Official Optoma Graywolf screen thread. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my 106" screen came in a cardboard box, not very thick. It was about 105" long by about 8-10" wide. There were about 6 styrofoam braces holding the screen in the box. I wouldn't subject this box to too much stress!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldk988 View Post

I ordered mine though BB.com, was ready for pick up the next day. I picked it up yesterday, correct screen, and mounted it.

No defects that I could see. It's a thin case, very tightly wound. Pretty light. Panoview on the left, Greywolf on the right. Very wide viewing cone by my eyes.

Played with it last night using my SP 4805 and the picture looked great to my unprofessional eyes.

And, as an added bonus, the chemical smell from the screen (like an old mimmeograph page) was so strong, we were high for the first hour.

Ron

Sounds good, especially the free stone. Hmmm Optoma Graywolf and the Infocus meet.

At 15' back you're ok. I've been using this size of screen for a while and it's been looking small lately. I still have to use this size though, it is plenty big.

Tell them about how gray looking this baby looks? I haven't seen any other gray screen other than the Grayhawk. I wonder if any other gray screens tone, is as dark as this one?

Darin, what's the tone like a 40 or 50 IRE pattern with Avia?

Texture, I don't see it as a problem, the texture looks like a dark gray with glass beads in it and sprayed uniformly across the screen. When video is going you get like I said a plasma kind of look from the gain (whites are sizzling) and strong black levels from the gray.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia
post #63 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Amazon has these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman38 View Post

Amazon has these

and the price is incredible!!!
post #65 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
...with free shipping...
post #66 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora View Post

and the price is incredible!!!

But only in 92" variant

dB
post #67 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Tom, I seem to recall a few posts back you were going to try to measure the gain when the projector is ceiling mounted. Is that something you were able to do?

Steve
post #68 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionuttt View Post

But only in 92" variant

Try searching by the Optoma model number or part number DS-9106PM or
DS9106PM.

---
"Better to burn out than fade away"
post #69 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It has to be done in an absolute black out. I've been sleeping on the job.

I'll get around to it, but I'm off to the beach for a few days vactaion. Can't wait to get back and see who's got their Graywolf and how they like it.
cya

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia
post #70 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionuttt View Post

But only in 92" variant

Try this linky
post #71 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since this is a retro-reflective screen and works best with table mounted projectors, what do you guys think will be results with the following combo:

Sanyo Z2 shelve mounted about 7 feet above the floor

Screen about 11.5 feet away

Seating is 11 feet away from screen with an eye level of 32-36 inches high.

Will the retro-reflective make it too dark at that angle???
post #72 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 PM

Liked: 13
guitarman

Have you measured viewing angles yet or compared against other gain samples?. It would seem that with an ceiling mounted lens offset projector you would be better off with High Contrast Matte White (1.1) as far as getting any gain since it is going to go all back up to the ceiling
post #73 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Am I missing something, or is this truly the best of both worlds, having an increase in gain and contrast? How does the actual brightness compare for the screen compared to 1.0 gain? (I currently have an unpainted Parkland Plastics Bright White as my "screen").

Secondly, with HD sources, do you notice any degradation at all in resolution capability (as far as how crisp and detailed it is)? Especially given the beaded surface... I really liked what an absolutely flat PPBW sheet did compared to the slightly textured bare wall that I had before that.

-Tim
post #74 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 PM

I cant seem to find the 92" Graywolf at Amazon just the 106", can someone post a link to the 92".
post #75 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 03:05 PM

post #76 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 03:16 PM

Liked: 12
Don't order from buy.com.You will recieve wrong item.
post #77 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasmuzik View Post

Have you measured viewing angles yet or compared against other gain samples?

I believe it has about the same gain curve as the High Power as far as angles after doing measurements with both, but just with a darker base. So, the same issues with ceiling mount as the High Power (except maybe to even more extent since there is more opportunity for the darker screen to make things too dark at an off angle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj View Post

Am I missing something, or is this truly the best of both worlds, having an increase in gain and contrast?

Without ambient light no screen is going to help the on/off CR, so this "best of both worlds" that people want with a higher gain for white than for black doesn't exist. The gain is the same for 100 IRE as 0 IRE from any angle (other than some minor complications for certain conditions like different color temps that I won't get into here). But, the gray surface can help ANSI CR and can allow you to use a brighter mode or projector when lights are on in a room without getting overly bright images.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #78 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, in the end will this screen increase black level? One of the reasons I'm interested in a gray screen is to reduce black level.

Steve
post #79 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's quite ridiculous that both 106" screens have the model number DS-9106PM... but I just ordered mine from Amazon. Supposedly won't get it for two weeks though. I guess it's worth a shot at this price.

-Tim
post #80 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 PM

Apparently the 92" at Amazon is not the 1.8 gray. They do have 1 106" left:

106":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
post #81 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 05:44 PM

I also ordered the 106" from Amazon today (right now I have a 4'x8' piece of melamine) and a H77 shelf mounted. I'll report on how it works when I get it in about 1.5 weeks.

Jay
post #82 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gman, FYI, it said there was one left before and after I ordered it...

-Tim
post #83 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 PM

so how well does this screen work with ambient light? i saw darin said that he would use the 92" in front of his high power, but the high power was a much larger size. does this retain colors better in ambient light but just isnt quite as bright?
post #84 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
so no good for a ceiling mount? arrgh - just spent bokoo $ (e.g. lots) on wiring for a ceiling mount. Will this not give me any benefit?

also, how do the black bars on DVD sources look (e.g. top/bottom for widescreen or sides for 4:3 material)? Are they discernable or should I look at a 4:3 graywolf also (which I couldnt' find, btw)
post #85 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

So, in the end will this screen increase black level? One of the reasons I'm interested in a gray screen is to reduce black level.

It depends on which black level you are talking about. If you are talking about absolute black level or full screen "black" (blackout) then it will only lower that if you are sitting in a viewing position with low enough gain that it is also lowering the white level. If you are talking about blacks in mixed scenes, then a gray screen can help these compared to a white screen by killing some of the reflections that go to the walls and then back to the screen. This is really the main "magic" of gray screens. Reducing the effect of room reflections. But this doesn't really apply to blackout scenes because any reduction of reflections is the same percentage for blackout scenes as for full white scenes (and thus no change to on/off CR).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #86 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's not that it isn't good with a ceiling mount. Rather, the full benefit of the gain won't be realized with a ceiling mount.

I had previously owned a ceiling mounted dlp with a high power screen (retro reflective) and while I lost some of the gain, it was great at minimizing reflections and obscuring any waves in the material.

Steve
post #87 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, if you have been following the Toshiba MT700 thread you would have seen that as soon as I read about this screen I became so excited that I ran right out and bought it at BB. I paid retail but I'm considering it a 30 day trial after which it will go back if either if I can find it cheaper elsewhere (but want to keep it), or find I prefer something else.

The 106" Graywolf is replacing a 4x8' sheet of Parkland Plastics Durotherm-Lite that is bare white and 5/16" thick. As stated before, I am running it off of a ceiling-mounted Toshiba MT700 that (was) calibrated with Avia. The lamp has 208 hours on it. My room can be viewed at the link in my signature below, but it is an essentially 95% light controlled finished basement. It is only light controlled when I bother to use blackout cloth to cover the 5ft wide window that sits at chest level directly opposite the screen. My seating it at approx 12.5 ft back under the pj. I viewed random HD samples from my Cox Motorola HD/DVR, both recorded and live.

I am definatley not an expert in HT, nor in screens, but these are my first impressions of the Greywolf in my setup in comparison to the Parkland:

1) Lowest black level is noticeably improved. The largest difference is when I have the window uncovered - the change is worthwhile to say the least. Now I can throw a football party and not have the room be a cave. With the lamp set on high it looks very, very good in ambiant light compared to the Parkland (washed out like crazy). The difference is smaller when the room is dark - the Parkland seems a hair brighter when seated, but the Greywolf still has better blacks.
2) Contrast is improved, but whites are only somewhat as hot as the Parkland when I am standing due to #3.
3) Viewing cone is acceptable out to 90 degrees at least, but I lose some gain by sitting since the PJ is ceiling mounted (works perfectly for the spot where my bar will go!). When standing the Graywolf seemed about as bright as the Parkland to me. Seated viewing is still very good. There is a small drop in brightness (I'd guess 5-10%) at about 30 degrees (left or right), but then it looks uniform out to about 45ish.
4) No hotspotting that I could see, the Parkland has a minor hotspot in the middle.
5) The texture is...interesting. I would tend to agree with the "Plasma" comment earlier. I don't think it is having a detrimental effect on HDTV clarity/resolution, but it will take some getting used to for me, since my eye has become used to the smooth Parkland. It is not really a negative, but I would give the edge to the Parkland in this deptartment with the caveat that the preference may only be due to my months of getting used to the plastic.
6) I smelled the nice fumes, but they went away quickly.
7) The small plastic covering on the top of the screen removed easily and did not leave any impression that I could see.
8) Without changing settings on the MT700, the Parkland appeared to have a yellow tint in whites and greys compared to the Graywolf. Once compared side by side, I liked the greywolf more in this regard. However, I'm sure this is something that proper calibration would take care of.
9) The 2" black border around the actual screen area is nice, but close up it has some tiny white spots where the black material didn't cover. I can't see the spots from more a few inches away.
10) The one thing I would change...right now...is the color of the case. I can live with white, but this screen deserves a shiny black casing that melts into the background, not a flaring white one. A deep gray one would work better as well.
11) Call me crazy, but viewing the "Grid" test pattern in the PJ, I swear there is a significant, drastic reduction in RBE. I can see RBE any day of the week on my PJ (which is supposed to be very good about them - I can just see them on almost any DLP for some reason), but the Graywolf made a huge difference. Nice bonus there.

To sum up - I am happy with the Graywolf after my initial impressions. It may be a keeper for my setup, but I have 30 days to figure that out. I plan to get some screen samples for more informal comparisons. As you read my notes above, do keep in mind this is my first projector and first real screen other than the parkland. Hope this info helped....

Also - for a couple quick photos of the Greywolf (boxed and hung) check:
http://community.webshots.com/album/331614577HhULDO/1
*** LAST THREE PHOTOS ONLY: OTHER SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM THE PARKLAND***

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #88 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 PM

I dont understand why there would be an optical difference between a table mount shooting 27 degrees up or a ceiling mount shooting 27 degrees down.

Ron
post #89 of 1918 Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's great news in general, Jon. My main concern is #5, as I'm also used to the smooth crispness that the plastic provides for illuminating every detail of the resolution. However, I'm also probably used to the washed out image that the plastic portrays.. when I put up the screen, the tradeoff was worth it (still is), but I'm hoping for the best of both worlds... not being washed out, but not being able to see texture on the screen while viewing either.

Ron, since the screen is apparently retro-reflective (as opposed to angular-reflective), the screen will tend to reflect light back toward the source. Most viewers view in line with the lower part of the screen, thus a table mount will display a brighter image.

-Tim
post #90 of 1918 Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ron, it's the retro-reflective character of the screen that makes the gain greater when viewed at the same level as the light source..

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Optoma , Projection Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page