The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 475Likes

post #3151 of 3304 Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7187 Post(s)
Liked: 8583
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello - who are the hosts to whom I should reach out?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
You need to contact a Stewart dealer for pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3304 Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Hello folks - I am trying to construct a home theater with a 135 inch 16:9 AT screen. Can you advise if I could use Stewart screens for this? I have attached the dimensions below.

post #3153 of 3304 Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Hello folks - I am trying to construct a home theater with a 135 inch 16:9 AT screen. Can you advise if I could use Stewart screens for this? I have attached the dimensions below.

Stewart makes a woven AT material- http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/scr...rmony%E2%84%A2

Or, pretty much any material they make can be micro-perf'd - http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/scr...ont-projection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 3304 Old 06-04-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I'm looking to upgrade from my Carada 106"screen to Stewart screen. My set up is in my family room that I have same light control. My projector is a JVC x590 and distance is 14'5" to screen. So which screen would be best for my set up?
Stan-Lee likes this.
post #3155 of 3304 Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I received a screen sample, is it the same on both sides? One side does have a label that says "NEVE" but I don't really see a difference from front or back?

How should I stick this 8x11 screen sample to my existing screen without damaging my screen? I think it will be tough to judge quality with this small sample, is there a best practice on where to position it?
post #3156 of 3304 Old 06-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
I received a screen sample, is it the same on both sides? One side does have a label that says "NEVE" but I don't really see a difference from front or back?

How should I stick this 8x11 screen sample to my existing screen without damaging my screen? I think it will be tough to judge quality with this small sample, is there a best practice on where to position it?
Sticker faces you. Try double face tape and a piece of cardboard the same size, that you can hang in front of your screen.
post #3157 of 3304 Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 194
For those who may be interested, we just went live with an all completely brand new, clean slate design website. Please come and visit when you get a chance.
Please click on link on my signature below.

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Don
woodhead2 likes this.

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #3158 of 3304 Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Hello All (and Don!)

I'm likely going to get a Stewart Studiotek 130 for my RS500 projector. The throw distance is limited to about 12'2" so I'm going considering a 118" diag screen (16:9).

Note: I _might_ go down to a 115" to help future proof things because the newer 4k JVC projectors have a slightly longer throw.

The room is very dark and light controlled.

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling and end up at the top of the screen more or less. Is this a cause for any concern?

Now, I've got a 2nd projector that I use to play games (that RS500 is terrible for games, IMHO). This older Sony HW30ES will be mounted on the side of the RS500 and I'll use horizontal lens shift. I haven't mounted it yet, but I expect it to be 3' off center. How will this impact the ST 130 viewing?

I'm ok with compromises when using the HW30ES but I'd like to try and understand them before I'm surprised.

Thanks!

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.coim
post #3159 of 3304 Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Hello All (and Don!)

I'm likely going to get a Stewart Studiotek 130 for my RS500 projector. The throw distance is limited to about 12'2" so I'm going considering a 118" diag screen (16:9).

Note: I _might_ go down to a 115" to help future proof things because the newer 4k JVC projectors have a slightly longer throw.

The projector will be mounted on the ceiling and end up at the top of the screen more or less. Is this a cause for any concern?

Now, I've got a 2nd projector that I use to play games (that RS500 is terrible for games, IMHO). This older Sony HW30ES will be mounted on the side of the RS500 and I'll use horizontal lens shift. I haven't mounted it yet, but I expect it to be 3' off center. How will this impact the ST 130 viewing?

I'm ok with compromises when using the HW30ES but I'd like to try and understand them before I'm surprised.

Thanks!

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.coim
Hi Alton,
The vertical mounting positions of the projectors are fine near the top of the screen frame. In fact, that is the sweet spot for mounting on a positive gain angular reflective screen. For the HW30ES PJ being mounted at some degrees of the screen's center line, it will not be a problem in your case for gaming. The StudioTek 130 has a very wide Half Gain Angle out at 80 degrees. It simply means that the "slightly" brightest seat will be about, "two seats over" on the opposite side of center screen from where the HW30 is mounted. This will be very difficult to detect with the naked eye, especially when projecting the very saturated images as found with CG gaming content. That said, there will be no unpleasant surprises with the set up you describe above. Hope that helps.

Best Regards.
Don

Edit: For optical spec sheet for ST130 click on link then scroll down. https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en...udiotek-130-g3

Last edited by Don Stewart; 06-11-2019 at 11:12 PM.
post #3160 of 3304 Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Don. Great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Hello All (and Don!)

Thanks!

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.coim
Hi Alton,
The vertical mounting positions of the projectors are fine near the top of the screen frame. In fact, that is the sweet spot for mounting on a positive gain angular reflective screen. For the HW30ES PJ being mounted at some degrees of the screen's center line, it will not be a problem in your case for gaming. The StudioTek 130 has a very wide Half Gain Angle out at 80 degrees. It simply means that the "slightly" brightest seat will be about, "two seats over" on the opposite side of center screen from where the HW30 is mounted. This will be very difficult to detect with the naked eye, especially when projecting the very saturated images as found with CG gaming content. That said, there will be no unpleasant surprises with the set up you describe above. Hope that helps.

Best Regards.
Don

Edit: For optical spec sheet for ST130 click on link then scroll down. https://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/en...udiotek-130-g3
post #3161 of 3304 Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh! And BTW, I placed my order for a 16:9 115" Studiotek 130 G3 last Friday.

Will post thoughts when I get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi Alton,

Best Regards.
Don

post #3162 of 3304 Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Hi, a post just to say thanks to Stewart for their excellent screen and service.

I live in Canada and bought a Cima Neve 138 inch from my local dealer. The shipping was fast for a made in USA screen. I was also impress by the packaging. It’s the best package I ever received. The screen and frame are so well pack and so well protect that even for long ride like US to Canada I am not afraid of any damage... It is clear that some peoples have put times and thinking on that matter and it’s work. Also the quality of the packaging is the best. When you buy a Stewart you buy the best and the packaging scream quality.

As for the assembly, it was so easy, the instruction are simple and everything just go easy and fast. The manual is really well done. Once again the notation of different part is well done, simple, easy to follow and like the packaging, some people clearly have put times and thinking to make this fast and simple. Stewart is a mature business that have a long time experience in screen and it shows.

As for the screen material, the protection in the package for the material it’s almost crazy. Crazy good! The material is roll in a separate tube and also there’s a foam protection all hover it. Again, perfect.

Last but not least, the performance of the Cima Neve is just incredible. The added gain make my JVC NX5 really shine. Now my color are vivid, white is white and HDR as never look that good.

So yes I am very satisfied of Stewart screen. Agree they are not the cheapest around but everything is well think and the performance top notch.

Thanks Stewart for making that quality Screen and thanks to your team for all the hard work you put in the details and the quality.

We live in a world where cheap product rules and it’s harder and harder for good quality company to survive. They have to work very hard to be able to compete.

Please continue your good work, we need company and teams like yours...
post #3163 of 3304 Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone in the Dallas area know of a local dealer? When I go to the Stewart website it only lists 2 in Texas and they are in Austin and near Houston.
Also, Is the Balon Borderless a good screen for 2:35 ratio? Not sure if you need a little bit of border to help with parts of the image bleeding over.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #3164 of 3304 Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post
Anyone in the Dallas area know of a local dealer? When I go to the Stewart website it only lists 2 in Texas and they are in Austin and near Houston.
Also, Is the Balon Borderless a good screen for 2:35 ratio? Not sure if you need a little bit of border to help with parts of the image bleeding over.
Actually, what you saw on our website for the Texas area is the listing of our residential factory rep who manages all the local retail dealers in your region.
Please give Elite Pro a call at 281 973-9991. They can match you up with several dealers in your local area.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Don
Dave Vaughn and Fargus777 like this.

post #3165 of 3304 Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I’m planning on a new cinemascope screen and narrowed it down to Balon Borderless or Wallscreen 1.5. I’m leaning towards the former do that little extra size but have not come across much reviews on it.

Anyone that with a Balon Borderless, would you purchase again?

Also, is the LED kit worth getting?

See Profile
post #3166 of 3304 Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I’m planning on a new cinemascope screen and narrowed it down to Balon Borderless or Wallscreen 1.5. I’m leaning towards the former do that little extra size but have not come across much reviews on it.

Anyone that with a Balon Borderless, would you purchase again?

Also, is the LED kit worth getting?
I have a 130” diagonal 2.4:1 Balón Borderless, I’m happy with my purchase and I think I would buy it again. I chose the borderless screen to maximize my available space. I was upgrading from an older Carada CCW 112”, the new screen ended up being about the same height, maybe even slightly shorter and quite a bit wider.

The screen arrived in a box as long as the screen, Stewart’s packaging was pretty amazing. The frame was easy to put together, it took a little effort to snap the screen onto the frame and I would have preferred a single wall mounting bracket instead of 2 but in my case it needed a back brace in the middle.

The screen is great but I do have a velvet covered wall behind it, not sure if I would choose it otherwise. And of course the ST100 material is excellent. Overall I’m pretty happy with this screen.

I did not get the LED kit as I would probably never use it.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3167 of 3304 Old 06-28-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I have a 130” diagonal 2.4:1 Balón Borderless, I’m happy with my purchase and I think I would buy it again. I chose the borderless screen to maximize my available space. I was upgrading from an older Carada CCW 112”, the new screen ended up being about the same height, maybe even slightly shorter and quite a bit wider.

The screen arrived in a box as long as the screen, Stewart’s packaging was pretty amazing. The frame was easy to put together, it took a little effort to snap the screen onto the frame and I would have preferred a single wall mounting bracket instead of 2 but in my case it needed a back brace in the middle.

The screen is great but I do have a velvet covered wall behind it, not sure if I would choose it otherwise. And of course the ST100 material is excellent. Overall I’m pretty happy with this screen.

I did not get the LED kit as I would probably never use it.
Great to hear! I am set on that screen.

.....but now questioning the material of choice. StudioTek 100 was my intial choice, but ST130 came up and i am leaning towards that now so i can run my VW500ES (same as vw600es), in LOW lamp mode most of the time so I am not sure if I go with StudioTek 100 or 130.

I would envision using HIGH lamp for gatherings and watching TV / Sports events and having some low ambiant light, when projector fan noise is not an issue. I would be watching in total darkness for movies though.

Here are my room details:

Room: 15' x 19'

Throw: 15.5 ft approx.
screen: 120" width 2.40:1
Room: Black flat ceilings, medium gray walls, medium gray carpet.
lighting: small window rear corner of room with room darkening. Cove lighting.

So if I wanted to watch in low lamp mode most of the time for this setting, which material would you go with knowing that projectors are getting more lumens, and requirements for HDR, etc?

See Profile
post #3168 of 3304 Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

.....but now questioning the material of choice. StudioTek 100 was my intial choice, but ST130 came up and i am leaning towards that now so i can run my VW500ES (same as vw600es), in LOW lamp mode most of the time so I am not sure if I go with StudioTek 100 or 130.

I would envision using HIGH lamp for gatherings and watching TV / Sports events and having some low ambiant light, when projector fan noise is not an issue. I would be watching in total darkness for movies though.

So if I wanted to watch in low lamp mode most of the time for this setting, which material would you go with knowing that projectors are getting more lumens, and requirements for HDR, etc?
Most people would probably recommend ST130 for added brightness for HDR. I think ST100 works great in a black room with proper tone mapping. I haven’t seen ST130 so I’m not sure how much difference there’s between them.
post #3169 of 3304 Old 06-28-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Get screen samples. The Studiotek 130 is THE go to screen for demos at Cedia. I have one, and i love it ( and I have a Cima Neve and I love that too ).

A lot of folks like the ST100 too. But to my eye it looks a bit dull. I like a bright picture and I like a little gain ( not too much, and the St130 is just right - a Goldilocks screen ) !
post #3170 of 3304 Old 06-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Get screen samples. The Studiotek 130 is THE go to screen for demos at Cedia. I have one, and i love it ( and I have a Cima Neve and I love that too ).

A lot of folks like the ST100 too. But to my eye it looks a bit dull. I like a bright picture and I like a little gain ( not too much, and the St130 is just right - a Goldilocks screen ) !
Good to hear..... I went with the ST130! Cant wait to get it setup
Craig Peer likes this.

See Profile
post #3171 of 3304 Old 06-30-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The Neve would be a big improvement. I had an HCCV screen. The Neve will have no screen structure / texture in comparison, be brighter, and have next to no surface sheen in comparison. I replaced my HCCV with the Cima Neve over 5 years ago. Still couldn't be happier ! Screen shots -
Hi Craig, I’m just in the process of getting an N7...considering the Cima and 130 for my bat cave, 110-115” 2.35...I know it’s hard to tell from your pictures, but to me, the Cima looks more “natural” where the 130 looks a bit “hotter”...Which one would u recommend for a bat cave? Thanks...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000, Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
post #3172 of 3304 Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from my Carada 106"screen to Stewart screen. My set up is in my family room that I have same light control. My projector is a JVC x590 and distance is 14'5" to screen. So which screen would be best for my set up?
How much light control? Can you post a photo? Any windows or light coming from there areas?
post #3173 of 3304 Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My system has changed and it has been quite some time since I have posted pics.
NOTE #1 : I do not have a room large enough in my townhome for a nice theater.
NOTE #2 - I am female. Not male. I like audio and video about the same. Both are important to me.

I now have a StudioTek100. I still have a 120" SNDQ frame. (I started out with a FireHawk G3, then a G4, which I still have but they are rolled up currently behind the couch in livingroom)
I also went with a Sony VPL-VW675es Projector. https://hometheaterreview.com/-sony-...ctor-reviewed/
I used to have a JVC projector. My throw distance is barely 13 feet from the lens to the screen.

I could not be happier! (I think!)

I do not have a dedicated theater room. My theater is in my living room, which has white walls, white carpeting, etc. The house came this way when I purchased it. I have yet to change that! Light coming from everywhere. All the no-no's for a home theater. I even have a giant picture window that I have to block with thick, dark drapes.

Guess what? It works. If I can do this, anyone can put a theater in their home and you don't need a dedicated black out room. I am proof.

Photo attached were taken with my Google Pixel 3XL:
- gaming in the afternoon. Not much light control. but some.
- evening movie watching. almost full light control. (Aquaman photo and GOT screenshot)
- The picture with the letterbox format and the boat is in the afternoon with some light in the room. You can tell, because you can see the wall.
- The golf photo is obviously in the afternoon with drapes partially open. Not the best image, but it IS still possible to watch something with ambient light. Amazing!

In the beginning of starting the theater-like room, everyone said get a FireHawk. And it is perfect for this room. We just decided that since we watch stuff 98% at night and getting a new brighter projector, we don't really need the FireHawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-Game2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	2586000   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-Game1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	2586002   Click image for larger version

Name:	St100-Night-Movie.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	483.2 KB
ID:	2586006   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100GOT-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	2586008   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-afternoon.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	2586010  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-ambient.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2586060   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-frame.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	2586062   Click image for larger version

Name:	St100-livroom2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	2586064   Click image for larger version

Name:	ST100-livroom.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	2586066   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ675es.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	2586068  

Last edited by Stan-Lee; 07-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #3174 of 3304 Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Just emailed you thanks.

post #3175 of 3304 Old 06-30-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi Craig, I’m just in the process of getting an N7...considering the Cima and 130 for my bat cave, 110-115” 2.35...I know it’s hard to tell from your pictures, but to me, the Cima looks more “natural” where the 130 looks a bit “hotter”...Which one would u recommend for a bat cave? Thanks...
Either one, but can you get samples of each ? Send me an email and I can send you some.
asharma likes this.
post #3176 of 3304 Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan-Lee View Post
My system has changed and it has been quite some time since I have posted pics.
NOTE #1 : I do not have a room large enough in my townhome for a nice theater.
NOTE #2 - I am female. Not male. I like audio and video about the same. Both are important to me.

I now have a StudioTek100. I still have a 120" SNDQ frame. (I started out with a FireHawk G3, then a G4, which I still have but they are rolled up currently behind the couch in livingroom)
I also went with a Sony VPL-VW675es Projector. https://hometheaterreview.com/-sony-...ctor-reviewed/
I used to have a JVC projector. My throw distance is 13.5 feet from the lens to the screen.

I could not be happier! (I think!)

I do not have a dedicated theater room. My theater is in my living room, which has white walls, white carpeting, etc. Light coming from everywhere. All the no-no's for a home theater. I even have a giant picture window that I have to block with thick, dark drapes.

Guess what? It works. If I can do this, anyone can put a theater in their home and you don't need a dedicated black out room. I am proof.

Photo attached were taken with my Google Pixel 3XL:
- gaming in the afternoon. Not much light control. but some.
- evening movie watching. almost full light control. (Aquaman photo and GOT screenshot)
- The picture with the letterbox format and the boat is in the afternoon with some light in the room. You can tell, because you can see the wall.
- The golf photo is obviously in the afternoon with drapes partially open. Not the best image, but it IS still possible to watch something with ambient light. Amazing!

In the beginning of starting the theater-like room, everyone said get a FireHawk. And it is perfect for this room. We just decided that since we watch stuff 98% at night and getting a new brighter projector, we don't really need the FireHawk.
Wow, nice setup you got there! Your review of the ST100 in that environment and with the equipment upfront is positive to hear for anyone in doubt that the ST100 needs a completely blacked out room.
Stan-Lee likes this.

See Profile
post #3177 of 3304 Old 07-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Im looking into the Luxus Below Ceiling and when searching the thread for thoughts on them, I keep seeing people refer to some as Luxus Deluxe. Is there a link to this on the website to see what it adds over the Luxus? I only see Luxus, Luxus Medio and Grande on there.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #3178 of 3304 Old 07-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Im looking into the Luxus Below Ceiling and when searching the thread for thoughts on them, I keep seeing people refer to some as Luxus Deluxe. Is there a link to this on the website to see what it adds over the Luxus? I only see Luxus, Luxus Medio and Grande on there.
Hi Fargus,

The "Luxus Deluxe" is a fixed wall mounted screen and frame.
For below ceiling mount retractable screen models, you can choose between the Luxus retractable, the Cabaret, and the Cima below ceiling mount. All models are tab tension.

Hope that helps,
Don
Fargus777 likes this.

post #3179 of 3304 Old 07-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am considering upgrading from a Severtson to a Stewart ST130. The Severtson is pretty good but with the NX7 I feel like there is quite a bit more clarity and highlight detail with HDR to be had with a better screen (also the sparkles on animated movies/brighter patches drive me nuts).

Can anyone recommend a Canadian dealer (I am in Saskatchewan) that could send samples? I would like to see the Neve as well. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3180 of 3304 Old 07-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
With their new website, Stewart renamed a few things. the Luxus products have slightly different chassis sizes, hence the Medio and Grande.
mind
I also think they redesigned the chassis of the Luxus, ergo, MUCH better. The form factor of the chassis is installation based, but keep in mind, the material is what you are after!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page