Motorized drop down screen stability - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By humbland

post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2020, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Motorized drop down screen stability

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything using the search tool.

I have an Elite Saker 110" motorized drop screen with an extra 24" drop because my loft has super high ceilings. There is almost always an air draft that's even wors if the AC is on, which causes the screen to sway when dangling, giving it a waterlike distortion when watching movies.

I'm looking for creative solutions such as a bracket or additional weight that can be added that will hold it firmly in place so it doesn't sway. Also I find that every time the screen comes down it's in a slightly different position from the wall so I have to constantly adjust the projector's keystone. Considering returning for the tension version. This is in the living room so the wife will not allow a fixed screen or projector wall paint.

Picture below of setup in progress.

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.00.33 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	5.23 MB
ID:	2750360  

Last edited by nconnella; 06-28-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2020, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by nconnella View Post
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything using the search tool.

I have an Elite Saker 110" motorized drop screen with an extra 24" drop because my loft has super high ceilings. There is almost always an air draft that's even wors if the AC is on, which causes the screen to sway when dangling, giving it a waterlike distortion when watching movies.

I'm looking for creative solutions such as a bracket or additional weight that can be added that will hold it firmly in place so it doesn't sway. Also I find that every time the screen comes down it's in a slightly different position from the wall so I have to constantly adjust the projector's keystone. Considering returning for the tension version. This is in the living room so the wife will not allow a fixed screen or projector wall paint.

Picture below of setup in progress.

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!!
I have had good luck with Elite CS. They have helped me solve some issues with their Cinatension2 electric drop. Why reinvent the wheel? If it were me, I would cut to the chase and call them...
My $.02
post #3 of 5 Old 06-28-2020, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I have had good luck with Elite CS. They have helped me solve some issues with their Cinatension2 electric drop. Why reinvent the wheel? If it were me, I would cut to the chase and call them...
My $.02
This is great to hear. I will call them first thing Monday. Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I'm not sure Elite can help with a draft issue.

Not sure if feasible for your setup, but perhaps some fabric covered soft foam blocks that the back of the screen rests against.

Noah
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I'm not sure Elite can help with a draft issue.

Not sure if feasible for your setup, but perhaps some fabric covered soft foam blocks that the back of the screen rests against.
That is a good idea. An improvement would be to glue some small refrigerator magnets to the back of the screen. Then when it deploys, line up a small piece of sheet metal (or two) at the appropriate level of the magnets. When the screen drops, they will secure the bottom to the foam blocks. Then, when you retract it, the small magnetic force should just pull loose. Just and idea. As I said before, Elite CS would be my first try...
noah katz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page