Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4891 of 4919 Old 04-21-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Excuse me for asking something that I'm sure has been answered through 160+ pages , but what, exactly, does this error code mean?
That's covered in the early pages in the manual. Very clear explanation as long as you aren't color blind.

Jack
JackB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4892 of 4919 Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm very silly. As described several pages ago in this thread, the error I get is the two outer indicator lamps are constantly red, with the middle one flashing orange. This happened right after I'd switched lamps one evening. Fans never start running at all. Replacing lamp, pulling power, etc., etc. does nothing.
Naiera is offline  
post #4893 of 4919 Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Here is my current (updated) bulb history as of 4/30/2019

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)
1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)
This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.
Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)
Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)
Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).
Lamp # 7 = Awaiting shipment for OSRAM this time...

Just ordered an Osram for $30 more to see if I can get more usage out of it.
I hope it was really the lamp and not a ballast issue this time (we shall see).
Odd how I originally got 1700 hours out of the Philips, then the last 2 bulbs I got way less.
Probably a coincidence, but you never know.

This might be my last bulb, as I may upgrade soon, it's about time, I've had this projector long enough
Great image, beats everything else for the price (especially in the used market), but looking to step up the game to something brighter (RS400/500 or later).
Naiera likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4894 of 4919 Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Here is my current (updated) bulb history as of 4/30/2019

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)
1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)
This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.
Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)
Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)
Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).
Lamp # 7 = Awaiting shipment for OSRAM this time...

Just ordered an Osram for $30 more to see if I can get more usage out of it.
I hope it was really the lamp and not a ballast issue this time (we shall see).
Odd how I originally got 1700 hours out of the Philips, then the last 2 bulbs I got way less.
Probably a coincidence, but you never know.

This might be my last bulb, as I may upgrade soon, it's about time, I've had this projector long enough
Great image, beats everything else for the price (especially in the used market), but looking to step up the game to something brighter (RS400/500 or later).
It would be nice to know what a ill ballast might affect in the operation of the bulb. Fluctuating current you would probably see. Not enough or too much current may have an impact. Obviously I'm guessing as I know nothing about this part of the technical picture but seems like that's a start for a discussion.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #4895 of 4919 Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
I put in the Osram lamp and my projector still works just fine (no Ballast issues).
However, I'm not sure the Osram lamp is any better (or worse) than the Philips.

My last few lamps I have installed have all started out 'not as bright', and that includes comparing Philips to other Philips lamps I had installed.

Maybe I need to open up my projector and clean it, it does have a lot of hours on it, but I didn't notice any part off-hand that appeared to need cleaning.
Also, the PQ looks the same as DAY # 1, or really close, except for the brightness...

I am only getting around 400-450 lumens on the new Osram lamp in LOW lamp, about the same as the last Philips lamp I installed.
Comparatively speaking, I was getting 600+ lumens in Low Lamp on the original official JVC OEM lamps and the first Philips I installed.

I don't think they sold me a used lamp, because generally with a used lamp you'd see less than 300 lumens or even less than 100.
I guess we shall see how long the Osram lasts.

It's plenty bright for my 106" Electric dropdown, but on my 2nd screen - 120 inch 2.35, it's definitely bright enough right now, but in a few hundred hours it will likely be a struggle, even with pumping the gamma a bit above normal. However, that is with every lamp, not just this one.

That is why I need to get a brighter projector, or a screen with more gain

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 05-04-2019 at 09:45 PM.
coderguy is online now  
post #4896 of 4919 Old 05-05-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I put in the Osram lamp and my projector still works just fine (no Ballast issues).
However, I'm not sure the Osram lamp is any better (or worse) than the Philips.

My last few lamps I have installed have all started out 'not as bright', and that includes comparing Philips to other Philips lamps I had installed.

Maybe I need to open up my projector and clean it, it does have a lot of hours on it, but I didn't notice any part off-hand that appeared to need cleaning.
Also, the PQ looks the same as DAY # 1, or really close, except for the brightness...

I am only getting around 400-450 lumens on the new Osram lamp in LOW lamp, about the same as the last Philips lamp I installed.
Comparatively speaking, I was getting 600+ lumens in Low Lamp on the original official JVC OEM lamps and the first Philips I installed.

I don't think they sold me a used lamp, because generally with a used lamp you'd see less than 300 lumens or even less than 100.
I guess we shall see how long the Osram lasts.

It's plenty bright for my 106" Electric dropdown, but on my 2nd screen - 120 inch 2.35, it's definitely bright enough right now, but in a few hundred hours it will likely be a struggle, even with pumping the gamma a bit above normal. However, that is with every lamp, not just this one.

That is why I need to get a brighter projector, or a screen with more gain
I wonder what the difference is between these bulbs and the OEM bulbs. It doesn't seem complicated. We must be missing something.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #4897 of 4919 Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know of a place inside the EU where I can buy a new ballast?
Naiera is offline  
post #4898 of 4919 Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Does anyone know of a place inside the EU where I can buy a new ballast?
Do you want to send the ballast to repair?
I fix the ballasts for services in my country. Everyone is happy.
I now have one fixed ballast. If you decide, then send me your bad ballast, and I will send you a good ballast. Prices you know. You will not find cheaper. I give 1 year warranty on my ballast.
 
Slonopot is online now  
post #4899 of 4919 Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like to purchase a ballast. I don't have one to spare.
Naiera is offline  
post #4900 of 4919 Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Please forum mates: My work mate has a RS 25 JVC projector and, by mistake, my dealer in Brazil sent me the lamp PK- L2210U for my X 950 (RS 600) model. I wanna know if this lamp fits the RS 25? I thank you in advance for the answer.
Walter Santos Filho is offline  
post #4901 of 4919 Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
Please forum mates: My work mate has a RS 25 JVC projector and, by mistake, my dealer in Brazil sent me the lamp PK- L2210U for my X 950 (RS 600) model. I wanna know if this lamp fits the RS 25? I thank you in advance for the answer.
Phillips is coming. If you sent an original lamp, then I do not know. This lamp will be installed in the housing, it will fit in size, then try it. The 12th series approaches to 10, but can flicker at the beginning of operation.
For 950 (600) you need 15 lamp, PK-L2615U / PK-L2615UG

Last edited by Slonopot; 05-23-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Slonopot is online now  
post #4902 of 4919 Old 05-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
DMark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
Please forum mates: My work mate has a RS 25 JVC projector and, by mistake, my dealer in Brazil sent me the lamp PK- L2210U for my X 950 (RS 600) model. I wanna know if this lamp fits the RS 25? I thank you in advance for the answer.
Hi Walter: As far as I can tell, the lamps for the RS25 and RS600 are NOT the same.

The JVC DLA-RS25 user manual says the original lamp is part number BHL5010-S. This lamp is a 200W Ultra High Pressure (UHP) Mercury lamp spec'd for use in the following projector series: DLA-RS10/15/20/25/35/HD250.
Power Ratings are 150W in Normal mode or 200W in High mode with a 3,000 hour life.

Your JVC DLA-RS600 user manual says the original lamp is part number PK-L2615U. This is a 265W UHP Mercury lamp spec'd for use in the following projector series: DLA-RS400/420/440/500/520/540/600/620/640.
Power Ratings are 200W in Low mode (4,500 hour life) or 265W in High mode (3,500 hour life).

I would NOT recommend using your RS600 lamp in your co-worker's RS25, even if it "fits". I looked at the pictures of the two lamps and they don't look the same to me at all. The BHL-5010-S lamps for the RS25 seem to be fairly inexpensive to buy - I am seeing original Philips BHL-5010-S lamps available online for less than $70 USD right now.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
DMark1 is offline  
post #4903 of 4919 Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thank all for your kind answer. I'll do as you say.
Walter Santos Filho is offline  
post #4904 of 4919 Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, im pretty new here I had a question and i was hoping that you guys could give me some advice. I wanted to buy a budget 1080p projector an than i came accros 2 jvc projectors, 1 is a jvc dla rs45 that is 7 years old and the seller is still on the first lamp that has been used for 880 hours he is also giving a new lamp a long with his sale this pj i can buy for 650 euros and the second one is the jvc dla hd750 i have no idea how long this one has been used but he is on his 3th lamp with 200 hours on the lamp and i can get this one for 500 euros. So which one should i get and why? I am not an expert on projectors the only thing i saw online was the huge difference in price back when they got released the hd 750 was crazy expensive and the difference in lumens. So what do you guys think Thanks in advance
Ehsan tariverdi is offline  
post #4905 of 4919 Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
I would go with the RS-45...
Ehsan tariverdi likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4906 of 4919 Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I would go with the RS-45...
Thanks for the reply, i also have the option to buy a x7 for 750 euros, i forgot to put that in my post :P Would you still recommend the rs45 over the x7?
Ehsan tariverdi is offline  
post #4907 of 4919 Old 05-27-2019, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Osamede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehsan tariverdi View Post
thanks for the reply, i also have the option to buy a x7 for 750 euros, i forgot to put that in my post would you still recommend the rs45 over the x7?
rs45.
Ehsan tariverdi likes this.
Osamede is offline  
post #4908 of 4919 Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
So far, unless something changes, I would say the Osram lamps are superior to the Philips if you have a good vendor. My Osram lamp at 300 hours is holding brightness better, and the Philips just didn't seem to be lasting very long at all lately.

Here is my updated Bulb History as of 6/5/2019...

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)
1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)
This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.
Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)
Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)
Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).
Lamp # 7 = Osram in same old v3 housing - 300 Hours and still going fine, brighter than my last Philips at same point...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4909 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Freniata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bassment
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
So far, unless something changes, I would say the Osram lamps are superior to the Philips if you have a good vendor. My Osram lamp at 300 hours is holding brightness better, and the Philips just didn't seem to be lasting very long at all lately.

Here is my updated Bulb History as of 6/5/2019...

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)
1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)
This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.
Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)
Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)
Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).
Lamp # 7 = Osram in same old v3 housing - 300 Hours and still going fine, brighter than my last Philips at same point...
where did you get the Osram lamp bulb?
thanks
Freniata is offline  
post #4910 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have yet another X30 that's "new to me" and has run about 1000 hours total. (changed the lamp recently; it was a G1 lamp in there )

I'm seeing sort of a dirty screen effect that's only really apparent doing during horizontal pans on brightly lit, mostly same-coloured surfaces, like you would see in anime. It's practially impossible to see on a plain white screen, like if I open an empty tab in Firefox.

Is this dirt, somewhere in there? Or some sort of banding? The lamp is new and very bright. I don't know how the projector was stored before I bought it; it didn't come with a box, so maybe some dust crept in there? I've never seen dust in one of my other X30s, so I have no idea how that would look. It's not specks of dark spots or anything; it's more like "waves" that seem quite consistent. I tried flipping the image on its head, and they seemed to appear in the same place.
Naiera is offline  
post #4911 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I have yet another X30 that's "new to me" and has run about 1000 hours total. (changed the lamp recently; it was a G1 lamp in there )

I'm seeing sort of a dirty screen effect that's only really apparent doing during horizontal pans on brightly lit, mostly same-coloured surfaces, like you would see in anime. It's practially impossible to see on a plain white screen, like if I open an empty tab in Firefox.

Is this dirt, somewhere in there? Or some sort of banding? The lamp is new and very bright. I don't know how the projector was stored before I bought it; it didn't come with a box, so maybe some dust crept in there? I've never seen dust in one of my other X30s, so I have no idea how that would look. It's not specks of dark spots or anything; it's more like "waves" that seem quite consistent. I tried flipping the image on its head, and they seemed to appear in the same place.
Did you try different gamma and color settings and see if that affects it?

Try resetting the projector's video color settings to factory defaults.
Could be a gamma issue, but otherwise sounds like something wrong.
Naiera likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4912 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't tried messing with colour or gamma settings. It's professionally calibrated, and I'd prefer not to mess with that.
Naiera is offline  
post #4913 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freniata View Post
where did you get the Osram lamp bulb?
thanks
From Ebay from a seller called 'dtvLamps', link to it is below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-PK-L221...72.m2749.l2649

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4914 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I haven't tried messing with colour or gamma settings. It's professionally calibrated, and I'd prefer not to mess with that.
Just change video modes first, like Cinema vs. Natural vs. Animation, and see if you notice a difference.
Also, just make a note of what the current settings are, you can select a different set of settings without actually changing anything.

If that doesn't work, then try a different Gamma (one of the Presets like Gamma D), I assume the calibrator calibrated the gamma using one of the 3 custom slots.
Naiera likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4915 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. I've turned it off for tonight, so it'll have to wait.
Naiera is offline  
post #4916 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It reminds me of the “dirty screen” effect on those 8th gen Pioneer plasmas, I think it was.

I’ll also note that this particular X30 seems to have better colour uniformity than my other two, looking at a bright, uniform background. Maybe this is the trade-off, somehow?

I’ve had it for more than 300 hours, so it seems like a weird time for something to go wrong.
Naiera is offline  
post #4917 of 4919 Old 06-08-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,922
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
No idea until you eliminate all possibilities.
This projector, even though it's showing its age, still throws a great image.

I've seen some of the 'somewhat newer' JVC's, like the RS-540, and other than black levels it looks similar. Though the RS-540 with e-shift (and especially the NX series with native 4k) throws a sharper image with 4k content.

The issue is there just isn't enough Native 4k content to be worth it yet IMO, and I don't want to spend $20 to $40 per disk anyhow, though some 4k stuff is available at SOME Redbox now, and some streaming. However, only some of it is actually 4k, a lot of it is scaled.

I'm going to hold onto this projector a bit longer, as nothing else really trumps it enough to justify an upgrade unless they increase the contrast on the newer NX series. There is a huge resolution difference for Native 4k content when watching scope, even if only using e-shift, but it's only select movies and again you generally have to pay for it.

The hard decision is going to be NX vs RS-540 later down the road, might grab a used RS-520 or RS-540 in a year or two if JVC doesn't increase contrast by A LOT on the lower-end NX series.
Naiera likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #4918 of 4919 Old 06-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Freniata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bassment
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
From Ebay from a seller called 'dtvLamps', link to it is below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-PK-L221...72.m2749.l2649

Thank you kindly for the info.
I've had the same experience as you so I'm now needing a change too



Regards,
Freniata is offline  
post #4919 of 4919 Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,005
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I have yet another X30 that's "new to me" and has run about 1000 hours total. (changed the lamp recently; it was a G1 lamp in there )

I'm seeing sort of a dirty screen effect that's only really apparent doing during horizontal pans on brightly lit, mostly same-coloured surfaces, like you would see in anime. It's practially impossible to see on a plain white screen, like if I open an empty tab in Firefox.

Is this dirt, somewhere in there? Or some sort of banding? The lamp is new and very bright. I don't know how the projector was stored before I bought it; it didn't come with a box, so maybe some dust crept in there? I've never seen dust in one of my other X30s, so I have no idea how that would look. It's not specks of dark spots or anything; it's more like "waves" that seem quite consistent. I tried flipping the image on its head, and they seemed to appear in the same place.
Have you inspected the squared lens that sits right after the lamp? Sometimes it can get foggy. Check this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...vc-owners.html
Naiera likes this.
descalabro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Projectors , Sony

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off