Sony VPL-vw1000 - Page 482 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1404Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14431 of 14444 Old 05-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
There is no bottleneck on input into the Radiance Pro, then it can do its magic for the processing for the best possible image outputted to the 1100ES. It is explained further in the recent posts on the Lumagen Pro thread.
I am also torn on between outlaying some extra doe for a lumagen or not buying a lumagen and going for broke and going for an nx9...….not to replace my 1000es......but to do a comparison in the same way I have with my rs600(with the 1000es).


Despite being a tremendous/wonderful projector in it's own right the rs600 has come off second best to my 1000es(especially when combined with an 1.25 ISCO A-lens).

The nx9 would be a different proposition......but I think an undegraded/calibrated 1000/1100es + a lumagen might match or even outclass the nx9(although probably not by much)

Not bad for a projector that came out 8 years ago.
turls and Archibald1 like this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14432 of 14444 Old 05-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I think the NX9 maybe a good one to see. If I can get my hands on one I will definitely post how it does vs. the 1100/1000. I think honestly they are going to be mor similar than different. I was impressed with the NX5 but I would still consider the image a bit flat vs. the 1100/1000 es.





Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
I am also torn on between outlaying some extra doe for a lumagen or not buying a lumagen and going for broke and going for an nx9...….not to replace my 1000es......but to do a comparison in the same way I have with my rs600(with the 1000es).


Despite being a tremendous/wonderful projector in it's own right the rs600 has come off second best to my 1000es(especially when combined with an 1.25 ISCO A-lens).

The nx9 would be a different proposition......but I think an undegraded/calibrated 1000/1100es + a lumagen might match or even outclass the nx9(although probably not by much)

Not bad for a projector that came out 8 years ago.
TheSony4KRises likes this.
12GAGE is offline  
post #14433 of 14444 Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
[QUOTE=12GAGE;58095546]I think the NX9 maybe a good one to see. If I can get my hands on one I will definitely post how it does vs. the 1100/1000. I think honestly they are going to be mor similar than different. I was impressed with the NX5 but I would still consider the image a bit flat vs. the 1100/1000 es.[/QUOTED]

That is interesting.

Where I am sure the NX9(or any of the JVC NX or RS series for that matter...….and possibly the latter Sony models like the 760,995 and 695 ) would trump the 1000/1100es(or at least my own model) would be with the lack of posterization.
Posterization is something that crops up occasionally but once you know where to look for it you cannot miss it(and in my case ….ignore it).

But with all other factors taken into consideration(and assuming no panel degradation), in rec 709 the 1000/1100 is easily the equal or quite frankly better than anything else out there.

Things get more unpredictable with UHDs.
But the Sony X800(which was not available when a lot owners dumped their 1000/1100es's back in 2016) does a fabulous job of tone mapping...….although I find I do have to make slight adjustments with the HDR-SDR luminance slider(on the X800) and the my 1000es's brightness control from title to title......an area where the NX9's automatic tone mapping capabilities will have the advantage.

But in terms of picture quality you are right.....there will be more similarities than differences.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14434 of 14444 Old 06-14-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Hi.
Does anyone know if the 1000/1100 had better contrast than any Sony projector since, because it had a centrally mounted light source? (No corners to turn before the panels/polarisers etc).

Why did Sony not just use the chassis of the 1100 (with some vents at the front maybe) for the new laser designs (or at least use the same optimal layout) if that is the case?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #14435 of 14444 Old 06-14-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Not 100% sure, but when the unit was coming out I believe that was part of the discussion behind the unit's overall size and the length/orientation of the light path. There may be an article somewhere about it. It was surprising that the chassis only housed that one model ...




*On a side note, I think that the light path also was the reason why the 1000/1100 are a bit brightness challenged by today's standards.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
Does anyone know if the 1000/1100 had better contrast than any Sony projector since, because it had a centrally mounted light source? (No corners to turn before the panels/polarisers etc).

Why did Sony not just use the chassis of the 1100 (with some vents at the front maybe) for the new laser designs (or at least use the same optimal layout) if that is the case?

Last edited by 12GAGE; 06-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.
12GAGE is offline  
post #14436 of 14444 Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi.
Does anyone know if the 1000/1100 had better contrast than any Sony projector since, because it had a centrally mounted light source? (No corners to turn before the panels/polarisers etc).

Why did Sony not just use the chassis of the 1100 (with some vents at the front maybe) for the new laser designs (or at least use the same optimal layout) if that is the case?
I believe so.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14437 of 14444 Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,046
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Not 100% sure, but when the unit was coming out I believe that was part of the discussion behind the unit's overall size and the length/orientation of the light path. There may be an article somewhere about it. It was surprising that the chassis only housed that one model ...




*On a side note, I think that the light path also was the reason why the 1000/1100 are a bit brightness challenged by today's standards.
Maybe that is why the contrast was better? High contrast and high brightness are very hard to pull off concurrently.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 06-14-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #14438 of 14444 Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
12GAGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I believe so. I like to say " there is no such thing as a free lunch ". At the time of introduction, it was brighter and had better contrast than almost anything out. In the following designs, I think Sony focused a bit more on providing a brighter image. I think that was the momentum of the industry at the time. The newer Sony's still have good contrast, but I think the definitely prioritized brightness over contrast. (Shorter optical paths, no color filter etc.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Maybe that is why the contrast was better? High contrast and high brightness are very hard to pull off.
Archibald1 likes this.
12GAGE is offline  
post #14439 of 14444 Old 06-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
I believe so. I like to say " there is no such thing as a free lunch ". At the time of introduction, it was brighter and had better contrast than almost anything out. In the following designs, I think Sony focused a bit more on providing a brighter image. I think that was the momentum of the industry at the time. The newer Sony's still have good contrast, but I think the definitely prioritized brightness over contrast. (Shorter optical paths, no color filter etc.)


Well using my rs600 as a benchmark my 1000es can certainly get close or equal to the rs600 on any intermixed scene (say a grey spaceship superimposed on a starfield).


On a scene with a complete starfield or where there are white credits on a black background(at the end of a movie) then the rs600 wins the day.

But the 1000es is more than respectable(relative to the rs600) even on those clips.

Of course the superior optics of the 1000es allow it to walk clear of the rs600 in all other regards(except when posterization surfaces---ugggh!

So if my 1000es can hold it's own against an rs600(which along with the 620 and 640)many consider to be the benchmark for front projection contrast performance) then I think it's fair to say that Sony started pretty well in the contrast stakes way back in 2011/12(until SXRD degradation kicked in).


If they have maintained the contrast performance (or even lost some) with their latter models then I am assuming(maybe incorrectly) that Sony are still closer to JVC in the contrast battle than any other brand out there(although I have not seen Epson/BenQ Sim 2 ect)
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 06-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #14440 of 14444 Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Bump

Looks at the size of that ARC-F lens




https://www.homecinema-fr.com/compte...ur-laser-4k/5/
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #14441 of 14444 Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Bump

Looks at the size of that ARC-F lens




https://www.homecinema-fr.com/compte...ur-laser-4k/5/
Those SIMULATED images in the screen shots from the link sure are mind blowing !


One one expect the ARC lens to be better then the ones in the NX5/7, shouldn't they be comparing to the NX9/RS3000 ?


And then it says in the shot above "JVC is continually using the E-shift lens for the NX5/NX7"
I've read that new lenses were developed for the native 4K JVC's...


I haven't read the link yet, but just from what I've learned so far about it, it's giving out misinformation.

Last edited by JeffR1; 07-06-2019 at 10:03 AM.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #14442 of 14444 Old 07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Those SIMULATED images in the screen shots from the link sure are mind blowing !


One one expect the ARC lens to be better then the ones in the NX5/7, shouldn't they be comparing to the NX9/RS3000 ?


And then it says in the shot above "JVC is continually using the E-shift lens for the NX5/NX7"
I've read that new lenses were developed for the native 4K JVC's...


I haven't read the link yet, but just from what I've learned so far about it, it's giving out misinformation.
But then you would have:
Sony vs JVC
91mm vs 100mm
80% vertical/31% horizontal vs 100% vertical/43% horizontal lens shift
18 elements/15 groups with 6 elements with low dispersion glass vs 18 elements/16 groups with 5 elements with low dispersion glass

Much more even match up.
DavidHir and Archibald1 like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #14443 of 14444 Old 07-06-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,265
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
As I understand it, the NX5/7 lens is not quite the exact same eshift lens, but one with a higher quality threshold? Which is not to say the all glass eshift lens was poor to begin with as it was generally capable of resolving 4K.
DavidHir is offline  
post #14444 of 14444 Old 07-06-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,520
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9343
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
As I understand it, the NX5/7 lens is not quite the exact same eshift lens, but one with a higher quality threshold? Which is not to say the all glass eshift lens was poor to begin with as it was generally capable of resolving 4K.
As evidenced by how well the RS1000 and RS2000 display 4k test patterns compared to the Sony projectors.
Mike Garrett is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off