The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 434Likes

post #3211 of 3225 Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked: 8099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamis View Post
Thanks for your input! I will PM you for a sample to see if I can notice a difference.
The first picture is my current StudioTek 130 100 inch diagonal.
The second picture is a possible future screen size in 16 x 9
The third picture is what it would look like in 2:35

Surprisingly, my old flawed Epson projector 6020(that is projecting a green line which is why I am replacing-LOL!) is putting out plenty of light output to the potential future screen size.

I know my room is not ideal with no velvet, etc. But, what do you or anyone think about the proposed screen size?
Room is 13 feet wide & 9 foot tall ceiling, 23 feet long and then extending into our main kitchen

If I go masking I could start with 16 x 9 and then go 2:35 with the current pictures 2 & 3.
Or I could go 2:35 and mask to 16 x 9 back to my original 100 inch.

Thanks!
Go with a fixed 16:9 screen on the wall and an electric drop down 2.35:1 screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart Cima Neve 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	608.3 KB
ID:	2606388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Stewart Screens 1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	632.8 KB
ID:	2606390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewart StudioTek 130 1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	2606392  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3225 Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
Personally, I would prefer the 2.35:1 screen and then have black bars for 16x9 and 1.85:1 material than I would losing any real estate and having top/bottom black bars for scope movies which is what the room is designed for. I made that "mistake" and my first Stewart was a 16x9 and was great, but it got so old having small scope movies which really negated the whole reason for a MOVIE THEATER.

FYI....in my setup I don't even notice the black bars on the side for non-scope material and have no desire to have a masking system.

All of this though is completely personal preference.

Here is the THREAD when I had my 16x9 replaced with the 2.35:1 screen.
Wow, your dedicated theater is perfect for a scope screen! Great movie theater!

My room, both good and bad is really my primary TV/movie room. It really gets used for everything since it is attached to the kitchen in a mixed use room. I have to cater to the wife acceptance factor! Also my viewing is about 80% 16 x 9 and 20% movies. Daytime is sports/regular tv and night more movies. Ideally, I want the biggest 16 x 9 and 2:35 option for my room. I don't want to turn this thread into a CIH discussion! HA! So, please forgive me! In my room, my max wide is about 122" wide and 68" tall.
I am planning on some quotes for a motorized Stewart screen and see if it is doable. I'm not sure if the price is as expensive as one with a steering wheel! Ha!
996911 likes this.
post #3213 of 3225 Old 08-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Go with a fixed 16:9 screen on the wall and an electric drop down 2.35:1 screen.
Thanks Craig! This could be a great option for me to get the best of both worlds and not get the CIH people mad at me!
rossandwendy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3225 Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamis View Post
Thanks Craig! This could be a great option for me to get the best of both worlds and not get the CIH people mad at me!
It is the best of both worlds - had a 2 screen setup for over 10 years. Avatar / Super Bowl etc - 122" diagonal - nice and big. Scope - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 - also nice and big. Hard to beat ! And the picture always has masking !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RS4500 Darkest Hour 4K 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	2606630   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS4500 Darkest Hour 4K 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	2606632   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS4500 Darkest Hour 4K 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2606634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator 4K JVC RS4500 Panamorph DCR lens 18.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	2606636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator 4K JVC RS4500 Panamorph DCR lens 19.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	2606638  

Name:	Gladiator 4K JVC RS4500 Panamorph DCR lens 25.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	2606640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gladiator 4K JVC RS4500 Panamorph DCR lens 32.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	2606644  
rossandwendy and Beamis like this.
post #3215 of 3225 Old 08-28-2019, 04:19 PM

A few screen shots on my StudioTek 130 2.35:1 screen. I love this screen !

A7mad78 likes this.
post #3216 of 3225 Old 08-29-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Is there anyway to add masking to a Stewart retractable screen? Was never given the option when I ordered. Have a 110” 16:9 ST100 as we use our theater for lots of sports and gaming in addition to movies. I was thinking of adding a roller shade in front of the screen housing (with black material) as the entire mechanism is completely hidden behind a soffit so you wouldn’t see it. Plenty of room to add an electric roller. Since I have a Lumagen Pro, I can shift the entire image down to the bottom of the current screen (for 2.35 material) and therefore would just need to mask the top. I doubt Stewart sells anything, so may need to go DIY if I decide to pursue. Thanks. SJ
post #3217 of 3225 Old 08-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Is there anyway to add masking to a Stewart retractable screen? Was never given the option when I ordered. Have a 110” 16:9 ST100 as we use our theater for lots of sports and gaming in addition to movies. I was thinking of adding a roller shade in front of the screen housing (with black material) as the entire mechanism is completely hidden behind a soffit so you wouldn’t see it. Plenty of room to add an electric roller. Since I have a Lumagen Pro, I can shift the entire image down to the bottom of the current screen (for 2.35 material) and therefore would just need to mask the top. I doubt Stewart sells anything, so may need to go DIY if I decide to pursue. Thanks. SJ
No, you can't add masking. And they are quite a bit more money. Which is one reason I have 2 electric screens !
post #3218 of 3225 Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I'm surprised that companies don't sell a simple drop down roller with just screen masking. Guess I will look around. Likely could be easily built with an electric roller with the appropriate material. Wonder if you can purchase the same material that Stewart uses on their screens. It looks great on mine. Don't have room for another screen like you! SJ
post #3219 of 3225 Old 09-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Exclamation Baylon Borderless New Screen Purchase

After some months of extensive research into such an important HT component as the screen, I decided to take the plunge and significant investment over other screen options into Stewart Screens.

I decided to go with StudioTek 100 over the trusted StudioTek 130G3 with some adjustments to the lighting in my theatre. I finally received my custom 130" diagonal 2:40:1 Baylon Borderless product after a grueling +3wks wait.

I was excited to put the screen together this Labour day long weekend and finally sit back and cap the project off with a nice movie with the family. Started to assemble the frame and i could NOT locate the bolts that attach the framing members together! I cant believe something as important as the fastening screws would be missed as part of Stewart's QA, but things do happen. I couldnt help but also notice even some areas of the frame where screws would get assembled appear to be previously been fastened. The black paint appears to be ingrained with previous assemblers work.

I never had an issue with any of my products until today, so really bummed i have to postpone the viewing party and tell my younger kids that its a no go .

I have emailed the support folks over at Stewart so hopefully they can resolve this and another item i had ASAP.

See Profile

Last edited by scanido; 09-01-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #3220 of 3225 Old 09-02-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
After some months of extensive research into such an important HT component as the screen, I decided to take the plunge and significant investment over other screen options into Stewart Screens.

I decided to go with StudioTek 100 over the trusted StudioTek 130G3 with some adjustments to the lighting in my theatre. I finally received my custom 130" diagonal 2:40:1 Baylon Borderless product after a grueling +3wks wait.

I was excited to put the screen together this Labour day long weekend and finally sit back and cap the project off with a nice movie with the family. Started to assemble the frame and i could NOT locate the bolts that attach the framing members together! I cant believe something as important as the fastening screws would be missed as part of Stewart's QA, but things do happen. I couldnt help but also notice even some areas of the frame where screws would get assembled appear to be previously been fastened. The black paint appears to be ingrained with previous assemblers work.

I never had an issue with any of my products until today, so really bummed i have to postpone the viewing party and tell my younger kids that its a no go .

I have emailed the support folks over at Stewart so hopefully they can resolve this and another item i had ASAP.
I have the same screen and I’m surprised you have anything missing, I was amazed at the quality of packaging and all the materials when I received mine. All the screws needed to assemble the frame were already in place, just needed to be removed to connect the pieces and then screwed back in. Hope you get it resolved quickly, it’s a great screen.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3221 of 3225 Old 09-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the mask material AT?

Is the black mask material on the Stewart Cima AC line AT? Looking to install one with a 12" drop and the center channel could potentially be behind the mask if it's AT.
post #3222 of 3225 Old 09-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I have the same screen and I’m surprised you have anything missing, I was amazed at the quality of packaging and all the materials when I received mine. All the screws needed to assemble the frame were already in place, just needed to be removed to connect the pieces and then screwed back in. Hope you get it resolved quickly, it’s a great screen.

I was really surprised as well, but pleased to say that Stewart rectified the issue quickly and overnight the missing parts. I guess things happen even to the best of us.

Finally was able to install the screen over the weekend and the 2:40:1 size is amazing. I ended up using Prostar velvet around the perimeter of the screen which is working well. I may have yet another issue with the screen and am working with my Dealer/Distributor on this one.

See Profile
post #3223 of 3225 Old 09-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunol View Post
Is the black mask material on the Stewart Cima AC line AT? Looking to install one with a 12" drop and the center channel could potentially be behind the mask if it's AT.
On the Stewart Cima line of retractable screens, when ordering with the AT option, the black screen drop between the housing and top of the viewing area is also AT.
On Stewart's Premium screens, retractable designs can be ordered as follows. AT on black drop area only, or AT in viewing area only, or AT on both viewing area and black drop.

Hope that helps.

Don

Manufactures of Precision Professional Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
post #3224 of 3225 Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
On the Stewart Cima line of retractable screens, when ordering with the AT option, the black screen drop between the housing and top of the viewing area is also AT.
On Stewart's Premium screens, retractable designs can be ordered as follows. AT on black drop area only, or AT in viewing area only, or AT on both viewing area and black drop.

Hope that helps.

Don
Thanks Don!
post #3225 of 3225 Old 09-19-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can any cima ff 123" owner measure actual width of the screen? cutsheet says 112" but my space 111 1/2..i can shave wall 1/2" little bit to fit in. just to make sure its not more than 112 or hopely its smaller than 112"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page