Help confirming setup 135" screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Ok, so I've learned a bunch over the years and I am on my final "rough" build and need to verify my calculations.

Basically I will have the projector mounted above the couch area, on a soffit that is at a height of 88"

The top of my 135" diag screen will be right around the same height, (88"-66") plus or minus an inch. The bottom of the screen will then be at roughly 2 ft, giving me the perfect 1/3 of the screen is below sitting eye sight and 2/3 above.

So then when I mount the projector it will be 5-6" or so from the top of the screen. (at least that is what my guestimate is) So no worries vertical lens shift fixes that.

HOWEVER my fear or concern is the soffit interfering...meaning say my throw distance is at 15 ft. I will have 3 ft of soffit that be in front of the projector. If I move vertical lens shift up a bit so I can have the screen where I want it, will the BEAM of the projector CLIP the to of the soffit, or will the beam clear with plenty of space.

Trying finding to do that math but couldn't.

I have NOT bought the projector yet as I am still trying to verify my logic will work.

Any thoughts are appreciated...and I really hope this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12707 Post(s)
Liked: 10328
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post

Ok, so I've learned a bunch over the years and I am on my final "rough" build and need to verify my calculations.

Basically I will have the projector mounted above the couch area, on a soffit that is at a height of 88"

The top of my 135" diag screen will be right around the same height, (88"-66") plus or minus an inch. The bottom of the screen will then be at roughly 2 ft, giving me the perfect 1/3 of the screen is below sitting eye sight and 2/3 above.

So then when I mount the projector it will be 5-6" or so from the top of the screen. (at least that is what my guestimate is) So no worries vertical lens shift fixes that.

HOWEVER my fear or concern is the soffit interfering...meaning say my throw distance is at 15 ft. I will have 3 ft of soffit that be in front of the projector. If I move vertical lens shift up a bit so I can have the screen where I want it, will the BEAM of the projector CLIP the to of the soffit, or will the beam clear with plenty of space.

Trying finding to do that math but couldn't.

I have NOT bought the projector yet as I am still trying to verify my logic will work.

Any thoughts are appreciated...and I really hope this makes sense.

Simple way to do it is to pull a string from the top of the image location to the projector lens location. If it clears the soffit by a few inches, then the beam will clear the soffit. This assumes that you have the projector with in the allowable range of the lens shift to hit the screen.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
OMG - so easy and makes total sense. Now I gotta figure this out before I go to bed :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page