Ceiling Mounts fo JVC RS 40/50/60 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay guys...good news...tested and RS50 with various mounts...bad news...NONE fit. The Chief RPAU/RPMU (same basic thing from the plate standpoint) miss the unit by a TINY fraction...I cannot even tell you how irritating it is. An installer could probably figure out a mod, but it is far from perfect.

There is a possible solution but I am not going to mention it until I confirm it is valid.
Also, I am working with Chief, but, there is no solution that is going to be quick.

Ugh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM

I will also mention that the Chief universal is the largest span I have ever found, so highly unlikely another universal will work (though I have not tested all of them).
post #33 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post
Okay guys...good news...tested and RS50 with various mounts...bad news...NONE fit. The Chief RPAU/RPMU (same basic thing from the plate standpoint) miss the unit by a TINY fraction...I cannot even tell you how irritating it is. An installer could probably figure out a mod, but it is far from perfect.

There is a possible solution but I am not going to mention it until I confirm it is valid.
Also, I am working with Chief, but, there is no solution that is going to be quick.

Ugh...
ughh. That's good and bad news is right. Any possibility Chief will sell longer legs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

That is one option, as is a custom plate...problem is lead time...takes 3 weeks for production from the time the drawings are approved (which could be a week or more alone).

Again there is a solution I came up with which is easy...but I have to verify with JVC one thing.
post #35 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Good to hear you're working on a solution Jason.
It's even better to hear that you have a 50.
I do hope you get to test the 50 soon!

Geof
post #36 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 AM

Add it to my list!
post #37 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is good news on a possible quick fix! Without drilling I presume...
post #38 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It didn't take Chief long to update their site. Yesterday it showed various universal mounts for the RS40/50/60 but not today.

In an ideal world JVC should send Chief Mfg a preproduction model to get that process started before they're released.

Geof
post #39 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

It didn't take Chief long to update their site. Yesterday it showed various universal mounts for the RS40/50/60 but not today.

In an ideal world JVC should send Chief Mfg a preproduction model to get that process started before they're released.

Yeah that would be best. But, there simply weren't any (only about 4 preproduction models existed until recently....they couldn't give it up, though I bet they also didn't know this was going to be an issue). I offered to overnight my demo unit to be measured, but, it could still be weeks before we'd see a specific plate.

Oh, no drilling for my solution (though I did put on my installers hat and see that could sort of be made to work, I figured 95% of the buyers would not want to mess with that).
post #40 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I got the Premier FTP mount for my RS50, when it arrives. After seeing the new RS design's mount holes I decided to see if the FTP would work with the long arms using a tape measure and it comes up a bit short. I then noticed that using the short arms it comes with as an extension for the long guys would work in theory but I was concerned if it would be ok to do this. I emailed Premier and was told the short guys can be used that way which seems to be true since the mount comes with 8 screws that are used to mount the arms to the mount plate and there is no other use for these so there being 8 says to me they figured some would join the long and short arms together.

Still being cautious, I decided to install this mount this past Saturday and use my current RS2 using the short guys as an extension figuring if it was a bad idea with a failure where the short arms screw into the long arms and the pj fell it was only my RS2. There was no issue doing this and I can't imagine an extra 8 pounds spread out over 4 arms and the slightly extra distance needed per arm to somehow make the connection point of the arms fail.

This is a pretty sweet mount and SUPER easy to adjust and you can adjust in practically 1 degree increments hence the FTP name.

Here is the link to the page Premier FTP

The mount I was using before is the Premier PBC-UMS which is also a universal model and it could easily handle the RS50...I just wanted a low profile mount like the FTP and the better adjustment ability. Here is the PBC-UMS
post #41 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM

The dimensions and mount points for the new JVCs have been available for months. I'm a bit disappointed that Chief would not use those to check that their mount fits (or at least get an idea if there could be an issue).

On the other hand, if basically none of the various universal mounts fit the new JVCs, I think it's a bit of an oversight on JVCs part - or at least inconsiderate.
post #42 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah that would be best. But, there simply weren't any (only about 4 preproduction models existed until recently....they couldn't give it up, though I bet they also didn't know this was going to be an issue). I offered to overnight my demo unit to be measured, but, it could still be weeks before we'd see a specific plate.

Oh, no drilling for my solution (though I did put on my installers hat and see that could sort of be made to work, I figured 95% of the buyers would not want to mess with that).

Hi Everyone,

As Jason mentioned, Chief is aware of the problem. The new custom mount number will be RPA281 and the custom interface number is SLB281 when they are released and ready to ship. They are hoping to have them available before the end of the month.

Chris
post #43 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Some good news, I think. I have the older Chief RPAU mount. It has adjustable "feet" at the end of each leg. If you reverse them like I did in the pic, there is more than enough span for the RS40's mounting holes (11.41" by 13.26"). I measured the mounting holes on the box and you can see it fits fine. The only possible issue is if the mounting screws will fit in the slots. If not, I figured I could always drill or file them bigger. What do you think?
LL
post #44 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Ugh...

Jason,

Might I suggest the Peerless PRG-EXA (or EXB/EXC). This is the mount I've long used with my PRO-FPJ1 (RS-2), and based on the specs, it ought to just about work with the RS40 (and presumably 50/60).

Take a look at following schematic: http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...6-9626-1-1.PDF

The max (point to point) distance that the 'spider' legs can accommodate is 17.63". The diagonal for the RS 40 mounting holes is precisely 17.5". That doesn't leave much in the way of wiggle room, but if we're referring to distances from the centre of one mounting hole to the centre of the other (which schematics typically do), the mount should work.

Put another way, if you're prepared to (ahem) 'expedite' my RS-40 pre-order, I'd be more than happy to get back to everyone asap with whether this configuration works - which should in turn allow others to order mounts well before the multi-week lead time Chief likely requires to get product in the hands of dealers.

I should mention that the PRG-EXA is a nice bit of kit, with great flexibility to fine tune (and then lock -in) pitch roll, yaw, etc.
post #45 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Chris. From those numbers I would gather the first is for the RPA mount with a custom plate for the JVC, the custom plate being the SLB281. and the mount sold together with the SLB 281 plate being called the RPA281. I would also assume the SLB281 plate will work with any RPA or RPM mount out there and fr those who have a RPM or RPA-U, you would use the plate instead of the small universal plate holding the spider arms. Of course with the dedicated plate one would not use the spider arms either.
post #46 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 27
Um... shouldn't this have been something JVC would have thought of when designing these projectors??? I mean if there's hardly any mounts out there new that will accept this projector then JVC and/or another manufacturer should have had something ready before these hit the streets. JVC obviously didn't plan ahead well on this one.
post #47 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

Um... shouldn't this have been something JVC would have thought of when designing these projectors??? I mean if there's hardly any mounts out there new that will accept this projector then JVC and/or another manufacturer should have had something ready before these hit the streets. JVC obviously didn't plan ahead well on this one.

Author deleted comment
post #48 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unfortunately, waiting for stuff happens a lot to early adopters......

Geof
post #49 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I don't know about that. How far should a manufacturer be held responsible for accessories that they don't produce? Would it be fair to hold JVC responsible for the lack of 3D Blu-Ray titles?

However, from the standpoint of selling product, maybe making sure a ceiling mount is available would keep people from cancelling orders or be one of the things that causes a consumer to buy the JVC projector. So, it would certainly be in their best interest but not a responsibility.

Sounds like a little patience will solve this problem anyway. And, of course, there is always duct tape and Velcro if we're in a hurry (kidding).

This is all BS!

I hold Chief responsible for this. Why? . . . Because this is their main source of income and they obviously knew these PJ's were coming out or how else would they have known to post the models on their website (that they have now removed because they know it doesn't work)!? And to let them off the hook by saying they didn't have an actual PJ to test?? What's to test when they could have just as easily called their rep and asked for a .pdf schematic of the mounting points and weight!

What about the one's who already bought the RPMAU kit because they said it was compatible?? I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to pitch a bitch and demand a replacement when available (even if I have no choice but to augment with the method we suggested to Sam; which worked, albeit cockeyed).

Did you come up with a work around Jason or was Chris' post it??

Kevin

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #50 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Some good news, I think. I have the older Chief RPAU mount. It has adjustable "feet" at the end of each leg. If you reverse them like I did in the pic, there is more than enough span for the RS40's mounting holes (11.41" by 13.26"). I measured the mounting holes on the box and you can see it fits fine. The only possible issue is if the mounting screws will fit in the slots. If not, I figured I could always drill or file them bigger. What do you think?

I have the same mount that I've used with 2 different projectors dating back to 2005. Hopefully it will work with the RS40, but I won't know until mine arrives. It would suck to have to wait a few days for a new mount though...talk about torture!

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #51 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

I don't know about that. How far should a manufacturer be held responsible for accessories that they don't produce? Would it be fair to hold JVC responsible for the lack of 3D Blu-Ray titles?

However, from the standpoint of selling product, maybe making sure a ceiling mount is available would keep people from cancelling orders or be one of the things that causes a consumer to buy the JVC projector. So, it would certainly be in their best interest but not a responsibility.

Sounds like a little patience will solve this problem anyway. And, of course, there is always duct tape and Velcro if we're in a hurry (kidding).

I won't need a mount because I shelf mount so it's not a personal thing with me.

However, your 3D comparison is quite different. The projectors don't require a 3D movie to operate. And while a mount isn't required, most people ceiling mount projectors and I'm sure JVC knows that. And for many (myself not included) a ceiling mount IS required. Having said that, it may not be JVCs fault per se because current mounts aren't backwards compatible but at minimum a new mount should be available at the time the projector hits the streets.
post #52 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

...I hold Chief responsible for this. Why? . . . Because this is their main source of income and they obviously knew these PJ's were coming out or how else would they have known to post the models on their website....

But Chief can't have a mount ready if JVC doesn't let them know ahead of time and remember that JVC isn't the only manufacturer out there. The responsibility is on the manufacturer's back to either produce a product or contact other OEMs ahead of time. And yes, I would have to say that their is some kind of stress test they put on the product and they have to ensure a new product doesn't have any productions flaws. The last thing they would want would be a law suit from a 40lb projector falling on someone's head.
post #53 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post
But Chief can't have a mount ready if JVC doesn't let them know ahead of time and remember that JVC isn't the only manufacturer out there. The responsibility is on the manufacturer's back to either produce a product or contact other OEMs ahead of time. And yes, I would have to say that their is some kind of stress test they put on the product and they have to ensure a new product doesn't have any productions flaws. The last thing they would want would be a law suit from a 40lb projector falling on someone's head.
Author deleted comment
post #54 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And mine has already been purchased from what they showed to be supported on their site. All I want is for them to correct thier mistake by allowing a swap when the 281 plate is ready; even if I have to drill the hole to make it work temporarily.

Kevin

post #55 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
No offense Mike but from that pic that mount looks a little "light in the loafers". You sure that thing will support a heavy PJ like the JVC's?? Sam said it's like lifting a dead body!

Kevin

post #56 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Sam said it's like lifting a dead body!
How would "he" know?...hee hee
post #57 of 345 Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Basically I talked to product management for JVC. They actually did work with both Omnimount and Peerless MONTHS ago on this. My contact did call them over the past 2 weeks and has not gotten a response. The plate is not ready from either of those 2 companies...NOT because of JVC, because of them. Chief has also been in discussions and as Chris said, will knock on wood be out later this month. The universals do NOT work (unless modified).

If any customers bought a universal recently for the JVC from AVS (meaning since the JVC's have been on order...not if it is say 3 years old), contact your salesperson and we will arrange to get a fix for you.
post #58 of 345 Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Basically I talked to product management for JVC. They actually did work with both Omnimount and Peerless MONTHS ago on this. My contact did call them over the past 2 weeks and has not gotten a response. The plate is not ready from either of those 2 companies...NOT because of JVC, because of them. Chief has also been in discussions and as Chris said, will knock on wood be out later this month. The universals do NOT work (unless modified).

If any customers bought a universal recently for the JVC from AVS (meaning since the JVC's have been on order...not if it is say 3 years old), contact your salesperson and we will arrange to get a fix for you.

Interesting...So Peerless confirmed that their PRG-EXA will NOT work. That's a bummer; and a bit odd to boot, since if the numbers provided are accurate, an advertised max usable span of 17.63" should be able to accommodate hole spacing of 17.50"

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...6-9626-1-1.PDF
post #59 of 345 Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:

This is all BS!

I hold Chief responsible for this. Why? . . . Because this is their main source of income and they obviously knew these PJ's were coming out or how else would they have known to post the models on their website (that they have now removed because they know it doesn't work)!? And to let them off the hook by saying they didn't have an actual PJ to test?? What's to test when they could have just as easily called their rep and asked for a .pdf schematic of the mounting points and weight!

What about the one's who already bought the RPMAU kit because they said it was compatible?? I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to pitch a bitch and demand a replacement when available (even if I have no choice but to augment with the method we suggested to Sam; which worked, albeit cockeyed).

Did you come up with a work around Jason or was Chris' post it??

Kevin

I'd bet the work around would technically work, but after talking with product management with JVC, we are not going to recommend it nor mention it for liability sake.
post #60 of 345 Old 12-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjabil View Post

Interesting...So Peerless confirmed that their PRG-EXA will NOT work. That's a bummer; and a bit odd to boot, since if the numbers provided are accurate, an advertised max usable span of 17.63" should be able to accommodate hole spacing of 17.50"

http://www.peerlessmounts.com/pcatta...6-9626-1-1.PDF

They are not saying one way or another, other than a vague "there is nothing yet"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u , Jvc Rs50u , Peerless Prg Mount , Chief Speed Connect Rpmau Projector Ceiling Mount With Keyed Locking Rpmau

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page