The Official Stewart Film Screen thread. - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 927Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3451 of 3608 Old 04-19-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Having now given my ST130 G4 screen several viewings, I'm pleased to say the image is spectacular, especially when viewing top tier material. UHD content really shines. 4K Lucy, 1917, and Rambo: Last Blood (yea I know, but it was available on Amazon so gave it a shot), were all top notch. Also, standard blu-ray's which are solid look great too. Oblivion was a pleasure to watch once again. Wonder how the screen will perform once I upgrade my PJ. Probably next year after Sony and possibly JVC make any announcements this fall.
Craig Peer likes this.
cdnscg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3452 of 3608 Old 04-19-2020, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,889
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Geez! Actually we have quite a few electric roll up models with many different electric masking options. That said, for some reason they are not showing on our newer version of our website. Thanks for bring this to my attention.
Is there a wall mounted (vs ceiling) retractable screen with horizontal top masking? Thanks. SJ
SJHT is online now  
post #3453 of 3608 Old 04-19-2020, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,901
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I may not be listed yet. I took a tour of their facility when I was doing a calibration tour in SoCal in January and they had one setup for me to look at. They said they would be announcing/shipping soon. I told them I'd want to buy one after getting to see it in action as I was considering a vari-mask anyways not that we're seeing so much content in between 16x9 and full scope.
Thanks Kris. Looks like I will have to wait for Stewart to announce it and add it to their website. Don any info on when that should happen?
Spizz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3454 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Having now given my ST130 G4 screen several viewings, I'm pleased to say the image is spectacular, especially when viewing top tier material. UHD content really shines. 4K Lucy, 1917, and Rambo: Last Blood (yea I know, but it was available on Amazon so gave it a shot), were all top notch. Also, standard blu-ray's which are solid look great too. Oblivion was a pleasure to watch once again. Wonder how the screen will perform once I upgrade my PJ. Probably next year after Sony and possibly JVC make any announcements this fall.
Kris, can you describe the improvements of the G4 over the G3 (which I currently have).

I get tempted to go woven at times for audio, but I worry I'd hate myself for giving up the image quality I have just to move the center channel up two feet behind my screen.

I sit 11 feet away, so perf is not an option, and I've heard it doesn't sound that good either compared to woven.

My best move may very well be to stand pat, or perhaps upgrade to the G4 if it notably outperforms my G3.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3455 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Don Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stewart Filmscreen Corporation. USA
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Is there a wall mounted (vs ceiling) retractable screen with horizontal top masking? Thanks. SJ
Hi SJ,


Yes, there is an a model with screen top variable masking called E-Mask. It is mainly designed for above ceiling or as an alternative, having a soffit built around the screen housing to match room decor.


Don

Producers of Professional Precision Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
Don Stewart is offline  
post #3456 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
A7mad78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stewart View Post
Hi SJ,


Yes, there is an a model with screen top variable masking called E-Mask. It is mainly designed for above ceiling or as an alternative, having a soffit built around the screen housing to match room decor.


Don

Hi Don

I found this one which is fixed screen and which is my prefer is this the one and what’s the difference between this 4 way-mask and director choice



trinnov altitude32,Triad Gold system 9.4.6, Barco BalderCS, LumagenPro,kaleidescape strato& terra,
D-box,stewart ST100 165”, oppo203, APTV4k,QSC DCA amps
UptownLG likes this.
A7mad78 is offline  
post #3457 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Kris, can you describe the improvements of the G4 over the G3 (which I currently have).

I get tempted to go woven at times for audio, but I worry I'd hate myself for giving up the image quality I have just to move the center channel up two feet behind my screen.

I sit 11 feet away, so perf is not an option, and I've heard it doesn't sound that good either compared to woven.

My best move may very well be to stand pat, or perhaps upgrade to the G4 if it notably outperforms my G3.
Erod, as you quoted my post, not sure if your query was meant for me or actually Kris. If myself, this is my first Stewart screen, so no experience with G3.
cdnscg is offline  
post #3458 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Erod, as you quoted my post, not sure if your query was meant for me or actually Kris. If myself, this is my first Stewart screen, so no experience with G3.
I apologize for my sloppy quoting. I appreciate the response nevertheless.

I'll post the same for Kris.
cdnscg likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3459 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Don Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stewart Filmscreen Corporation. USA
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Hi Don

I found this one which is fixed screen and which is my prefer is this the one and what’s the difference between this 4 way-mask and director choice



trinnov altitude32,Triad Gold system 9.4.6, Barco BalderCS, LumagenPro,kaleidescape strato& terra,
D-box,stewart ST100 165”, oppo203, APTV4k,QSC DCA amps
Hi A7Mad,


The difference is the "Director's Choice" has variable side masking as the "Wall Mask" system's side masking is two positions, either fully opened for Scope or fully closed for 1.78/1 images.
Please see links below.




Another Link: "More involved Screen Masking Screen Training" for our European Dealers in 2013. Most of it is still applicable in 2020.
.
A7mad78, UptownLG and howiee like this.

Producers of Professional Precision Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
Don Stewart is offline  
post #3460 of 3608 Old 04-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 409
@Kris Deering just finished reading your ST130 G4 review, excellent writeup. I especially liked your comparisons to the previous G3 as well as the ST100. I am so thrilled to own this screen! Stewart quality is top class.

@Erod check out the review in Sound & Vision available on Apple News+, they offer a free month trial.

Ross
Erod likes this.

__________________________________________________
DISPLAY: JVC RS540, 160" Stewart WallScreen ST130 G4
SPEAKERS/SUBS: Chane A5.4/A2.4/A1.4, Rythmik FV18 x 2
POWER: Outlaw 5000 5-channel, Denon AVR-X3300W
SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83

Last edited by rossandwendy; 04-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.
rossandwendy is offline  
post #3461 of 3608 Old 04-21-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
For the new G4 material, which I am very interested in, what would be the loss in light and contrast if I chose to have Stewart perforate it to be acoustically transparent?

Also, I sit 11 feet from my screen. Will that be visible from my location?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3462 of 3608 Old 04-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Don Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Stewart Filmscreen Corporation. USA
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
For the new G4 material, which I am very interested in, what would be the loss in light and contrast if I chose to have Stewart perforate it to be acoustically transparent?

Also, I sit 11 feet from my screen. Will that be visible from my location?
Hi Erod,


I answered the PM you sent me and addressed all your questions.

Hope that helps.
Don
Erod likes this.

Producers of Professional Precision Projection Screens.
An ISO 9001:2015 Certified Company.
UL GREENGUARD Certified For Environmentally Friendly Products.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/
Don Stewart is offline  
post #3463 of 3608 Old 04-22-2020, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Does anyone have experience or a firsthand impression of the Balon Edge frames?

Is there enough frame to consistently deal with needed overscan to fill the screen area?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3464 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I know some people asked about my review of the ST130G4. It is in the latest print edition of the magazine (I got a copy yesterday) and will probably be on the website in the coming weeks (I have not idea when, I don't have anything to do with operations). Overall I found the material fantastic and a noticeable upgrade from the G3. I am now using it full time in my own reference home theater. In fact, I am in the process of having a new Vari-mask screen built for the room with the ST130G4 material. Stewart has a new Vari-mask frame that isn't as big as before and uses some new solutions for setting pre-set points for the variable masking. I will likely post something about this once I have it installed on the blog on my website, so keep an eye out!
Kris,

Loved the article so much I'm having my A/V dealer contact Stewart.





T.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3465 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
A7mad78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 157
When I read this article from @Kris Deering I realize that his review for the ST100 makes me to go with it when I was build my theater even I was not aware about Kris that time but the review convince me to change from ST130 to 100 even both are great but really the ST 100 is out from this world

Thanks stewart for such great product


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kris Deering likes this.
A7mad78 is offline  
post #3466 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
When I read this article from @Kris Deering I realize that his review for the ST100 makes me to go with it when I was build my theater even I was not aware about Kris that time but the review convince me to change from ST130 to 100 even both are great but really the ST 100 is out from this world

Thanks stewart for such great product


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now the G4 combines the advantages of both in the new ST130.

It's a brighter version of the 100 without sparkles.
skylarlove1999 and A7mad78 like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3467 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
A7mad78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
And now the G4 combines the advantages of both in the new ST130.

It's a brighter version of the 100 without sparkles.

Keep it as a next upgrade this hobby are madness u can’t say last upgrade


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rossandwendy likes this.
A7mad78 is offline  
post #3468 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Keep it as a next upgrade this hobby are madness u can’t say last upgrade


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, it is that.

I've had my ST130 G3 for 13 years. I love that screen except for those sparkles that show up from time to time. If they largely addressed that, that would be a nice differnce in my room. Any upgrade in HDR quality as Kris claims would be an added plus.
A7mad78 likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is online now  
post #3469 of 3608 Old 04-23-2020, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,004
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8051 Post(s)
Liked: 10628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
LOL, it is that.

I've had my ST130 G3 for 13 years. I love that screen except for those sparkles that show up from time to time. If they largely addressed that, that would be a nice differnce in my room. Any upgrade in HDR quality as Kris claims would be an added plus.
Ya, tempting to upgrade my G3 to a G4. But with an electric screen, a bit pricey. I need to wait. I don't have any complaints with my G3 screen now.
tigerhonaker likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3470 of 3608 Old 04-24-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I know some people asked about my review of the ST130G4. It is in the latest print edition of the magazine (I got a copy yesterday) and will probably be on the website in the coming weeks (I have not idea when, I don't have anything to do with operations). Overall I found the material fantastic and a noticeable upgrade from the G3. I am now using it full time in my own reference home theater. In fact, I am in the process of having a new Vari-mask screen built for the room with the ST130G4 material. Stewart has a new Vari-mask frame that isn't as big as before and uses some new solutions for setting pre-set points for the variable masking. I will likely post something about this once I have it installed on the blog on my website, so keep an eye out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Kris,

Loved the article so much I'm having my A/V dealer contact Stewart.



T.
Guys,

Friday morning,

Just sharing for those that are waiting to see the actual Hard-Copy in May/June in Sound & Vision or when it's released on-line.

These two images are the Last-Page of Kris Deering's article.
I thought some of you might enjoy his Final Conclusion and of course The "Verdict"

I'm working with Charles at right now on getting mine ordered.

If I hadn't seen Kris Deering's article and 100% Totally-Trust what he said I probably wouldn't have Instantly-Jumped-on-It !!!

I divided the last page so I could enlarge it for you guys to easily read it.





Terry
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3471 of 3608 Old 04-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Cheers mate! That might have just convinced me to go the 130G4 route.
tigerhonaker likes this.
howiee is offline  
post #3472 of 3608 Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Post It's official now guys ...........

Greetings,

Mine is a done deal ..............

Left click on link below,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59543586

Latest post 4/25/2020 on the New ST 130 G4 material for my H/T.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59547642



Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-25-2020 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added latest Link to New Post ...
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3473 of 3608 Old 04-25-2020, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Shapiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Highland Park,Illinois,U.S.A
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is it possible for me to change the material in my Stewart motorized screen?
Stuck at home and I’ve been wanting to upgrade my old Studiotek perfect screen.
I don’t really need a new mechanism, just the material.

Thanks
David

DES
David Shapiro is offline  
post #3474 of 3608 Old 04-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Shapiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Highland Park,Illinois,U.S.A
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 53
That’s perf screen.

DES
David Shapiro is offline  
post #3475 of 3608 Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Thumbs up Stewart Filmscreen Announces StudioTek 130 G4 ...

Guys,

The more I have seen and read the more impressed I am !!!

Click on the link below to see & read the Widescreen Review.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59552344


Terry
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3476 of 3608 Old 04-26-2020, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SJHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,889
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Is it possible for me to change the material in my Stewart motorized screen?
Stuck at home and I’ve been wanting to upgrade my old Studiotek perfect screen.
I don’t really need a new mechanism, just the material.

Thanks
David
It’s pricey but doable. You will need to ship it back to Stewart in the original box. If you don’t have it, you will to purchase one as part of the re-screening process. SJ
Don Stewart likes this.
SJHT is online now  
post #3477 of 3608 Old 04-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Newbie
 
matt-sf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
StudioTek 130 G4 vs Firehawk G5 vs ???

Hi folks,

I've been reading through posts here and would love some guidance.

I'm in the process of a home theater buildout. The room is about 18' x 21' (screen on the shorter wall). It is in my basement with no windows, thus completely light controlled. The floors, ceilings, and furniture are a dark grey. The walls are acoustic panels by soundply in a walnut veneer - so a medium brown.

Projector will be a JVC-NX7: 1,900 rated Lumens but operating in HDR mode so at least a 10% drop in light output. It will be about 14' away from screen. Seating will be about 12' away.

Planning to do a 120" wide, 2:35:1 screen.

Audio-wise the system is all Wisdom Audio. LS75 speakers as mains, P4i surrounds, and P2i height.

I've been debating going with StudioTek 130 vs Firehawk. For my personal movie viewing I'm happy to have all the lights off. I have kids who might prefer some light, although optimizing for them isn't as high of a priority (they are less picky about video quality than I am). Planning on a Balon edgeless screen.

If the lights are completely out, will the walls reflect too much light for the StudioTek? If I'm watching with any amount of light on, will I be better off with the Firehawk? Should I consider anything else?
matt-sf is offline  
post #3478 of 3608 Old 04-27-2020, 09:14 AM
Newbie
 
matt-sf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Microperforation Audio performance

Hi folks. I'm mid build-out on my home theater. Currently figuring out how to deal with the center channel audio.

Planning a 120" wide Stewart Balon screen in ST 130 or Firehawk material.

The audio system will be high-end. Wisdom Audio LS75 main speakers, with P4i surrounds and rears and 6x P2i atmos height speakers. The left / right speakers will be to the sides of the screen.

I could go with a horizontal center channel to avoid needing an AT screen. However my main speakers need to be mounted vertically (because they are line source speakers), so that would entail going with a different model. I'd love to have identical center and mains.

Does anyone have specs on the distortion of speakers behind a micro-perforated Stewart screen? I'd love to see a frequency response curve. Particularly curious about the difference between having the screen 2" vs 8-12" from the speaker. I'd prefer to have the screen closer to the wall (it is being wall mounted). I will have room correction (Diract Live), so that should be able to help with the response curve.

Thank you!
matt-sf is offline  
post #3479 of 3608 Old 04-28-2020, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Post Stewart's Narrated Tour of Our New Website video only 9-months old .....

Greetings everyone,

I just now saw and viewed a very-very "Useful & Interesting" video about Stewart Filmscreen done by the owner.

If it would be something you think you might be interested in viewing click on link below.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59561222

Terry
Craig Peer, COACH2369 and Azekecse like this.
tigerhonaker is online now  
post #3480 of 3608 Old 04-28-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 11,230
Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked: 8048
My review of the new G4 Studiotek 130 went live online today. You can find it here:

Stewart Studiotek 130 Generation 4 Review

As I mentioned in the review, this is now what I am using full time in my room given the benefit of the gain for HDR and the decrease in perceptual artifacts from the coating compared to the G3. It is still not a ST100, but it is close enough with the gain benefit for my needs.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Stewart Firehawk G3

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off