Yet Another 2.35:1 or 16:9 Thread...cannot decide - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked: 1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
It isn't:

31.97% larger diagonal
74.15% larger area

Based on a 49" height.

Your 16:9 figure for a scope film should be:
36x87 = 3132 sq inches

This is because only part of the screen is active showing scope content.
Of course you are correct the screen is 35%. The larger scope image is 74% larger than the smaller letter boxed scope image.

Of course that same relationship is true if the screen is sized for IMAX. The IMAX movie will be 82% larger than on the CIH screen.

That’s why they call it the IMAX Experience!

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post
I'm sure you know this, but for the record- one can get an AT Studiotek 130.

Yes, there is a trade-off. A little brightness is lost, but the benefit of placing speakers behind the screen more than makes up for it. The larger the screen, the more of a distraction it is to have the center speaker located above or below. I notice it (the sonic location) easily, and it really bugs me. I noticed it even with an old 35" CRT T.V., with the center speaker on top.

Having the dialogue come from the proper location is a tremendous benefit!
That's why you need to put a speaker above and below the screen. See post #24 ...
rossandwendy likes this.
post #33 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2410 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Of course you are correct the screen is 35%. The larger scope image is 74% larger than the smaller letter boxed scope image.

Of course that same relationship is true if the screen is sized for IMAX. The IMAX movie will be 82% larger than on the CIH screen.

That’s why they call it the IMAX Experience!
And if you feel that ~1% of IMAX content is worth sizing around, by all means do it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
And if you feel that ~1% of IMAX content is worth sizing around, by all means do it.
Rarely do I watch all the movies that have ever been made. So the important number is the number or percentage of times I will use that screen area out of the things I watch. If I just totally watched IMAX movies then I would use it 100% of the time. But of course I don’t do that.

I do use some of that area at least 50% of the time though. I increase the height of a lot of sports viewing because if you ever noticed a lot of sports has little action and mostly graphics on the top and bottom of the screen. I also use some of the area watching old movies re-mastered is best shot in 1.375:1 Academy AR. The original Wizard of Oz begs to be shown Taller. Of course that is a personal choice and I know you wouldn’t like it taller but you and I know what we like and it is up to others thinking about all this to give a movie like Oz a test run on a blank wall and see what they think. Then there is Streaming TV and movies and series that never made it to any commercial theater. IMHO Game of Thrones supports a taller presentation than Wheel of Fortune if someone would like to watch WoF on their projector. Both are TV and I don’t know what TV one person may watch over another or how immersive they may like.

I have never figured out how many times I break the CIH line with a screen area sized for IMAX and what percentage that is, but if I had to guess it would be 60%. Keeping in mind when I watch scope it is as tall and as wide as I like.

How often do i use all of it? less than 2% maybe. But that 2% is a real treat.
rossandwendy likes this.

Bud
post #35 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
That's why you need to put a speaker above and below the screen. See post #24 ...
Which is generally frowned upon due to phase/timing issues, comb filtering, etc....

That said, the strategy might be preferable for some. I've found a phantom center (only left & right fronts) actually works very well if set up properly, and listened too in the sweet spot.
post #36 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
I'm sure you know this, but for the record- one can get an AT Studiotek 130.

Yes, there is a trade-off. A little brightness is lost, but the benefit of placing speakers behind the screen more than makes up for it. The larger the screen, the more of a distraction it is to have the center speaker located above or below. I notice it (the sonic location) easily, and it really bugs me. I noticed it even with an old 35" CRT T.V., with the center speaker on top.

Having the dialogue come from the proper location is a tremendous benefit!
Yes, problem is that I can see the holes in the perf screen from 11 feet, so no bueno when combined with the light loss. If I couldn't see them, I'd probably have gone that route.

Plus, as much as I'd like having the voice from the screen, there is a noticeable issue with that, too. So often, the person speaking is not in the middle of the screen, so it's still not located properly when you listen and analyze it. Rarely do sound mixers properly use both the left and right speakers to image the voice to the right part of the screen. And 90% of the sound in the left and right speakers is from action taking place off the screen, so those definitely need to be outside of the screen imo.

I keep my center channel up really close to the screen, so I get pretty good voice location (the tweeter is only 16 inches below the outside speaker tweeters from 11 feet away). And when watching movies for the first time (not testing with the same reference material over and over as we enthusiasts tend to do), I honestly do not get distracted by it whatsoever.

Of course, everybody's room is different and we all have our personal prefernences.
rossandwendy likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #37 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
But doesn't that image strangely from different seats?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #38 of 45 Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
But doesn't that image strangely from different seats?
Not that we can determine. The AVR room correction "sees" the dual centers as one speaker. It compensates accordingly. Every seat (including the sides) in our HT is a good one. As I mentioned, at first I was worried about phase and/or comb filtering. However, as far as we can tell, it's not a problem. The dialog is rock solid anchored in the middle of the screen. Also, I am very particular about sound. Our front 3 mains that hold down the soundfield are Salks.
It's cheap to give it a shot (especially considering what we AVSers do to improve things).
As Mikey said "Try it, you'll like it"
rossandwendy likes this.
post #39 of 45 Old 05-21-2020, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That said, the strategy might be preferable for some. I've found a phantom center (only left & right fronts) actually works very well if set up properly, and listened too in the sweet spot.
I agree and with my RL mains toed in just a little that sweet spot is larger than I would have thought. Very good for the two center seats in our row of 4. when we do have guests we take the outer seats and sometimes I turn the center back on and when I don’t its not much of a problem. I do think different people have way different levels they are ok with.

Bud
post #40 of 45 Old 05-21-2020, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
You could go with a 153" 2.40:1 screen and a120" 16:9 screen will fit inside and be the same height. Would either need a projector like and Epson or JVC with lens memory to go between the two size or a anamorphic lens. I am thinking of doing this screen with an Epson 5050 or something like it and eyes to screen would be 11' to 12'.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #41 of 45 Old 05-21-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got the 5040UBe refurbished ordered a couple minutes ago. I have been religiously checking the website every 30 minutes or so and the 5040UB never came in stock for the past week and a half, so when i saw the 5040UBe in stock, I decided to jest spend the extra $100 and get it ordered.

I haven't been on here in a little while and just read through most of the replies. I feel confident in going with the 2.35 screen so I can have approx 120" diagonal 16:9 content, and then have the full width for 2.35:1 content.

Some of you had concerns on image quality on the Silver Ticket AT screens. Should I not go with AT screen and mount my speakers next to and below my screen? If I decide to stick with the AT screen, should I place my center channel in the middle of the screen (from top to bottom), or is it always supposed to go towards the bottom of the screen?
post #42 of 45 Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proell View Post
Some of you had concerns on image quality on the Silver Ticket AT screens. Should I not go with AT screen and mount my speakers next to and below my screen? If I decide to stick with the AT screen, should I place my center channel in the middle of the screen (from top to bottom), or is it always supposed to go towards the bottom of the screen?
Definitely go AT, just consider a screen that has a tighter weave. You can also get the Silver Ticket screen, and if the weave is causing moire, you can order different screen material from another vendor and then attach it to the Silver Ticket frame.

Your center speaker should be up 50% to 60% of the screen height. This is where the source of the sound is most likely to be visually, so it should be acoustically as well. Aim the speaker down a bit so it points straight at your listening position. This advice goes for all the front speakers btw.

Last edited by bochoss; 05-22-2020 at 12:14 PM.
post #43 of 45 Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
The AT screen I have been interested in and have been in contact with is Seymour Screen's. They sell there material with grommets and have a design for DIY screen frame to put it on. You will save a lot of money as well. They suggest if you are sitting closer then 12' I believe go with the UV material. If 12' or more the XD is recommended. They are very friendly and quick to respond. The owner is on the forum a lot. I have seen their screen in many theaters in my area and I like what I have seen.

http://www.seymourscreenexcellence.com/

This is what I am thinking of going with for eyes 11' from the screen.

http://displaywars.com/120-inch-16x9-vs-151-inch-235x1

Or this with eyes 12' from the screen.

http://displaywars.com/130-inch-16x9-vs-163-inch-235x1

Nice that you got the 5040.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #44 of 45 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Watch the Amazon Prime movie The Aeronauts when you are testing screen sizes it was made with the intent of being shown in IMAX. If you are confused now watching that movie or Dunkirk another AR changer will even more confuse you or if you are like me these movies will convince you there is no answer “except all of the above”.
Bud, thanks for mentioning the AR change of The Aeronauts. I use my 160" 16:9 screen as Constant Image Area most of the time (so my 2.39 scope content is always the widest) but I reserve use of the entire screen for IMAX-like experiences such as Avatar. Sounded like the Aeronauts would be well suited for that so I let it roll, filling the entire screen on the most spectacular scenes (other than thin bars top/bottom from 1.85 ratio), and it was a thrilling experience for me and my wife. Like your painted wall, I love having a screen wall that puts me in control of all options available 👍🏼

Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #45 of 45 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Bud, thanks for mentioning the AR change of The Aeronauts. I use my 160" 16:9 screen as Constant Image Area most of the time (so my 2.39 scope content is always the widest) but I reserve use of the entire screen for IMAX-like experiences such as Avatar. Sounded like the Aeronauts would be well suited for that so I let it roll, filling the entire screen on the most spectacular scenes (other than thin bars top/bottom from 1.85 ratio), and it was a thrilling experience for me and my wife. Like your painted wall, I love having a screen wall that puts me in control of all options available 👍🏼

Ross
I hope the trend for more movies from Amazon and the like to make a short debut in major venues like IMAX or other and then within a week or two pop up as streaming content. Netflix did something similar with The Irishman. These are much more than made for TV movies IMO, they are motion pictures complete with A list directors and writers and actors. They have the infrastructure in place and a happy costumer base paying monthly and as long as they keep delivering these treats with all the rest of the content they have I’m happy with what I get for the money each month.

With this new method of delivery and they know their base 99.99% of them have 16:9 TVs I think the IMAX trend will hopefully stick.

I agree with you Ross those of us doing FP don’t need to be told how immersive content needs to be and we are mature enough to refrain from watching garbage TV with IMAX immersion. When a nugget comes along it makes it that much nicer to fully fill the IMAX area.

I always hear why have an IMAX screen for so little content? My answer is that’s the whole point when we do get the content it is a special treat to watch. It is the old glass half full or half empty thing. If you have a scope screen you dread another of those stupid IMAX movies just came out I have to deal with. If you have the IMAX screen you go oh boy I can hardly wait to play it.
rossandwendy likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page