was only rated for 1080p even though Elite says it can do 8k per their own data sheet. With that said the tab tension system on the electric version does not look like it would work well with UST, especially when you compare it to the Vividstorm. It's using weights and traditional tab tension system from the screenshots. I have a feeling this is going to be marketed more towards short throw then UST though as they are coming out with a CLR @3 version sometime in 2020.

I only noticed was when looking at the comparison sheet they have posted on their site for the CLR 3 version coming out sometime in 2020. While it has 85% ALR vs 95% for the original, it is saying it has a gain of 0.9 so that should be interesting to see when it comes out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page