Acoustic Screen, is it worth it (Picture quality) Silver Ticket or Seymour? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-08-2020, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Acoustic Screen, is it worth it (Picture quality) Silver Ticket or Seymour?

Hello,
I've been following this forum for many years and ended up reading many almost endless and very interesting discussions!
Many thanks to all of you who have been contributing to making this forum exist!

IF YOU WANT BACKGROUND INFORMATION START READING HERE, OTHERWISE YOU CAN JUMP STRAIGHT TO MY QUESTION FURTHER DOWN BELOW!

First of all I'm located in Scandinavia, which is a bit of a concern because we seem to lack resellers for many great AVS-product companies and shipping from the US is a bit expensive But I'm starting to get used to it...
I've had a home cinema from day one that we moved to our house and it's approaching 10 years now.
Our first dedicated home cinema room had problems with ambient light. We started out with a standard white screen which we were not impressed by and I quickly realized that we needed a better screen.
Went down to our local home cinema store and had a look at all different type of screens. But when I saw the Stewart Firehawk it was instant love and I've been using one ever since.

A few years ago I realized that to be 100% satisfied with my home cinema I would have to start over!
The house had no room for what I wanted but the house had a crawl space under it. So I did the only thing I felt was logical, bought a showel and a bucket and started digging.
1000+ working hours and lots of $$$ later (Even though I did all of the work myself) I had a completely light controlled room for my home cinema!

Prerequisites:
The room is totally light controlled with a size of 13.5x20.5 feet with a roof height of about 7.7 feet
Curved 3-seat recliner sofa (13 feet viewing distance and 9 feet sofa width)
SONY VPL-VW360ES projector with HDR-filter. (1500 Lumen)
Onkyo TX-RZ3100 receiver with Dolby Atmos (7.2.4 since the receiver doesn't seem to accept 9.2.2!?)
Definitive Technology speakers + dual subwoofers.

SECTION CONTAINING MY QUESTIONS STARTS HERE!

I have now finished everything in my home cinema except for one thing, the screen.
No matter how much I would like to continue using Stewart filmscreens, I do not have the money to buy the type of screen that I am looking for.
I started looking for a cheaper alternative to Stewart and decided that I will most likely give Silver Ticket a try.
Of course only a fixed frame screen is of interest!

My question is if it's worth it, with picture quality in mind, to go for a transparent wall screen?
Audio-wise I think it's worth it but I am afraid that I might lose more picture quality than I am ready to give up.
My projector is, according to my own non-professional opinion, a bit to weak on the bulb to produce a bright enough picture.
It also seems that the screen manufacturers tends to exaggerate the Gain for their sound transparent screens?
I am looking for a 16:9 screen somewhere in between 150-165". Without a transparent screen the centre speaker will end up either very high or very low.

If I put the left and right front speakers behind the screen the angles for the sound will be to narrow for my taste so it's only the centre that would be behind the screen.
What do you guys think, it it worth going for a transparent screen just to fit the centre speaker at the right height or should I just go with a solid screen?

My alternatives, if you guys don't have better suggestions, are the following:
* Silver Ticket 150-165" Fixed Frame Screen with either white or grey material (IF not going for a transparent screen).
(I like the contrast that you get with a grey screen but my mind is telling me that it's madness to use it in a light controlled room with a weakish projector bulb?)
* Silver Ticket 150-165" Fixed Frame Screen with woven acoustic material.
* Seymour Center Stage XD bulk with home made fixed frame.

If going for a transparent screen then the last alternative would be the most interesting since I want to be able to mask the screen for 2:35 format since the projector has a very useful lens memory.
If anyone have examples on how they have solved the masking issue then I'm all ears!
(Since I'm working as a mechatronics engineer, I have access to 3D-printers, CNC-machines, materials, mechanics and electronics of all kind so manufacturing a custom solution shouldn't be a problem but reinventing the wheel is always stupid if someone already has a working solution...)

Many thanks for your time!
BR Patrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-08-2020, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You can always put one center channel above and one below the screen. Its been reported that that solves the center channel apparent height problem.

My silver ticket performs very well against my name brand screen. I cant see much of a difference except trivial increase in gain with name brand.

I just have one center channel below the screen and its never bothered me once but now it will probably start since you reminded me of it. Thanx.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post
You can always put one center channel above and one below the screen. Its been reported that that solves the center channel apparent height problem.

My silver ticket performs very well against my name brand screen. I cant see much of a difference except trivial increase in gain with name brand.

I just have one center channel below the screen and its never bothered me once but now it will probably start since you reminded me of it. Thanx.
Thanks for the information!
I guess that your opinion is that the sound transparent screen will reduce the image quality too much and add too little to the sound image?

Maybe this is a bit controversial but since I wanted a softer transition between the front channels I couldn't just strengthen the center channel so I am using dual speakers on all front channels. (So it's 14 speakers in total, all of same model)
I'll try placing one center speaker above and one below tonight and do a blind test with the family. If everything falls out well then I think that this could solve my problem!

So a matte white 150" Silver Ticket screen is probably a good place to start?
Or do you think the gain/picture will be better than with the seymour center stage XD?
If the Seymour fabric performs better then I'll probably go for it anyway, even if the above/below center channel is satisfying, since the price will be more or less the same as the Silver Ticket.

I've been thinking about taking apart my old Firehawk and move it to the new room just to see how it performs but it feels like a lot of work and a small risk of damaging the screen just for a quick test but maybe it's worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
fixed screen , masking panels , seymour , silver ticket , transparent screen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page