The official SeymourAV center stage screen thread! - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 491Likes

post #3871 of 3925 Old 02-01-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntloos View Post
OK newbie here, and it's such a large topic I couldn't easily find answers:

Since I'm in a 'combined home cinema and livingroom' situation

1/ Do seymour provide electric retractable screens?

2/ And is it just 'better' to have a black background behind the screen, or is it ok to have 'random stuff' behind the screen? (in particular, I will probably have a 55" flat panel TV and probably a white-ish storage cupboard type thing. Bad idea?

1) yes, they have great electric retractable.

2) if you have a TV and/or anything else that could reflect light, you want the black backing. The horns on my old speakers behind the screen were black, yet still reflective enough to reflect shiny bright spots back through the screen. The black layer solves this problem. (I believe all their retractable screens may come with the black layer, but I could be wrong)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3925 Old 02-01-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
OK newbie here, and it's such a large topic I couldn't easily find answers:

Since I'm in a 'combined home cinema and livingroom' situation

1/ Do seymour provide electric retractable screens?
2/ And is it just 'better' to have a black background behind the screen, or is it ok to have 'random stuff' behind the screen? (in particular, I will probably have a 55" flat panel TV and probably a white-ish storage cupboard type thing. Bad idea?
I have a Seymour AV CenterStage XD retractable, and it's an awesome screen. There is a black backing on them that should mask your items behind. But of course darker items behind is probably preferred. I really only have a problem with equipment LED's and display windows showing on occasion depending on what's one the screen. Not a big deal. The only thing I would like to see is retrofit side masking panels since I went with a scope screen. I've asked Chris about this a few times, but although he's given it some thought there are other projects that are a priority.
thrillcat likes this.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.

Last edited by StevenC56; 02-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.
post #3873 of 3925 Old 02-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
1) yes, they have great electric retractable.
Hmm, might need to get a quote then.
Quote:
2) if you have a TV and/or anything else that could reflect light, you want the black backing. The horns on my old speakers behind the screen were black, yet still reflective enough to reflect shiny bright spots back through the screen. The black layer solves this problem. (I believe all their retractable screens may come with the black layer, but I could be wrong)
I'm not quite sure I understand how this works. Would that black layer be hung behind the speaker, but before the rear wall?
Or is the black layer acoustically transparent too? (hoping this is the answer..)

Kodi Streamer -> Denon X4500 -> Nord 500DMUP -> Quad 2912
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 3925 Old 02-01-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Hmm, might need to get a quote then.

I'm not quite sure I understand how this works. Would that black layer be hung behind the speaker, but before the rear wall?

Or is the black layer acoustically transparent too? (hoping this is the answer..)

The black layer is also AT material, and it is right behind the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #3875 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Neo material - retractable

Hello fellow Seymour owners. I have a question for those of you that have the Neo material with a retractable motor. I am coming from a fixed frame XD screen, and wanted to upgrade to a motorized setup with the Neo material as I could see the weave in the XD material. I just installed the new motorized screen with the Neo, and I am seeing some odd vertical lines in the material. They look kinda like creases in the materiel when viewed up close. I reached out to Seymour and Chris is trying to tell me it's normal, but I am having a hard time believing that. Any others out there with this setup confirm if it is normal or not? I just spent A LOT of money and time on this and a little discouraged at this point. Any input is appreciated.
post #3876 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Hello fellow Seymour owners. I have a question for those of you that have the Neo material with a retractable motor. I am coming from a fixed frame XD screen, and wanted to upgrade to a motorized setup with the Neo material as I could see the weave in the XD material. I just installed the new motorized screen with the Neo, and I am seeing some odd vertical lines in the material. They look kinda like creases in the materiel when viewed up close. I reached out to Seymour and Chris is trying to tell me it's normal, but I am having a hard time believing that. Any others out there with this setup confirm if it is normal or not? I just spent A LOT of money and time on this and a little discouraged at this point. Any input is appreciated.
I have an XD retractable, and can certainly see the weave up close. I've never seen the Neo, so I can't give you an opinion on what you are seeing. It could possibly just be the texture of that material. How does it look with your projector at normal viewing distances? Did you happen to get a sample of the Neo prior to ordering your screen? If so, you could just compare the sample material to your screen. And lastly-Chris is a stand up guy and he knows his stuff, so I don't think there's anything going on there.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #3877 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@McLuvin

Is this what you are seeing?

https://www.avsforum.com/seymour-scr...en-cedia-2017/

post #3878 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I have an XD retractable, and can certainly see the weave up close. I've never seen the Neo, so I can't give you an opinion on what you are seeing. It could possibly just be the texture of that material. How does it look with your projector at normal viewing distances? Did you happen to get a sample of the Neo prior to ordering your screen? If so, you could just compare the sample material to your screen. And lastly-Chris is a stand up guy and he knows his stuff, so I don't think there's anything going on there.

Thanks for the response Steven. It's definitely not the texture of the material itself I am seeing... I only had a chance to view it briefly in normal conditions, so I really can't comment too much at this point. I did however see some slight texturing during one bright scene, which I was thinking were attributed to the lines, but I am not 100% at this point. The slight texturing I saw was definitely better then what I see with the XD material. The main selling point of the Neo material is that there is no min seating distance, and is why I went with it. Yes, I did get a sample of the material prior. That and the UF. The sample looked normal as expected. I have had EXCELLENT dealings with Seymour. This is my second screen from them. Jon there is top notch and is always very helpful. I spent a few months going back and forth until I finally pulled the trigger, so it was well thought out. Anybody that has purchased between the two different brands, knows that you spend twice as much (or more) for the Seymour Excellence product. I struggled with the dollar amount, but thought I was going to get a better product.

I am off this week and will do some serious viewing. Outside of the material, the motorized function turned out perfect. The fit and finish couldn't have gone any better.

I will report back as I progress.

Anyone with the Neo material, please let me know if you have a similar experience. I don't want to bash Seymour if this is normal. I can tell you though if it is normal, and I can see it during viewing, then I may have purchased the wrong product.
post #3879 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is the Neo material, but that is not all what I am seeing. I wish that's all I was seeing.. here is the best picture I could get of it. Not sure how it will translate on the forums, but try to see if you can notice the vertical lines. And these are not waves which seems to be common with motorized screens. This looks different to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3978.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	2679892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3979.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	2679894  
post #3880 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is the Neo material, but that is not all what I am seeing. I wish that's all I was seeing.. here is the best picture I could get of it. Not sure how it will translate on the forums, but try to see if you can notice the vertical lines. And these are not waves which seems to be common with motorized screens. This looks different to me.
How big is that screen? Looks huge!

post #3881 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How big is that screen? Looks huge!

Ha! It's not as big as you might think... it's 110" diagonal. Watching a little more right now. They wife can notice the lines, and she could give a rats a** about this stuff. Looks similar to banding or dirty screen affect. It's faint, but definitely there.

Looking closely at the material, it looks as if the material was never perfectly flat before being rolled up and compressed. The lines are like crinkles in the fabric, but oddly linear.
post #3882 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha! It's not as big as you might think... it's 110" diagonal. Watching a little more right now. They wife can notice the lines, and she could give a rats a** about this stuff. Looks similar to banding or dirty screen affect. It's faint, but definitely there.

Looking closely at the material, it looks as if the material was never perfectly flat before being rolled up and compressed. The lines are like crinkles in the fabric, but oddly linear.
Looks tall I guess. Mine is a 105" wide 2:35 scope screen. (114" diagonal, so about 91.5" diagonal with 16/9 material) So I'd imagine yours is a 16/9 and not a scope screen then?

post #3883 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks tall I guess. Mine is a 105" wide 2:35 scope screen. (114" diagonal, so about 91.5" diagonal with 16/9 material) So I'd imagine yours is a 16/9 and not a scope screen then?

Yes, 16x9... I didn't want to go down the scope trail. I've gone down so many in this hobby, that I wanted to keep the screen simple.
post #3884 of 3925 Old 02-03-2020, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 2301
Quote:
I'm not sure if me being able to see them helps or not but I can clearly see them. To me they look like backlight rows on a TV. I'm no expert on the matter so no idea if it's normal or not.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3885 of 3925 Old 02-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 143
About to pull the trigger on a 150" wide XD scope screen. Any issues or artifacts when viewing 3D movies with the XD material?
post #3886 of 3925 Old 02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLV View Post
About to pull the trigger on a 150" wide XD scope screen. Any issues or artifacts when viewing 3D movies with the XD material?
Not for me.
BBLV likes this.

post #3887 of 3925 Old 02-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I'm not sure if me being able to see them helps or not but I can clearly see them. To me they look like backlight rows on a TV. I'm no expert on the matter so no idea if it's normal or not.

Thank you... Chris seems to think it's typical mechanical waves that is common with motorized screens. I am trying to tell him it's not. So far, I don't sense any real help coming from him. I just need to confirm this is normal for this setup or not.
post #3888 of 3925 Old 02-04-2020, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
That photo is strange. Is that a gray ramp test pattern? From the side?

I would think if it’s “normal” it would be horizontal as well as vertical.

May be worth exchanging if the screen you got is different from the test material you received.
post #3889 of 3925 Old 02-05-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Do any of y'all have LEDs behind your screen to showcase your speakers? If so, should you still use the black backing or not? This would be for a 130" wide precision frame 2.35:1 center stage XD
post #3890 of 3925 Old 02-05-2020, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe22 View Post
Do any of y'all have LEDs behind your screen to showcase your speakers? If so, should you still use the black backing or not? This would be for a 130" wide precision frame 2.35:1 center stage XD
Even with the black backing on my XD retractable, I can see the power LED's and the front panel displays on my equipment at times. But I would still recommend the black backing as it cuts down on reflections.
ElJefe22 likes this.

post #3891 of 3925 Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Even with the black backing on my XD retractable, I can see the power LED's and the front panel displays on my equipment at times. But I would still recommend the black backing as it cuts down on reflections.
awesome, thank you. I'll be purchasing the black backing then
post #3892 of 3925 Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[quote=chriscmore;59077992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post

I'm calibrating a NX5 to a XD screen today and will post the measurements when I finish.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris, when one swaps in an XD for an existing screen, is a new calibration required?
post #3893 of 3925 Old 02-16-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Planning to get a couple Seymour screens for friend's rooms I am setting up, and have a couple questions I am hoping someone can chime in on. I plan to go XD with front row seating distances just shy of 11' for both, paired with a JVC RS1000 and RS2000. Both will be 16:9, one being 110" wide and one being 120" wide.

Q1: If going with the Precision frame, is it worth the upgrade to the continuous frame to avoid sagging, while still saving a few hundred over the Premier?

Q2: If the entire area behind the screen is black (carpet, speakers, Linacoustic etc), does the black backing provide any value? I wasn't sure if the black backing attached to the back of the screen material will improve contrast only if the area behind the screen is not completely dark, or no matter what. Or would doing a layer of cheap black speaker fabric right behind the screen serve the same purpose for much less?
post #3894 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If I drop my screen down only an inch or two in front of my sub, will the screen vibrate or shake because the sub is right behind it?

EDIT: The sub is a Power Sound Audio XS30se with the ICE upgrade, 800W, dual 15" woofers.

Last edited by surroundsound99; 02-17-2020 at 10:43 AM.
post #3895 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
If I drop my screen down only an inch or two in front of my sub, will the screen vibrate or shake because the sub is right behind it?
Depends on the subwoofer? LOL. My SVS PB ULTRA 16 shook my screen from 2 ft away. Although you couldn't really notice it. My screen was not AT. if yours is AT there should not be a shake. Sound is basically supposed to pass right through.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3896 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Depends on the subwoofer? LOL. My SVS PB ULTRA 16 shook my screen from 2 ft away. Although you couldn't really notice it. My screen was not AT. if yours is AT there should not be a shake. Sound is basically supposed to pass right through. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
How close did you have to be before you could see the shaking/vibrating? Was it noticeable from seating distance, I'm 9' away.

EDIT: The sub is a Power Sound Audio XS30se with the ICE upgrade, 800W, dual 15" woofers.

Last edited by surroundsound99; 02-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.
post #3897 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
How close did you have to be before you could see the shaking/vibrating? Was it noticeable from seating distance, I'm 9' away.
Honestly never saw it. I could just feel the frame vibrating. Just moved the sub a little bit more away from the wall. I think it was the wall vibrating making the frame vibrate. I could hear the frame vibrate against the wall at certain points in a movie.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3898 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Honestly never saw it. I could just feel the frame vibrating. Just moved the sub a little bit more away from the wall. I think it was the wall vibrating making the frame vibrate. I could hear the frame vibrate against the wall at certain points in a movie. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Oh okay thank you. Yes, I bet your Ultra-16 shook the whole place and not just the screen!
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #3899 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 73
[quote=sjerseydad22;59255494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscmore View Post

Chris, when one swaps in an XD for an existing screen, is a new calibration required?
The XD is pretty neutral so if the previous material was also neutral you can get by. However, if you are taking the time to get calibrations in the first place then yes getting a new calibration is recommended. Spandex, in particular, is not all that neutral having a slight blue push. If you went to XD without recalibrating you would likely be short on blue with the XD.
post #3900 of 3925 Old 02-17-2020, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Planning to get a couple Seymour screens for friend's rooms I am setting up, and have a couple questions I am hoping someone can chime in on. I plan to go XD with front row seating distances just shy of 11' for both, paired with a JVC RS1000 and RS2000. Both will be 16:9, one being 110" wide and one being 120" wide.

Q1: If going with the Precision frame, is it worth the upgrade to the continuous frame to avoid sagging, while still saving a few hundred over the Premier?

Q2: If the entire area behind the screen is black (carpet, speakers, Linacoustic etc), does the black backing provide any value? I wasn't sure if the black backing attached to the back of the screen material will improve contrast only if the area behind the screen is not completely dark, or no matter what. Or would doing a layer of cheap black speaker fabric right behind the screen serve the same purpose for much less?
A1: For the Lambertian or scatter screens, they are more forgiving of having a seam in the top/bottom frame members than the more reflective, directional materials. The spliced frame won't sag per se, but could be either pincushioned or barrel shaped by a tiny bit depending on how you hang it. The French cleats can be moved inward or outward to change this. As far as "worth it," I can't say how sensitive you'd be to having a seam there or not.

A2: I don't think so. Only about 5% of UF customers go for a black backing layer so you're fine without having to resort to multiple layers. You can always add it later if you need. Or, it wouldn't hurt to simply pin the black material you have and you can even cut holes out for the speakers so you can have it all. Grimani often does that in our installations and demos.

Cheers,
Chris
tcramer likes this.

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
Seymour Av