AVS Forum banner

Official epson 6500ub owners thread

570K views 4K replies 510 participants last post by  JMelhado 
#1 ·
This thread is only for owners or members interested in the Epson 6500ub.

The original thread was probably removed because of a rule violation. Please read the post rules at the top.

1. No talk of price under any circumstances.

2. Do not discuss where to buy projector.

3. Do not put down a persons choice or purchase.

You may discuss the merits of this unit and post your experiences and ask

questions, post screenshots, suggest tweaks & settings.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 /forum/post/15363141

Well. Glad to see this thread backup. Anyway, I have a question. How long is the bulb life on the 6500? This is my first projector and I am unsure how long projector bulbs usually last.

Thanks

The bulb is rated at 4000 hrs, regardless of high/low lamp usage, which is the highest i've ever seen (usally 2000hrs). The bulb is also suppose to be cheaper than standard bulbs to. Win/Win!!!!

#6 ·
epson owners or soon to be. I think ill pull the pin on a 6500 or 7500, im also new to projectors.

What screen company, gain and do i need a high contrast (grey) screen? The home is south facing, walk out basement with windows along the room.

I will do window treatments to block most or almost all the light. Give me something to work with.

Oh the projector will be 11 feet away from the wall, thinking of a 92 or 96. Thanks

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser /forum/post/15363196

The bulb is rated at 4000 hrs, regardless of high/low lamp usage, which is the highest i've ever seen (usally 2000hrs). The bulb is also suppose to be cheaper than standard bulbs to. Win/Win!!!!

I'm not convinced that the 4000 hr. rated lamp life applies to the high lamp mode because on page 36 of the owner's manual under the setting for the "Brightness" mode setting it says: "Decrease the brightness for dark rooms or small screens; this also reduces power consumption and fan noise, and helps to prolong the life of the lamp."

Also in the specifications sections (where it lists the 4000 hr. lamp life) of the owner's manual on page 66 under "Lamp" there is a note that reads: "Note: Lamp life results will vary depending on mode selected, environmental conditions, and usage."

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/15363479

I'm not convinced that the 4000 hr. rated lamp life apples to the high lamp mode because on page 36 of the owner's manual under the setting for the "Brightness" mode setting it says: "Decrease the brightness for dark rooms or small screens; this also reduces power consumption and fan noise, and helps to prolong the life of the lamp."

Also in the specifications sections (where it lists the 4000 hr. lamp life) of the owner's manual on page 66 under "Lamp" there is a note that reads: "Note: Lamp life results will vary depending on mode selected, environmental conditions, and usage."

Yeah, I believe in the "missing thread" peteer01 mentioned there were two differences between the TW4000 (Japan equivalent) and 6500UB's manual. IIRC:
  1. TW4000 manual says lamp life unaffected by usage
  2. 6500UB manual says lamp usage counter starts displaying after 10 hours, TW4000 starts right away

Maybe there will be an underground market for super secret long lasting Japanese bulbs. In fact, I think I had some mail in my spam folder that promised almost exactly that, lemme check ...

#11 ·
People on swedish boards have started to get their hands on these projectors today. Seems very promising!

About the lamp. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but in sweden anyways this projector comes with a 3 year/2000h warranty for the lamp. I have never seen this before and maybe it is becuse they have a more stable lamp this time around? Just some speculating on my part here.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/15364747

The teaser review on www.projectorreviews.com indicates that this projector has amazing depth of field (3D). If that's with frame interpolation off then with it on we should be able to jump into the screen and join the action! I think this one will prove it was worth the extra wait.

That guy really needs a handiwipe or wetnap or something to clean up after himself after all that gushing over the 6500UB. Sorry, I just cringe when I read things like "3D" or "wow and pop" because those terms are nebulous, unscientific and often on the subjective side. This guy loved the AE3000 until the new girl (6500UB) batted her eyelashses, then suddenly the AE3000 became "lackluster" (his words). It sure would be nice to have a more objective side-by-side comparison of the two.

#14 ·
So I bought the Epson TW100, then the Mits HC5000 and the difference between the two was worthy. Now I am going to look at the Epson 6500 tonight, will the diffence between the Mits HC5000 and the Epson 6500 be wothy of the purchase? The diffence in lumens from the TW100 and the HC5000 was only 200. With the difference between the Mits HC 5000 and the Epson 6500 being 600 more lumens you would think it should be a major WOW.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp /forum/post/15365111

That guy really needs a handiwipe or wetnap or something to clean up after himself after all that gushing over the 6500UB. Sorry, I just cringe when I read things like "3D" or "wow and pop" because those terms are nebulous, unscientific and often on the subjective side. This guy loved the AE3000 until the new girl (6500UB) batted her eyelashses, then suddenly the AE3000 became "lackluster" (his words). It sure would be nice to have a more objective side-by-side comparison of the two.

to be fair he did preface the piece about the informal nature of his blog. just wait for the official review and try to appreciate his enthusiasm

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp /forum/post/15365111

Art said that he would be using humor and emotion in his blog...it's just a blog for first impressions. He also said that his official review would not include the humor and emotion that his blog did. I'm sure many AE3000 owners are not happy about the comparison he makes but Art is usually honest. He likes Epson for sure but imho he wouldn't put his reputation on the line unless it was an honest impression. btw, he also said that he might be a bit less impressed after a week of usage.

I'm deciding right now if I want to get the DLP w5000 or will the new 6500ub have the "pop" that I NEED to be happy with my purchase. Those are my final two options after four months of research. I like the lamp life of the epson, I like the "replacement" warranty of the epson...however I like the FW upgrades that BenQ has made to the w5000 and it's now a proven product.

I was all set to buy the w5000 but after reading Art's initial reaction I'm leaning towards spending a little more for the Epson. I've trusted his opinion to buy a projector before and it worked out great. I just don't want any buyers remorse attatched to this next toy for the HT.

Can't wait for some first impressions, some actual reviews...and I'm interested in misconvergence issues, dust blobs etc etc associated with LCDs.

#17 ·
Yeah, I didn't mean to savage the guy (Art). I did read his formal review of the AE3000 and I know the blog is more informal. I just get frustrated with phrases like "wow and pop" which don't really mean anything to me. I'm sure Art knows better, but oversaturated colors and execessive contrast might equal "wow and pop" for some people.

I might just have to order both the 6500UB and the AE3000 so I can decide for myself... unless someone knows a place in the Seattle area where I can see them both. The Epson certainly seems to have the edge as far as sharpness and black levels, although I don't think we're talking night/day differences. A longer lasting, lower cost bulb would be great too. FWIW, I'm looking to upgrade from a Panny AX100.

#19 ·

Quote:
just get frustrated with phrases like "wow and pop" which don't really mean anything to me. I'm sure Art knows better, but oversaturated colors and execessive contrast might equal "wow and pop" for some people.

The 2nd paragraph states that the 6500 was calibrated, so I would guess the colors weren't oversaturated.

And with regards to his gushing over the Panasonic AE3000:

From the Panasonic Review:
Quote:
The Epson was the lower cost king of black level performance, and while the Panasonic claims higher contrast, the Epson still has a slight advantage in this department.

I'll give the Panasonic the advantage in terms of "film-like" imagery when watching movies. The Epson has a bit more "pop and wow" feel to the image, which is the trade-off. Thus, a slightly more natural picture from the Panasonic, and one with a bit more dazzle for the Epson. The two are extremely close in terms of sharpness, with an insignificant advantage to the Epson. Epson also wins the warranty battle.

I think that's a pretty objective view of both units...oh, and he's referring to the Epson 1080UB, not the 6500. And I think it describes what he means by "Wow and Pop"

#21 ·
just got mine ordered. Cannot wait to get it! I have everything ready and waiting for it. I was glad to read a good pre-review by Art. I have been reading his reviews as i have been doing my research and if he was impressed then i am sure i will be. this is my first projector and he has seen most of them.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite /forum/post/15365147

So I bought the Epson TW100, then the Mits HC5000 and the difference between the two was worthy. Now I am going to look at the Epson 6500 tonight, will the diffence between the Mits HC5000 and the Epson 6500 be wothy of the purchase? The diffence in lumens from the TW100 and the HC5000 was only 200. With the difference between the Mits HC 5000 and the Epson 6500 being 600 more lumens you would think it should be a major WOW.

Where in Ontario are you seeing the 6500 ?? Any info you could find out on when they will be available (7500 as well) would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.