Official Sanyo PLV-Z3000 120Hz 1080p thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post

ResOGlas..Thank's for the reply! Is their any reason that I couldn't just use the zoom method instead of an anamorphic lense? JB

Zooming is not the same, but you can do it, thats what the AE3000 does, if you have a 2.35 screen then by all means just zoom in. I've been doing that with mine since i got it.
d james is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pottscb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,722
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by khowe22 View Post

I am on the same boat...

I am thinking the Epson may be the better all-around alternative, but I really have no hard evidence to back that up.

If the Epson is even close to as sharp as the Sanyo it will probably be the one to beat...interesting that RS1s are now for sale for low-mid $2K.
pottscb is offline  
post #123 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
peteer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Can't wait!

Art's first look still isn't there, huh? Looking forward to seeing his first look when he does get it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post

Is their any reason that I couldn't just use the zoom method instead of an anamorphic lense? JB

That's what I do, and I'm very, very satisfied with it. It did not work as well with my Z3, which had neither the blacks nor brightness I would have hoped, but even then it was better than not zooming in. (Admittedly, very few people here probably have their projector right next to them like I do, but it does make switching between aspect ratios very easy.)

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
peteer01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post

Art's first look still isn't there, huh? Looking forward to seeing his first look when he does get it up.

Yeah, man. I stayed up late last night reloading every 30 minutes. Probably checked over 10 times today as well... :/


I just hope he isn't going to forget about the first look all together until the complete review is ready and posted like he has been doing lately.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #125 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
Carl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This pj is on my very short list to be installed with a new screen. I wanted to get opinions on what would be a good screen material to go with a pj with the specs of this new Sanyo. My room will have very minimal ambient light and the lighting will be controlled. I will have dark walls and a dark ceiling. I am currently considering Da-Lite High Power, as I have read many positive reviews regarding this material. Any thoughts? I would appreciate the help.
Carl1 is offline  
post #126 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1 View Post

This pj is on my very short list to be installed with a new screen. I wanted to get opinions on what would be a good screen material to go with a pj with the specs of this new Sanyo. My room will have very minimal ambient light and the lighting will be controlled. I will have dark walls and a dark ceiling. I am currently considering Da-Lite High Power, as I have read many positive reviews regarding this material. Any thoughts? I would appreciate the help.

The Sanyo and Mitsubishi projectors aren't the brightest in their class. I ordered a 133" Da-Lite High Power to be paired with the Z3000 I pre ordered. If you plan on going below 110" you can pull off having a more neutral gain screen if you don't prefer super bright images.

The two main screens I was looking at were the 1.4 gain Carada Brilliant white and the 2.8 gain Da-Lite High power. I later decided that I wanted the largest screen I could pull off with my throw distance, which happened to be exactly 133" diagonal, so the High Power was the clear choice for my case. The 1.4 gain Carada BW probably wouldn't have worked so well with this PJ at 133".
ResOGlas is offline  
post #127 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1 View Post

This pj is on my very short list to be installed with a new screen. I wanted to get opinions on what would be a good screen material to go with a pj with the specs of this new Sanyo. My room will have very minimal ambient light and the lighting will be controlled. I will have dark walls and a dark ceiling. I am currently considering Da-Lite High Power, as I have read many positive reviews regarding this material. Any thoughts? I would appreciate the help.

High power all the way, hell if you ever tire of its brightness you can always mount the pj real high or low to cut the gain down. Honestly I doubt that would occur as it is an awesome screen. I put my sample up against some ambient light and it shed it awesome. I already bought a screen with my first pj, and now I wished I had known about the HP before I bought it because to me it has many benefits. The only problem as you probably know is off angle views, but hell, my guests can sit in those spots
d james is offline  
post #128 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

High power all the way, hell if you ever tire of its brightness you can always mount the pj real high or low to cut the gain down. Honestly I doubt that would occur as it is an awesome screen. I put my sample up against some ambient light and it shed it awesome. I already bought a screen with my first pj, and now I wished I had known about the HP before I bought it because to me it has many benefits. The only problem as you probably know is off angle views, but hell, my guests can sit in those spots

Renovate the house and buy a larger screen!
The Wider the screen, the wider the cone.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #129 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 349
You guys considering HP screens should know that it also raises black levels considerably. So, take a 3.0 gain screen and you also raise your black levels by 3 times! FORGET deep blacks if you go with an HP screen. I went from a neutral gain screen to a Carada BW 1.4 screen and my black levels went up noticeably on my Pearl. So you give up deep blacks for a brighter picture. If you don't believe me order a sample of HP material and put it up against a wall or a low gain screen, and then put on a black screen and see what happens.
conan48 is offline  
post #130 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
Carl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input all. I am really leaning towards the High Power. Like you D James I have already picked my seat. Although my room is not too wide, so off angle viewing should not be a huge issue. Do you guys think the contrast rating of Z3g would allow for nice contrast even with the higher brightness of an HP screen? I am new to the PJ scene.
Carl1 is offline  
post #131 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ResOGlas is offline  
post #132 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Renovate the house and buy a larger screen!
The Wider the screen, the wider the cone.

Hey your thinking like me, but I'm already at 135 and the next step up is 159, which is extra large, but it is tempting. The thing would just about touch the floor
d james is offline  
post #133 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

Hey your thinking like me, but I'm already at 135 and the next step up is 159, which is extra large, but it is tempting. The thing would just about touch the floor

....





Nice.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #134 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1 View Post

Thanks for the input all. I am really leaning towards the High Power. Like you D James I have already picked my seat. Although my room is not too wide, so off angle viewing should not be a huge issue. Do you guys think the contrast rating of Z3g would allow for nice contrast even with the higher brightness of an HP screen? I am new to the PJ scene.

I think its a personal call. With my HP sample I wasn't bothered that the blacks became a little lighter, the brightness is what my eyes were drawn to, and the ability to shed ambient light for daytime viewing. In actual reality I didn't think they lightened up that much, even though they obviously had. I guess it depends on particular scenes. It makes it a little more LCD type picture instead of movie theater type picture.

My pj the HD70 is rated at 3000 native/4000 dynamic contrast, so its double than yours, if I'm thinking of the right projector. But like I say you can move the projector to different hieghts to manipulate the gain. I'd order the sample before deciding because you may not want to lose any blacks
d james is offline  
post #135 of 669 Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

I think its a personal call. With my HP sample I wasn't bothered that the blacks became a little lighter, the brightness is what my eyes were drawn to, and the ability to shed ambient light for daytime viewing. In actual reality I didn't think they lightened up that much, even though they obviously had. I guess it depends on particular scenes. It makes it a little more LCD type picture instead of movie theater type picture.

My pj the HD70 is rated at 3000 native/4000 dynamic contrast, so its double than yours, if I'm thinking of the right projector. But like I say you can move the projector to different hieghts to manipulate the gain. I'd order the sample before deciding because you may not want to lose any blacks

My old Epson 2200 lumen PJ had horrible blacks, but I loved my HP and Silverstar samples. They really made things looks more like a backlit flatpanel. The Vutec Silverstar had too much screen texture for my liking, however.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #136 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
peteer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Yeah, man. I stayed up late last night reloading every 30 minutes. Probably checked over 10 times today as well... :/


I just hope he isn't going to forget about the first look all together until the complete review is ready and posted like he has been doing lately.

It's up, and I'm off to go read it:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...or-first-look/

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
peteer01 is offline  
post #137 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
tommyv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds good, but we all need pictures. This current sub-$3000 black level war is being won by the old 1080UB, how cool is that?

Hopefully this thing is good and cheap! 3-year warranty is a huge plus, as is the dust-removal system. Competition is a good thing, that's for sure.

=Tommy v2=
tommyv2 is offline  
post #138 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Thats not very cool. It seems everyone is over a year behind on Epson, and the 6500 has doubled its native contrast when compared to the 1080ub.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
conan48 is offline  
post #139 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
d james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Thats not very cool. It seems everyone is over a year behind on Epson, and the 6500 has doubled its native contrast when compared to the 1080ub.

http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I thought it was 4000, and now up to 6000 something?
d james is offline  
post #140 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
peteer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

I thought it was 4000, and now up to 6000 something?

How Epson sells their entry level and top projector

Japan = TW3000 & TW4000
Europe TW3000/TW3800 & TW5000
US = 6100/7100 & 6500/7500

So, as long as your talking about picture quality and performance, it should be TW4000 = TW5000 = 6500

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
peteer01 is offline  
post #141 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking forward to the Z3000 review, but it's a shame that I won't know how she performs for gaming until I get her in my paws.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #142 of 669 Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
peteer01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

I'm looking forward to the Z3000 review, but it's a shame that I won't know how she performs for gaming until I get her in my paws.

Photos please, once you get her.

Enjoying my second TW4000 and my new screen.
As my wife said, "Wow, it really does look a lot better...and if I think that way, imagine how you must think it looks!"
peteer01 is offline  
post #143 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder why the Epson 6500 and Sanyo Z3000 aren't available in the states yet? If the pricing wasn't so unfair at the moment, I would have imported from Japan by now.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #144 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

I wonder why the Epson 6500 and Sanyo Z3000 aren't available in the states yet?

Ummmmmm... Because they haven't released yet. lol
Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #145 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Newbie
 
Carl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys check out projectorpeople.com, they have a $200 rebate offer listed on the product page. Get your pre-orders in.
Carl1 is offline  
post #146 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bri1270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Hey guys check out projectorpeople.com, they have a $200 rebate offer listed on the product page. Get your pre-orders in.

Wow - that's some impressive pricing.
bri1270 is offline  
post #147 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 1,107
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1 View Post

Hey guys check out projectorpeople.com, they have a $200 rebate offer listed on the product page. Get your pre-orders in.

Thanks for the tip!!! V/A also has the same rebate offer. Now just waiting for the reviews. Hope the black levels are better than Art's first look though.
stopdog is offline  
post #148 of 669 Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ryoohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Repentigny, Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's always mail in rebate with Sanyo Product. The Z2000 had one at the start and they added stuff down the way. In the US it was 600$, in Canada 300$+Free Lamp or 500$. In 6 month they'll offer a free lamp and maybe even a bigger rebate..

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
ryoohki is offline  
post #149 of 669 Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1 View Post

Hey guys check out projectorpeople.com, they have a $200 rebate offer listed on the product page. Get your pre-orders in.

Nice, that's $200 I wasn't planning on getting back.
ResOGlas is offline  
post #150 of 669 Old 12-07-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ResOGlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Feierman View Post

I’m hoping to publish the full review on Friday, or more likely, this Saturday.

Fool me twice, shame on me. Guess we'll have to wait until later, again.
ResOGlas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sanyo Plv Z3000 1080p Home Theater Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off