Looking for screen for basement with HT2150ST projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave in Green

post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2020, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for screen for basement with HT2150ST projector

Would be looking for a high-quality manual pull down screen in the range of 100-120". We will be using a BenQ HT2150ST mainly using for movies as well as gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-03-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 671
There are no high quality manual pull down screens that I know of. Your projector is a short throw so the flatness of the screen is more critical then even with a longer throw projector. Any waves in the screen due to the steeper angle of projection will cause annoying shadows in the image. To get a drop screen to stay flat it needs to be tab tensioned, they are all electric to my knowledge and can cost considerable more. Standard pull down screens are almost always going to wrinkle and curl to some extent over time or even right out of the box. Whats your budget and what size are you interested in, the bigger they are the worse the issue is and even tab tensioned can sometime curl also.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

My budget is around $200 to $300 Canadian. I am interested in a 100 to 120" I can increase my budget if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-03-2020, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waloshin View Post
My budget is around $200 to $300 Canadian. I am interested in a 100 to 120" I can increase my budget if needed.
$600 to $800 US is a more likely cost of your less expensive tab tensioned assuming your not needing any thing special like acoustic transparent or ALR and go up considerably more for premium models. If you need to stick to your budget silver ticket is the most recommended but rarely will a non tab tensioned screen stay flat so it all depends on what your willing to except for flaws in the image as some people are more tolerant then others.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 6 Old 05-04-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4351 Post(s)
Liked: 3791
Over the years on this forum the Da-Lite Model C has gotten consistently high reviews among manual retractable screens. Unlike most competitors the Model C has a larger case with larger internal rollers to help minimize waves and heavy duty steel ball bearings instead of nylon. A quick search shows it available in the US for ~$400. Not sure about Canada.

While it's true that shorter throw projectors tend to show screen waves more than longer throw models the HT2150ST is not an extremely short throw model. For a 110" image the HT2150ST needs to be mounted between 5' 6" and 6' 8" lens to screen. If you mounted 6' 8" from a reasonably flat retractable screen like the Model C it should produce acceptable results.

Obviously a fixed screen is going to be the flattest option with the least chance of developing waves and a 110" Silver Ticket fixed screen would be about half the price of a Model C. But if you must have a retractable screen the Model C would be a solid choice if you don't want to pay the extra premium for a tab tension retractable screen.
rossandwendy and LeftyLeff52 like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-06-2020, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Over the years on this forum the Da-Lite Model C has gotten consistently high reviews among manual retractable screens. Unlike most competitors the Model C has a larger case with larger internal rollers to help minimize waves and heavy duty steel ball bearings instead of nylon. A quick search shows it available in the US for ~$400. Not sure about Canada.

While it's true that shorter throw projectors tend to show screen waves more than longer throw models the HT2150ST is not an extremely short throw model. For a 110" image the HT2150ST needs to be mounted between 5' 6" and 6' 8" lens to screen. If you mounted 6' 8" from a reasonably flat retractable screen like the Model C it should produce acceptable results.

Obviously a fixed screen is going to be the flattest option with the least chance of developing waves and a 110" Silver Ticket fixed screen would be about half the price of a Model C. But if you must have a retractable screen the Model C would be a solid choice if you don't want to pay the extra premium for a tab tension retractable screen.
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately the Model C sells for a ridiculous $1400 in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page