The official Carada screen thread. - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #1471 of 1737 Old 11-06-2014, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just wanted to put in a good word here for Carada.

I recently purchased the 118" Brilliant White Criterian Series in 16:9 (1.78-1)

I am not overly handy around the house. Installation was incredibly easy and well spelled out in the instructions.

It took me all of about 5 minutes to assemble the frame and that was mostly because of taking it out of wrapping and moving around the floor. Installing the screen was also incredibly fast and easy on the frame.

The wall Brackets were very easy as well to install. I first marked all the studs on my wall and ended up putting a center hole in the upper 48" bracket and once I did that I had almost every other hole align in a stud. This all took me maybe 10 minutes (aside from finding studs). the bottom bracket was somewhat more difficult, but only still took 10 minutes as I was nervous my measurement was off and I had to make sure like three times.

I had a friend help me lift the screen up to hang it, again very easy. Popping it on the bottom bracket made me somewhat nervous but I just followed the directions and pushed down and it snapped right on.

As for how it looks with my Sony HW40ES?

Incredible. I swear I would think it was a 118" wall mounted tv, it's bright vivid and looks incredible.

I wasn't sure with going Brilliant White, but that was the recommendation and I took it. My throw is just at 15' and it's incredible.

VERY VERY happy.

I have no idea why anyone would spend $3000 for a different screen in a light controlled room. There is absolutely no way, it would give 4x the performance for that cost.

Thank you Carada for a great product.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1737 Old 11-06-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

Assembly and installation was dead easy. It took me about 90 minutes and I did it all myself. I second the suggestion made by another poster to put up the assembled frame to verify that everything fits before attaching the screen material. Also, it would be nice if measurements rather than instructions for taking measurements for lower bracket placement were provided. I was lucky and got it right the first time but I can see how someone could easily misunderstand the instructions. Overall it was really simple and hassle-free though.
I'm not the handiest person either and was PARANOID while hoping I figured out the brackets correctly. I would have preferred something along the lines of:

For a 96" screen, measure the holes for the bottom bracket "X Inches from the holes for the top bracket". Regardless, it was still a very easy and quick install.

Looky here!
post #1473 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post
I am not overly handy around the house. Installation was incredibly easy and well spelled out in the instructions.
It took me all of about 5 minutes to assemble the frame and that was mostly because of taking it out of wrapping and moving around the floor. Installing the screen was also incredibly fast and easy on the frame.
The wall Brackets were very easy as well to install. I first marked all the studs on my wall and ended up putting a center hole in the upper 48" bracket and once I did that I had almost every other hole align in a stud. This all took me maybe 10 minutes (aside from finding studs). the bottom bracket was somewhat more difficult, but only still took 10 minutes as I was nervous my measurement was off and I had to make sure like three times.
I had a friend help me lift the screen up to hang it, again very easy. Popping it on the bottom bracket made me somewhat nervous but I just followed the directions and pushed down and it snapped right on.
Incredible. I swear I would think it was a 118" wall mounted tv, it's bright vivid and looks incredible.
I wasn't sure with going Brilliant White, but that was the recommendation and I took it. My throw is just at 15' and it's incredible.
VERY VERY happy.
I have no idea why anyone would spend $3000 for a different screen in a light controlled room. There is absolutely no way, it would give 4x the performance for that cost.
Your experience sounds great! I bought a 134" BW Criterion but just now painting the walls. I have a Sony 40ES. I'm about two weeks away from hanging the screen and projector. I just need to figure out the best throw distance for 134". I have the option for any distance, using the calculators I'm thinking 15 or 16 feet. I can't wait to get it up and working.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Emotiva A-300 2ch amp | Emotiva PA-1 monoblock | JVC DLA-RS1000 Projector | Mini DSP 4x2 | Dune HD Smart D1 | ZIDOO Z9S | Buttkicker system | HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs(2) | HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid bass module | Klipsch RP-8000F(2) | Klipsch RP-504C | Klipsch RS-62 II(2) | Polk RC80i Ceiling(4) | Carada 134” screen | unRAID 40TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1474 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Your experience sounds great! I bought a 134" BW Criterion but just now painting the walls. I have a Sony 40ES. I'm about two weeks away from hanging the screen and projector. I just need to figure out the best throw distance for 134". I have the option for any distance, using the calculators I'm thinking 15 or 16 feet. I can't wait to get it up and working.

Tom, I'm at 14'6" or so

It easily would have thrown to a 134" screen. I'd say 16' would be perfect.

It's a bright projector and I'm glad I did the Brilliant White. Yours should be nearly exact with a larger screen and a larger throw distance it should equal out. It may be somewhat less bright, but I don't know how much the 1' will matter.
post #1475 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

VERY VERY happy.

What about sparkles in bright especially white scenes? Texture free? %100 clean image? No difference from stewart and jkp? Sorry for my english i hope u understand my questions
post #1476 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post
What about sparkles in bright especially white scenes? Texture free? %100 clean image? No difference from stewart and jkp? Sorry for my english i hope u understand my questions
I have never seen any sparkles and I sit about 12 feet away on a 118" BW screen.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #1477 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've got a Carada High Contrast Grey screen, not yet hung on the wall. While examining the screen surface with a flashlight I noticed that it lets through a fair bit of light. This makes me wonder if backscatter from my light-colored wall will affect the image. Anybody got an opinion on this? Is it worthwhile covering the portion of the wall that will be behind the screen with a black cloth before I hang this thing?
post #1478 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFifthTry View Post
I've got a Carada High Contrast Grey screen, not yet hung on the wall. While examining the screen surface with a flashlight I noticed that it lets through a fair bit of light. This makes me wonder if backscatter from my light-colored wall will affect the image. Anybody got an opinion on this? Is it worthwhile covering the portion of the wall that will be behind the screen with a black cloth before I hang this thing?
Light hitting a light colored wall will bounce back. Yes putting a black cloth behind the screen, or painting the wall behind the screen black, is a good idea.
post #1479 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Curious as to why you went with the Grey screen?

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #1480 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post
Curious as to why you went with the Grey screen?
My projector dealer recommended it because my room has light-colored walls and a white ceiling. I have been second-guessing myself ever since, but will withhold judgment until my projector arrives and I see how it performs.
post #1481 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Light hitting a light colored wall will bounce back. Yes putting a black cloth behind the screen, or painting the wall behind the screen black, is a good idea.
Thanks, I think I'll do this.
post #1482 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My projector dealer recommended it because my room has light-colored walls and a white ceiling. I have been second-guessing myself ever since, but will withhold judgment until my projector arrives and I see how it performs.
I would ask David from Carada for his opinion too.

post #1483 of 1737 Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

I've only had mine up and running for 4 days. But I have not seen any sparkles at all. It's been a completely clean image. Honestly, it looks like a panel it's so clean.

I couldn't compare it to a stewart or jkp as I have never had one. But I see no way in a light controlled room that something 4 or 5 times more expensive would give that much benefit.

Just my opinion.
post #1484 of 1737 Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 2813
Depending on how critical you are about seeing screen textures, there are almost no screens that are entirely "texture-free."
Some people will not notice texture on the most "sparkly" screens, while other super picky people (like me) will notice it on even the most neutral screen surfaces.

That said, if you are looking for as little texture as possible in a screen surface, the Carada screens are among the very best choices. They show very little screen texture for the vast majority of image content.
post #1485 of 1737 Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I would ask David from Carada for his opinion too.
OK, I did and he is of the opinion that there wouldn't be any visible difference, but that I could do it if it would help my peace of mind.

BTW, Carada = best customer service ever.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #1486 of 1737 Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The one thing I don't like about my Carada screen. It looks SO nice up on the wall, that everyone who sees it is compelled to walk up to it and feel the felt material.

I just think "please don't put your greasy paws on my screen... I might have to get a rope barricade or something.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #1487 of 1737 Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
The one thing I don't like about my Carada screen. It looks SO nice up on the wall, that everyone who sees it is compelled to walk up to it and feel the felt material.

I just think "please don't put your greasy paws on my screen... I might have to get a rope barricade or something.
A sign would be equally effective.....do not touch unless you want a donkey punch......

I told my 8 yr old daughter to never ever touch the screen the day it was installed. Maybe an hour later, the installer told me he caught her running her finger along the screen and he did not even have to say anything as she ran out of the home theater.....priceless.

Last edited by AlexanderDelarg; 11-10-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #1488 of 1737 Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
A sign would be equally effective.....do not touch unless you want a donkey punch......

I told my 8 yr old daughter to never ever touch the screen the day it was installed. Maybe an hour later, the installer told me he caught her running her finger along the screen and he did not even have to say anything as she ran out of the home theater.....priceless.

haha, the first thing I told my 7 year old boy and 11 yr old girl. do not touch, ever.
no throwing, playing or touching.

lol
post #1489 of 1737 Old 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post

One of the reasons why I installed black velvet draw curtains.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #1490 of 1737 Old 11-10-2014, 06:56 PM

what I'd love to do is set up a DIY masking system, but I need to read more.
post #1491 of 1737 Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
what I'd love to do is set up a DIY masking system, but I need to read more.
Search the DIY screen forum for "my latest masking trial" for the manual DIY setup I've been using for years.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #1492 of 1737 Old 11-13-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Search the DIY screen forum for "my latest masking trial" for the manual DIY setup I've been using for years.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-di...ing-trial.html

Looky here!
post #1493 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1598 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
I watched HTTYD2 last night on my Carada 112" 2:35:1 and I have to say it looked fantastic. My PJ and screen don't have the pop my Sammy D8000 has, but man it is really close, the detail in that movie last night was spectacular. I am glad now I went with the brilliant white.
post #1494 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I found someone selling a Carada brillant white screen and need input. My projector is Benq w1070 and screen is DIY 106" in my family room. Here is a picture of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	163.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	394.1 KB
ID:	366849  

post #1495 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post
I found someone selling a Carada brillant white screen and need input. My projector is Benq w1070 and screen is DIY 106" in my family room. Here is a picture of the room.
Well, what do you want to know?
post #1496 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it will be to bright with this projector in 2D and I do watch 3D also. If others had done a DIY screen and seen improvements in PQ with manufactured screen.

post #1497 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it will be to bright with this projector in 2D and I do watch 3D also. If others had done a DIY screen and seen improvements in PQ with manufactured screen.
You will be fine with the Carada.

post #1498 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you don't have allot of light coming in, the screen will be very good and most likely an improvement over your old screen. My panasonic 8000 is a bright projector and I don't find it bright at all.
post #1499 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Going to pick up the screen tomorrow morning and hope it's in good shape.

post #1500 of 1737 Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Going to pick up the screen tomorrow morning and hope it's in good shape.
Should be. They just hang on the wall. Most people with this kind of stuff take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Panasonic Et Lae700 Replacement Lamp For Pt Ae700u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page