Any "High Lumen" RS50s Report Here - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Htnut2000 back on May 10 reported 753 calibrated peak lumens at 30 hours and we verified the methodology several different ways:

Htnut2000

Quote:

Here are all the numbers you might need to calculate or check it your way:

Screen : 110 inch diagonal 16:9 Area:35.9 sq ft
21 Fc = 226 Lux

LUMENS 753

The best news is that after 30 hours the lamp has not lost any brightness.

The calibration however is drifting all over the place"

It would be great to hear how many hours now on the lamp and what it is now reading.

And recently.....eyes&ears again on 6/27 reported higher-than-rest-of-us lumens on his RS50 with only 30 hours yet on his lamp:

"Ran the numbers again last night. Lamp is now @ 30 hours. Throw distance is 16'.

In general, I don't think they have significantly changed from the readings at ~12 hours. The throw distance and zoom is slightly different now in the permanently mounted position but I was sure to use the same image size for the measurements. However, the ~30% drop in output at THX is still dissapointing

User 1
D65
Color OFF
Normal lamp: 188 lux, 777 lumens
HI lamp: 293 lux, 1211 lumens

THX
Normal lamp: 133 lux, 555 lumens
HI Lamp: 210 lux, 868 lumens

I'll check again at 50-75 hours.

My previous measurements are here:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20375348

Mark"

I don't know about any other RS50 owners but this just fascinates the hell out of me. Have there been any other reports anywhere of being in calibrated mode and over even 700 peak lumens? Aren't we all at like around 600 or less? My two lamps when new were like 560. Within front 1/3 of widest lens throw.

Anyone else with these maybe-finally-closer-to-spec lamps? I don't even want to suppose there is anything different with their projectors. Has to be the lamps, right? With all the 40 sales and lamps being replaced, hopefully new reports will start popping up. If you get one please let us know in this thread so it doesn't get buried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

bump
Any one else yet besides just Htnut2000 and eyes&ears have a bright 50 or 60 projector lamp with these kinds of lumens? Sure would be great to hear from them again how that brightness is holding up after how many hours.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hopefully once people put some more hours on their 7-series lamps we might get some more reports here. As long as the 5-series lamp is the primary lamp in the field, this thread will probably remain quite short.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First though.....YO!!.....Htnut2000 and eyes&ears....where are you guys? Throw us a bone here, all the 50 and 60 owners that are hanging in there because we love the picture on these machines..... How many hours do you have now and what please are your current lumens readings? Where did you guys go?

My thought. JVC if like always in the past will keep the same mold and light engine path for 2012. At least 2 years, right? OK 2011 was a freaking disaster with the lamps. Among a myriad of other issues. You / we know they absolutely have to fix the lamps for new models.

Is it a bright ray of hope for those of us with 50s and 60s that these new lamps from whoever manufactures them should be a considerable improvement over the lousy lamps from 2011, including brightness.....and should fit right into the 50s and 60s?
post #5 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^^ +1

-Roger
post #6 of 12 Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

First though.....YO!!.....Htnut2000 and eyes&ears....where are you guys? Throw us a bone here, all the 50 and 60 owners that are hanging in there because we love the picture on these machines..... How many hours do you have now and what please are your current lumens readings? Where did you guys go?

My thought. JVC if like always in the past will keep the same mold and light engine path for 2012. At least 2 years, right? OK 2011 was a freaking disaster with the lamps. Among a myriad of other issues. You / we know they absolutely have to fix the lamps for new models.

Is it a bright ray of hope for those of us with 50s and 60s that these new lamps from whoever manufactures them should be a considerable improvement over the lousy lamps from 2011, including brightness.....and should fit right into the 50s and 60s?

I think so too except for the new Pro Division exclusives......one a 4k machine..then the other has to be 1080...will they both be 2.35:1, the 1080 being 2538 x 1080?....sorry Mark H...it's fun speculating!!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Hi RonF,
I just saw this thread. Still been following the forum.
Unfortuantely, been busy elswhere (outside my theater) but coming up on 100 hours so will get you all another data point and post it then.

Mark
post #8 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome! Thanks Mark.....much appreciated. When you do can you please remind how many feet back from how wide of a screen & is it 16x9?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I could use some feedback here as well from RS60/X9 owners or those with like models. Mainly, have to replace a projector and was ready to buy a JVC RS60/X9 until I read about the many issues with CMS and brightness.

My dealer says it should be still OK on a Stewart StudioTek 130 screen that is 107 wide or 123 inches diagonal. Is that true and what are others seeing here? I am concerned it won't be bright enough for the screen but have seen a few reviews that say 110 inches diagonal is not a problem. However, mine is another 13 inches greater so I am hoping but would like to know from actual owners.

I may end up getting a Lumagen video scalier and use it's CMS, but for those running their JVC as is, can you comment on the CMS and how good it is or any issues?

The brightness I have read seems pretty good, but others say their bulbs or whatever are a bit better than others. Unconfirmed, but just things I have read. I just want to make sure before I sink that kind of money into another projector that it will handle brightness for my screen size very well and be good with DirecTV sports programming, not just DVD movies.

My room is 13X23.7X9 and the projector is at about 18-19 foot back of room on ceiling from screen.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Jeff, that is nice sized screen without much gain. It might be ok for the first 100 hours, but overall it will depend on your threshold for image brightness (or lackthereof). My RS50 @ 16' throw can only put out 550 lumens with a brand new lamp. After a few hundres hours, it's down to 350 lumens. I have a high power screen so it's not too bad, but this would be way to dim for me with a low gains screen.

JVC has not and is not going to fix the CMS in the RS50/RS60. If you read through the dedicate thread, it's quite difficult to tune it and there are some thing that just don't work correctly like gamma adjustments. In my opinion, you would be much better served buying an RS40 (I owned one before 'upgrading' to my RS50) since it is brighter and combined with a lumagen, will provide an IQ that is likely to exceed the RS50/RS60.

Don't get caught up in the 100k contrast #'s, this is largely unfounded by many of the reputable reviewers who post on AVS.

Also be aware that JVC has had a large # of issues with pre-mature dimming lamps for all 3 of the 2011 models. This has caused some folks to return theirs to the dealer, or hope that JVC sends them replacements (which they have been doing).

With Cedia next month and new models on the way from JVC and Sony, it might be worth waiting to see what the 2.0 products bring in the way of performance vs. the advertised specs.

So, you think this would be something of concern for me given my screen size and material with a 1:3 gain? Since you have a much higher gain, mine wouldn't be close to yours I do not believe. That is why I was concerned about doing this. I do have good control of room light obviously given my screen type. But the issue with yours being just 350 lumens really concerns me given my setup.

I would like to wait and see what they offer, but I have nothing right now since my older projector no longer works. It may be best to wait, but I am not sure I can for that long. Do you think given what you found with yours I should consider something else instead? Not trying to turn this into an off-topic discussion, just need some advice and help since this JVC issues people have is of concern. I would rather put a little more with it and get something else that does not have CMS issues and better light output.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

So, you think this would be something of concern for me given my screen size and material with a 1:3 gain? Since you have a much higher gain, mine wouldn't be close to yours I do not believe. That is why I was concerned about doing this. I do have good control of room light obviously given my screen type. But the issue with yours being just 350 lumens really concerns me given my setup.

I would like to wait and see what they offer, but I have nothing right now since my older projector no longer works. It may be best to wait, but I am not sure I can for that long. Do you think given what you found with yours I should consider something else instead? Not trying to turn this into an off-topic discussion, just need some advice and help since this JVC issues people have is of concern. I would rather put a little more with it and get something else that does not have CMS issues and better light output.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think the "consensus" this year (for the JVC line) is the RS40 offers a terrific bang for the buck. It has excellent grayscale and gamma controls and is somewhat brighter than it's higher price siblings. It has a fairly accurate (and useful) Rec709 colorspace so you may not need a CMS to correct colors. If you want to augment the RS40, the Radiance Mini3D is a terrific video processor/CMS/Test pattern generator and that, along with an RS40, is still somewhat less costly than an RS50. Call one of the AVS sales folks - they can walk you thru the options and advise you accordingly. You won't be disappointed (or let down) by purchasing thru AVS.

Geof
post #12 of 12 Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what it's worth ...
I know this is a stale thread but thought I would update my latest lumen report. As you see I don't rack these up as fast as most here!

03-16-12

60H X 107W X 123D (44.5 sq. ft.)
Throw 16’
D65
100% IRE White
Aperature 0

Lamp @ 130 Hours

USER 1, Color OFF, Normal lamp = 178 Lux
736 lumens

USER 1, Color OFF, High lamp = 272 Lux
1125 lumens

THX Normal lamp = 138 Lux