VPLVW295ES ALR Screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VPLVW295ES ALR Screens

I recently bought a new projector, huge upgrade from my entry level Benq 1070. I was looking for input on screen gain recommendations. I know the projector is lower on the lumen side and i do no have a dedicated home theater room yet. It will be in my living room, but i have black out shades and lights that dim etc.

I was recommended an tab-tensioned ALR screen with a gain of 2.0 and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the that high of a gain. They are calling this screen a PET substitute for long throw projectors.

I was also trying to find out if ALR screens are made in motorized formats, i would actually prefer a motorized tension screen, but the supplier i spoke with in china said they cannot ship over 100" because of length being past a 3m restriction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudsrainsuncrab View Post
I recently bought a new projector, huge upgrade from my entry level Benq 1070. I was looking for input on screen gain recommendations. I know the projector is lower on the lumen side and i do no have a dedicated home theater room yet. It will be in my living room, but i have black out shades and lights that dim etc.

I was recommended an tab-tensioned ALR screen with a gain of 2.0 and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the that high of a gain. They are calling this screen a PET substitute for long throw projectors.

I was also trying to find out if ALR screens are made in motorized formats, i would actually prefer a motorized tension screen, but the supplier i spoke with in china said they cannot ship over 100" because of length being past a 3m restriction.
The best way to go about this is to treat the room. It will look better and be less expensive. Even a curtain system would be better:
https://www.facebook.com/projectiond...2721894385217/

Not sure what you mean by PET substitute. Are you referring to the XY Screens model in 2.0 gain?

The first issue that needs to be resolved is screen diagonal. This is partially dependent on seating distance.
So how far away do you sit? Or have you decided on a screen size?

ALR screens require some distance to avoid artifacts like hotspots and sparkle. Generally speaking they should be placed at 1.9x throw ratio or longer. Screens that can handle a lower throw ratio are much more expensive.
What is the length of the room?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The best way to go about this is to treat the room. It will look better and be less expensive. Even a curtain system would be better:

Not sure what you mean by PET substitute. Are you referring to the XY Screens model in 2.0 gain?

The first issue that needs to be resolved is screen diagonal. This is partially dependent on seating distance.
So how far away do you sit? Or have you decided on a screen size?

ALR screens require some distance to avoid artifacts like hotspots and sparkle. Generally speaking they should be placed at 1.9x throw ratio or longer. Screens that can handle a lower throw ratio are much more expensive.
What is the length of the room?

It will about 13.5-14ft away from the screen, but could be closer. I would like to do a 110" screen. Seating would be closer to 12ft away. The way the room is situated there is only 2 ways to mount the projector. 1 of the walls is full of windows. Another wall has a fireplace (which is why i preferred the motorized screen to come down from the ceiling and being there. The wall across the is only place to mount a tab tension screen. Currently have a 92" tab screen (cinegrey/elitescreens) and the couch against the fireplace, but it definitely looks odd.

I do have blackout curtains that i can lower and raise as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It will about 13.5-14ft away from the screen, but could be closer. I would like to do a 110" screen. Seating would be closer to 12ft away. The way the room is situated there is only 2 ways to mount the projector. 1 of the walls is full of windows. Another wall has a fireplace (which is why i preferred the motorized screen to come down from the ceiling and being there. The wall across the is only place to mount a tab tension screen. Currently have a 92" tab screen (cinegrey/elitescreens) and the couch against the fireplace, but it definitely looks odd.

I do have blackout curtains that i can lower and raise as needed.
I'm referring to black out curtains on the walls, so they eliminate reflection.

Screen dimension is based on user preference, but 110" from 12' is small. The average from 12' would be from 120 to 144". Or a scope screen, but it would still be larger than 110".

With an 110" from 14' the throw ratio is 1.75x. This is what a projector in low lumen mode and an ALR screen of 1.0 gain looks like. You can see the center is brighter than the edges.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...en-oh-god.html

There are ALR screens that don't artifact at ~1.5x but they are north of $4000. This is why I asked how long is the room. If the projector can be placed further back the hotspot/sparkle issues would be alleviated.

The other option would be to paint an electric screen. The paint mixture would be customized so no artifacts, and it would have some ALR properties.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I could get a 120" instead, i think i was quoted a 50$ difference for 110-120". I could do that though if that would help with hot-spotting at this distance. The painting sounds very interesting, but XY told me they cant ship over 100" in motorized screen at this time and i would prefer bigger.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I could get a 120" instead, i think i was quoted a 50$ difference for 110-120". I could do that though if that would help with hot-spotting at this distance. The painting sounds very interesting, but XY told me they cant ship over 100" in motorized screen at this time and i would prefer bigger.
No, a larger screen would mean a shorter throw ratio, which would increase artifacting. Also keep in mind that the screen in that link is 1.0 and the projector was at ~500 lumens. The gain on the XY 2.0 screen is 2.0 and the projector would be set to at least 800-1000 lumens. All of this would worsen the artifacts significantly.

Also there have been some quality control issues with XY screens:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...review-11.html

Maybe project on a wall or something or sit closer to estimate what screen size you feel comfortable. It would be costly to replace the screen if it's not the right size.

I asked in the previous post what is the room length. If the projector can be placed further back an ALR screen can be used.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2020, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
No, a larger screen would mean a shorter throw ratio, which would increase artifacting. Also keep in mind that the screen in that link is 1.0 and the projector was at ~500 lumens. The gain on the XY 2.0 screen is 2.0 and the projector would be set to at least 800-1000 lumens. All of this would worsen the artifacts significantly.

Also there have been some quality control issues with XY screens:

Maybe project on a wall or something or sit closer to estimate what screen size you feel comfortable. It would be costly to replace the screen if it's not the right size.

I asked in the previous post what is the room length. If the projector can be placed further back an ALR screen can be used.
Ah, okay. I didn't realize a bigger screen would make it worse. I am having them send me multiple fabrics for testing. I also found another vendor with an 8k ALR fabric with a gain of 1. The more i read about it, i am not sure i need such a high gain and i may not even need an ALR screen. My current one isnt, but my current projector has about 500 more lumens.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, okay. I didn't realize a bigger screen would make it worse. I am having them send me multiple fabrics for testing. I also found another vendor with an 8k ALR fabric with a gain of 1. The more i read about it, i am not sure i need such a high gain and i may not even need an ALR screen. My current one isnt, but my current projector has about 500 more lumens.
I don't even know what the 8K fabric is but it sounds fake and poor quality. Unless it's very expensive. Many manufacturers are not honest about the real gain.

If the room is not treated, an ALR screen will have a positive effect, if it would be placed back far enough.

You can't tell hotspot with a sample, unless you take pictures with it in the center and side, and compare.

I've already posted the facebook video and explained this issue already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page