Screen Recommendations Needed for 1st HT Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen Recommendations Needed for 1st HT Build

Like it says above I am building my first home theater. Thanks to the advice of members on this thread I have been working through various components and getting things setup slowly. The next big piece is the screen. Currently I have:

A/V Receiver: Denon X3600H
L/R Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 230's leftover from a previous hi-fi build
Center: Chane A2.4
Media Player: nVidia Shield TV Pro
Physical Media: Panasonic UB-820
Projector: JVC NX5

I have a Chief mount kit on order that won't be arriving for some time and have been projecting directly onto the wall and experimenting with different image sizes to get an idea for what looks best. We are projecting onto a 13' wide wall and have 7' from floor to ceiling. Main seating position is about 15' from the wall. We have majority light control but there is a small amount of ambient that leaks in from the stairwell.

I see a lot of praise here for the Silver Ticket STR fixed frame series. I've also seen some recent threads on the Stewart line and pricing being more aggressive now than before. We would probably be looking at a 16:9 ration but I am looking for help on the material type, gain amount given our room conditions, and then just how much difference in quality there is between the manufacturers.

Also - if anyone can point me in the direction of a known good vendor to reach out to - that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your input and stay safe everyone.
pushtogo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Acoustically Transparent or Not?

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Mocs123 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not!
pushtogo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,831
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtogo View Post
Like it says above I am building my first home theater. Thanks to the advice of members on this thread I have been working through various components and getting things setup slowly. The next big piece is the screen. Currently I have:



A/V Receiver: Denon X3600H

L/R Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 230's leftover from a previous hi-fi build

Center: Chane A2.4

Media Player: nVidia Shield TV Pro

Physical Media: Panasonic UB-820

Projector: JVC NX5



I have a Chief mount kit on order that won't be arriving for some time and have been projecting directly onto the wall and experimenting with different image sizes to get an idea for what looks best. We are projecting onto a 13' wide wall and have 7' from floor to ceiling. Main seating position is about 15' from the wall. We have majority light control but there is a small amount of ambient that leaks in from the stairwell.



I see a lot of praise here for the Silver Ticket STR fixed frame series. I've also seen some recent threads on the Stewart line and pricing being more aggressive now than before. We would probably be looking at a 16:9 ration but I am looking for help on the material type, gain amount given our room conditions, and then just how much difference in quality there is between the manufacturers.



Also - if anyone can point me in the direction of a known good vendor to reach out to - that would also be much appreciated.



Thanks again for your input and stay safe everyone.
Reach out to Mike Garrett at AV science.

https://avscience.com/about-us/

Honestly the screen is the one thing that people go cheap on when first putting together a theater.

You date the projector but marry the screen.

You can keep a great screen for decades, so choose wisely or you will be replacing it.

Go Stewart and don't look back if you want the best. People will tell you they are overpriced. Those people haven't compared value recently . Sure you could spend very little and be satisfied with a Silver Ticket screen.

But don't ever buy a Stewart screen after because you will then be saying why didn't I buy Stewart right from the start. Just now am I on my fourth screen in ten years. Finally did what I should have done ten years ago and buy Stewart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
GlavineBoy likes this.

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Reach out to Mike Garrett at AV science.

https://avscience.com/about-us/

Honestly the screen is the one thing that people go cheap on when first putting together a theater.

You date the projector but marry the screen.

You can keep a great screen for decades, so choose wisely or you will be replacing it.

Go Stewart and don't look back if you want the best. People will tell you they are overpriced. Those people haven't compared value recently . Sure you could spend very little and be satisfied with a Silver Ticket screen.

But don't ever buy a Stewart screen after because you will then be saying why didn't I buy Stewart right from the start. Just now am I on my fourth screen in ten years. Finally did what I should have done ten years ago and buy Stewart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
thanks @skylarlove1999

Mike was very helpful and recommended a scope screen in my space since I am height limited. He is going to send out some samples of the StudioTek 130 G4 material so we can get an idea of what to expect.
pushtogo is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,831
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtogo View Post
thanks @skylarlove1999



Mike was very helpful and recommended a scope screen in my space since I am height limited. He is going to send out some samples of the StudioTek 130 G4 material so we can get an idea of what to expect.
I wasn't trying to minimize cost or budget concerns. I was trying to have you avoid my journey. If Stewart was as affordable two years ago as they are now I would have gladly paid the difference and bought Stewart. Now I have to sell my Seymour Glacier white screen, which has been great, before I can buy the Studiotek 130 G4 in 140 inch 2:39 format. I wish the G4 was out two years ago at the price you can buy today. It would have been a no-brainer to go with the Stewart then at today's prices.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
llang269 likes this.

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2020, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,071
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtogo View Post
Like it says above I am building my first home theater. Thanks to the advice of members on this thread I have been working through various components and getting things setup slowly. The next big piece is the screen. Currently I have:

A/V Receiver: Denon X3600H
L/R Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 230's leftover from a previous hi-fi build
Center: Chane A2.4
Media Player: nVidia Shield TV Pro
Physical Media: Panasonic UB-820
Projector: JVC NX5

I have a Chief mount kit on order that won't be arriving for some time and have been projecting directly onto the wall and experimenting with different image sizes to get an idea for what looks best. We are projecting onto a 13' wide wall and have 7' from floor to ceiling. Main seating position is about 15' from the wall. We have majority light control but there is a small amount of ambient that leaks in from the stairwell.

I see a lot of praise here for the Silver Ticket STR fixed frame series. I've also seen some recent threads on the Stewart line and pricing being more aggressive now than before. We would probably be looking at a 16:9 ration but I am looking for help on the material type, gain amount given our room conditions, and then just how much difference in quality there is between the manufacturers.

Also - if anyone can point me in the direction of a known good vendor to reach out to - that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your input and stay safe everyone.
What color are the walls?

So have you decided on how big the screen should be? From 15' I can't imagine it's small. A white positive gain screen would be very recommended. It's either the ST130 which actually has 1.3 gain, or use paints on the wall or a cheap white PVC screen.
To go that route create a new thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
noob00224 is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What color are the walls?

So have you decided on how big the screen should be? From 15' I can't imagine it's small. A white positive gain screen would be very recommended. It's either the ST130 which actually has 1.3 gain, or use paints on the wall or a cheap white PVC screen.
To go that route create a new thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

The walls are beige and the ceiling is hunter green. We're still deciding on the screen size. Complicated by resolution. The wall we are using is 13' wide but only 7' tall so Mike @ AVS suggested a scope screen would give us the best use of space. I need 20" or so for the media console which will sit below the screen which leaves roughly 64 inches of height for the screen.

16:9 = 59" x 105" (120" diagonal)
2.35:1 = 55" x 129" (140" diagonal) or even 51" x 120" (130" diagonal)

This might be a dumb question - but I've noticed from projecting on the wall that the movies have black borders outside. Is that something that is covered up by the fixed frame or something that I need to fix in the projector settings menu somewhere? I'd like to see if that's something I need to factor into my plans. Thanks!
pushtogo is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Honey Brook Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,831
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushtogo View Post
The walls are beige and the ceiling is hunter green. We're still deciding on the screen size. Complicated by resolution. The wall we are using is 13' wide but only 7' tall so Mike @ AVS suggested a scope screen would give us the best use of space. I need 20" or so for the media console which will sit below the screen which leaves roughly 64 inches of height for the screen.



16:9 = 59" x 105" (120" diagonal)

2.35:1 = 55" x 129" (140" diagonal) or even 51" x 120" (130" diagonal)



This might be a dumb question - but I've noticed from projecting on the wall that the movies have black borders outside. Is that something that is covered up by the fixed frame or something that I need to fix in the projector settings menu somewhere? I'd like to see if that's something I need to factor into my plans. Thanks!
The only way to truly avoid those letterbox bars above and below the screen is either to put velvet on the wall behind your screen where the letterbox bars will be or buy a very expensive anamorphic lens. The projector is 17:9 aspect ratio. The JVC does have a setting to blank/mask the letterbox bars but many people can still the light being projected into that area of the image. Your frame will be wrapped in black velvet so that will break up the letterbox bars but not eliminate them. I am talking about a scope ratio screen. The letterbox bars are much more pronounced on a 16x9 screen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
noob00224 likes this.

Tristan Jones
skylarlove1999 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off