The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 104 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 445Likes

post #3091 of 3263 Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Has to do with potential for hotspotting. any screen with gain can exhibit a "hotspot" if the projector is too close.

Ok so as long as I’m no closer than the minimum throw distance given I shouldn’t be experiencing hot spotting correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3263 Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Hotspotting and other potential problems are eliminated by having your projector throw at the minimum screen throw or further. In the case of the ST130, it would be hard with most projectors ( JVC or Sony 4K models for instance ) to be too close - the projector throw range won't allow it.

Thank you. Now I understand

post #3093 of 3263 Old 01-15-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6987 Post(s)
Liked: 8269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Thank you. Now I understand

And hotspotting is annoying. Basically the center of the image is a lot brighter than the sides. You want to avoid that.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3094 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Wastingmytime , when I recommended in another thread that you post questions in the Stewart thread I wasn't aware that you were considering an AT screen. The previous response from @Don Stewart to another poster also applies to your question:

So, for example, if viewing mostly in the dark you might want to go with Stewart's reference StudioTek 130 and if viewing mostly with minimal lighting you might want to consider Phantom HALR.
That’s helpful thanks! Yes I wasn’t sure if I wanted or needed an AT screen either. It’s a consideration to increase my screen size for my viewing distance. My concern was whether using an AT screen degrades the quality of the picture as my HT guys says or if he’s wrong.
post #3095 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastingmytime View Post
That’s helpful thanks! Yes I wasn’t sure if I wanted or needed an AT screen either. It’s a consideration to increase my screen size for my viewing distance. My concern was whether using an AT screen degrades the quality of the picture as my HT guys says or if he’s wrong.
I've never used an AT screen or even researched them, so I'll leave it to others to tell you how much perforations in AT screens affects the performance compared with the same screen material unperforated. If going with AT allows you to use an appropriately larger screen it may be a matter of understanding any trade-offs. For example, I would think that perforations would reduce a screen material's gain and make it less bright.
Th601 likes this.
post #3096 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I've never used an AT screen or even researched them, so I'll leave it to others to tell you how much perforations in AT screens affects the performance compared with the same screen material unperforated. If going with AT allows you to use an appropriately larger screen it may be a matter of understanding any trade-offs. For example, I would think that perforations would reduce a screen material's gain and make it less bright.

Yes that’s what I’m curious about as well. I know AT will be less gain, but by how much. When the time is ready I’ll call them and ask.

post #3097 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6987 Post(s)
Liked: 8269
Quote:
You're correct - you have to pick your poison. AT isn't as bright, and sometimes I think it's not quite as sharp. But, center channel audio is better. it all depends on how you design your room.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #3098 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th601 View Post
Yes that’s what I’m curious about as well. I know AT will be less gain, but by how much. When the time is ready I’ll call them and ask.

The Stewart THX Micro-Perf pattern is 10.2% porous.
Th601 likes this.

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #3099 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Eliminating ~10% of the screen material should reduce gain by ~10%, which perceptually is not a huge hit. So, for example, with Stewart's micro perfs StudioTek 130's 1.3 gain would be reduced to ~1.17 gain and Phantom HALR's 1.0 gain would go down to ~0.9 gain. That all needs to get factored in with screen size and projector lumens to optimize the total system.
Don Stewart and Th601 like this.
post #3100 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Eliminating ~10% of the screen material should reduce gain by ~10%, which perceptually is not a huge hit. So, for example, with Stewart's micro perfs StudioTek 130's 1.3 gain would be reduced to ~1.17 gain and Phantom HALR's 1.0 gain would go down to ~0.9 gain. That all needs to get factored in with screen size and projector lumens to optimize the total system.

Perfect. I see that isn’t much of a hit at all. I’ll be looking into 130” 2:4:1 screen. Projector is a NX7 with 1900 lumens.

post #3101 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post

Thank you

post #3102 of 3263 Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Dave, that makes sense. It seems that woven AT screens are superior in quality to the perforated screens. It that a safe assumption or too much variability?
post #3103 of 3263 Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave, that makes sense. It seems that woven AT screens are superior in quality to the perforated screens. It that a safe assumption or too much variability?
From the little I know too much variability. I can't imagine if woven were somehow inherently superior to perforated that Stewart Filmscreen wouldn't be offering woven rather than micro perf. But you really need input from the experts and more experienced folks here.
post #3104 of 3263 Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Woven = Better for audio
Perf = Better for video if you are far enough back which depends on your vision. Otherwise woven if you are super close.

That's my experience at least.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3105 of 3263 Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys!
post #3106 of 3263 Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
I'll give you my opinion with installing projector systems and having both an AT and solid screen HT in my home. The advantages of better audio with an AT screen far outweigh the slight decrease in picture quality compared to the solid screen. Getting your speakers placed correctly, vertically oriented at the same height just makes the audio "right". Instead of poor audio locations like placing speakers in corners, the center near the floor or the ceiling and speakers not at the same height using proper placement in acoustics makes a HUGE difference. In my solid screen theater I currently have the speakers below the screen about 2 feet off the ground. I initially had them closer to ear height but I didn't like the screen higher on the wall. I've also tried placing them above the screen and if I had multiple rows that would be the better choice. Since I might make this room into an Atmos set up I felt below would be better for more height separation.

With the AT screen I do notice it is not as sharp as the solid screen but most would not notice it unless I pointed it out. Most people including some enthusiast go into my AT room and say it is the best picture they have ever seen. Now I am an audio and video calibrator and can notice the differences but when watching a movie it never bothers me but I notice the speakers below the screen. When they are at ear height everything is just where it should be. The larger the screen the more AT makes sense. As far as woven vs perf each has its pros and cons and it depends on the application which I would recommend. Pultzar's summary is about right. There are exceptions of course but in general I think he hit the nail on the head.
post #3107 of 3263 Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I have no direct experience with AT screens so I defer to those who do. But my understanding is that the much smaller holes produced by micro perf offer a noticeable improvement in image quality over the older larger perforations due to being less visible even at closer distances. I know that Stewart Filmscreen also claims their custom micro perf reduces the potential for moire, which I've seen a number of AT screen users mention on this forum as an issue with some AT screens under certain conditions.
post #3108 of 3263 Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The larger holes are more for commercial theaters and not the home. Most of the perf'd screens I have seen or used in the professional realm I wouldn't use at home. The microperf at 12 feet and further you won't notice at all. From 10-12 feet most will not notice but on very bright scenes some might notice. With Stewart you spec the screen with the model projector you are using and they make sure moire is not a problem.
Low Profile and Dave in Green like this.
post #3109 of 3263 Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Stewart firehawk balon screens

Looking to get a stewart firehawk balon screen. I would like to watch in some ambient light as well as with blackout curtains when needed. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this screen?
post #3110 of 3263 Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezo Jay View Post
Looking to get a stewart firehawk balon screen. I would like to watch in some ambient light as well as with blackout curtains when needed. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this screen?
To be honest, I have had the fire hawk for 5 years now, and with 4k and bright content, the material is very bothersome. It was bearable with 1080p, and you could mostly ignore it. Now I hate it. It's very distracting from the otherwise really impressive picture my Sony puts out. All the advice I received was that my room would be too bright and I'd lose light from the white walls and light coming in from the window. I dont think it would have been anywhere near as bad based on recently comparing samples in the room for the non fire hawk and brighter Stewart offerings. Also, the picture is overall darker which in 4k and HDR content again is EVEN darker with the fire hawk. This is true, even with HDR turned off. If your room is facing the sun and is directly exposed with lots of windows, maybe, but if not, in would suggest looking at alternatives.
post #3111 of 3263 Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
To be honest, I have had the fire hawk for 5 years now, and with 4k and bright content, the material is very bothersome. It was bearable with 1080p, and you could mostly ignore it. Now I hate it. It's very distracting from the otherwise really impressive picture my Sony puts out. All the advice I received was that my room would be too bright and I'd lose light from the white walls and light coming in from the window. I dont think it would have been anywhere near as bad based on recently comparing samples in the room for the non fire hawk and brighter Stewart offerings. Also, the picture is overall darker which in 4k and HDR content again is EVEN darker with the fire hawk. This is true, even with HDR turned off. If your room is facing the sun and is directly exposed with lots of windows, maybe, but if not, in would suggest looking at alternatives.
Yeah, its never very bright in my room. Mostly all 4k hdr content I'll be using. Do you have thoughts on an alternative?
post #3112 of 3263 Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezo Jay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
Yeah, its never very bright in my room. Mostly all 4k hdr content I'll be using. Do you have thoughts on an alternative?
I would collect samples and audition them in the room.
post #3113 of 3263 Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The projector that came with our house just died, and in the process of figuring out how to replace that also got the idea of replacing our current screen (that also came with the house). I had no idea until I looked it up that Stewart screens would cost that much!!!!

It's a Stewart 92" Firehawk (80 x 45, so 16:9 ratio) - I really don't know much about AV stuff, just trying to figure out stuff here and there. If I were to replace it with a Silver Ticket screen I see on Amazon for a couple of hundred dollars, would the size increase (was looking at 120 or 135") outweight any benefits of the much more expensive current screen? It's in a theater room with minimal ambient light (and we never use this during daylight hours anyways).

And is it worth trying to sell the old screen, or should I just donate it somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565 2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2521454  
post #3114 of 3263 Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A better screen will give a better picture and it is easily noticeable if you ever compare full screens and not just samples. That being said you also need a screen that is suited for your application. if you don't have ambient light a white based screen with maybe a little gain to combat some wall and ceiling reflections would be a better choice. The Firehawk is definitely better for mild ambient light. I wouldn't go too big, stuffing your speakers in corners and the center on the floor is not a good formula for good sound. Acoustically transparent screens are usually better solutions for larger screens.

If you didn't want to go bigger I would replace the Stewart material with one of their white materials but that would still be considerably more expensive than a silver ticket screen so budget may need to be considered. That screen still has value and I bet you could sell it locally and make enough to pay for a Silver ticket screen or use it towards a Stewart Cima with Neve material. it is not as expensive as your screen but still quite a bit more than a silver ticket but it is in my opinion one of the better white screens out there and a bargain for the performance it offers.
post #3115 of 3263 Old 03-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 91

One of my friend tell me about a cinecurve screen (used) for sale and he told me that’s the measurement of the screen but i love to know is this a 160” diagonal or 150”

Thx

post #3116 of 3263 Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 169
That is a 2:40:1 384 diagonal.
post #3117 of 3263 Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
That is a 2:40:1 384 diagonal.

The image width is 355.5 cm and the hight is 148 cm the other it’s the room i think he draw it

post #3118 of 3263 Old 03-09-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone here have the Balón Borderless screen? I’m interested in getting one of those but haven’t seen much information about it. I was looking for some opinions and pictures of the edges, side view and mount. I was also considering the LuminEsse, not sure if there would be any advantage of one vs the other. This will be mounted on a velvet covered wall so I don’t really need a border but I wasn’t sure how the edgeless screen would look vs having a very small edge. Thanks.
post #3119 of 3263 Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
I'll give you my opinion with installing projector systems and having both an AT and solid screen HT in my home. The advantages of better audio with an AT screen far outweigh the slight decrease in picture quality compared to the solid screen.
Hi mate. Out of interest, what screen do you have? I'm after an AT setup and am currently yo-yoing between fabrics and types. I was set on Seymour XD - partly because of the cheap manual masking options - and am now looking at V6 and micro perforated options. Viewing distance will be between 12 and 13.5ft
post #3120 of 3263 Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Shipping Lead time?

What is the current approximate production lead time for a custom Stewart screen?

In other words, from date a screen is ordered from a Stewart dealer, approximately how long currently before the screen will ship?

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page