Screen recommendations for Epson 3800? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen recommendations for Epson 3800?

I’m looking for recommendations for a screen that will go in a room in which I have reasonably good but imperfect light control with heavy curtains, mostly nighttime viewing, and grayish walls, but a white ceiling. The Epson 3800 has pretty good brightness, but it seems like only okay with blacks. The projector will only be about 12 feet from a 120” screen, and I can’t go further back, so I’m leery of ALR. I’m wondering about gray, probably 0.8 gain, or just going with white.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkabin View Post
I’m looking for recommendations for a screen that will go in a room in which I have reasonably good but imperfect light control with heavy curtains, mostly nighttime viewing, and grayish walls, but a white ceiling. The Epson 3800 has pretty good brightness, but it seems like only okay with blacks. The projector will only be about 12 feet from a 120” screen, and I can’t go further back, so I’m leery of ALR. I’m wondering about gray, probably 0.8 gain, or just going with white.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
What do you mean it seems only okay with blacks?

Can you paint with spray gun?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Forgive me if I'm not getting a joke you're making. Or are you asking if I might be willing to paint a white screen? If so, yes, I might. But to clarify, I should say that I'm still waiting to take possession of the projector which I bought on the recent $1299 sale. By the time I bought, however, stock was out and I may be looking at August before I have it in hand. My claims of "pretty good brightness, but..only okay blacks" comes from reading reviews rather than from firsthand experience. My apologies for not making that clear.

Edit to say: I also once upon a time had a gray screen when I last had a projector, and I liked it (Da-Lite, a fabric I don't think they make anymore, silvery grey, higher gain, 1.3 maybe?). But that was in the days of 480p, 450 effective lumens, and very low contrast.

Last edited by Unkabin; 06-30-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-30-2020, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm not getting a joke you're making. Or are you asking if I might be willing to paint a white screen? If so, yes, I might. But to clarify, I should say that I'm still waiting to take possession of the projector which I bought on the recent $1299 sale. By the time I bought, however, stock was out and I may be looking at August before I have it in hand. My claims of "pretty good brightness, but..only okay blacks" comes from reading reviews rather than from firsthand experience. My apologies for not making that clear.

Edit to say: I also once upon a time had a gray screen when I last had a projector, and I liked it (Da-Lite, a fabric I don't think they make anymore, silvery grey, higher gain, 1.3 maybe?). But that was in the days of 480p, 450 effective lumens, and very low contrast.
Grey screens effect on reducing light reflection is small. It's best to treat the room and get some blinds that don't leak.

For paint mixes which can have ALR properties and no hotspots make a thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

This is what a HC3000 looks like with an ALR, check out the post after this one as well:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59510494

This is what an HC3800 and an ALR screen at ~1.35x looks like in the worst scenario:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3a6f0be904fedfcfda6de0340f2c07d6.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2751452   Click image for larger version

Name:	9dfe0490c1557b032ace35a534809a67.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2751454  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2020, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Grey screens effect on reducing light reflection is small. It's best to treat the room and get some blinds that don't leak.

For paint mixes which can have ALR properties and no hotspots make a thread here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/

This is what a HC3000 looks like with an ALR, check out the post after this one as well:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59510494

This is what an HC3800 and an ALR screen at ~1.35x looks like in the worst scenario:
Thanks. I checked out the cinegrey 5D videos. What screen is that in your attached photos. That actually looks better than the clips and images that you linked to.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I checked out the cinegrey 5D videos. What screen is that in your attached photos. That actually looks better than the clips and images that you linked to.
That's a Dark Energy screen, but they've gone out of business.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Probably just as well for my wallet. About the most I could consider in a tab tensioned screen with ALR would be the Elite Cinegrey. That or take a chance on something on Alibaba. The other route may be just something white or non-ALR grey (though simple grey is also hard to find on a budget with tab-tensioned screen) since other than the white ceiling my ability to light control is decent.

Edit: to say that I do seem to see a hotspot in those 5D clips even with images on the screen. Not sure how much it would bother me, and I have heard that photos and video magnify it.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'd check out Seymour AV. You could do Glacier Gray or maybe even Matinee Wide (perhaps curved, you're close to the min rec throw), both would help with black levels I would think. You could also splurge on the optional magnetic masking panels that would definitely help with perceived contrast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page