NOT a UST screen. Looking for what to use for ceiling mounted Short Throw - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NOT a UST screen. Looking for what to use for ceiling mounted Short Throw

Everything I can find is all about UST.
I am looking at buying a Optoma - GT1090HDR.
This is a standard short throw projector, not a Ultra Short Throw.
I will be mounting it on the ceiling.

Is there a good screen that rejects side light while working with the more severe angle of a short throw from above?
I have spent hours searching everything and it seems surprising that there is not more information out there.
It is in my living room, with large windows to the left of the screen (stage right) with normal curtains.
white walls that I am willing to either paint or cover with something else.

It seems everybody with a ST is just sitting them on a table, which won't work in this room.

I don't want to buy a 3,000.00 projector and don't have the room space to mount a projector way in the back of the room.

Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ruder View Post
Everything I can find is all about UST.

I am looking at buying a Optoma - GT1090HDR.

This is a standard short throw projector, not a Ultra Short Throw.

I will be mounting it on the ceiling.

Is there a good screen that rejects side light while working with the more severe angle of a short throw from above?

I have spent hours searching everything and it seems surprising that there is not more information out there.

It is in my living room, with large windows to the left of the screen (stage right) with normal curtains.

white walls that I am willing to either paint or cover with something else.

It seems everybody with a ST is just sitting them on a table, which won't work in this room.

I don't want to buy a 3,000.00 projector and don't have the room space to mount a projector way in the back of the room.

Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
Do yourself a favor and buy a television instead. Save the projector for your next residence when you can do it right. Depending upon your budget you can find a better television than this one. This is just a starting point. Even a budget television generally will beat the picture quality of projectors costing $8K+.

If you still wish to pursue this projector endeavor you should post your screen size and your maximum throw distance. You will probably want an ALR screen for your room conditions and they have minimum throw distance requirements and certain angles from ceiling to screen that need to be met. A television is much better for your situation.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6401715

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts on this @sky lallove1999
I currently have a 70" television in this room (which is nice but will be moving elsewhere), I don't know what you mean by 'do it right' however.
I have a large projector screen in my basement but am tired of fighting with water problems (a home made screen about 10' across) that has a old dell projector on it at 800x600.
That room has gotten a TON of use, and there really is no comparison to a big TV and a huge projection.

Perhaps you have not used a 110" screen vs a 70" TV? Or even a 85"?

But thanks for the suggestion on providing room size, my room size is 12' ceiling, 160" wide and probably 20 feet long.
The screen needs to be at the end of the long section, but the wall has 120" clearance for the screen due to some built in cabinets that I cannot move.
My Polk speakers are about 10" wide each.

After measuring the below is approximately how a 110" screen would sit (give or take).

The original plan was to get a UST like the Vava but I have not found a good 110" UST screen, and don't want to go with 'only' a 100"

Any thoughts are appriciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new screen approx.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	2745372  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 09:56 AM

I hear you on the size. I just upgraded from a 120 inch 16x9 Seymour screen to a 140 inch 2:39 Stewart filmscreen Studiotek 130 G4 screen. Much better screen IMHO but bigger is better as well. So I think your screen size is 110 to 120 . What will be your max throw distance?

post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I hear you on the size. I just upgraded from a 120 inch 16x9 Seymour screen to a 140 inch 2:39 Stewart filmscreen Studiotek 130 G4 screen. Much better screen IMHO but bigger is better as well. So I think your screen size is 110 to 120 . What will be your max throw distance?

around 6 feet.

Although I just about have the wife sold on taking the other half of our basement (the dry half) and doing a full gut / remodel for this.
She misses the 'theater' experience and even the 70" is just not nearly the same.
the only drawback there is ceiling height.

the new area however would give me a total working space of 176" x 260" x 88" tall.
Screen could be on either wall, but being on the 176" would make most sense.
Entrance is at one end of the 260" direction - currently that is actually open so would be building a wall/door just for this.
That would be all inside dimensions, and if we do that I want to do two rows of seating with the back row elevated.

Just starting playing with that now.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ruder View Post
around 6 feet.

Although I just about have the wife sold on taking the other half of our basement (the dry half) and doing a full gut / remodel for this.

She misses the 'theater' experience and even the 70" is just not nearly the same.

the only drawback there is ceiling height.

the new area however would give me a total working space of 176" x 260" x 88" tall.

Screen could be on either wall, but being on the 176" would make most sense.

Entrance is at one end of the 260" direction - currently that is actually open so would be building a wall/door just for this.

That would be all inside dimensions, and if we do that I want to do two rows of seating with the back row elevated.

Just starting playing with that now.
That sounds like a great plan. Good luck.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Oh so close to being able to go with a 120" screen, if your speakers were just a little narrower. But if the basement is an option, now, heck yeah, go that route and do it "right" so you don't have to compromise with ambient light.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I know!

But we spent the last couple hours taking measurements and thinking (some of the funnest times of many projects!).
if we flip things around we lose a bit of room one direction but it lays out in the basement better.

So I have 162" x 350" x 88 to work with.

Enough side to side room for a 150" screen, but not enough height.
a 135" look like it is 67" tall -- after taking a couple inches off the top for clearance that would put the bottom of the screen 19" off of the floor.
I think that would work.

My old theater room had a 117 x 67 inch screen (made it myself but it served us well for many years).
That room was 175" wide (the wall with the screen) by 205 long and was too tight when you put more than 4 people in there, or really more than 3.

So, the project grows.

Sure wish I had a 10' ceiling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page