How To Improvise Foam Projector Air Filter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By petew

post #1 of 17 Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an old Sony LCD projector. Went to clean the foam filter like I do every year today and it desintegrated when I touched it. No spare on hand. It's a thin material maybe about "1/8 inch thick. Can anyone here advise what kind of foam material can be used in a pinch like this for a replacement and where might I be able to purchase the material?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
a thin porous foam with some oil evenly distributed though it should work. the dust will stick to the oil

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #3 of 17 Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
An oiled air filter is good for a lawn mower but I wouldn't do that with electronic gear.
BjornK and Mike Garrett like this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

I have an old Sony LCD projector. Went to clean the foam filter like I do every year today and it desintegrated when I touched it. No spare on hand. It's a thin material maybe about "1/8 inch thick. Can anyone here advise what kind of foam material can be used in a pinch like this for a replacement and where might I be able to purchase the material?

Thank you.

Hey man! You talking about the VW10HT? I purchased a bunch of foam air filter material that is basically the same as what was in the projector. The material is white not charcoal but it works. Send me a PM and I will send you some for free. I have a box of it I purchased last year and I don't have the projector any more.

Ron
post #5 of 17 Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

An oiled air filter is good for a lawn mower but I wouldn't do that with electronic gear.

Actually i used that on my gocart many years ago but your probably right

XBL Krimzen Rage
post #6 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
- My Philips Proscreen 4750G filter did the same thing just last night ... came out in pieces and powder. I stripped all the old stuff off the filter frame and cut the toe from an old pair of panty hose, then slipped the frame inside and slid it in the slot. Works like a charm.

Caveats:

1. I know my projector gets warm, but not hot, where the filter goes, so I wasn't worried about melting. Your unit may vary ... the foam that belongs there is significantly more resistant to heat than panty hose.

2. Panty hose are thin and liable to snag on things. Have a care putting it in that it's not torn in the process. Best approach is to try it and pull it out, then see if it's in one piece to get feedback on how it inserts. May use more panty hose, but save the projector, which sounds like a bonus to me. (wink)

3. My particular projector has a switch way inside that must be pressed before the unit will turn on. The first three times I put the panty hose filter in, the seam on the toe prevented the frame from inserting fully (the tolerance is that close), and the projector wouldn't work. After tearing that one putting it in and taking it out over and over I realized what was happening and moved the seam (using the other toe) to allow it to work.

Enjoy!

Rags

P.S. Ronomy is a real gem. He's sending me some filter material so I fix it "right". But this *works*, and it's how my projector is being used in the meantime, so I thought I'd toss it out there for when he's run out. (grin)
post #7 of 17 Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It it were me (and it isn't), I'd try the filtrete allergy filters they sell at Lowes and other places...but the 1000 or higher...works great on HVAC, why not pjs? Just cut to fit...
post #8 of 17 Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Incredibly old link, I know, but I discovered that the VW11HT filters fit. Got some of of those on ebay - direct from Japan - 4 filters for about $40.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 01:58 PM

I am just amazed that I found this thread, but more so that the LAST poster was just the 13th of August! That is the very day that I did the exact same thing with a Sony projector filter that the first poster did--oh so long ago.

Anyway, please...last poster, will you tell me more about the filters you found on ebay? I tried to search with the numbers/letters you gave and all that came up were the bulbs and bulb housing.

Thanks so much!!
post #10 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
easy! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PK-VW11FL-Air-Filter-for-VPL-VW11-VPL-VW12-/360700018303?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item53fb657e7f $48 for 4. direct from japan

I just had to search for "VW11 air filter" they fit the VW10 just fine (which was what I had)

if you wanna REALLY cheap (and prolly not as good) solution, try

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-FILTER-FOR-SONY-VPL-VW11-VPL-VW12-PK-VW11FL-PROJECTOR-/230853790306?pt=US_Projector_Lamps_Components&hash=item35bff54a62
post #11 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Thanks!! After seeing the one you bought, I can tell it won't work. The projector is old--model VPL-CX85. The foam looks perfect!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Okay, here's the deal: I actually do not own this projector and I borrowed it and must return it too soon to order from ebay. I found this at Lowes and can go get it today, so do you think it will work?
post #13 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM

My only worry is that 1/4 inch is too thick. It doesn't seem like the one that disintegrated was that thick.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 02:33 PM

I was trying to be nice and clean the filter for the owner, since I don't think he's done any maintenance or cleaning to prolong life of bulb. Also, have you ever bought bulb? I notice there's a "housing" for it, but can one just buy the bulb and replace it without having to buy the whole housing? I've seen the whole housing and bulb on amazon for $70+.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM

WONDERFUL!! Bought the filter (in the photo) at Lowes for a big $1.58 and it works great!! There's enough for about 8 uses, too. I cut and fit it, ran the projector for 30 minutes or so, and not a bit of heat in the area of the vent!
Super happy with the outcome!
post #16 of 17 Old 07-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Liked: 0
My epson EX70 projector filter disintegrated and I was looking for replacement and found one for $42! Couldn't stomach that. Found this forum and stole the idea of using panty hose--kaboom! Fixed. My wife recovered quickly after I inquired about her having some spare panty hose. Thanks for taking the time to post the excellent solving ideas!
post #17 of 17 Old 07-06-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 413
a better choice may be a heating register filter.. any home center
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-1...VENT/100351670

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links