What screen to get confusion! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By noob00224
  • 2 Post By rossandwendy
  • 2 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By rossandwendy
  • 1 Post By Greyimporter
  • 2 Post By noob00224
  • 2 Post By rossandwendy
  • 1 Post By rossandwendy

post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2020, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 98
What screen to get confusion!

I am looking at trying to find a good screen for my room. My main seat will be 10' 2" from the screen in a 20'x12' completely dark basement room with no windows. My screen dimensions are 10' 9" wide and 4' 8" tall. looking at 130" screen that is 2.3.5 ratio. I will be using a JVC NX5 projector that will be mounted about 16' from the screen. I am mainly confused because I know very little about screens and have a hard time paying $2K to $3k for a screen. I know it is one of the main things you want to invest your money in but it still doesn't make it easy. I would like to spend the money on nice high-quality material and then build the frame myself but not sure what material type, brand, and where to get it from.
thank you

Last edited by Brandon Jolley; 06-12-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Jolley View Post
I am looking at trying to find a good screen for my room. My main seat will be 10' 2" from the screen in a 20'x12' completely dark basement room with no windows. My screen dimensions are 10' 9" wide and 4' 8" tall. looking at 130" screen that is 2.3.5 ratio. I will be using a JVC NX5 projector that will be mounted about 16' from the screen. I am mainly confused because I know very little about screens and have a hard time paying $2K to $3k for a screen. I know it is one of the main things you want to invest your money in but it still doesn't make it easy. I would like to spend the money on nice high-quality material and then build the frame myself but not sure what material type, brand, and where to get it from.

thank you
Spend the money on a good screen. Your JVC projector will thank you. I suggest Stewart filmscreen Studiotek 130 G4. Their prices have come way down. PM me if you need help finding a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
rossandwendy likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
thank you
What color are the walls?

The screen size and seating position seem fine, but you should maybe use it on a wall for a while before deciding.

The Stewart screen mentioned is a great screen because for HDR extra brightness is required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
What color are the walls?

The screen size and seating position seem fine, but you should maybe use it on a wall for a while before deciding.

The Stewart screen mentioned is a great screen because for HDR extra brightness is required.

Will be black and red acoustical fabric on the walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will be black and red acoustical fabric on the walls.

That's great, JVCs have great contrast and wall reflections would affect them.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
thank you
Here are my suggestions based on me making mistakes and not doing it right the first time (and reading on here the last 14 years of many other members making similar mistakes):

1) Get the projector first and watch a lot of various 2.39:1 and 1.85/1.78 content to make sure you zero in on your exact screen size, aspect ratio, and seating distance - this is all 100% personal preference and you must experiment to nail it down before locking yourself in with the screen purchase. Immersion is vital - find out what your personal sweet spot is first.

2) Get free material samples from several different screen manufacturers (Stewart, Seymour, etc) and carefully test them with content, looking for differences in brightness, skin tones, overall color balance and accuracy, contrast, texture, sharpness, artifacts.

3) After that if you see the differences that many of us have seen after doing these sample tests, then just order the Stewart ST130 G4 screen and be done forever - it is truly reference class and anything less will not show you everything that is encoded on UHD and bluray discs. You will have a world class JVC projector, but you will not see world class image quality if you compromise on the screen. The prices are better than you think - get a quote or few on that Stewart. As we say on this forum, you date the projector but you marry the screen.

Ross
skylarlove1999 and noob00224 like this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Here are my suggestions based on me making mistakes and not doing it right the first time (and reading on here the last 14 years of many other members making similar mistakes):

1) Get the projector first and watch a lot of various 2.39:1 and 1.85/1.78 content to make sure you zero in on your exact screen size, aspect ratio, and seating distance - this is all 100% personal preference and you must experiment to nail it down before locking yourself in with the screen purchase. Immersion is vital - find out what your personal sweet spot is first.

2) Get free material samples from several different screen manufacturers (Stewart, Seymour, etc) and carefully test them with content, looking for differences in brightness, skin tones, overall color balance and accuracy, contrast, texture, sharpness, artifacts.

3) After that if you see the differences that many of us have seen after doing these sample tests, then just order the Stewart ST130 G4 screen and be done forever - it is truly reference class and anything less will not show you everything that is encoded on UHD and bluray discs. You will have a world class JVC projector, but you will not see world class image quality if you compromise on the screen. The prices are better than you think - get a quote or few on that Stewart. As we say on this forum, you date the projector but you marry the screen.

Ross
100% agree with this post. I went through 3 painful screen divorces in 11 years. LOL . I have my forever screen now. Studiotek 130 2:39 G4 140 inch screen.

rossandwendy and Azekecse like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
100% agree with this post. I went through 3 painful screen divorces in 11 years. LOL . I have my forever screen now. Studiotek 130 2:39 G4 140 inch screen.

LOL I hear you man, screen divorces are painful on the bank account I went through 6!

Ross

post #9 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Is it better to just order the fabric and build your frame? How big are most screen samples?

post #10 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Is it better to just order the fabric and build your frame? How big are most screen samples?

Most screen samples are 12inches by 12inches. Most screen companies do not sell just the material. Frames are generally not that costly, relatively speaking.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I personally wouldn't spend $3000+ for a plain white screen to go with a $5000 projector like the NX5. I'm not trying to be controversial. It's just that my experience has been that, with simple white and gray screen materials, there isn't always an obvious benefit with the premium price options. That doesn't mean they're all the same though.

Matching the screen to the projector and room is what matters. A lot of issues people have start with a mismatch.

The NX5 is brighter than previous generations of JVC and a 130" 2.35:1 screen is not especially big or challenging for it in a dark room. You don't necessarily need a higher gain screen. A regular zero gain (I.e. 1 gain) matte white screen will work just fine. At that screen size, you probably even have enough brightness for a negative (0.8) gain gray screen.

You mentioned the room has decent light control. I don't know if that means you've covered every inch of wall, ceiling, floor and led lights in black velvet. If you haven't gone that far, it's worth getting some gray screen samples too to see what you prefer. The extra projector brightness can come at the cost of black levels. It doesn't take much projected light to turn blacks gray on white screens. In that scenario, the gray fabric will help.

Obviously I don't know your financial situation. If money is no object though and spending $3000+ on a screen is no big deal, I'd want something more than just "a decent white screen" for that kind of cash. I recently tried some older JVC projectors (RS35 and RS60) on a Da lite Parallax .8 and previously on a DNP Supernova Blade. They both disappointed as ALR screens but they looked great in a dark room. I'd choose either of those 2 (in fixed frame versions) over any white screen for an NX5 (even in a dark room).

In terms of future-proofing, the general trend with projectors is that they're getting brighter as consumers look for HDR performance. Newer solid solid state light sources are allowing better contrast at high brightness too. As brightness continues to increase, a matte white screen is going to be a problem in terms of maintaining low black levels.

That's my $0.02 but to each his own. Get samples and choose what you like best.
bud16415 likes this.

Last edited by Greyimporter; 06-15-2020 at 09:45 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-15-2020, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Greyimporter much incorrect information, but I'm not surprised since you don't know how to use an ALR screen or read the specifications, as mentioned in the other thread.

Do the math with a JVC NX5 on lumens, light loss due to zoom, etc. At that screen size it absolutely would benefit from a positive gain screen, and definitely not negative gain. OP already mentioned the setup of the room with regards to reflections. You don't necessarily need black velvet.

In a room like that, a white screen would do better than a negative gain.

Newer solid solid state light sources are allowing better contrast at high brightness too.
Source?
post #13 of 17 Old 06-16-2020, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Stewart CimaNeve screen is what I was going to get to replace my Carada which has a slight weird "wrinkled" looking spot.

Craig at AVS is a good person to speak with.

With the sample I got it was nearly identical to the Carada except smoother in texture.

It's kind of difficult to really see the overall on a sample, but it gives you an idea at least.

The Neve is less pricey than a "normal" Stewart screen, but you are limited to certain sizes so you can't be as custom but if it wasn't for this damn Covid I'd have that screen in my room now.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-17-2020, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

It’s almost like dealers don’t want to help at all. I have contacted a few people to get an idea of how much it would be for the material or samples and they don’t respond at all.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-20-2020, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It’s almost like dealers don’t want to help at all. I have contacted a few people to get an idea of how much it would be for the material or samples and they don’t respond at all.

Did you contact @Craig Peer ? He is a respected dealer and forum member here and I'm sure he will be glad to assist.
skylarlove1999 and Craig Peer like this.

post #16 of 17 Old 06-21-2020, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Did you contact @Craig Peer ? He is a respected dealer and forum member here and I'm sure he will be glad to assist.

What screens does he sale?

post #17 of 17 Old 06-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What screens does he sale?

Several top brands including Stewart, Seymour, and others. Go ahead and PM him or email at [email protected]. He comes highly recommended by many here on AVS.

Ross

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page