Alr questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-20-2020, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alr questions

Hi, I’m putting a projector in a family room that will often have some ambient light, though not streaming sunlight or anything. I’d like a decent picture for movies with young kids with some dim lighting. I’m considering an alr screen but wonder how it will look in near total darkness (but with white ceiling and amber walls) for the movies I care most about, my viewing after the kiddos go to bed.

I also wonder about my projector angle, Epson 5040 just 11 feet away and 30 inches above the top of the image area of a 110 inch screen. Will that angle be a problem with alr?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkabin View Post
Hi, I’m putting a projector in a family room that will often have some ambient light, though not streaming sunlight or anything. I’d like a decent picture for movies with young kids with some dim lighting. I’m considering an alr screen but wonder how it will look in near total darkness (but with white ceiling and amber walls) for the movies I care most about, my viewing after the kiddos go to bed.

I also wonder about my projector angle, Epson 5040 just 11 feet away and 30 inches above the top of the image area of a 110 inch screen. Will that angle be a problem with alr?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Regardless of screen/projector, with ambient light the dark parts of the image will always be washed out, to a degree. It depends on the composition of the projected image.

There must be no source of light from the same direction as the projector.

With an 110" screen from 11' the throw ratio is 1.37x. There will be a hotspot and sparkles in medium bright and bright images:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58809924

The link also provides different different type of ambient light with different types of images (brightness wise).

If you don't want visual artifacts, unless you want to spend $4000 on a screen, paint mixes with ALR properties are the way to go. Can be applied on a white screen or white wall.
Create a new thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

Or the projector can be moved further back. Recommended throw ratio is ~1.9x.

In regards to the height of the projector, the angle of the beam from the projector is ~23 degrees. It should be fine IMO.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that information. I really appreciate it. My screen is actually not going on a wall, but in an archway. I have no choice but to use a pulldown screen. I also have the projector all the way against the wall, so there is no moving it back. Given the situation, would you suggest I just use a white screen? I’m not sure, but I think I would rather deal with a bit of loss in the blacks in exchange for a picture that looks smooth and film like versus one that has hotspots and sparkles.

Will an alr screen such as this Elunevision Aurora ALR cause these problems? (Sorry I can’t post links as a new member)

elunevision.com/screens/aurora-ambient-light-rejection/aurora-motorized-tab-tension/

Also, what about just a matte gray screen? I’ve seen a few that are .8 gain. I’m wondering, because I have a fairly bright projector (5040UB) on a smallish screen if that might be a way to get a bit darker darks and still have a good smooth picture.

Thanks again for the insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkabin View Post
Thanks for that information. I really appreciate it. My screen is actually not going on a wall, but in an archway. I have no choice but to use a pulldown screen. I also have the projector all the way against the wall, so there is no moving it back. Given the situation, would you suggest I just use a white screen? I’m not sure, but I think I would rather deal with a bit of loss in the blacks in exchange for a picture that looks smooth and film like versus one that has hotspots and sparkles.

Will an alr screen such as this Elunevision Aurora ALR cause these problems? (Sorry I can’t post links as a new member)

elunevision.com/screens/aurora-ambient-light-rejection/aurora-motorized-tab-tension/

Also, what about just a matte gray screen? I’ve seen a few that are .8 gain. I’m wondering, because I have a fairly bright projector (5040UB) on a smallish screen if that might be a way to get a bit darker darks and still have a good smooth picture.

Thanks again for the insights.
A drop down screen can be painted.

As I said, screens that have little or no sparkle at this range are very expensive: dalite parallax/dnp supernova, evp darkstar9. Do a quick google search and check out the prices. All others including the Elunevision will have the same problems as the Cinegrey 3D.

It depends on the environment, but matte white or grey screens are much more vulnerable to ambient light than an ALR screen.

Screen manufacturers are also often don't provide reliable specs. It's very likely that the image will be dimmed. The ST grey is claimed to be 1.0 but is actually 0.6.

Get some samples if you want to:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59682414
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... I might start by hanging up a white sheet for a few days and go from there. Tough to make these decisions without seeing the image firsthand. I'm not in an area that's near any HT retailers either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page