Runco VX-11D W/DHD4 Processor W/Vivix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Hi,

For those of you here and guest that are into the Home Theater thing.
After 9-Years we are up dating some of the Home Theater gear.
Runco VX-11D purchase finalized

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New HT products,

http://www.runco.com/announcements/r...-with-cinewide
08-Sep-2011
Brightness, clarity, and award-winning technology of the VideoXtreme VX-11d projector delivers an incredible viewing experience for video connoisseurs.

Indianapolis, IN, - CEDIA EXPO 2011 - Runco®, the leading brand in luxury display solutions, will highlight its new VideoXtreme VX-11d, the latest addition to its performance projector line at CEDIA Expo 2011. The 3-chip DLP VX-11d is precisely engineered to bring the ultimate viewing experience to clientele looking for versatile, high-fidelity HD solutions for custom home theaters.
Runco's VideoXtreme portfolio of performance projection systems, including the VX-11d, VX-3000, VX-22 models and the high-end VX-33i/d, offers the most advanced and unique combination of performance, feature sets, and price-points to satisfy the diverse range of budgets and media environments of every video aficionado. Spectacular video reproduction sets the VX-11d above the rest by combining the industry's most advanced technology, an ingeniously engineered 3-chip DLP light engine with 1080p SuperOnyx, and Runco's proprietary video processing and scaling. Utilizing proprietary O-Path technology and ISF exacting calibration standards, the VX-11d projects ultra-high resolution and brightness, making it the perfect projector for the spectacular media rooms of today's luxury residences.
With the VideoXtreme series, Runco has developed projectors that deliver unmatched accuracy while allowing clients to completely eliminate black bars when watching cinema sources, said Jennifer Davis, Runco VP Marketing. By packaging our award-winning CineWide technology in the VideoXtreme series, Runco can offer discerning clientele an unparalleled viewing experience.
Designed specifically for the custom installer who specializes in high-end theaters, the VX-11d is available with Runco's exclusive, award-winning CineWide and CineWide with AutoScope.
The first and leading 2.35:1 projection solution, CineWide has since been adopted industry wide to properly reproduce 2.35:1 CinemaScope movies. The addition of Vivix, with VirtualWide and new VirtualCinema, removes the black bars from letterboxed content for non-CineWide configurations and expertly widens 16:9 content to fit into a 2.35:1 screen with minimal distortion on projectors with CineWide lenses. All video aspect ratios are supported without any loss of image integrity for the best possible imagery from all video sources, enhancing all digital and analog signals to near-high-definition quality. This technology combination allows VideoXtreme projectors to handle native HD content flawlessly while making standard-definition content appear near-HD quality.
The VX-11d features Runco's Digital High-Definition (DHD) external video processor. The Runco DHD4 offers the most advanced alignment in Runco history, allowing for ultra-precise installation geometries, more extreme installation scenarios, and the removal of any pin-cushion effect that can be caused by 2.35:1 scaling, improving the CineWide technology. The DHD4 now also supports control over HDMI CEC in addition to the traditional IR and the expanded RS-232 connections. And for added dealer convenience, the new web interface allows for calibration from a laptop, smart phone, Apple iPhone, or iPad, which makes installation and set-up even easier for the installer. In addition, the Runco DHD4 offers four HDMI inputs and three composite video connections.
Runco's VideoXtreme VX-11d projector will ship in September 2011 and starts at $29,995 (MSRP). All projector displays feature a two-year RuncoCare standard warranty. Runco RedCarpet and PremierCare extended service options are also available. Runco's VideoXtreme Series projectors are available exclusively through the Runco authorized dealer network. For more information about Runco or to find a local dealer in your area, please visit www.Runco.com.
About Runco
Founded in 1987 and acquired by Planar Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLNR) in 2007, Runco is a market leader in state-of-the-art projection systems, flat-panel displays, video processors, display walls and other components for the custom consumer market. Runco's display innovations have won numerous awards and citations from the world press. Runco continues to be a pioneer in the custom video display market.
Planar Systems, Inc is a global leader of specialty display technology providing hardware and software solutions for the world's most demanding environments including hospitals, space and military programs, utility and transportation hubs, shopping centers, banks, government agencies, businesses, and home theaters.
VideoXtreme, SuperOnyx, O-Path, CineWide, AutoScope, CinemaScope, VirtualCinema, VirtualWide, RuncoCare, PremierCare, RedCarpet are all trademarks of Runco International.
All product and company names referred to herein are trademarks of their respective owners.
MEDIA CONTACTS:
Jennifer Bernards
Planar Systems, Inc.
(503) 748-8944
[email protected]
or
Kimberly Lancaster
Caster Communications
[email protected]
INVESTOR CONTACTS:
Ryan Gray
Planar Systems, Inc.
[email protected]

The rep. came by yesterday and we finalized the new equipment purchase.

This is going to be so cool.
Christmas is looking up guys.

Since we have Dish Network already we are going to use it for Streaming Movies.
We have this as part of our programming package already but have not been able to take advantage of it.

Blockbuster Movie Pass: Dish Network's $10/Month Answer To Netflix

Below is the Home Theater {Before} the New Gear is installed.

These pictures are Courtesy of a close Buddy of mine, Tom Cochran.

He took these while visiting on his way to BRENSPEED

for His Saleen Supercharger etc. install.

And this Last picture is my Buddy, Tom Cochran
(Tom took the Pictures above)

Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what did it replace,and current screensize?

(fifth element)
post #3 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 14
He has / had a Runco a VX-5000. 123 Firehawk screen

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Congrats.........

Excellent projector!

From my understanding, the VX-11D has same machine internals as the LS-10i/d with the exception of the lens. Can the OP confer? In Beaverton, I as able to see the LS-10, but not VX-11.
post #5 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Congrats.........

Excellent projector!

From my understanding, the VX-11D has same machine internals as the LS-10i/d with the exception of the lens. Can the OP confer? In Beaverton, I as able to see the LS-10, but not VX-11.

I confirm the first part of your statement but I have also been told that the lens is either the same or essentially the same...in short, there is very very little that differs between the 2 other than the price...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #6 of 53 Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat View Post

what did it replace,and current screen-size?

Current Runco VX-5000ci which is right at 10 yrs/old.
123" Stewart Grey-Hawk with remote 4-way masking feature.
I sit about 19' from the screen.
So the picture is pretty darn large at that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

He has / had a Runco a VX-5000. 123 Firehawk screen

We both get around the site here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Congrats.........

Excellent projector!

Sorry, no professional here so I really don't know the exact difference between the two.

I was originally going with the LS-10-D until I kept researching and finally stumbled on the 2011 Cedia Show.

And from there I went to Runco's Home Page and read about the VX-11D just being released in Sept. 2011 at Cedia.

It seemed to me the smarter move to go to the Extreme Series Projector versus the LS-10 series.

The way technology changes so very quickly one might as well get the newest on the front-end I think.

I also liked the fact that Runco has the Extended Warranty available now for another 2-yrs. for a total of 4-yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

I confirm the first part of your statement but I have also been told that the lens is either the same or essentially the same...in short, there is very very little that differs between the 2 other than the price...

You very well may be right on the two being close to one another.

I can tell you that part of what helped me make my decision to stick with Runco was the below Article I researched and Read regarding Planar & Runco.

Planar Set To Focus On Runco Brand

http://www.twice.com/article/240155-Planar_Set_To_Focus_On_Runco_Brand.php

That is the sort of Business plan I like to read about a Company and it's Focus.

Terry
post #7 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

It's Official ...

A/V rep. dropped by this afternoon and we concluded this purchase.
He picked up check for partial payment and we signed purchase Contract.

Looks like 1st of 2012 for install.

Terry
post #8 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A very nice New Years gift

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #9 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

A very nice New Years gift

Thank-You,

I think it is going to be an Outstanding New Year

Terry
post #10 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

After discussing with my A/V (Audio Video) retailer last night.
I decided to go ahead and place the order for the newest Integra Processor.
My Dealer Rep. will be by tomorrow to have the Contract signed and pick up the check.

It was announced in September 2011 at the Cedia convention for new products coming out.

Just did not make much sense to replace the Runco 720p projector and DVD player without up dating the processor.

Now I have the 1080p Runco, Sony BluRay Player & Latest Integra Processor.

So once this is all installed we will be able to See and Hear everything that is {Encoded} on a BD, (BluRay Disc) including 7.1 Surround.
(Actually in my case it is a 7.4 system, 4-Subs.)

..........Below is the New 2012 Integra DHC-80.3 Pre Amp Processor.

Terry
post #11 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Congrats! That should make a nice addition to your already stellar set-up.
post #12 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Congrats! That should make a nice addition to your already stellar set-up.

I think when these newest arrivals are installed I am going to be like so Excited to fire it up.
I Luv watching movies.
And have looked forward to the day I could up grade to a 1080p projector, BluRay player and latest Processor that would decode all the latest audio formats.

This is going to be so Awesome

Terry
post #13 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Enjoy as I know you will...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #14 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great choices!

David

post #15 of 53 Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Enjoy as I know you will...

Quote:

Great choices!

Thanks guys for the comments.

This is going to be Awesome !!!

Terry
post #16 of 53 Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Unhappy Talk about Sad times this IMO certainly qualifies ...

Sad times guys,

I did not know that Runco that was purchased by Planar International was purchased by a Chinese Company in 2016.

About 6-months after that they did away with the Runco entirely.

So I have a $30,000.00 dollar unit that two days ago the DHD Controller shut down.

What is amazing to me is there is no discussion at all that I can find where Runco customers are talking about this taking place.
I would have thought customers would be so irritated that there would be tons of discussions about it taking place.

My unit is still under an extended warranty and I still don't know if Runco is still honoring that for their customers.

The article I did find said that the Runco Products that were under warranty would be serviced but it does not look good.

The Runco regional representative has been talking to my guy/dealer and was told today Runco is DEAD.

So more information is suppose to be coming tomorrow on my situation in regards to the fan the DHD Controller needs.

You know it makes me wonder what Brand a person can really trust to be around once you purchase their product.

I'm thinking now to replace this unit to go to either the Sony or JVC brands.

Both of them have been around and have huge backing in dollars.

Terry
post #17 of 53 Old 03-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
The VX-11D is still an excellent projector. There's only a couple of home theater based DLP units that I think can hang with this unit in overall image quality. If it does turn out that you can't replace the fan, I wouldn't have hesitation looking at a projector from another brand. You'd be surprised at how much progress JVC, Epson and Sony have made in image quality since 2012.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #18 of 53 Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The VX-11D is still an excellent projector. There's only a couple of home theater based DLP units that I think can hang with this unit in overall image quality. If it does turn out that you can't replace the fan, I wouldn't have hesitation looking at a projector from another brand. You'd be surprised at how much progress JVC, Epson and Sony have made in image quality since 2012.
I agree the images on this Runco especially with Blu-ray disc are outstanding.

I might know today if Runco still is supporting their customers that have units under warranty like mine.

If not I have been reading everything I can on the Newest 4K Laser Projectors.

Below is the one unit that has really gotten my attention.

JVC DLA-RS4500K

http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp...Id=140&page=10

There is an excellent Thread on here discussing it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...-s-thread.html

It seems to be a very High-End unit with all the very latest features.

Terry
post #19 of 53 Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
What is amazing to me is there is no discussion at all that I can find where Runco customers are talking about this taking place.
I would have thought customers would be so irritated that there would be tons of discussions about it taking place.
There's never been much Runco talk here, mainly for two reasons, Runco was always an installer focused/installer exclusive brand, and most folks here are a bit more DIY. And (especially for the DIY'er) Runco really wasn't ever a great value. I'm sure if you had an installer handle everything it probably all evens out, but for folks on this forum that tend more to just buy a unit and install it themselves, Runco was always pretty expensive, especially compared to the competition.

Quote:
My unit is still under an extended warranty and I still don't know if Runco is still honoring that for their customers.
Give Planar a call and see what they say. They might end up having you send it to RVI, they fixed my Planar 8150 (out of warranty, so I paid).

The other option, the DHD is just a video processor, you could always get a Lumagen Radiance to replace it I assume. And a Radiance is probably better anyway (or at least on par).

Last edited by stanger89; 03-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #20 of 53 Old 03-09-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
There's never been much Runco talk here, mainly for two reasons, Runco was always an installer focused/installer exclusive brand, and most folks here are a bit more DIY. And (especially for the DIY'er) Runco really wasn't ever a great value. I'm sure if you had an installer handle everything it probably all evens out, but for folks on this forum that tend more to just buy a unit and install it themselves, Runco was always pretty expensive, especially compared to the competition.

Give Planar a call and see what they say. They might end up having you send it to RVI, they fixed my Planar 8150 (out of warranty, so I paid).

The other option, the DHD is just a video processor, you could always get a Lumagen Radiance to replace it I assume. And a Radiance is probably better anyway (or at least on par).
Your right AVS and the majority of members have never talked hardly at all on the Runco projectors.

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a DIY person.

So my HT was done by an AV Dealers each time it has been up-dated over the years.

Thanks for the information on the Runco DHD Controller.

Terry
post #21 of 53 Old 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Sad times guys,
So I have a $30,000.00 dollar unit that two days ago the DHD Controller shut down.
Terry
Hi Terry,

Interesting - Same situation here. Owner I work for has a VX-44d with DHD3 and last Friday the system popped up the same message on the DHD while shutting down video feed on the 44d. Unable to power cycle the DHD from the buttons so ended up with a power cord pull and replugging in. That brought the system back into working mode.

Have been able to get the system to repeat the issue however and it appears that the fan on the back side of the DHD is the culprit. A little fiddling around with it has seemed to get it going again. Not sure if the DHD is getting an RPM signal from the fan of Zero and throwing the fault/shutting down, or if it is an temperature overheat that throws the fault and assumes the fan is down.

Going to add a few usb fans at the rear opening and sides to see if I can supplement air flow and see if the fault reappears.

Tried calling Runco to find that Planar has acquired and their techs are.... well less than helpful for a brand (runco) that caters to the elite. I was however told that they believe this is serviceable and that they believe they have parts to fix assuming it is the fan. The issue however is that planar won't give a turn around time. They cannot say what is in their que ahead of any new repairs. They cannot confirm what parts they have available. They say they have a 'small' team that does these Runco repairs as everything Runco is discontinued. I was told anywhere from a week to over a month, and to plan for a month.

I realize this is out of warranty, but it is baffling a customer whom spent well over $130k on a Runco setup is told it will be a month and there is no 'expedite' options. Crazy.

I'll report in if I find any results related to the fan. Half tempted to purchase a replacement fan (can see the model numbers from the back of unit thru the grill) and just replace myself for a 1 hour fix.
post #22 of 53 Old 06-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsrfr1 View Post
Tried calling Runco to find that Planar has acquired and their techs are.... well less than helpful for a brand (runco) that caters to the elite.

I realize this is out of warranty, but it is baffling a customer whom spent well over $130k on a Runco setup is told it will be a month and there is no 'expedite' options. Crazy.
Runco is out of business, FYI. Well I guess "out of business" isn't exactly accurate, but it no longer exists.
http://www.cepro.com/article/goodbye_runco
post #23 of 53 Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hi Terry,

Tried calling Runco to find that Planar has acquired and their techs are.... well less than helpful for a brand (runco) that caters to the elite. I was however told that they believe this is serviceable and that they believe they have parts to fix assuming it is the fan. The issue however is that planar won't give a turn around time. They cannot say what is in their que ahead of any new repairs. They cannot confirm what parts they have available. They say they have a 'small' team that does these Runco repairs as everything Runco is discontinued. I was told anywhere from a week to over a month, and to plan for a month.

I'll report in if I find any results related to the fan. Half tempted to purchase a replacement fan (can see the model numbers from the back of unit thru the grill) and just replace myself for a 1 hour fix.
I would not give you a time frame either. Doing so, without knowing exactly what the issue is and what parts are needed to fix, would be purely a guess. As for what's ahead in the repair que, that may change daily, but I would think they could have answered that with a: "as of right now". The projector is discontinued and out of warranty, Planar could have very easily just told you, sorry. If the customer wants to keep this unit, I would send it in. Otherwise, I would be looking at a replacement.
post #24 of 53 Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hi Terry,

Interesting - Same situation here. Owner I work for has a VX-44d with DHD3 and last Friday the system popped up the same message on the DHD while shutting down video feed on the 44d. Unable to power cycle the DHD from the buttons so ended up with a power cord pull and replugging in. That brought the system back into working mode.

Have been able to get the system to repeat the issue however and it appears that the fan on the back side of the DHD is the culprit. A little fiddling around with it has seemed to get it going again. Not sure if the DHD is getting an RPM signal from the fan of Zero and throwing the fault/shutting down, or if it is an temperature overheat that throws the fault and assumes the fan is down.

Going to add a few usb fans at the rear opening and sides to see if I can supplement air flow and see if the fault reappears.

I read you LOUD & Clear for sure.
In my case I have actually had multiple Runco projectors over the years.
So to say I was Up-Set to finally find out that Runco purchased by Planar was no longer in business is an understatement at best.
Luckily and I do stress luckily the A/V Dealer I have now known for years was willing to help me out.
If it was not for him as well as his main technician I would be {Screwed}.
And as far as contacting Runco that's totally a Joke.
My dealer went through the local Runco Factory Rep and nothing actually took place as in regards to replacement fans.
Runco was going to see if they could locate them and nothing ever happened !!!

Let me see if I can Help you out on this matter and the DHD Controller.
I have had the exact same message come up numerous times and the Faulty parts were the two (2) inner fans inside the DHD Controller.
(Complete waste of time trying to get them from Runco)

Oh and even if your unit was or still is under the Runco Warranty like mine it makes Zero difference.

Here is the DHD Controller looking at the inside.

Here is the tag off the new replacement fan.

The fan

Here is the message you probably have been seeing on the Front Display of the DHD Controller.

Below is the link to Wolf Hill Technologies that is my guy.
Owner's name is Charles .......
You could give him a call as I'm confident he will recall going through this on my Runco VX-11D.
The reason I'm saying you might wish to call him is to find out where they finally located the two (2) fans.
They were not available in the USA !!!
They came from other Countries.
Also his Tech, Jason had to reverse the wires on one of them just as a Heads-Up for it to be wired correctly for the DHD Controller.
In my case I had Charles order two (2) of each fan just in case this situation comes up again.

http://wolfhilltechnologies.com/

I'm just hoping mine will continue to work and when I do replace it I'm pretty darn sure I'll go to the JVC 4500 or it's next generation.

https://discuss.avscience.com/?PHPSE...d3b&topic=15.0

Good-Luck,
Terry
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I read you LOUD & Clear for sure.
In my case I have actually had multiple Runco projectors over the years.
So to say I was Up-Set to finally find out that Runco purchased by Planar was no longer in business is an understatement at best.
Luckily and I do stress luckily the A/V Dealer I have now known for years was willing to help me out.
If it was not for him as well as his main technician I would be {Screwed}.
And as far as contacting Runco that's totally a Joke.
My dealer went through the local Runco Factory Rep and nothing actually took place as in regards to replacement fans.
Runco was going to see if they could locate them and nothing ever happened !!!

Let me see if I can Help you out on this matter and the DHD Controller.
I have had the exact same message come up numerous times and the Faulty parts were the two (2) inner fans inside the DHD Controller.
(Complete waste of time trying to get them from Runco)

Oh and even if your unit was or still is under the Runco Warranty like mine it makes Zero difference.

Below is the link to Wolf Hill Technologies that is my guy.
Owner's name is Charles .......
You could give him a call as I'm confident he will recall going through this on my Runco VX-11D.
The reason I'm saying you might wish to call him is to find out where they finally located the two (2) fans.
They were not available in the USA !!!
They came from other Countries.
Also his Tech, Jason had to reverse the wires on one of them just as a Heads-Up for it to be wired correctly for the DHD Controller.
In my case I had Charles order two (2) of each fan just in case this situation comes up again.

http://wolfhilltechnologies.com/

I'm just hoping mine will continue to work and when I do replace it I'm pretty darn sure I'll go to the JVC 4500 or it's next generation.

https://discuss.avscience.com/?PHPSE...d3b&topic=15.0

Good-Luck,
Terry

I did not realize yours was still under warranty. Planar was under a legal obligation to fix your unit. When you buy the assets of a company, you get the liabilities also. Sucks that they did nothing.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-21-2017, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I did not realize yours was still under warranty. Planar was under a legal obligation to fix your unit. When you buy the assets of a company, you get the liabilities also. Sucks that they did nothing.
Hi Mike,

It does suck but it is what it is my good man.

The only thing that saved me was my local A/V Dealer.
Sometimes it does pay to be Super Nice when dealing with companies.
I say that simply because my guy started his own A/V Business and had zero obligation to help me with the Runco.
Although I did purchase it from him when he was part owner of the other A/V Dealer that was a Runco Distributor..
We have had an excellent business relationship thank goodness so when I called and talked with him he said he would help me.
And he did exactly what he said he would.

I hope mine keeps working really as I have no issue with the 1080P picture quality at all.

But, I know something will happen in time and by then to be honest I'm hoping JVC has come out with there next series 4500 Laser unit.

Terry
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #27 of 53 Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
should i buy a Runco

I thought I'd also post this in this thread since it's runco centric.

-----------------

I'm going to be buying my first projector and it's a difficult decision. I was first going to get a JVC dla-x7700 or even reach for a sony 4k vw365es.

I have a chance to buy a Runco SC-50D which I understand is a very nice, high end projector, albeit not 4k.

I'm not sure what I can get the Runco for but think it will be somewhere around the sony 4k vw365es, which is about $8,000.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially anyone who has experience with Runco. Any idea what a fair value of this is? I understand originally it was very expensive, but the draw backs on it are limited (if any) support, no warranty and of course not 4K, The benefits are I'd be able to get a high end projector for pennies on the dollar.

Thanks

Incidentally
my room has about a 22' throw
seating position about 9' from the screen
probably going with a 130" screen

Marantz AV7702Mk2 / 2x Emotiva Gen 3 7chnl amp / Crown XLS-2502

Samsung Q6-82 / Sony UBPUX800 Disc player

7.2.4 Atmos Config / 3 of Klipsch KPT-435 / 2 of KPT-418-SW / 8 of KPT-8001
post #28 of 53 Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win68 View Post

-----------------

I'm going to be buying my first projector and it's a difficult decision. I was first going to get a JVC dla-x7700 or even reach for a sony 4k vw365es.

I have a chance to buy a Runco SC-50D which I understand is a very nice, high end projector, albeit not 4k.

I'm not sure what I can get the Runco for but think it will be somewhere around the sony 4k vw365es, which is about $8,000.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially anyone who has experience with Runco. Any idea what a fair value of this is? I understand originally it was very expensive, but the draw backs on it are limited (if any) support, no warranty and of course not 4K, The benefits are I'd be able to get a high end projector for pennies on the dollar.

Thanks

Incidentally
my room has about a 22' throw
seating position about 9' from the screen
probably going with a 130" screen
Here is what comes to my mind on your question above.

I've owned Runco projectors for many-many years.
I was very happy with them and my local Runco Retail A/V Dealer.

But ............

Runco is DEAD !!!

Luckily for me with my current VX11D Runco a buddy that started his own A/V dealership was willing to help me out.
If it was not for him I would have a Very Expensive {Paperweight} !!!
My Runco VX11D is working perfect once again thank-goodness.

You will NOT get any Support now from Runco Service Department if they are even still around.

Do-Not buy any Runco Projector regardless of how great the deal seems because if anything happens to it your STUCK !!!

If you really want a useful suggestion from a current as well as past Runco Customer here it is below.

Below is the projector I was going to Replace the Runco with if my buddy had not helped me out and got the Runco working.
Go get the Newly released JVC DLA-4500K Laser Projector.
It is an excellent projector and has great reviews on this AVS Internet Site.

Click on link below,

Terry Honaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.
post #29 of 53 Old 08-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7110 Post(s)
Liked: 8458
Quote:
Here is what comes to my mind on your question above.

I've owned Runco projectors for many-many years.
I was very happy with them and my local Runco Retail A/V Dealer.

But ............

Runco is DEAD !!!

Luckily for me with my current VX11D Runco a buddy that started his own A/V dealership was willing to help me out.
If it was not for him I would have a Very Expensive {Paperweight} !!!
My Runco VX11D is working perfect once again thank-goodness.

You will NOT get any Support now from Runco Service Department if they are even still around.

Do-Not buy any Runco Projector regardless of how great the deal seems because if anything happens to it your STUCK !!!

If you really want a useful suggestion from a current as well as past Runco Customer here it is below.

Below is the projector I was going to Replace the Runco with if my buddy had not helped me out and got the Runco working.
Go get the Newly released JVC DLA-4500K Laser Projector.
It is an excellent projector and has great reviews on this AVS Internet Site.

Click on link below,

Terry Honaker
I have been enjoying my RS4500 immensely lately. Watching 4K Blu-rays with the latest firmware, the picture has been stellar - from " The Fate of the Furious " to " Sicario " to " The Fifth Element ". Best projector I've owned yet.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #30 of 53 Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win68 View Post

-----------------

DLP really can't compete in image quality anymore. There have been basically no advancements made in DLP performance in a decade, while the liquid crystal camp has made substantial progress.

I really wouldn't pay over maybe $1500 for a DLP these days (about the cost of a used LS5), at that price range DLP is still competitive and a high end DLP will easily best about anything you can get for $1500 or less (save maybe some features, like 3D). But if you're going into the $8000 budget, things are very, very different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page