Planar PD8130/PD8150 SW update available - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have just posted a new version of software for the Planar PD8130 and PD8150.

Here is what it improves:

*Corrected the ability to adjust for crushing black and clipping whites for digital component
video signals.

*Corrected cadence reconstruction for 60Hz sources when the projector is set to 48Hz.

*Fixed aspect ratio issues during PIP functions.

*Corrected some RS232 command functions

*Improved ability to automatically detect appropriate color space.

*Numerous cosmetic improvements to the OSD.

*Numerous compatibility improvements for analog sources.

You can download the file here:

http://apps.planar.com/downloads/hometheater/

Brian Carskadon
Director of Product Management
Planar Systems, Home Theater Business Unit
Brands: Runco, Vidikron, Planar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM

I ve made the upgrade.

I am happy now I can see BTB to set the contrast and brightness.

Thank you Brian.
post #3 of 91 Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Brian...dumb question

I just had the PD8130 installed today, and noticed the software version showing is MP03-GP03-0009-0001. Does this mean I should upgrade? My dealer just ordered the projector last week, I guess I was thinking this new version would be loaded already?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Wow - a projector company who issues user-installable firmware revisions.
Respect
post #5 of 91 Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 AM

Hi.

Trying to update my PD8150 but without luck.
Cannot get the main app "Firmware Upgrade Tool" to run properly.
When i execute it it just makes quick flash and then goes away.
I can see that it is running in the task manager but thats it i get no GUI.
Have tested it on several computers running both Vista and XP sp2.

Projector connected and com port set to #1.
Also with a USB to RS232 adapter.

What im i doing wrong?
post #6 of 91 Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Well im still trying ,but no luck so far.
And no reply from Planar support.
post #7 of 91 Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marling View Post

Well im still trying ,but no luck so far.
And no reply from Planar support.

Hello,

Our offices were closed for the holiday, but are open today. I think the issue may be with the USB to RS232 adapter. Can you hook directly to your PC with RS232 (into a DB9)?

Brian Carskadon
post #8 of 91 Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM

Yes i have done that also but the result are the same.
And i dont think it's the cable either , have used it before to upgrade a D80E.

The thing is that i cant even get the main app to run as it should.
Does it check for a proper connection as it starts and that maybe the reason?
What i mean is that if the app doesnt the connection it will not run properly?
post #9 of 91 Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Brian.

Can you get the app to run without having the projector connected?
Or is that a must in order for it to start?
If that is so then i will have to get another cable.
Are there more than one kind?
Have used it before on my Sim D80.
post #10 of 91 Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 AM

Liked: 58
marling,

It could very possibly be your adapter. Being in this business for sometime and using many different types of adapters and equipment with RS-232 not all adapters work with every piece of equipment!

I have yet to find an RS-232/USB adapter that worked for all our products. What I have found that works on everything is a compter/ laptop that has RS-232 built in or for computers a PCI RS-232 card and laptops a PCMIA/RS-232 adapter. I have yet to have a problem with any of the card type adapters including Planar.

I haven't tried a Planar with a USB/RS-232 adapter as we gave up on them some time ago. For the record we have had Radio Shack, Belkin, Keyspan, SIIG and some other brands I don't remember. None of them worked with all our equipment and it wasn't the same equipment that gave us problems. We use to carry muliple adapters for different equipment.

We currently use a Socket PCMIA card for the laptops which has 2-RS232 ports and have had no problems.

hope this helps.

Bob
post #11 of 91 Old 12-30-2008, 05:56 AM

Hi Bob , thanks for your reply.

The thing is that i have also tried it without the adapter using the original seriell port on two seperat pc's. Both gave the same result.
I cannot get the main app to run properly , it shows no GUI.
Are there something else needed to make it run or does it check the ports for a connection and if if doesnt find it it wont work?
Can you run it without having the pc connected to the projector?

When i run the Firmware Upgrade Tool.exe it just makes a quick flash , not long enough to read the error message.
Im connected to the projector and it is set to COM#1.
The projector has power but are not turned on.
post #12 of 91 Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Hi Bob , thanks for your reply.

The thing is that i have also tried it without the adapter using the original seriell port on two seperat pc's. Both gave the same result.

Have you tried with the computer in SAFE mode? Worth a shot.

UPDATE

I successfully upgraded the firmware using a USB-to-RS232 cable I purchased from Radio Shack - the Gigaware 6ft. USB-A to Serial Cable, #26-949. Laptop is a HP Pavilion dv2313 running Vista 32. My laptop does not have a RS232 port (not much does these days). So I decide to give this a try.

After installing the drivers that came with the cable, I attached the cable to the projector and then to a USB slot. THEN, open up the Device Manager, look for an Item called Ports. You should see the USB-A to Serial Cable item. Double click

In the Advanced tab, select a free COMM port to use (I used 3). Then per the Planar users manual, set it to 38400 bps, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no flow control. Save and close the Device Manager.

Make sure you have extracted all ZIP items from the firmware download into a folder. Double click the application and proceed per instructions.

Also, the instruction pdf shows a time of about 00:44 on the page where it says the process is complete. It actually took mine close to 15 mins, so be patient. As long as the process dots keep moving, you are making progress.

Hope this helps.
post #13 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Hi TonyL222.

Thanks for your good advice. But unfortunately no luck this time either.
I bought a new cable and i have tried it with two PC's running XP sp2.
One with the adapter and the other one using the seriell port on the back.

Went trough every step of your very good description.
The result are still exactly the same , just a quick flash and then no GUI.

Can you run the app and get the GUI if you are not connected to the projector?
post #14 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the useful info
post #15 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:

...Can you run the app and get the GUI if you are not connected to the projector?

Yes, I can.
post #16 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Tonight I tried upgrading the software to PVT18_20080618 for my PD8150. I failed to do so and ended up with projector not working! Please help!!!

Here is how it went:
I started the Firmware Upgrade Tool 1.1.6 and connected my laptop via PCMCIA RS323 card adapter to PD8150 (it was powered off of course). I did the 'Projector communication test' and got the OK result as the manual says. Then I changed the file to PD8150.txt and clicked 'Upgrade SW'. The download status bar progressed until almost the end (file 1 of 2) and then stopped for a long while. I think I got error 'Communication with projector failed'. Then I unplugged the cable and tried to rerun the Firmware Upgrade Tool. But unfortunately I could never again get it to communicate with the projector. I then tried to power on the PJ but it did not start! I pluged out the power cord, waited a few minutes, plugged in again but the result was the same - the projector does not start!! What to do now? I am really angry about this . I did everything as in the manual. Please help ASAP.

Thank you all for any help
post #17 of 91 Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I sent you a PM. I have not had any unit fail, so this is a new one for me. We will want to get more details from you (PC type, Windows version) and also the RS-232 cable you were using will need to be sent back with the unit for testing.

Sorry for the issue, and we will try and find out what went wrong.

Brian Carskadon
post #18 of 91 Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 AM

Sorry to hear that Kobe , that is one's worst nightmare. This shouldn't happen unless you have a power failure!
Sadly Planars support isn't much good either. I cant even get the upgrade app up and running.
The last reply from Planar's support was "I have ran into issue when loading from a computer with XP Service Pack 3. If you are loading from this type of system please try a different computer and it should work."
They don't answer some of my basic question in order for me to search for what is wrong.
I have Xp sp2 and Vista , and i told them so. Now they won't even respond to any of my mails any more.
Now I will have to take the projector to my dealer and see if he can make the upgrade.
post #19 of 91 Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Maybe the support/lack thereof has something to do with why AVS no longer handles them.

Brian, is there anything you can say about this to reassure potential customers such as myself?

Noah
post #20 of 91 Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM

Liked: 17
As a PD7150 owner, everything I've read about Planar's support has been A++, and I've actually read every page of every Planar thread for the past six months. I suggest that it's marling's issue.

However I have asked Jason why they no longer carry Planar, and he declines to answer for some reason.

I remain confident in Planar, given the quality of their other products, and the advanced projector technology, present in no other brand. Look around, I'm the class skeptic; if there's a problem I rudely say it. But so far so good, here.
post #21 of 91 Old 01-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Guys,
I got a quick response from Brian Clarkson which calmed me down a little. I am sure they will do their best to help me. So far I have been very happy with PD8150. It gives a truly amazing picture with no flaws. No LCD pj can stand the comparison. I am aware of the fact that there are just too many electronic devices and software with compatibility problems on the market and you can't test it all before at the factory. But still, this doesn't change my feelings . I live in Poland, EU and sending the pj to US will cost me more and take time.

Some thoughts:
1) Why the hell RS232 port is used for communication? This type of port is a crap and is outdated. Can't they use USB?
2) Each pj should have a separate backup memory bank keeping the factory software which, in cases as mine, could be used to reset. There should be a way to reset to a factory firmware. Considering the software is a few MB at most or even less this should be not much of a cost.
post #22 of 91 Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post

Guys,
I got a quick response from Brian Clarkson which calmed me down a little. I am sure they will do their best to help me. So far I have been very happy with PD8150. It gives a truly amazing picture with no flaws. No LCD pj can stand the comparison. I am aware of the fact that there are just too many electronic devices and software with compatibility problems on the market and you can't test it all before at the factory. But still, this doesn't change my feelings . I live in Poland, EU and sending the pj to US will cost me more and take time.

Some thoughts:
1) Why the hell RS232 port is used for communication? This type of port is a crap and is outdated. Can't they use USB?
2) Each pj should have a separate backup memory bank keeping the factory software which, in cases as mine, could be used to reset. There should be a way to reset to a factory firmware. Considering the software is a few MB at most or even less this should be not much of a cost.

Hi guys,

We test our SW with the latest MS SW we have at the time. If MS does some update (SPx) we may not find out an issue for some time. We try and keep our ears open, but sometimes these things happen and we jump on them quick. Our support team is very well trained and responsive; and they keep an eye on this fourm. As you can see, Bob Williams and I have always been responsive to questions and problems. If you are not getting the support you need, PM me or Bob. Find me another brand that will do that! We will do what we can here, so give us a chance.

Brian Carskadon
post #23 of 91 Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Just to let you know,
I got a call from Brian Clarkson and they are trying to help me ASAP. One thing certain - I will have to ship the unit for repair. So far I am very happy with how they have been handling my issue. I am sure this is a trustworthy company and Brian is doing a great job for their reputation. I'll keep you updated.

PS.
Please don't use a PCMCIA RS232 cardbus for the firmware update. Use a direct RS232 to RS232 feed (like ones found in docking stations). Otherwise you might get into my shoes.
post #24 of 91 Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi.
I just got a pd8130 back from planar repair service and turned it on successfully for the first time. However, I have two questions:
1) I have connected it as a secondary display to my computer using the RGB (D-Sub) cable and a DVI->VGA adapter, enabled the secondary display in display settings in windows, but the projector says "Input: COMP Searching for source" and doesn't show any picture.
2) How do I check if my firmware is the latest or not?
And actually, a 3rd question:
Why are so many menu items gray'ed out and inaccessible?
post #25 of 91 Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Hi.
I just got a pd8130 back from planar repair service and turned it on successfully for the first time. However, I have two questions:
1) I have connected it as a secondary display to my computer using the RGB (D-Sub) cable and a DVI->VGA adapter, enabled the secondary display in display settings in windows, but the projector says "Input: COMP Searching for source" and doesn't show any picture.
2) How do I check if my firmware is the latest or not?
And actually, a 3rd question:
Why are so many menu items gray'ed out and inaccessible?

1) To get RGB output, set the source to RGB (you can not have dual output).
2) The latest firmware will show up in the Service Menu as MP18 (then a bunch of other numbers)
3) Any menu item that is not usable with that signal type is grayed out, or if it is not locked to a source

Brian Carskadon
post #26 of 91 Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just tried updating the firmware on my pd8130 and got exactly the same result as Kobe. Everything went right it passed the initial communication test with "OK". File 1 went through, but at file2 I got a "Communication with projector failed" message, and now it no longer successfully passes the communication test. I've used a straight rs232 cable connected to the motherboard's native rs232 port, with no usb adapters and did every step according to the pdf manual. My OS is windows xp SP2.
post #27 of 91 Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
CADOBHuk,

From your report I cannot tell if the projector is still working or not. Have you restarted your computer and tried again? If the first file completed, then the serial port on the projector should still work.

We used XPsp2 during development and testing of the firmware application, so the OS should not be the problem.
post #28 of 91 Old 04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The projector has been rma'ed and is on its way to Planar. It did not work after the update failure, the update program kept saying "connection with projector failed". The projector itself showed a steady green power button (changed to steady red upon power cable reattachment) and did not respond to pressing it or pressing "power on" on the remote.
post #29 of 91 Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

We have updated the instructions to state that the projector should be turned on before updating the SW, as well as ensuring that all the power-saving features on the PC are disabled and that the PC in plugged into AC power. We are not sure if this caused any of the problems noted here as we have never had a projector fail the upgrade and fail to power up afterwards. This upgrade does take a long time to load, so please be patient. If it does fail, don't unplug the projector, just exit the firmware upgrade application, reboot your PC, check the connections and try again.

Brian Carskadon
post #30 of 91 Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh the instruction pdf was saying to leave the projector off IIRC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page