The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 395Likes

post #3691 of 3765 Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Any Black Friday deals coming up at Seymour???? Just hoping...
Mahuzz13 likes this.

Klipsch Rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3765 Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 296
We've never done promotions through the Seymour AV line, as everything is priced consumer direct and we don't keep inventory. I may have the occasional B-stock item around though. I'm due to refresh the list, so I'll ask Dan what screens need to be rehomed.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
post #3693 of 3765 Old 11-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are there any threads on other specific model screens by Seymour, or can all questions about all models be asked here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 3765 Old 11-27-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hello!

I am considering a Seymour AV Fixed Frame screen for my theater build.

Projector will likely be an Epson 5040UB (or upcoming release equivalent)
Seating distance will be 12" in a basement (light controlled).
I do not need an acoustically transparent screen.

I am leaning toward a 2.35:1 screen with a diagonal of around 150".

It looks like the model number I am after is the F140.

Given the information above, is the Glacier White screen material optimal for my room?

Also one concern....given that the Premier frames are only 4 pieces, I am worried about getting a 140" long piece into my basement. I only have an egress window and the angle isn't sufficient to fit. The stairs to the basement bi-level (see photo with dimensions).

Do you think I could get the 140" horizontal pieces down there, or do I need to go with the Precision frame (which would require me to go with a smaller screen size)?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	770.5 KB
ID:	2487986  
post #3695 of 3765 Old 11-27-2018, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookN2Find View Post
Are there any threads on other specific model screens by Seymour, or can all questions about all models be asked here?
This is the place to ask. Fortunately everything is fitting into one thread.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3696 of 3765 Old 11-27-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post
Hello!

I am considering a Seymour AV Fixed Frame screen for my theater build.

Projector will likely be an Epson 5040UB (or upcoming release equivalent)
Seating distance will be 12" in a basement (light controlled).
I do not need an acoustically transparent screen.

I am leaning toward a 2.35:1 screen with a diagonal of around 150".

It looks like the model number I am after is the F140.

Given the information above, is the Glacier White screen material optimal for my room?

Also one concern....given that the Premier frames are only 4 pieces, I am worried about getting a 140" long piece into my basement. I only have an egress window and the angle isn't sufficient to fit. The stairs to the basement bi-level (see photo with dimensions).

Do you think I could get the 140" horizontal pieces down there, or do I need to go with the Precision frame (which would require me to go with a smaller screen size)?

Thanks!
It's hard to tell from your drawing if you have vertical clearances or not. If you can find or make a 12' long 2x4, you can quickly see if it's possible or not. If not, or if you'd simply prefer, we can section the top and bottom. The splices are very strong, as there are two channels for splice bars, so you'd have 4x total. We do this on really large screens shipping overseas, or if the image widths exceed ~210" wide.

I would go with the Glacier White in this case. I'd also recommend you darken as much as possible all of the surfaces. It doesn't have to be a batcave, but anything darker helps.

Finally, since every screen is custom ordered, feel free to make it as custom as you like to the 0.1" resolution. For example, for a non-AT screen we often recommend 2.4 ratio instead of the standard 2.35. The modern scope films are in 2.39-2.40, and while we're only talking around an inch of height, if it helps clear the speakers underneath it can be helpful.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3697 of 3765 Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post
This is the place to ask. Fortunately everything is fitting into one thread.

Cheers,
Chris
👌🏼 Excellent. I have a few questions concerning the Glacier White screen material. I've read that the coatings that go into screens to add gain begin to cause artifacts and shimmer as they get above 1.3, and that even some 1.3 gain material shows shimmering.

My question is, is the 1.3 gain a perfectly smooth surface with perfect uniformity, no sparkles or shimmering (and I can't remember the term for the image being perfectly lit from edge to edge) with a very wide half angle, no hotspotting etc? Is there such a thing as a better or worse white screen at the same gain, and why? I'm looking for the very best screen I can find, as I am very big in PQ, have an issue with any artifacts/shimmering/sparkles, want the smoothest surface I can find with a gurantee of no hotspotting etc.

I was originally going with a DNP Supernova after finding out the 0.8 gain ALR material has no shimmer or sparkles, BUT I have a lower lumen projector (SONY VPL-HW45es 1800 Lumens) and hear that the whites can look a bit dull unless you can really light the panel up with a hign lumen projector. So, I'm planning to get window treatments so that my den can be fully light controlled during the day and am looking for a white screen material. I was recommended the 2.3 gain material by DNP and was told by the sales department that there was no sparkling/shimmering, but learned from owners and 'almost owners' of this material that it does in fact shimmer and show sparkles. I looked into the Parallax model by DA-LITE, but I'm afraid the lumen issue is the same. So, I am trying to essentially find the "perfect" white screen, though I do wish I could have a tad of an added black level.

Does anyone mind shedding some light on the quality of the Glacier White material, how the 1.3 gain material helps above 1.0 gain (in all aspects from color uniformity, black levels, color brightness, white brightness - possibly a tad of help with overall depth of image appearance/image saturation when there is some ambient light)? I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me their personal feelings on why or why not the Seymour Glacier White (or perhaps the gray as well) is as good or better than more expensive companies. Is the texture smoother on a white DA-LITE, Stewarts Screen or any other manufacturer? Anything anyone is willing to share will greatly help me determine what I need to do as far as a screen, and I would more than greatly appreciate it, as samples simply don't give me enough visual feedback of the end result of a 110" image.

Details on my setup that may help with advice:

Wall color - Flat, dark Wine Red (but called Red Delicious)

Seating distance 12-13'

Ambient light - 2 table lamps, 2 windows to the left, 1 on the right of the room, and a plethora of canned lights in my kitchen behind the seating area in the den (which I'll have to keep turned off if I purchase a white screen). Planning to have blackout window treatments installed if I have to go with a white material.

Projector is about to be ceiling mounted in the Kitchen, between 13'7" to 17 feet from where the screen will be. The throw distance will depend on what model screen I finally decide on.

SONY VPL-HW45es at 1800 max lumens

Den measurements 13'7" X 20-23'(I haven't measured the width)

The screen size will be 110" diagonal, or 95-96" across, in 16:9 format

Last edited by LookN2Find; 11-27-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #3698 of 3765 Old 11-27-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

We revised the Glacier White to nix the embossed surface texture, so it's now perfectly smooth. Its unbenchmarked gain rating is 1.1, so it would be considered a very mildly treated screen surface. I think the trick is to get just enough screen feature to get the job done, but having excessive elements such as gain coatings inevitably cause tradeoffs. The Glacier White is therefore a supremely easy screen material to live with. Meaning, it doesn't have any features that would cause you to get annoyed over time.

Gain in and of itself won't help your projector's contrast, as the white levels will be narrowed (and thus visually amplified) just as much as the black levels. If a more selective screen helps to reject white ceilings or under-treated windows, then they can help get higher contrast levels. But in an ideal room, a 1.0 screen would have the same contrast as a 2.3, but without the tradeoffs associated with higher gains (non-uniformity / hotspotting, reflective bits, etc). I understand your room is not ideal, so your efforts at improving the windows and such will pay off big time.

As for what white level you should target, it's difficult to say without knowing what residual levels of black level would be due to room contamination. Generally a more powerful projector with a lower gain gray screen would offer perfect uniformity, smoothness, and some room splash contamination resistance, but I doubt you quite have enough projector power for a gray screen to get up to the ~16-17 fL SMPTE that we recommend in a dark room. A somewhat lit room would need to punch higher than that. I doubt you'd want some dual-lamp DPI hanging in your kitchen, which is why the room and ambient conditions should be priority. Even changing out the ceiling lamps from flood to spot patterns can help tremendously.

Contact Jon or Jenna at the shop for samples, too.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3699 of 3765 Old 11-29-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
We revised the Glacier White to nix the embossed surface texture, so it's now perfectly smooth. Its unbenchmarked gain rating is 1.1, so it would be considered a very mildly treated screen surface. I think the trick is to get just enough screen feature to get the job done, but having excessive elements such as gain coatings inevitably cause tradeoffs. The Glacier White is therefore a supremely easy screen material to live with. Meaning, it doesn't have any features that would cause you to get annoyed over time.

Gain in and of itself won't help your projector's contrast, as the white levels will be narrowed (and thus visually amplified) just as much as the black levels. If a more selective screen helps to reject white ceilings or under-treated windows, then they can help get higher contrast levels. But in an ideal room, a 1.0 screen would have the same contrast as a 2.3, but without the tradeoffs associated with higher gains (non-uniformity / hotspotting, reflective bits, etc). I understand your room is not ideal, so your efforts at improving the windows and such will pay off big time.

As for what white level you should target, it's difficult to say without knowing what residual levels of black level would be due to room contamination. Generally a more powerful projector with a lower gain gray screen would offer perfect uniformity, smoothness, and some room splash contamination resistance, but I doubt you quite have enough projector power for a gray screen to get up to the ~16-17 fL SMPTE that we recommend in a dark room. A somewhat lit room would need to punch higher than that. I doubt you'd want some dual-lamp DPI hanging in your kitchen, which is why the room and ambient conditions should be priority. Even changing out the ceiling lamps from flood to spot patterns can help tremendously.

Contact Jon or Jenna at the shop for samples, too.

Cheers,
Chris
Excellent. So you gurantee no visual artifacts, sparkle/shimmering, wide viewing angle, no hotspotting etc? I was looking at a Stewart G3, but the price plus artifact issues are a put off. I hear their screens are sprayed to death.

Is Glacier White ISF certified as well?
post #3700 of 3765 Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookN2Find View Post
Excellent. So you gurantee no visual artifacts, sparkle/shimmering, wide viewing angle, no hotspotting etc? I was looking at a Stewart G3, but the price plus artifact issues are a put off. I hear their screens are sprayed to death.

Is Glacier White ISF certified as well?
We always guarantee whatever criteria leads to your satisfaction.

Seymour AV doesn't have the pricing structure to pursue ISF certification. The Seymour-Screen Excellence brand had the Enlightor-4K ISF certified but has since discontinued the subscription to their certification. In the installations we're going into, we're expected to be best in class, not simply meeting some minimum criteria.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3701 of 3765 Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
@chriscmore - how does normal consumer obtain the Enlightor 4k material? A few years ago i did a diy UF screen, but now thinking about upgrading to a 4k projector and possibly 4k compatible screen material. Would there be a noticeable difference between UF and Enlightor 4k at say 11' viewing distance?

Quote:
We always guarantee whatever criteria leads to your satisfaction.

Seymour AV doesn't have the pricing structure to pursue ISF certification. The Seymour-Screen Excellence brand had the Enlightor-4K ISF certified but has since discontinued the subscription to their certification. In the installations we're going into, we're expected to be best in class, not simply meeting some minimum criteria.

Cheers,
Chris
post #3702 of 3765 Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnebrask View Post
@chriscmore - how does normal consumer obtain the Enlightor 4k material? A few years ago i did a diy UF screen, but now thinking about upgrading to a 4k projector and possibly 4k compatible screen material. Would there be a noticeable difference between UF and Enlightor 4k at say 11' viewing distance?
The Enlightor-4K is replaced by the new Enlightor-Neo. Can you see any texture on the UF at 11'? If not, then the only benefit to the Enlightor-Neo is that it's +0.7dB more acoustically transparent. Generally we recommend a 6' minimum seating with the UF, and zero with the Neo.

To answer your question for "how", you can contact us /PM for referral to a local dealer or installer in your area if we have one. If you want to reuse your frame, you'd want the Craftsman Series, which includes the screen, optional secondary black backing layer, and a full perimeter of grip channel. If you want metal work we of course have several options too.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3703 of 3765 Old 12-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanks Chris, I'll give you guys a call.. have a few more questions.

Quote:
The Enlightor-4K is replaced by the new Enlightor-Neo. Can you see any texture on the UF at 11'? If not, then the only benefit to the Enlightor-Neo is that it's +0.7dB more acoustically transparent. Generally we recommend a 6' minimum seating with the UF, and zero with the Neo.

To answer your question for "how", you can contact us /PM for referral to a local dealer or installer in your area if we have one. If you want to reuse your frame, you'd want the Craftsman Series, which includes the screen, optional secondary black backing layer, and a full perimeter of grip channel. If you want metal work we of course have several options too.

Cheers,
Chris
post #3704 of 3765 Old 12-05-2018, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone been using the Ambient-Visionaire 1.2 in a light controlled room just wondering how good it is in a fully black out room vs a white screen. Will be using it for movie watching with fully blacked out but with moderate to low lighting when watching TV shows.
Do they have any other screens worth looking at for this application.
post #3705 of 3765 Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Screen cloth in single piece or with joints?

I got a 115" Center stage UF fixed 2.35 screen with black backing. Under normal lighting, it shows a Center piece of cloth about 1 ft wide on each side of the Center over the entire height of the screen. This becomes more pronounced whenever bright white images appear. Overall it looks like the whole screen is not a single piece of material but 3 pieces joined together. I am not sure whether this could be from light behind the screen. It will be helpful to hear users views.
post #3706 of 3765 Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbram View Post
I got a 115" Center stage UF fixed 2.35 screen with black backing. Under normal lighting, it shows a Center piece of cloth about 1 ft wide on each side of the Center over the entire height of the screen. This becomes more pronounced whenever bright white images appear. Overall it looks like the whole screen is not a single piece of material but 3 pieces joined together. I am not sure whether this could be from light behind the screen. It will be helpful to hear users views.
No, it's a continuous roll woven at ~85" wide/tall x 1000 yards long. We've never spliced fabric, as we have options up to 240" high continuous.

The way to prove it's not something behind the screen is place something black and opaque behind it and see if the visible pattern changes. But with black backing you can place a screen over a white wall without problem, so any light from behind should be very minor. Otherwise, if you're seeing something from the front of the screen, there are some limitations within the weave but we'd need to see close up pictures to see if it's that or not.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3707 of 3765 Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am looking for approximately 135 inch AT screen and seeing that this one is available on Amazon makes it convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-AV-EH...rds=Seymour+AV

Viewing distance probably 10-15 feet, will be using Sony 4K projector.

I am having a hard time figuring out this table of dimensions, though.

http://www.seymourav.com/screensfixed.asp

Also, how is it mounted?
post #3708 of 3765 Old 01-29-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
I am looking for approximately 135 inch AT screen and seeing that this one is available on Amazon makes it convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/Seymour-AV-EH...rds=Seymour+AV

Viewing distance probably 10-15 feet, will be using Sony 4K projector.

I am having a hard time figuring out this table of dimensions, though.

http://www.seymourav.com/screensfixed.asp

Also, how is it mounted?
It's actually would be more convenient just going through Seymour then Amazon on this one.

Chris I am sure will answer soon, but what Ratio are you going with? 16:9 or 2.35:1? Big difference in the way it is cut to fit the frame. You size is in between and if you email or call they are very happy to help.

For a 135" at 16:9 it would be 117.66"x66.19". A 135" at 2.35:1 would be 124.22"x52.86" Now that is the framed dimensions, the screen material will be a little bigger would be my guess.

They make a really great screen, there are a few guys on the forum in my area that have them. I hope to some day get a bigger AT screen from them at some point.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #3709 of 3765 Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Keep in mind that every screen is built to order; we have nothing in stock. Therefore, we can just as easily make it custom to the 0.1" resolution to make sure it's perfect for your room. You can simply give us any dimension and everything else can scale. We don't charge extra but just round up to the next standard size. Contact us if you want to go this route.

For the Precision frame, the drawing and dimensions are listed about 2/3 down this page: http://www.seymourav.com/screensfixed.asp The frame is about 2.6" wide and mounts just like our other fixed frame screens, using the supplied french cleats.

FTR, more AVS Home Theaters of the Month use a Seymour screen than all other screen companies combined.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3710 of 3765 Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi Chris

Looking to see how big of a AT Seymour screen I can have with the front of my HT being 134 inches wide. It will be a DIY so I will build frame myself. I was thinking of building a false wall so I can have the front speakers and SW behind the screen. The left side of screen will be quite close to the left wall. Will that be an issue? I have enclosed a pic of the front for your reference. The right side will have 16 inches before door frame. The ceiling height is 7 feet. With the false wall in place, it will be 10 feet to the backrest of the front seats. Walls and ceiling are black and total light control in HT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190131_183643.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	2519644  

Dedicated HT Equipment: Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 Projector|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
post #3711 of 3765 Old 02-03-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The only issue with snuggling next to a wall is that the light splash will be more visible. You've done an admirable job already with the dark colors, but acoustically I'd recommend a wall treatment on the left anyway to help balance out the openness of the right. A black fabric would be more light absorbent, too. Secondly, I'd cross the left and right even more to steer more away from the left wall, such as aiming the left at the right seat and vice versa. This will widen out the sweet spot, improve imaging for the off-axis seats, and further reduce the acoustic reflection of that left wall.

For that viewing distance, you should go with the Center Stage UF. While the lower gain will help further reduce room splash contamination, you should try for as much projector output as you can swing. I'd like you to have 1500 lumens calibrated, so allowing for some bulb aging you might be in the 2500-3000 gross lumen class.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3712 of 3765 Old 02-03-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
The only issue with snuggling next to a wall is that the light splash will be more visible. You've done an admirable job already with the dark colors, but acoustically I'd recommend a wall treatment on the left anyway to help balance out the openness of the right. A black fabric would be more light absorbent, too. Secondly, I'd cross the left and right even more to steer more away from the left wall, such as aiming the left at the right seat and vice versa. This will widen out the sweet spot, improve imaging for the off-axis seats, and further reduce the acoustic reflection of that left wall.

For that viewing distance, you should go with the Center Stage UF. While the lower gain will help further reduce room splash contamination, you should try for as much projector output as you can swing. I'd like you to have 1500 lumens calibrated, so allowing for some bulb aging you might be in the 2500-3000 gross lumen class.

Cheers,
Chris
Ditto.
@den110 In the first couple posts of the thread link below you will find photos comparing different black fabric options, primarily velvet.
Makes a huge difference when pushing a screen up next to a wall or ceiling.
Blacker the theater the better the image
post #3713 of 3765 Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Hey @chriscmore , Need your expert opinion on screen material - I've had 135" UF screen + sony hw40es for about 3 years now. Just bit on the new JVC NX7, and now want to go to a 150"+ scope screen. My front row seating is at 12' and viewing mostly movies these days. From time to time i throw up my XD screen sample and wish i had that extra brightness. So question is, with 150" scope screen @ 12' with JVC NX7 (1900 lumens) would you go UF or XD? I can say that at 12' i see no weave on either material.

Thanks!

Marantz 7705 + McIntosh MC205 + McIntosh MC8207
7.2.4: (3)B&W CWM 8.3 D, (8) B&W CCM 8.5 D, (2) Hsu VTF-15H MK2
137" Seymour AV UF screen, Sony HW40es
post #3714 of 3765 Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnebrask View Post
Hey @chriscmore , Need your expert opinion on screen material - I've had 135" UF screen + sony hw40es for about 3 years now. Just bit on the new JVC NX7, and now want to go to a 150"+ scope screen. My front row seating is at 12' and viewing mostly movies these days. From time to time i throw up my XD screen sample and wish i had that extra brightness. So question is, with 150" scope screen @ 12' with JVC NX7 (1900 lumens) would you go UF or XD? I can say that at 12' i see no weave on either material.

Thanks!
Interesting. I'm a bit of a contrarian currently with respect to brightness levels, with most of my ranting put on our projectors page: http://www.seymourav.com/projectors.asp That said, you're in the enviable position to have both materials on hand for evaluation. You notice the difference in white levels, but do you notice any difference in the black levels? For me, I'd lean toward the using the UF at the 12' seating distance but I'm a black level fan more than a brightness junkie. Based on what I'm hearing from you (texture is not an issue, you like the extra brightness), it sounds like the XD would be better.

Congrats on the NX7. As you can tell now, we've jumped whole heartedly into their line.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3715 of 3765 Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM

In regards to black levels - I've tested many dark and black scenes and i don't notice much difference between the two, i only notice the additional brightness of the XD in really bright/white scenes. I'll probably do some more testing once this new JVC arrivves, but i think I just have a case of "always want what you don't have", but your comments make sense to me and you are probably right that UF is a better fit. Interesting read on brightness, thanks for the link.

Quote:
Interesting. I'm a bit of a contrarian currently with respect to brightness levels, with most of my ranting put on our projectors page: http://www.seymourav.com/projectors.asp That said, you're in the enviable position to have both materials on hand for evaluation. You notice the difference in white levels, but do you notice any difference in the black levels? For me, I'd lean toward the using the UF at the 12' seating distance but I'm a black level fan more than a brightness junkie. Based on what I'm hearing from you (texture is not an issue, you like the extra brightness), it sounds like the XD would be better.

Congrats on the NX7. As you can tell now, we've jumped whole heartedly into their line.

Cheers,
Chris

Marantz 7705 + McIntosh MC205 + McIntosh MC8207
7.2.4: (3)B&W CWM 8.3 D, (8) B&W CCM 8.5 D, (2) Hsu VTF-15H MK2
137" Seymour AV UF screen, Sony HW40es
post #3716 of 3765 Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 150
@chriscmore , are you able to obtain any other non-AT white materials besides your current Glacier White on an order of one of your Premier frames? Such as Stewart material? Or any others?

Ross

DISPLAY: Sony 45ES, 175" Silver Ticket screen
post #3717 of 3765 Old 02-10-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
@chriscmore , are you able to obtain any other non-AT white materials besides your current Glacier White on an order of one of your Premier frames? Such as Stewart material? Or any others?

Ross
The Glacier White PS (for its now perfectly smooth version) is the only white non-AT material we have in inventory. We have had people send in their Stewarts to upgrade, so we can match their dimensions and hole spacings on the grommeted versions.

Cheers,
Chris
rossandwendy likes this.

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3718 of 3765 Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently started exploring Seymour's offerings, I like what I've seen so far and I appreciate the slightly irreverent tone of your brand. I'm building out a living room setup w/ window coverings for nighttime use with a not-so-bright JVC NX5 or X790R. The H105 retractable screen looks like a good fit for my needs but I was wondering if you offer it with any other materials, possibly the new Matinee Wide? I think most of the year I'll be fine re: ambient light but during late summer nights it might be annoying so the Matinee Wide looks interesting. On your site, I see the CS XD & UF options which seem well-liked by folks on here but because I have no need for AT material I would like to avoid the associated light loss, if possible.

Thanks for the help!
post #3719 of 3765 Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs View Post
Hello,

I recently started exploring Seymour's offerings, I like what I've seen so far and I appreciate the slightly irreverent tone of your brand. I'm building out a living room setup w/ window coverings for nighttime use with a not-so-bright JVC NX5 or X790R. The H105 retractable screen looks like a good fit for my needs but I was wondering if you offer it with any other materials, possibly the new Matinee Wide? I think most of the year I'll be fine re: ambient light but during late summer nights it might be annoying so the Matinee Wide looks interesting. On your site, I see the CS XD & UF options which seem well-liked by folks on here but because I have no need for AT material I would like to avoid the associated light loss, if possible.

Thanks for the help!
We've been working on a non-AT retractable design for years now. The next round of prototypes are be built in March, so I may have something for you soon. We'll be starting with the new Matinee Wide (Mark Henninger has been using the S-SE version with his Epson review here

I have the NX5 and X790R on hand if you'd like it calibrated to your screen, too.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

515-450-5694
post #3720 of 3765 Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi chriscmore, a few questions for when you get a moment pls.

Proscenium motorised masking. It looks great and there's one thing that would likely convince me to start saving for one. How does the electric masking work alongside the magnetic masks - does it slide under them? If so, would it be possible to have the magnetic masks take a 150" 16:9 screen down to scope, then have the electric masks take that back to a smaller 16:9? I'm after a solution for variable aspect movies.

Re. Center Stage XD - does the size of the screen have any influence on how visible the weave is? I'm guessing not, but would like some assurance. Everything I've read suggests 11' or over is fine and we'd be watching at 12' at either 130"-140" wide scope, or 150" 16:9.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page