Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am speechless after watching Avatar on my system. It is absolutely amazing. This projector is everything I had hoped for and better. The picture on my 14' wide hipower is plenty bright. This image to me is way better then the IMAX presentation I saw. There is hardly any flicker and it is so immersive an experience I am truly left speechless. It took a few minutes to adjust to the 3 d as it did in the cinema and then it pulled me in in a way no high end system ever has before. I am not one to gush over Anything, but this projector took cinema to a different level. Certain parts in the night scenes in Pandora looked like a window into another world. I have never experienced that to this degree. I saw Avatar on IMAX and I have seen content on the Meridian 810 4k projector, but this set up with this film is what I would imaging the future to hold, yet it is here now. It is really the combination of everything. This projector being 1080p with 70000:1 contrast, the Oppo doing stretch for native 2.35 using a panamorph lens firing onto hipower with pj at eye level, delivered what I claim to this date is the best cinema experience to date in my experience. Test patterns may yield faults and weaknesses, but nothing touches the aforementioned combined experience.

Silence is overrated!
FS: Seymour Screen Excellence 4K 137” diagonal masking Screen Reduced: $1995.00:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...l#post53049130
FS: Sony VPL VW5000ES. Two Weeks old REDUCED: $ 32,900.00
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...-ve5000es.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

How exactly are you stretching this to 2.35? I also have the 93 and just curious how you are doing this? I have not read about all the zoom modes on the 93 yet so I assume you are using one of those?

Thanks

You hit the zoom button on oppo 93 for vertical stretch. It worked on 2 blurays so far. I didn't manage on 1 disc but was successful on both 3 d discs so far.

Silence is overrated!
FS: Seymour Screen Excellence 4K 137” diagonal masking Screen Reduced: $1995.00:
post #33 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Woah Dude! Did you just say the Oppo93 was able to V-stretch while in 3D mode on the RS50? Please do confirm, as this will be reason enough for me to keep the Oppo93. Also I thought Avatar was in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, so why did you stretch?

As far as the PQ in 3D while watching Avatar, can we all take a moment and rejoice hallelujah please? I know you mentioned using an HP screen but again it's freakishly large at 14ft and you are saying that it looked good still, better than good. Well my low 1.1 gain screen is only 9 ft at 1.78:1 or 11ft at 2.37:1 so less gain but also less real space, so I am hoping for the best from what I have read from everyone's reports so far whether it's a 90" extra low gain 0.95 screen or your 14 ft wide HP screen. My other question is how far is your throw distance?

This is all great news! Please keep watching, observing and reporting back while the rest of us live vicariously through your 3D glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

I am speechless after watching Avatar on my system. It is absolutely amazing. This projector is everything I had hoped for and better. The picture on my 14' wide hipower is plenty bright. This image to me is way better then the IMAX presentation I saw. There is hardly any flicker and it is so immersive an experience I am truly left speechless. It took a few minutes to adjust to the 3 d as it did in the cinema and then it pulled me in in a way no high end system ever has before. I am not one to gush over Anything, but this projector took cinema to a different level. Certain parts in the night scenes in Pandora looked like a window into another world. I have never experienced that to this degree. I saw Avatar on IMAX and I have seen content on the Meridian 810 4k projector, but this set up with this film is what I would imaging the future to hold, yet it is here now. It is really the combination of everything. This projector being 1080p with 70000:1 contrast, the Oppo doing stretch for native 2.35 using a panamorph lens firing onto hipower with pj at eye level, delivered what I claim to this date is the best cinema experience to date in my experience. Test patterns may yield faults and weaknesses, but nothing touches the aforementioned combined experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another point on zoom with java discs, that problem may have arisen due to timing of zoom button press. I think zooming on the menu worked and I left it there. You might not be able to zoom during film. Not sure yet, have to experiment.

Silence is overrated!
post #35 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

How exactly are you stretching this to 2.35? I also have the 93 and just curious how you are doing this? I have not read about all the zoom modes on the 93 yet so I assume you are using one of those?

Thanks

Is this Zoom mode a true Vstretch and crop like on the JVC projectors? in other words, is the Oppo zoom used by Adi the proper way to vstretch?
post #36 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Woah Dude! Did you just say the Oppo93 was able to V-stretch while in 3D mode on the RS50? Please do confirm, as this will be reason enough for me to keep the Oppo93. Also I thought Avatar was in 1.85:1 aspect ratio, so why did you stretch?

As far as the PQ in 3D while watching Avatar, can we all take a moment and rejoice hallelujah please? I know you mentioned using an HP screen but againsts it's freakishly large at 14ft and you are saying that it looked good still, better than good. Well my lo 1.1 gain screen is only 9 ft at 1.78:1 or 11ft at 2.37:1 so less gain but also less real space. My other question is how far is your throw distance?

This is all great news! Please keep watching, observing and reporting back while the rest of us live vicariously through your 3D glasses

I left it stretched from when I loaded cloudy with meatballs. I did not check the AR of Avatar, but only looked for distortion with lens in place and there was none, so it meant the oppo was zooming 3d. it look way to good and I didn't even think for a second to change it. Funny though if it is 1:85:1.
Yes, the 3 d is spectacular. Period. On some bright scenes there was minor flicker, but not distracting at all. This is really good 3 d done right.
I have to check my screen measurements again, because the largest part is 14', so I think it may be the diagonal. It looked better then good. When I loaded cloudy 3d I thought oh crap, this is a gimmick because it was dull. I forgot to press 3d on Jvc. It was not automatic:-( but big deal....
Once I hit 3 d pow....bright, then I zoomed and hit lens in and holy crap, stuff got crazy good. I immediately loaded Avatar and my jaw droppedmon the menu alone. Yes, it is better then good. This is one of those defining milestones. My first viewing of HD was Joe Kane's 720p from hard drive on Vision 2 and I was floored. It looked like a cutout in the wall. Second defining moment was seeing an Ayre DVD player Sdi into Teranex firing from a Vidikron Vision 1 by Chris Stephens. Third was the Meridian mf1 on a scope setup with bluray, which compelled me to go scope. Fourth was Avatar in IMAX. And now this. The topper of them all. Any weak scenes were followed by incredible scenes, so it is clear that this pj is subject to the strength of the content. Fast motion in 3 d is weaker then other shots, but these are real world technological limitations. The motion was still fine, but the effect is obviously diminished.
If anyone's experience doesn't match mine, I'd urge you to make sure you have this combination of screen and lens (or isco III :-) and eyeliner setup and then you'll have a grin on your face that won't go away any time soon.
Throw distance is about 13 or 14'

Silence is overrated!
post #37 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is this Zoom mode a true Vstretch and crop like on the JVC projectors? in other words, is the Oppo zoom used by Adi the proper way to vstretch?

I think short of the Radience, it may be the only way to stretch.

Silence is overrated!
post #38 of 4237 Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dude you got me pumped now even though as I said I have less tuna half the gain you do on my smaller 11ft wide screen which is at a fair 18ft throw distance so less brightness but maybe better on/off. If I can get my picture to look half as bright as yours I will be a happy camper at least until a screen company can finally offer a good polarizi or high gain AT screen.

Quote:

I left it stretched from when I loaded cloudy with meatballs. I did not check the AR of Avatar, but only looked for distortion with lens in place and there was none, so it meant the oppo was zooming 3d. it look way to good and I didn't even think for a second to change it. Funny though if it is 1:85:1.
Yes, the 3 d is spectacular. Period. On some bright scenes there was minor flicker, but not distracting at all. This is really good 3 d done right.
I have to check my screen measurements again, because the largest part is 14', so I think it may be the diagonal. It looked better then good. When I loaded cloudy 3d I thought oh crap, this is a gimmick because it was dull. I forgot to press 3d on Jvc. It was not automatic:-( but big deal....
Once I hit 3 d pow....bright, then I zoomed and hit lens in and holy crap, stuff got crazy good. I immediately loaded Avatar and my jaw droppedmon the menu alone. Yes, it is better then good. This is one of those defining milestones. My first viewing of HD was Joe Kane's 720p from hard drive on Vision 2 and I was floored. It looked like a cutout in the wall. Second defining moment was seeing an Ayre DVD player Sdi into Teranex firing from a Vidikron Vision 1 by Chris Stephens. Third was the Meridian mf1 on a scope setup with bluray, which compelled me to go scope. Fourth was Avatar in IMAX. And now this. The topper of them all. Any weak scenes were followed by incredible scenes, so it is clear that this pj is subject to the strength of the content. Fast motion in 3 d is weaker then other shots, but these are real world technological limitations. The motion was still fine, but the effect is obviously diminished.
If anyone's experience doesn't match mine, I'd urge you to make sure you have this combination of screen and lens (or isco III :-) and eyeliner setup and then you'll have a grin on your face that won't go away any time soon.

post #39 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:

You hit the zoom button on oppo 93 for vertical stretch. It worked on 2 blurays so far. I didn't manage on 1 disc but was successful on both 3 d discs so far.

Avatar is a 1.78 aspect ratio though, so I dont understand how you could verticaly stretch it?

Quote:

I still dont understand how you are getting Avatar to fill out your 2.35 screen........the film is 1.78:1 so you cant stretch it vertically. The only thing I think you could be doing is simply sliding your lens in place and doing a horizontal stretch..........is this what you are doing?

Awesome to hear the report though! VERY EXCITING! All these High Power reports have me on the verge of ordering one!
post #40 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Toe

Quote:

He cant be vertically stretching Avatar as it is a 1.78 film..........not exactly sure what he is doing, but he is not doing a vertical stretch.
post #41 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 5384 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
He can do a vertical stretch and lose a lot of the picture. There will be no distortion in what remains (as he has stretched the middle of the picture vertically and the lens has stretched it horizontally), but instead of losing the top and bottom black bars, he has lost the top and bottom of the 1.78 picture in the same proportion. Exactly like the amount of information that you lose on the 1.78 menus when you put the lens in too early on a 2.35 movie.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
post #42 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

He can do a vertical stretch and lose a lot of the picture.

Is that the deal here? And then he is just sliding the lens in place? He must be loosing a LOT of the picture info if so.
post #43 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

He can do a vertical stretch and lose a lot of the picture. There will be no distortion in what remains (as he has stretched the middle of the picture vertically and the lens has stretched it horizontally), but instead of losing the top and bottom black bars, he has lost the top and bottom of the 1.78 picture in the same proportion. Exactly like the amount of information that you lose on the 1.78 menus when you put the lens in too early on a 2.35 movie.

Correct, that would be what the stretch is doing. Normally, when stretching a non 2.35 disc, the menu would be cut off. When i loaded this disc, the menus were perfect, so I didn't go into the Oppo 93 and undo the stretch. It looked too good, albeit missing some peripheral image. Many people stretch non 2.35 stuff in favor of the scope effect.

Silence is overrated!
post #44 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
remember this movie was in 2.35 at the theater. so when you vertically stretch it you are cropping the image just about the same as when in the theater. James Cameron films full frame then masks it down to 2.35 or shows it full frame 1.78.
post #45 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelMN View Post

remember this movie was in 2.35 at the theater. so when you vertically stretch it you are cropping the image just about the same as when in the theater. James Cameron films full frame then masks it down to 2.35 or shows it full frame 1.78.

In fact, some directors of photography really tell the story with aspect ratio and stretching it feels wrong to the point that you have to undo scope, but with Avatar, it really worked well cropping the peripheral images. Looked fantastic in scope.

Silence is overrated!
post #46 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:

Perhaps it would be more precise to say that Avatar was shown in 2.35 AR in some theaters and in native 1.78 (or perhaps 1.85) in many other theaters. That was possible because Cameron and the cinematographer (and CGI creators) framed each scene so that they could be shown in either format without loss of essential visual information considered necessary to preserve the integrity of the film.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #47 of 4237 Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked: 5545
Quote:

I felt the same way when I saw Avatar 3D on my 142" HP screen in the native 16:9 resolution. For me, the brightness is possibly the most important factor. The Acer 3D DLP is 700 lumens in 3D mode, Petri measured the pre-production X7 @ 600 lumens, I don't expect that changed with the final models. Then through the glasses, there is a significant amount of light lost. The major benefit of the HP is getting nearly 3 times the light with with the projector located on-axis. Some have measured the HP as high as 3.1 gain.

I recently had a number of guests over to watch avatar 3D and the unanimous comment was 'it was so much brighter here than in the Imax theater'. I saw details I completely missed because I was struggling to get my eyes adjusted to the low light. I don't agree when some say 'you're eyes will get used it'. I want it to be bright as possible.

From the comments of others with the HP and the right projector location, it seems 3D this round is screaming for the Dalite, especially on larger screens.
post #48 of 4237 Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Was the rs50 supposed to automatically switch to 3d setting?

Silence is overrated!
post #49 of 4237 Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:

Was the rs50 supposed to automatically switch to 3d setting?

I would think it should if you feed it a 3D blu-ray. Is it not? That's how most 3D device work I believe. My Samsung plasma is like that. If you feed it SbS or TnB 3D then no.
post #50 of 4237 Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I would think it should if you feed it a 3D blu-ray. Is it not? That's how most 3D device work I believe. My Samsung plasma is like that. If you feed it SbS or TnB 3D then no.

Sorry, I meant the 3 D preset for light boost. That did not kick in. I had to manually select it. I also notice there is nowhere I could see to change the bulb brightness if you are in a preset. That might only be available in user modes. Now there is a load click when switching modes and lamp settings change.

Silence is overrated!
post #51 of 4237 Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Sorry, I meant the 3 D preset for light boost. That did not kick in. I had to manually select it. I also notice there is nowhere I could see to change the bulb brightness if you are in a preset. That might only be available in user modes. Now there is a load click when switching modes and lamp settings change.

You can change the bulb brightness. It is in the advanced menu for each preset.

The loud click will only happen on Film and Cinema initially. These use the special colour filter infront of the lamp. It does not correspond with changing the bulb brightness. There is no click just changing the bulb power.

When watching frame packed 3D such as blu-ray, the lamp will automatically go to high power, but it will not switch to the 3D preset automatically. This may have been intentional in case you want to make your own custom preset for 3D use.
post #52 of 4237 Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Has anyone checked to see if AVRs that are 3D capable and have a vstretch mode will do the stretch with 3D material? The Onkyos in their Source Set-up>Picture Adjust>Wide Mode have vstretch labled "Full," which works great for use with anamorphic CIH for 2D. Will it still do it for 3D? I am searching the manual for the new AVC, the PR-SC5508, and there is no mention of this function not being available for 3D.

Anybody with a 3D Onkyo AVR or AVC who can check it out?

Update: I may have thought of a possible answer to my own question. If the 3D capable AVR/AVC sends 3D content in a pass mode, bypassing the vp, then the Full/Vstretch mode would not be available. I've posted the question over in the 5508 thread to see if there is anyone there who may know.
post #53 of 4237 Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Has anyone checked to see if AVRs that are 3D capable and have a vstretch mode will do the stretch with 3D material? The Onkyos in their Source Set-up>Picture Adjust>Wide Mode have vstretch labled "Full," which works great for use with anamorphic CIH for 2D. Will it still do it for 3D? I am searching the manual for the new AVC, the PR-SC5508, and there is no mention of this function not being available for 3D.

Anybody with a 3D Onkyo AVR or AVC who can check it out?

Update: I may have thought of a possible answer to my own question. If the 3D capable AVR/AVC sends 3D content in a pass mode, bypassing the vp, then the Full/Vstretch mode would not be available. I've posted the question over in the 5508 thread to see if there is anyone there who may know.

Please let me know. it would be nice to know if my Marantz AV7005 has this feature too. In case the oppo 93 has java issues.

Silence is overrated!
post #54 of 4237 Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:

Please let me know. it would be nice to know if my Marantz AV7005 has this feature too. In case the oppo 93 has java issues.

Research your menus and the manual to see if the Marantz has any scaling, specifically vstretch. You've got the projectors, so you're a candidate to test it for us with that product.
post #55 of 4237 Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 10
Is there any difference between the RS50 and the X7? Would dealers offer the X7 at a lesser price?
post #56 of 4237 Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is the same projector just different distribution. The cosmetics are slightly different. RS has gold accents and the x series dark gray.
post #57 of 4237 Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It is the same projector just different distribution. The cosmetics are slightly different. RS has gold accents and the x series dark gray.
Which one would everyone out there want to get?
post #58 of 4237 Old 12-10-2010, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Adidadi: Thank you for your observations so far. I am going to be an active member of this thread. My RS50 shipped today and will be here Monday. This will be the longest weekend in history LOL. I am going from an Epson 2006 model 1080 (not even UB) to this, and I can't wait to see the picture on my Elite 150" diag. 1.1 gain matte white screen. And what you say about 3D is incredible, now I am needing a valium LOL.

Are you using the JVC glasses? I ordered 4 pair, but I may try the one of the Xpand 103's just for fun, I can always sell it off. I am very excited about this! It's going to be like my entire movie collection is brand new again (especially going from the PS3 to the Oppo 93, which is already set up and ready)!

This was a heck of a costly investment, but I think it's going to be worth every cent!

So fair I have picked up these 3D movies:

Shrek 1-4
Alice in Wonderland
Samsung Imax 3D triple feature
Sony Demo disc 3D
Panasonic Demo disc 3D
Disney Demo Disc 3D
Open Season
Grand Canyon Adventure
The Last Airbender
Christmas Carol
Polar Express
Monster House
Open Season
Dinosaurs Alive
My Bloody Valentine
Monsters vs Aliens
Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs

on order:

Legend of the Guardians...Owls....(which by the way I saw in theaters and is an awesome movie with great 3D!)
Despicable Me
Piranha 3D
Resident Evil
Saw 3D
Coraline

I do not have DirecTV but have Dish and they are promising much more 3D and a dedicated 3D channel soon.
post #59 of 4237 Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 AM

How did you get Avatar 3D Blu-Ray? I thought it was only available when you bought a Panasonic 3DTV?

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!"
post #60 of 4237 Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro View Post
How did you get Avatar 3D Blu-Ray? I thought it was only available when you bought a Panasonic 3DTV?
No, you can buy the Panasonic 3D starter kit which has Avatar and 2 pairs of Panasonic 3D glasses. I have a friend who wanted the 2 glasses, so he paid for them leaving the cost of Avatar at 65.00 for me (I got a hundred dollars off of the starter kit through a friend who manages a retail store that carried it).

Amazon is selling them at $399. Ebay is useless as everyone wants over 200.00 for the movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
ballast , Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Rs50u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page