Projector Lamps for JVC X3/RS40/X7/RS50/X9/RS60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 62
A recent ISF treatment by Mr. UMR revealed a whopping 14fL - 369 calibrated lumens on my 140 hour 5 month old X3. While JVC's next gen is tempting, I'm very happy with PQ and just did the calibration so not about to upgrade.

I do find myself switching to High Lamp every so often, and judging by experience of others I feel it's time to get a new lamp - at least to have it on hand and ready to go. So I've done some internet browsing an come up with really very little.

1. is there a JVC projector lamp shortage?

2. one company offers just the bulb for $200+ while others offer the bulb+ housing for $400+ Have people been purchasing just the bulb?

3. Can I get a few successful on-line sources for the lamp? I'm just not having much luck. Seems like a rare commodity.

4. Does the newer gen JVC's really have the EXACT SAME LAMP - and if so should one wait to order the next gen RS45 lamp for an existing X3?

Thank you.

jh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why not contact JVC and see if they will replace the lamp under warranty?
post #3 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Depending on the screen size and throw distance 14ftl could be normal or even very good.

I personally find 14ftl too bright to be comfortable with 2D on a large screen, if you are getting that with the lamp on low power there is nothing wrong with your lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Just FYI, if you change the lamp or change to high lamp, then UMR's calibration is void (assuming he calibrated in low lamp). When I calibrated my HD350 there is much more red in high lamp mode for example, so changing lamp power made the calibration inaccurate. A different lamp may have quite a different colour balance especially when new: I changed my lamp and did an 'as found' with the old lamp's calibration setting in and it was a long way off.

I also find 12-14fL is plenty for me on my 112" wide screen.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #5 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 993
As far as I have heard here on AVS forum, it appears that no one other than JVC is offering a replacement that matches the original bulb. One or two vendors are offering replacment bulbs (not the complete lamp assembly), but these do not seen to be from the original bulb manufacturer that is used by JVC. JVC claims the quality control issues with their bulbs has now been resolved, therefore new replacment lamp assemblies now shipping from JVC should have less early dimming cases than they did earlier iin 2011 (hopefully true). Also the new 2012 projectors use the same lamp (same part number).

If you did have the calibration done only in low lamp mode, then I would ask why? In high lamp mode and with 140 hours of use you should still get on the order of 650 to 750 lumens with calibration. At 50 hours my RS40 produced on the order of 800 ANSI lumens after calibration so with typical lamp dimming this should not drop all that much with an additional 100 hours of use (unless you have one of the defective lamps that is subject to early dimming). JVC is still replacing defective bulbs on a case-by-case basic, but its not clear if yours really has early dimming issues or not. If you want to purchasea a spare lamp then I suggest you contact the AVS Store and get their discounted price for a JVC lamp.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #6 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Why not contact JVC and see if they will replace the lamp under warranty?

I don't think my lamp is defective. It appears to be in line with what other owners experience - albeit on the low lumen side. It's just that with all the forum talk of premature dimming, sudden lumen drops and even explosions, I thought it would be prudent to have a spare handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post

Depending on the screen size and throw distance 14ftl could be normal or even very good. I personally find 14ftl too bright to be comfortable with 2D on a large screen, if you are getting that with the lamp on low power there is nothing wrong with your lamp.

Thanks for that reassurrance. My screen size is 106" diagonal - Studiotek 130 - 14' -6" throw. I don't watch 3D. It's just that when advertised lumens = 1300 and actual calibrated lumens are 369 it feels as if something is wrong.

My brightness cravings undoubtedly stem from habituation to the notion that brighter is better. I have the same issue with perceived sharpness. As misguided as these perceptions may be - vs. appreciation of a perfectly calibrated image - they are nonetheless hard to shake. My trigger finger keeps going to the sharpness control as my brain demands more chin stubble. But then Mr. ISF says "don't touch it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Just FYI, if you change the lamp or change to high lamp, then UMR's calibration is void (assuming he calibrated in low lamp). When I calibrated my HD350 there is much more red in high lamp mode for example, so changing lamp power made the calibration inaccurate. A different lamp may have quite a different colour balance especially when new: I changed my lamp and did an 'as found' with the old lamp's calibration setting in and it was a long way off.

I also find 12-14fL is plenty for me on my 112" wide screen.

Good to know. UMR performed separate calibrations for both Normal and High lamp modes.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Still no tips on replacements lamps?

The lamp situation with JVC would be helped if they had stuck with the same bulb over a number of generations, like in the pre RS40 days, however as you've discovered your options are limited.

When thinking of possible buing on an HD-15 a couple of years back, I went through the same process and found nothing less than $350.

I think going with an OEM bulb is the best bet and for the a good price, AVS or another authorized high-volume dealer is your best choice.

JVC 4910, Marantz 7010 AVR, HTPC MPC-HC/MPC-BE x64; MadVR/LAV
post #8 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

As far as I have heard here on AVS forum, it appears that no one other than JVC is offering a replacement that matches the original bulb. One or two vendors are offering replacment bulbs (not the complete lamp assembly), but these do not seen to be from the original bulb manufacturer that is used by JVC. JVC claims the quality control issues with their bulbs has now been resolved, therefore new replacment lamp assemblies now shipping from JVC should have less early dimming cases than they did earlier iin 2011 (hopefully true). Also the new 2012 projectors use the same lamp (same part number).

Thanks Ron - that explains why I couldn't source these lamps through other projector lamp sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

If you did have the calibration done only in low lamp mode, then I would ask why? In high lamp mode and with 140 hours of use you should still get on the order of 650 to 750 lumens with calibration. At 50 hours my RS40 produced on the order of 800 ANSI lumens after calibration so with typical lamp dimming this should not drop all that much with an additional 100 hours of use (unless you have one of the defective lamps that is subject to early dimming). JVC is still replacing defective bulbs on a case-by-case basic, but its not clear if yours really has early dimming issues or not. If you want to purchase a spare lamp then I suggest you contact the AVS Store and get their discounted price for a JVC lamp.

My X3 measured 22fL (522 lumens) in HIGH lamp mode and was separately calibrated for this setting. Again this seems on low side vs. what you have personally experienced. I'm going to guess that there is considerable variation dependent on the instrumentation being used and the skill of the person measuring the light output of these projectors.

But in your experience am I being overly cautious in getting a spare lamp on hand? I'm figuring that the investment of 1 lamp per year is reasonable for me. Also when I install a brand new lamp - does that require a recalibration? Also I've been told that the 3 month warranty on new lamps begins on the day of delivery - not the day of 1st use - so having a spare lamp sit idle as a back-up means that when it is finally put into use the warranty has already expired. And if it's a bad bulb there is no recourse beyond the warranty.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I never saw where anyone told what company actually makes the bulb for these models. There should be a code or actual name on the bulb that would say. If not then apparently they left it off on purpose or maybe JVC didn't use one of the main manufacturer of the lamps.

Maybe they got quotes from some of the other companies that built what most people call copies and they didn't have good quality control. Even though I'm sure they told JVC they could do it. I know Philips and Osram does make 220 watt bulbs. Just like the RS2, there is a Philips and Osram that will work but neither built the original. I really don't like the price of the latest JVC lamps and that includes the distributor price.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5378 Post(s)
Liked: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post

2. one company offers just the bulb for $200+ while others offer the bulb+ housing for $400+ Have people been purchasing just the bulb?

3. Can I get a few successful on-line sources for the lamp? I'm just not having much luck. Seems like a rare commodity.

4. Does the newer gen JVC's really have the EXACT SAME LAMP - and if so should one wait to order the next gen RS45 lamp for an existing X3?

Thank you.

jh

There are no known resources for a replacement lamp for the 2011-2012 JVC's outside of a direct replacement. The only option is the $400+ lamp you might find at the various dealers.

JVC claiming the lamps are improved is just conjecture at this point until the new owners gets some miles and see if the early dimming affects folks like it did for a number of us in 2011.

I am trying to figure out how Sony made a lamp for the HW30 and VW95 that is practically 1/2 the cost of the JVC, yet can perform just as well with lumen output. I hope JVC will consider lowering the price on the lamp.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that reassurrance. My screen size is 106" diagonal - Studiotek 130 - 14' -6" throw. I don't watch 3D. It's just that when advertised lumens = 1300 and actual calibrated lumens are 369 it feels as if something is wrong.

Maybe its your obsession for brightness that is the problem not the projector or lamp.

No projector gives its advertised light output when calibrated, and JVC are more honest than most.

My X3 has about 250 hours on the lamp and is projected onto a 100" screen with a gain of 1.0 from about 12'. I still use low lamp power and have the iris closed down about 50% so the image I see is MUCH dimmer than what you have and I am not looking for more. In fact I am considering going to a screen with a gain of 0.8 for better blacks as I have much more brightness available than I need.

Don't get worked up about brightness measurements as they are prone to inaccuracy. As long as the picture looks good dont worry about it.

If you are a sucker for a really bright image a high gain screen is a viable solution and could yield over 24ftl which is crazy for 2D.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe its your obsession for brightness that is the problem not the projector or lamp.

I stated as much in post #6 - but thanks for reminding me.

Quote:

No projector gives its advertised light output when calibrated, and JVC are more honest than most.

'Honest' as in 1300 lumens advertised and 369 delivered?

Quote:

My X3 has about 250 hours on the lamp and is projected onto a 100" screen with a gain of 1.0 from about 12'. I still use low lamp power and have the iris closed down about 50% so the image I see is MUCH dimmer than what you have and I am not looking for more. In fact I am considering going to a screen with a gain of 0.8 for better blacks as I have much more brightness available than I need.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. One man's ceiling is another man's floor. To each his own. Etc. Etc.

Quote:

Don't get worked up about brightness measurements as they are prone to inaccuracy. As long as the picture looks good dont worry about it.

I think that is excellent advice and I shall endeavor to follow it.

Quote:

If you are a sucker for a really bright image a high gain screen is a viable solution and could yield over 24ftl which is crazy for 2D.

A better recommendation would probably be to go with DLP vs. LCOS technology in which a brighter, punchier, sharper image is more common - but at the sacrifice of contrast, blacks and perhaps more "accurate" film-like image.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:

A better recommendation would probably be to go with DLP vs. LCOS technology in which a brighter, punchier, sharper image is more common - but at the sacrifice of contrast, blacks and perhaps more "accurate" film-like image.

How is it better when the high gain screen doesn't impose those other compromises?

Noah
post #14 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

'Honest' as in 1300 lumens advertised and 369 delivered?

Didnt you say you where getting 522 lumens?

Quote:

My X3 measured 22fL (522 lumens) in HIGH lamp mode and was separately calibrated for this setting.

1300 lumens for the projector in its brightest mode without accurate color and a new lamp. Its normal for projectors to deliver less than half their rated output when calibrated. So unless you intended to run in 3D mode uncalibrated there was never any chance of getting even close to 1300 lumens.

Quote:

So why did you buy a JVC LCOS projector?
post #15 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

How is it better when the high gain screen doesn't impose those other compromises?

Don't high gain screens require more stringent projector/screen placment - ie perpendicular to screen? My projector is elevated above the screen with no placement options. I'm also quite sensitive to hot-spotting of any degree. Also, high grain screens don't add sharpness. EVERYTHING is a compromise. No gain without pain. Having said that I know many are ecstatic with their 2.8 gain screens.

Quote:

Didnt you say you where getting 522 lumens?

As stated - 522 HIGH - 369 NORMAL. I feel these are borderline numbers. However, I still like your earlier advice of "As long as the picture looks good dont worry about it."

Quote:

So why did you buy a JVC LCOS projector?

I think I'm being misunderstood. I'm very happy with my JVC projector + ST130G3 combo. Considering all options and compromises, the X3/RS40 was clearly my best option in the $4K range - in fact I think it was the best option up to $7K.

My primary reason for starting this thread was to get some idea of whether others are buying "spare" bulbs (based on many reports of premature dimming and catastrophic failure) and also where people were purchasing them. I now know where to purchase (from JVC dealers only) but I don't have a sense of how many have spare bulbs ready-to-go and whether or not that's a good idea.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let me throw my two cents into the drain,

Correct me if I'm wrong (nah, that'll never happen on a forum like this huh?!), but I'm not seeing complaints about the new (-002?) lamp version from JVC. Assuming that is correct then going forward you shouldn't worry about lamp supply disappearing because the 2012 models are using the same lamp as the 2011 models.

I also have a 30% gain screen (Da-Lite Cinema Vision - 1.3 gain, 110" with 21.5ft throw distance) and found 12FL to be plenty (my readings back in April: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20366102) and that was in a big room with less than ideal light control.

When I tested some 20 screen samples before choosing the CV, I subjectively found some screens performed quite a bit better than others with ambient lighting or a couple room lights on. For example, while StudioVision was excellent in the dark (and my preferred choice there), it was near impossible to see anything with some lights on. Likewise, the extreme field of view and brightness falloff of some other screens (like the HP) were far less consistent than the CV.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to the need for more or less brightness than sheer FL/lumens.

If you are in a bat cave and find 14FL insufficient and insufferable, then yeah, maybe go DLP or keep waiting for LEDs and lasers to replace the current lamp tech.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Don't high gain screens require more stringent projector/screen placment - ie perpendicular to screen? My projector is elevated above the screen with no placement options. I'm also quite sensitive to hot-spotting of any degree. Also, high grain screens don't add sharpness. EVERYTHING is a compromise. No gain without pain. Having said that I know many are ecstatic with their 2.8 gain screens.

There are always "options", mounting at top of screen or slightly higher is ok with the right screen.

DNP Supernova screen, 2.3 gain with no sparkles or hot spotting.

Quote:

My primary reason for starting this thread was to get some idea of whether others are buying "spare" bulbs (based on many reports of premature dimming and catastrophic failure) and also where people were purchasing them. I now know where to purchase (from JVC dealers only) but I don't have a sense of how many have spare bulbs ready-to-go and whether or not that's a good idea.

Unless its imperative that the projector always be available why not worry about a lamp when its needed?
post #18 of 19 Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:

Don't high gain screens require more stringent projector/screen placment - ie perpendicular to screen?

For max gain, yes.

I have a Dalite Hipower screen, the top of which is about 6" higher than my pj, which is about 7' from the floor at the back wall.

I get about 1.8 gain, and enjoy all the other benefits of a retroreflective screen - no hotspotting, waves not visible, higher on-screen contrast by rejection of off-axis light, and reasonable price.

And the brighter picture does increase perceived sharpness.

There are setup situations where the HP isn't the best choice; check the HP thread in the Screens forum and/or search for Flaboy's screen calculator to check your situation.

Noah
post #19 of 19 Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

Unless its imperative that the projector always be available why not worry about a lamp when its needed?

Another point is that some lamps have a 90 day warranty which starts from the day of purchase. If you don't fit it straight away, then later find it has a problem or is DOA, then you migtht be out of warranty.

Just FYI, though I don't know the deal with JVC lamps and in the USA as I'm in the UK.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Rs50u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page