Official JVC X30 / RS45 owner's thread! - Page 166 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #4951 of 4960 Old 12-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vertical Lines have appeared on my screen, any ideas on how to get rid of them?
I have owned this rs45 since new, and have replaced the bulb/housing 4 times. the most recent about 60 hours ago.
I keep the unit clean of dust.
The projector runs fine for the first 20 minutes or so, then the vertical lines appear. It is not throwing any codes.
I have tried removing and reinserting the bulb housing.
Resetting the projector.
Removing the covers and blowing out the dust.
Checking to make sure the fans are working.
Thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 4960 Old 12-16-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post
Vertical Lines have appeared on my screen, any ideas on how to get rid of them?

I have owned this rs45 since new, and have replaced the bulb/housing 4 times. the most recent about 60 hours ago.

I keep the unit clean of dust.

The projector runs fine for the first 20 minutes or so, then the vertical lines appear. It is not throwing any codes.

I have tried removing and reinserting the bulb housing.

Resetting the projector.

Removing the covers and blowing out the dust.

Checking to make sure the fans are working.

Thought?

Mine does the same every once in while. Red vertical lines evenly spaced. Except on mine it isn’t after 20 minutes of operation, it can be right when turning on. Then I restart it and they are gone. I suppose it’s either a faulty D-ILA panel contact or similar issue on the image processor board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #4953 of 4960 Old 12-30-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 1499
I replaced the RS-45 with an RS-420.

Here is my final and current (updated) bulb history as of 12/1/2019

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)
1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)
This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.
Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)
Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)
Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).
Lamp # 7 = (fake?) OSRAM lamp lasted 600 hours then failed to ignite
Lamp # 8 = (fake?) new OSRAM lamp overheated immediately after installing, projector shut down (Sent lamp back and replaced it with Philips)...
Lamp # 9 = Philips from Ebay - Lasted 400 hours and projector would no longer light the bulb

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, about 9000 hours and 9 bulbs later. It should be noted the last 2 bulbs I was running out of a closet, the closet retains heat slightly worse than my previous room, so that may have affected the lamp life. Although it does get slightly hotter in that room, I was always using LOW Lamp and High Alt mode, and it wasn't all that hot.

Hoping I don't have any bulb issues on my RS-420

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 12-30-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4954 of 4960 Old 01-08-2020, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I replaced the RS-45 with an RS-420.

Here is my final and current (updated) bulb history as of 12/1/2019

Lamp # 1 (original bulb that came with the projector - No Flap - V1)

1200 Hours = Exploded

Lamp # 2 (JVC official bulb v3 w/ flap)

This one lasted unusually long, about 2800 hours then exploded. It was very DIM by this time however, but I was using it with an HP 2.4 gain screen.

Lamp # 3 = Philips from Ebay - severely DIM at 1100 hours so I replaced (didn't explode), oddly this bulb started out a bit brighter than my next two bulbs.

Lamp # 4 = Philips from Ebay - shutting off automatically at 1700 hours (didn't explode, semi-DIM but still useable)

Lamp # 5 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 550 hours (projector started rejecting it, lamp would work for 10-15 minutes then projector would shut off)

Lamp # 6 = Philips from Ebay - lasted 750 hours (same thing, projector started rejecting with a couple shutoffs, then suddenly would no longer fire up anymore).

Lamp # 7 = (fake?) OSRAM lamp lasted 600 hours then failed to ignite

Lamp # 8 = (fake?) new OSRAM lamp overheated immediately after installing, projector shut down (Sent lamp back and replaced it with Philips)...

Lamp # 9 = Philips from Ebay - Lasted 400 hours and projector would no longer light the bulb

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, about 9000 hours and 9 bulbs later. It should be noted the last 2 bulbs I was running out of a closet, the closet retains heat slightly worse than my previous room, so that may have affected the lamp life. Although it does get slightly hotter in that room, I was always using LOW Lamp and High Alt mode, and it wasn't all that hot.

Hoping I don't have any bulb issues on my RS-420

That's a crazy amount of bulb switching! How does the 420 compare? I'm imagining much brighter? I'm still using my 45 and love it. As long as it works it'll be in my house.

post #4955 of 4960 Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
That's a crazy amount of bulb switching! How does the 420 compare? I'm imagining much brighter? I'm still using my 45 and love it. As long as it works it'll be in my house.
It's about 3x brighter as compared to my last Philips lamp I had in the RS-45. So yah it's crazy bright. The ability to accept a 4k signal makes streaming higher quality.

Per the other attributes, there are pluses and minuses, but overall the RS-420 is definitely the better projector. CMD Mode isn't as selectable anymore, there is a LOW and High, the CMD on Low has more SOE than some of the older JVC CMD modes. Though the older JVC had artifacts in certain CMD modes, less in others, but the SOE is worse on the newer models. Native motion is slightly improved. The big difference is brightness, e-shift helps a bit maybe, but not much at my seating distance (pending more testing). The RS-45 I had was a better lens sample, it focused sharper and the pixels were a tiny bit clearer, but this doesn't seem to be affecting sharpness as the RS-420 gets close enough (just missing 2 notches extra of focus so to speak, but it's decent for a b-stock). The sharpness is basically the same between the two units from seating distance, but I would have to A/B to be certain. Will not be able to do that for a while.

The calibration controls are worlds better and easier, the color is better, and the gamma is fairly easy to correct. It does have gamma droop which is fully correctable with an auto-cal using the Spyder5, but I was even able to correct the gamma with a manual calibration (not 100% perfect, but 98%). It did take me about 5 hours to figure out how to manually nearly perfect the gamma, I had it about halfway there though in 30 minutes, but this isn't an issue since once I do auto-cal I can then get it perfect. Way better gamma than the RS-45, night and day here. Gamma was always a nightmare on the RS-45. The color is exceptional for a projector, best color I've ever seen. There are more user and gamma save slots for custom calibrations as well. Most of the calibration controls that used to only be available on the higher-end models are now built-in by default to the lower-end too, so that is another plus (like the CMS).

The longer HDMI synch times for the newer JVC is only a slight nuisance for me, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you're watching the movie, not a big deal to me, but some might be bothered by it more than others. The menu is similar to the old JVC's, but it's got a tiny bit more lagginess to it, but not really enough to be an issue.

The Lens Memory works better, it's faster as the algorithm is more direct and does not make tiny incremented movements like on the old RS-45.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-08-2020 at 06:42 PM.
post #4956 of 4960 Old 01-08-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
It's about 3x brighter as compared to my last Philips lamp I had in the RS-45. So yah it's crazy bright. The ability to accept a 4k signal makes streaming higher quality.

Per the other attributes, there are pluses and minuses, but overall the RS-420 is definitely the better projector. CMD Mode isn't as selectable anymore, there is a LOW and High, the CMD on Low has more SOE than some of the older JVC CMD modes. Though the older JVC had artifacts in certain CMD modes, less in others, but the SOE is worse on the newer models. Native motion is slightly improved. The big difference is brightness, e-shift helps a bit maybe, but not much at my seating distance (pending more testing). The RS-45 I had was a better lens sample, it focused sharper and the pixels were a tiny bit clearer, but this doesn't seem to be affecting sharpness as the RS-420 gets close enough (just missing 2 notches extra of focus so to speak, but it's decent for a b-stock). The sharpness is basically the same between the two units from seating distance, but I would have to A/B to be certain. Will not be able to do that for a while.

The calibration controls are worlds better and easier, the color is better, and the gamma is fairly easy to correct. It does have gamma droop which is fully correctable with an auto-cal using the Spyder5, but I was even able to correct the gamma with a manual calibration (not 100% perfect, but 98%). It did take me about 5 hours to figure out how to manually nearly perfect the gamma, I had it about halfway there though in 30 minutes, but this isn't an issue since once I do auto-cal I can then get it perfect. Way better gamma than the RS-45, night and day here. Gamma was always a nightmare on the RS-45. The color is exceptional for a projector, best color I've ever seen. There are more user and gamma save slots for custom calibrations as well. Most of the calibration controls that used to only be available on the higher-end models are now built-in by default to the lower-end too, so that is another plus (like the CMS).

The longer HDMI synch times for the newer JVC is only a slight nuisance for me, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you're watching the movie, not a big deal to me, but some might be bothered by it more than others. The menu is similar to the old JVC's, but it's got a tiny bit more lagginess to it, but not really enough to be an issue.

The Lens Memory works better, it's faster as the algorithm is more direct and does not make tiny incremented movements like on the old RS-45.

Thanks for all that info! It seems like a pretty significant upgrade. I feel that the change in the bulb assembly in the newer generation jvcs is a major step up. I think the RS45 was the last of the older style.

The lack of a complete cms is a major weakness of the 45 as well. I have mine dialed in fairly well and luckily I'm not that ocd about the picture so it doesn't bother me at all. I thinky next upgrade will be on a laser driven unit. But definitely not the dlp that they're selling now. I'm just not a dlp fan at all unless they're 3 chip.

post #4957 of 4960 Old 01-08-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXRDISBEST View Post
Thanks for all that info! It seems like a pretty significant upgrade. I feel that the change in the bulb assembly in the newer generation jvcs is a major step up. I think the RS45 was the last of the older style.

The lack of a complete cms is a major weakness of the 45 as well. I have mine dialed in fairly well and luckily I'm not that ocd about the picture so it doesn't bother me at all. I thinky next upgrade will be on a laser driven unit. But definitely not the dlp that they're selling now. I'm just not a dlp fan at all unless they're 3 chip.
The color and gamma is pretty good on the RS-45 when you get it dialed in, no argument there. The problem is how long it takes to get it dialed in, especially if you lose a lot of brightness and suddenly need a different gamma to compensate. I'm not a purist when it comes to color, the way I calibrate my projectors is I do about 3-5 calibrations and put them in the SAVED slots. Then I just compare the nuances in color and keep the one I like better.

I often find myself choosing a slightly cooler color around 7000k instead of 6500k, though that is not necessarily because of the color temp (maybe a tiny bit), but could just be because of the way the error stacked in my specific calibration. Though a true 6500k temperature will often appear slightly too warm for a white background like HTPC text, but again I'm not sure how true that is on a perfectly calibrated display with truly less than 0.5 dE error. The problem is I'm not even sure exactly how accurate my meter is, but I am pretty sure it's under 2 dE given I had 2 separate meters with results that matched, plus it was NIST certified.

I rarely choose the one with the smallest DE, you don't want that clinical look (too cool) or that super warm look (yellow or red faces), but you want it between. Director's intent or not, because I think some of the movies are too warm when it comes to skin tones. I've found many of my calibrations to be too warm looking when I get the dE's real tight.

Same thing with gamma curves, I do one pretty flat, I'll create a couple S-curves, and even just some random shapes. Then I compare and keep the one I like. I think if I were a pro calibrator I would probably get to the end-result quicker from having so much experience, but none-the-less I still get there, albeit a bit slower.

The color is just very exceptional on these newer models, bordering on amazing really. Partly it's because of the wider color gamut forced them to make it more precise.
SXRDISBEST likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 01-08-2020 at 09:30 PM.
post #4958 of 4960 Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wondering if any other owners can shed some light on something...

I calibrated my projector with a ColorMunki and HCFR. I got the gamma greyscale dialed in extremely well. It looks great.

When I did this, I used the 'High Bright' setting for the Custom 1 color profile. I figured this would give me the extra brightness... seems to have worked well!

Only issue is that it weirdly switches itself each time I turn the projector off/on.

Basically, when I turn the projector on, I open the menu and change the color profile from 'Custom 1' to 'High Bright'. Nothing changes in the image.

Then I switch it back to 'Custom 1', and the image changes to my calibrated example.

It looks good in both, weirdly, with the 'High Bright' setting having a slightly warmer push.

Any idea what's happening?
post #4959 of 4960 Old 01-14-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Wondering if any other owners can shed some light on something...

I calibrated my projector with a ColorMunki and HCFR. I got the gamma greyscale dialed in extremely well. It looks great.

When I did this, I used the 'High Bright' setting for the Custom 1 color profile. I figured this would give me the extra brightness... seems to have worked well!

Only issue is that it weirdly switches itself each time I turn the projector off/on.

Basically, when I turn the projector on, I open the menu and change the color profile from 'Custom 1' to 'High Bright'. Nothing changes in the image.

Then I switch it back to 'Custom 1', and the image changes to my calibrated example.

It looks good in both, weirdly, with the 'High Bright' setting having a slightly warmer push.

Any idea what's happening?

Have you upgraded to the newest firmware? I know some issues were fixed with the last update. This may have been one of them.

post #4960 of 4960 Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No, I haven't. I think this has more to do with the way I calibrated it than firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page