Screen suggestions 3D/4K - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By noob00224
  • 2 Post By noob00224
  • 2 Post By ryudoadema
  • 2 Post By ryudoadema
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Screen suggestions 3D/4K

How many of you enjoy watching Blu-ray 3D and what kind of screen do you find best for the optimal the 3D experience? I'm a big fan of 3D and love watching them on my Epson 5050ub. My screen is a generic cheap 120' motorized screen which I bought from local Frys many years ago and I'm wondering if I benefit a lot by going to a different screen. Any feedback is appreciated ..
This is probably what I have now ..
https://www.frys.com/product/6745415

What would I gain (if any) by getting say a Silver Ticket 120" tab-tensioned motorized screen like MPT169120? (1.1 gain)
termite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,588
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
How many of you enjoy watching Blu-ray 3D and what kind of screen do you find best for the optimal the 3D experience? I'm a big fan of 3D and love watching them on my Epson 5050ub. My screen is a generic cheap 120' motorized screen which I bought from local Frys many years ago and I'm wondering if I benefit a lot by going to a different screen. Any feedback is appreciated ..
This is probably what I have now ..
https://www.frys.com/product/6745415

What would I gain (if any) by getting say a Silver Ticket 120" tab-tensioned motorized screen like MPT169120? (1.1 gain)
There are no special screens for 3D (active). What can improve 3D is more brightness. That screen claims to be white even though it looks grey, with a gain of 1.0 to 1.2. As far as I know Silver Ticket does not have any positive gain screens.

So if you're satisfied with how bright the screen is then great. If not try to increase brightness from the projector, but I understand that with Epsons the more brightness the more the change for ghostig? Or get a positive gain screen, but those are a lot more expensive. Or paint a regular screen with mixes that will give you a positive gain.
termite likes this.
noob00224 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
There are no special screens for 3D (active). What can improve 3D is more brightness. That screen claims to be white even though it looks grey, with a gain of 1.0 to 1.2. As far as I know Silver Ticket does not have any positive gain screens.

So if you're satisfied with how bright the screen is then great. If not try to increase brightness from the projector, but I understand that with Epsons the more brightness the more the change for ghostig? Or get a positive gain screen, but those are a lot more expensive. Or paint a regular screen with mixes that will give you a positive gain.
Thanks. Yes a positive gain screen is what I'm looking for. Not sure what gain/screen is optimal for my scenario for 3D. Epson 5050ub is brighter compared to most projectors and I also don't want to degrade 4K/HDR picture.
termite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,588
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
Thanks. Yes a positive gain screen is what I'm looking for. Not sure what gain/screen is optimal for my scenario for 3D. Epson 5050ub is brighter compared to most projectors and I also don't want to degrade 4K/HDR picture.
Many screens claimed gains are not true.

Are you looking for a drop down screen or a fixed one?

What is the budget?

Are you willing to paint a screen, including the one you have now?
noob00224 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Many screens claimed gains are not true.

Are you looking for a drop down screen or a fixed one?

What is the budget?

Are you willing to paint a screen, including the one you have now?
drop-down only. 120" motorized.
Budget can be around $1K but having never had a different screen I'm not sure which way to go or if I see a dramatically better picture..
My current screen although cheap, is not bad in terms of brightness and overall picture. I think it's 1.2 but I can see some sparkles and some small waves (it's not tab-tensioned). Not sure about painting.. can we do that for a motorized/pull-down screen?
termite is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,588
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
drop-down only. 120" motorized.
Budget can be around $1K but having never had a different screen I'm not sure which way to go or if I see a dramatically better picture..
My current screen although cheap, is not bad in terms of brightness and overall picture. I think it's 1.2 but I can see some sparkles and some small waves (it's not tab-tensioned). Not sure about painting.. can we do that for a motorized/pull-down screen?
Don't think there are any positive gain in that configuration and that budget.

Not sure what the gain of your screen actually is, unless you have a colorimeter you can't find out.

I can't say if you'll see a dramatically better picture, that's very subjective. Maybe ask in the 3D sub forum for tips on how to improve the image now:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/191-3d-displays/
Ask @ryudoadema , he has a 5040UB.

Painting can be done on a drop down screen. When I did some research the fabric needed to be white and smooth, so I don't know if the current screen will do. In any case to go that route create a new thread here or ask a moderator to move it there:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/
termite and ryudoadema like this.
noob00224 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I can't help much on the screen side, as I have a pretty cheap 100" Elite 1.1 or 1.2 gain motorized screen that I am happy with. I personally wouldn't want much more gain because I think I can almost see sparkles when I really crank the brightness on the Epson as it is. At least it seems like it to my untrained eyes. A 5040/5050 is kind of my line, where if I were buying a more expensive projector than those- THEN I may consider throwing a grand at a screen. I just don't feel the benefit would outweigh an extra grand towards a better pj. That's just my opinion though.

I will say that treating the room with darker, light absorbing paint or materials will help increase the perceived brightness and contrast of the projected image. I think it could improve the picture more than a better screen, and at less cost.

Also if you are looking for more brightness, make sure your projector is as close to the screen as you can comfortably get it (considering noise, view, obstructions etc.) while still being in the right throw range. Projectors lose brightness at further distances while remaining the same size, and it's a decent amount from closest to furthest for these Epsons.

If you need any settings advice I think the 5040/5050 are close enough that i could help out there (not fine tuned colors etc, but certain 3d settings that can make a big difference). Just let me know or search my previous posts.
noob00224 and termite like this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by ryudoadema; 06-04-2020 at 05:43 AM.
ryudoadema is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
I can't help much on the screen side, as I have a pretty cheap 100" Elite 1.1 or 1.2 gain motorized screen that I am happy with. I personally wouldn't want much more gain because I think I can almost see sparkles when I really crank the brightness on the Epson as it is. At least it seems like it to my untrained eyes. A 5040/5050 is kind of my line, where if I were buying a more expensive projector than those- THEN I may consider throwing a grand at a screen. I just don't feel the benefit would outweigh an extra grand towards a better pj. That's just my opinion though.

I will say that treating the room with darker, light absorbing paint or materials will help increase the perceived brightness and contrast of the projected image. I think it could improve the picture more than a better screen, and at less cost.

Also if you are looking for more brightness, make sure your projector is as close to the screen as you can comfortably get it (considering noise, view obstructions etc.) while still being in the right throw range. Projectors lose brightness at further distances while remaining the same size, and it's a decent amount from closest to furthest for these Epsons.

If you need any settings advice I think the 5040/5050 are close enough that i could help out there (not fine tuned colors etc, but certain 3d settings that can make a big difference). Just let me know or search my previous posts.
Thanks! Actually I'm not complaining about my current setup. It's just that I've had the screen for over a decade (was using that with Epson 5030ub before)
and I was wondering if a screen upgrade would make things even better with my current Epson 5050ub. Yes my projector is setup closest to the screen with the 3D in mind. Interested in hearing about those special 3D specific settings you mention..can you share? My screen size is 120" 16:9.
termite is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
Thanks! Actually I'm not complaining about my current setup. It's just that I've had the screen for over a decade (was using that with Epson 5030ub before)
and I was wondering if a screen upgrade would make things even better with my current Epson 5050ub. Yes my projector is setup closest to the screen with the 3D in mind. Interested in hearing about those special 3d specific settings you mention..can you share? My screen size is 120" 16:9.
Off the top of my head:

*3d brightness low- you can go higher, but at the expense of ghosting/crosstalk. It either of those are bothering you and you need more brightness then increasing gamma or brightness a little, increasing bulb power or changing to dynamic 3d also works. I find changing gamma once in a while on a per movie basis works best. If the movie is too dark, increase the gamma by a setting or two at most. If the colors are washed out, but there is plenty of brightness you can adjust the gamma down a little.

*Auto Iris off- On also increases ghosting/crosstalk

*If ghosting/crosstalk is still bothering you you can try turning the processing to fast instead of fine. This turns off a bunch of additional enhancements and I don't find it's needed as ghosting/crosstalk is nearly eliminated after the above settings.

*Try to keep the image centered in your 3d glasses. You may notice that there is only ghosting/crosstalk when you are looking from the top or bottom of the glasses or it is worse.

If I forgot anything I'll try to update next time I turn on the pj.
noob00224 and termite like this.

Spoiler!
ryudoadema is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Off the top of my head:

*3d brightness low- you can go higher, but at the expense of ghosting/crosstalk. It either of those are bothering you and you need more brightness then increasing gamma or brightness a little, increasing bulb power or changing to dynamic 3d also works. I find changing gamma once in a while on a per movie basis works best. If the movie is too dark, increase the gamma by a setting or two at most. If the colors are washed out, but there is plenty of brightness you can adjust the gamma down a little.

*Auto Iris off- On also increases ghosting/crosstalk

*If ghosting/crosstalk is still bothering you you can try turning the processing to fast instead of fine. This turns off a bunch of additional enhancements and I don't find it's needed as ghosting/crosstalk is nearly eliminated after the above settings.

*Try to keep the image centered in your 3d glasses. You may notice that there is only ghosting/crosstalk when you are looking from the top or bottom of the glasses or it is worse.

If I forgot anything I'll try to update next time I turn on the pj.
Thanks. I have only occasionally experienced any ghosting with my current settings so that has not been a major issue so far. Good suggestion on the brightness settings I'll also check what I have. Please share any other settings next time when you check.
termite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off