Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #3541 of 3555 Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I didn't get any feedback on fans, and my son's team has the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona this weekend, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd still love to hear if HW30ES owners feel air coming out of both sides instead of primarily the control panel side as seems to be the case on mine.

Pimp my Projector - Episode 1 - "Baby got fans" (Looks a bit like the Millennium Falcon (in black))

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2512292  
Brian Hampton and pacman9270 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3555 Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm starting to feel like this Far Side cartoon

is a metaphor for this thread, but I'll continue

with "HW30ES chat" regardless ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Far Side - Last of the Mohicans.png
Views:	94
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	2513340  
post #3543 of 3555 Old 01-19-2019, 10:24 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Running with both external exhaust fans, as shown in post #3542 , the air coming out of the "control panel" side of the projector feels slightly warm (slightly less warm than it was before the external fan), and the air coming out of the opposite side external fan is cool (as if it wasn't warmed up at all).

It would really be helpful to know what people feel in terms of both air flow and temperature out of both sides of the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 3555 Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I didn't get any feedback on fans, and my son's team has the iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona this weekend, so desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd still love to hear if HW30ES owners feel air coming out of both sides instead of primarily the control panel side as seems to be the case on mine.

Pimp my Projector - Episode 1 - "Baby got fans" (Looks a bit like the Millennium Falcon (in black))

Sorry, my HW30 is at my lake house and I probably won't be there for until sometime in February. If nobody has answered your question, I'll check when I go.
pjp likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #3545 of 3555 Old 01-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Running with both external exhaust fans, as shown in post #3542 , the air coming out of the "control panel" side of the projector feels slightly warm (slightly less warm than it was before the external fan), and the air coming out of the opposite side external fan is cool (as if it wasn't warmed up at all).

It would really be helpful to know what people feel in terms of both air flow and temperature out of both sides of the projector.

I’m watching football on mine right now. The fan on the side with the buttons is blowing warm air. The fan on the opposite side is blowing warm air but it is barely noticeable. I had to put my face up to it to hear the fan/feel the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pjp likes this.

My Theater build
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21268949
xboxone gamertag: MASTERpTWINKIE
PS3: zaczimer
post #3546 of 3555 Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 View Post
I’m watching football on mine right now. The fan on the side with the buttons is blowing warm air. The fan on the opposite side is blowing warm air but it is barely noticeable. I had to put my face up to it to hear the fan/feel the air.
Thanks very much for the feedback, this is super helpful. That is pretty much what I feel on mine. I used a thin strip of paper to check the air output on the opposite side and there is some movement, but it's barely perceptible. This makes me think my projector is operating normally, which I suspected due to lack of error codes and only slightly warm air coming out the control side. I'm not sure why it sometimes shut down -- those shutdowns are fairly rare but they are catastrophic for racing.

He made it through the 24 Hours of Daytona without incident (his team won), so it's possible the external fans help. The fans are very quiet and this is a mission critical projector, so I will probably leave the fans permanently attached to minimize any chance of shutdown. I had to add an external fan to his computer at around the 12 hour mark in the race because it was overheating, so these racing events are pretty tough on all equipment.

Thanks again for the feedback.
post #3547 of 3555 Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi, what's the latest on these projectors. Looking at getting a used on and would like to know if they are still a good value or risky?
post #3548 of 3555 Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
Hi, what's the latest on these projectors. Looking at getting a used on and would like to know if they are still a good value or risky?
I've been very happy with mine. I have a 4K projector at my "Home" Home Theater but have this at my Lake House Home Theater. Have had it for about 7 years and I can't imagine a better 1080p projector. Obviously, not capable of 4K but a great unit for 1080p Movies (2D and 3D), Sports, or just watching TV. It does a great job with motion so it's perfect for auto racing, football, basketball and the like.
pjp likes this.

Regards, Steve
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #3549 of 3555 Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agree with SLYDoggie -- mine has been awesome. Great picture, very bright even on low lamp mode, no motion blur, quiet, very long bulb life (around 4k hours on OEM bulbs when lamp is set to low, fan set high). I can't think of anything negative about it.
post #3550 of 3555 Old 01-27-2019, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks for the answers! So they are holding up and no problems in terms of contrast degradation and black levels?
post #3551 of 3555 Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answers! So they are holding up and no problems in terms of contrast degradation and black levels?

I have over 3,000 hours on my bulb and I can't tell any difference. I'm sure that, if I installed a new bulb it would be brighter but there really isn't noticeable degradation that I can tell

Regards, Steve
post #3552 of 3555 Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

I was reorganizing all my equipment over the weekend and saw my notes for the original lamp -- it had 4604 hours on it and only had a very slightly perceptible flicker. The projector was always run with lamp low (still plenty bright for me), fan high (still very quiet). I replaced that with one of those "OEM bulb with aftermarket housing" bulbs, and that aftermarket bulb only lasted a little over a thousand hours before it had obvious flickering. I replaced the aftermarket bulb with Sony OEM from AV Science and I expect another 4500+ hours.

The HW30ES is my 3rd or 4th Sony Projector, can't remember, but the bulbs on the prior models were only good for around 3000 hours.
post #3553 of 3555 Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Need a new lamp on mine - anyone know a good place to get one? Preferrable a original phillips lamp, from someone you may trust is actually selling a original lamp and not just say they do.
In these black time - a good offer wood not hurt either...
Must ship international (aka to Norway)
post #3554 of 3555 Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond-Eirik View Post
Hi

Need a new lamp on mine - anyone know a good place to get one? Preferrable a original phillips lamp, from someone you may trust is actually selling a original lamp and not just say they do.
In these black time - a good offer wood not hurt either...
Must ship international (aka to Norway)
Are you replacing on hours, flickering, or dimness? If flickering, and you normally run lamp on "low", try switching "high" for a while. My first OEM lamp when more than 4000 hours, my second OEM lamp started flicking a little bit (always on low) before it was due on hours, and running the lamp on "high" for a few days fixed it -- now back to low with no flickering. That seems to be a "thing" with Sony projectors/bulbs (more pronounced on other models).

If you need a bulb, I think the safest place to buy is here on AV Science (https://shop.avscience.com/Bulbs-Lamps_c_25.html). That's where I got mine and I am very happy. That way you know you will get a Sony OEM lamp. Ebay and Amazon are not safe bets at all for getting Sony OEM, even when they are advertised as such. I did try an eBay bulb that was advertised as "original bulb" in aftermarket housing and it lasted barely over 1000 hours (so I don't think those are original bulbs despite claims -- the seller seemed unsurprised that it failed so quickly and offered 15% off buying another (no thanks)).
post #3555 of 3555 Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No flickering, just bery dark picture.
And the current pulp is just gone, I can see deformation inside it.
Not sure how long it has lasted. But I think it either was a quite bad lamp (lasted a short time) or I messed up and have used the same lamp twice (I use to save the lamp I remove to have as backup, and I also use to buy a new lamp in good time before the old is burned out - and it seems I have not been to good labeling stuff.
I do not recall my original lamp lasting 4000 hrs (lot og use on my projector)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page