UST, dark room, viewing upward or not? Ceiling reflections? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Run&Gun
  • 1 Post By Run&Gun

post #1 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
UST, dark room, viewing upward or not? Ceiling reflections?

My man cave/home office is under construction. I plan on going with an UST projector, likely Vava or Optoma. The room will be completely light controlled with no windows, so no ALR screens for me. I plan on a 120" screen with the opposite wall and back of the seating distance at 123" away. The projector wall is 115" in height. The opposite wall is only 64" in height, so the ceiling will slope towards the seated viewer at an ~18 degree angle. How high, then, should I mount the screen? I figure I could go 36" off the floor and then recline a bit in my seat, looking somewhat upwards. The screen height is 59", so 59+36 = 95, leaving 20" to the ceiling and hopefully reducing reflections. The ceiling will be either dark grey, dark brown, or black. Walls will be dark brown. Floor will likely be dark brown as well, with a textured vinyl or fake wood.
Or should I drop the screen down to 24" off the floor and look more straight? Or even raise up 48" off the floor, which will make it easy to get the center speaker at the same height as left and right?

Then comes screen choice. Silver Ticket looks like a budget choice. White. 1.1 gain. $250. I have no idea how much more expensive a better screen is, nor how much better the screen would get for the money. Stewart Cima Neve was highly regarded by at least a couple posters here, but is it worth $1800 or so? At that price, am I better off paying the drywall guy more money to make a flatter wall and then just paint it?

As far as colors and contrast go, I've been an OLED guy for a while. We have a 1st gen 55" LG OLED. This laptop is OLED. My phone is OLED. And I realized that the colors didn't matter to me as much as screen size. I just don't know how much more color and contrast I'll get with a nicer screen. The difference between OLED and high end LCD is noticeable but not bothersome to me. The difference between a high end LCD and a low-end LCD is huge to me and would bother me. There's, of course, no way for me to go to a store and check things out right now. Flying blind, here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious View Post
My man cave/home office is under construction. I plan on going with an UST projector, likely Vava or Optoma. The room will be completely light controlled with no windows, so no ALR screens for me. I plan on a 120" screen with the opposite wall and back of the seating distance at 123" away. The projector wall is 115" in height. The opposite wall is only 64" in height, so the ceiling will slope towards the seated viewer at an ~18 degree angle. How high, then, should I mount the screen? I figure I could go 36" off the floor and then recline a bit in my seat, looking somewhat upwards. The screen height is 59", so 59+36 = 95, leaving 20" to the ceiling and hopefully reducing reflections. The ceiling will be either dark grey, dark brown, or black. Walls will be dark brown. Floor will likely be dark brown as well, with a textured vinyl or fake wood.
Or should I drop the screen down to 24" off the floor and look more straight? Or even raise up 48" off the floor, which will make it easy to get the center speaker at the same height as left and right?

Then comes screen choice. Silver Ticket looks like a budget choice. White. 1.1 gain. $250. I have no idea how much more expensive a better screen is, nor how much better the screen would get for the money. Stewart Cima Neve was highly regarded by at least a couple posters here, but is it worth $1800 or so? At that price, am I better off paying the drywall guy more money to make a flatter wall and then just paint it?

As far as colors and contrast go, I've been an OLED guy for a while. We have a 1st gen 55" LG OLED. This laptop is OLED. My phone is OLED. And I realized that the colors didn't matter to me as much as screen size. I just don't know how much more color and contrast I'll get with a nicer screen. The difference between OLED and high end LCD is noticeable but not bothersome to me. The difference between a high end LCD and a low-end LCD is huge to me and would bother me. There's, of course, no way for me to go to a store and check things out right now. Flying blind, here.
USTs are rather expensive. Have you looked at regular throw projectors, if they are compatible with that setup?
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Eps...UBe-Review.htm

The screen size is about right for that distance.

The room could handle a projector with good black level, but that ceiling is a problem. A great option is a JVC NX5.
DLP, UST or not have poor contrast. A UST that can sort of match the 5050UB in black level, with the Epson working without the iris and the DLP with, can cost ~$5K.

Grey/ALR screens are not just for fighting ambient light, they improve black level as well.

If a UST is the only option there you'll have a hard time getting good black level.

Getting samples is a good idea. Screen quality matter, but if you've never had a projector before the difference between a white ST and something more expensive is subtle. They don't increase contrast/color in a very obvious manner.

If the wall is smooth, paints can be used:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...rt-temper.html

They can be grey/with other components to increase contrast and black level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
What you want to do is lay back in your typical viewing position with your eyes shut. When you open your eyes you should be looking at the vertical point on the wall where your vision naturally falls. For most people that point should be around or somewhat below where the vertical center of the screen should be positioned. The more you can fine tune this before permanently mounting the screen the more comfortable you're likely to be when viewing. When I sit in my reclining chair with eyes shut and then open my eyes my eyesight naturally falls at a higher point on the wall when the chair is reclined than when it's upright.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you’re going with a UST projector, you must get a UST screen or you’re wasting your money. At 120”, you’re going to be in at least the ~$1300 ballpark. And the screen and projector are tied together as far as placement height and distance of the projector and screen, so you will need to factor that into the placement. For example, with my LG HU85, I believe the screen has to be a tick over 10” above the projector for a 120” image. My projector is sitting on a fixed height cabinet and can’t go any lower, so I had no choice in the height of the screen placement, it had to go where it had to go. So I’d check the placement/separation specs for the specific UST projector for the image size you want and see if you will be able to place everything in an acceptable position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
If you’re going with a UST projector, you must get a UST screen or you’re wasting your money. At 120”, you’re going to be in at least the ~$1300 ballpark. And the screen and projector are tied together as far as placement height and distance of the projector and screen, so you will need to factor that into the placement. For example, with my LG HU85, I believe the screen has to be a tick over 10” above the projector for a 120” image. My projector is sitting on a fixed height cabinet and can’t go any lower, so I had no choice in the height of the screen placement, it had to go where it had to go. So I’d check the placement/separation specs for the specific UST projector for the image size you want and see if you will be able to place everything in an acceptable position.
Needing a UST screen in a dark room contradicts much of what I've read from other sources. Remember, this is a 100% light controlled room. The worst there will be are LEDs on electronic devices with black tape over them. So do you still say that in a blacked out room? What is your reasoning?

I can have the projector on the floor, on an entertainment center, and even on a custom stand. I can cut the entertainment center's top and put the projector on the lower level. Lots of options for placement. I looked at the Optoma manual and the narrow range of possible locations are well within what I can do. I get not everybody has that flexibility.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Needing a UST screen in a dark room contradicts much of what I've read from other sources. Remember, this is a 100% light controlled room. The worst there will be are LEDs on electronic devices with black tape over them. So do you still say that in a blacked out room? What is your reasoning?

I can have the projector on the floor, on an entertainment center, and even on a custom stand. I can cut the entertainment center's top and put the projector on the lower level. Lots of options for placement. I looked at the Optoma manual and the narrow range of possible locations are well within what I can do. I get not everybody has that flexibility.

Doesn't matter if it's a 100% light controlled room. Just look at how UST projectors and screens work. UST projectors are projecting the image at a VERY steep angle relative to the screen/viewing surface. They are basically under the screen. UST screens are more or less catching the light coming from underneath at that steep angle and reflecting it forward towards the viewer in a very uniform manner. They also help with the contrast and black level.

It's kind of like buying a nice performance car and putting the wrong tires on it. Yeah, it's probably gonna get you back and forth to the grocery store at 35mph, but that's about it.

Voracious likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Doesn't matter if it's a 100% light controlled room. Just look at how UST projectors and screens work. UST projectors are projecting the image at a VERY steep angle relative to the screen/viewing surface. They are basically under the screen. UST screens are more or less catching the light coming from underneath at that steep angle and reflecting it forward towards the viewer in a very uniform manner. They also help with the contrast and black level.

It's kind of like buying a nice performance car and putting the wrong tires on it. Yeah, it's probably gonna get you back and forth to the grocery store at 35mph, but that's about it.
Thanks, that image makes everything clearer. The last image I saw showed a different design.

Also regular tires on a performance rwd car are a lot of slippery fun. 😊 Slip>grip!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

So then which brands and models should I consider?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that image makes everything clearer. The last image I saw showed a different design.

Also regular tires on a performance rwd car are a lot of slippery fun. 😊 Slip>grip!
I used to run cheater slicks on my RX-7 in high school. Rain and covered railroad crossing(you know, the ones with metal plates in the road) were always fun if you shifted at the "wrong" time.

Quote:
So then which brands and models should I consider?

I'm using the Elite Screens 120" UST Aeon CLR. I think it's one of(if not) the least expensive UST screens, staying within the confines of legitimate name brand manufacturers with authorized sales/distribution located in the US. Even less than Silver Ticket, last I checked.
Voracious likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I used to run cheater slicks on my RX-7 in high school. Rain and covered railroad crossing(you know, the ones with metal plates in the road) were always fun if you shifted at the "wrong" time.

I'm using the Elite Screens 120" UST Aeon CLR. I think it's one of(if not) the least expensive UST screens, staying within the confines of legitimate name brand manufacturers with authorized sales/distribution located in the US. Even less than Silver Ticket, last I checked.
My FRS slips no matter what tires it's got, and it only has 200HP.

Which projector did you get?

Optoma is more expensive but better input lag.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-10-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
My FRS slips no matter what tires it's got, and it only has 200HP.

Which projector did you get?

Optoma is more expensive but better input lag.
I have the LG HU85.

Lag for gaming is fine if you use the "Game" setting. I play MK11 all the time without issues. But you do have to switch the profile to Game.

HU85 with ES UST Screen, blinds and curtains open(west and north windows) approx. 7:30pm tonight. Bright/colorful content is fine with light, but dark content will wash out and you'll want to nix the light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	2724178  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page