AVS Forum banner
153K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  humbland 
#1 ·
Can Sharp make a triumphant return to the FP game...? Looking forward to CES reports on this.

Highlights:
  • 1600 ANSI lumens
  • 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • Motorized horizontal and vertical lens shift
  • 2x 3-D Glasses, IR emitter included
  • $4,999 MSLP
  • March 2012

Quote:
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Sharp unveiled its latest 3D capable high-definition DLP home theater projector. Providing unparalleled 3D visuals, the XV-Z30000 features 50000:1 contrast ratio and 1600 ANSI lumens to deliver superior brightness, astounding clarity, and color accuracy.

“No matter what the content, the XV-Z30000 offers consumers a compelling entertainment projection solution,” said Jim Sanduski, vice president, strategic product marketing, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America, a division of Sharp Electronics Corporation. “With a focus on providing consumers with superior entertainment experiences, this front projector is ideal for the dedicated home theater or viewing room and is a welcome addition to any home entertainment experience.”

Part of the XV-Z30000’s superior picture quality is due to the DLP advantage. All Sharp front projectors incorporate mirror-based components that use light more efficiently by bringing more light from lamp to screen. In addition, with Sharp’s proprietary digital image ICs, the XV-Z30000 reproduces high quality 3D picture with low cross talk and flicker.

The projector’s lens functions also make it a good choice for those looking for a high-quality home theater experience. It features flexible installation with center lens and lens shift; the center lens design allows for easy adjustment; and the wide range horizontal and vertical lens shift function allows for flexible installation. In addition, with the motorized lens shift function, customers can select their preferable setting position. The projector also has control function with Creston, Control 4, AMX, and RS 232C port and LAN control via network.

Adding to the XV-Z30000’s appeal is its ease of use. With the wide range 2x optical zoom, users can select the preferable ceiling mount position in the room. Or, for spontaneous projection, the projector is portable and can be positioned on a table. The resize function (V-stretch) allows users to choose a 2.35:1 wide aspect image (Cinema scope). It also includes a One Touch Play function, which automatically turns on the projector when the user pushes the playback button of the playback equipment. Also, the System Standby function places the playback equipment into standby mode when the projector is turned off.

The XV-Z30000 offers extensive connectivity with two HDMI® inputs. To further enhance the viewing experience, two sets of 3-D glasses are included. The XV-Z30000’s other included accessories are an IR emitter, IR emitter cable, remote control, and two R-6 batteries.

Availability and Pricing

The XV-Z30000 will be available in March 2012 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested List Price (MSLP) of $4,999.99.

See less See more
#2,223 ·
The bulb of my XV-Z17000 have fused and I need to change it ASAP.

Anybody knows whether the Bulb is SHP119 or SHP129?

I am confused as some sellers selling AN-K15LP housing with SHP119 and some with SHP129.

(I am posting here in addition to Z17K thread as there is no post for a long time)

#2,228 ·
Our HT home automation is done with a programable Univeral remote control. Push a few buttons and we are good to go...Appropriate technology.
The Z30K plus Darbee plus mCable is a "Sharp" combination. With a recent ebay promotion, I added a 2nd gen Darbee and an mCable for abou $100. Minor annoyances with HDMI sync, but worth it INMO.
I feel incredibly fortunate to have found this PJ. :)
Too bad Sharp left FP. I think that if they stayed, their dynamic iris tech and the new TI 4K chips could have been a winner...

#2,235 ·
If you check the post a couple above, you will see that if you have an mCable, you can increase the Darbee to 65% HD.
If it's just the Darbee by itself, then I use the HD setting at 55%.
Either way, the picture with the Z30K is amazing.:)
BTW with the 20% off ebay coupon, why not get an mCable, just to try it out?

#2,242 ·
I still use the 30K all the time for TV and 3D. It has one of the fastest boot up and shut down times of many of the projectors i've had here. also fast syncing as well.

lately i've been using the Zidoo X9s media player with it for 3D playback. It has a new poster wall feature that looks great and is easy to use.

#2,244 ·
I still use the 30K all the time for TV and 3D. It has one of the fastest boot up and shut down times of many of the projectors i've had here. also fast syncing as well.

lately i've been using the Zidoo X9s media player with it for 3D playback. It has a new poster wall feature that looks great and is easy to use.
Look's great. Contrary to what my signature has (needs to update) I have invested in using Chromeboxes for all my TV end points. I started using OpenElec but have now moved to LibreElec as the OS on them. With MythTV and Emby plugins I am able to get all the content streamed from central servers. The few 3D ones I have show great but I think I need a newer bulb now to give it more oomph.

#2,246 ·
I can not recall the exact model #, but it looks right from memory.
Zombee may be able to verify.
With 4 extra bulbs, you should be set for awhile. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping the Z30K hangs in until 4K DLP gets further along.
BTW, my Darbee/mCable/Z30K HDMI sync issues reared their (ugly) head. I turned on the PJ, but could not get a picture. :eek: It's happened a few times, but not in several months. I'll get out the ladder this afternoon and see if I can track it down. The HDMI feeds from multiple devices were not designed to work (well) together. When they work, it's stunning. But it can be frustrating (like now)...

#2,249 · (Edited)
That looks correct, does the lamp physically look the same as the original? post a photo if you can

in this photo, original is on left, replacement on the right they were identical
I haven't removed the original. But here is a close up (original source image to magnify further) of one of the new ones:

#2,266 ·
+1 on Josh's mCable observation. I believe that it has to be powered with the usb to work period. Even then, as has been mentioned, it's somewhat erratic. However, when it works, it's a nice enhancement for $20...
TW, your 4K passthrough and upscaling will not matter with the Z30K (or the Darbee for that matter). They are 1080p devices and will not show an upscaled signal (4K).

#2,267 ·
TW, your 4K passthrough and upscaling will not matter with the Z30K (or the Darbee for that matter). They are 1080p devices and will not show an upscaled signal (4K).
I believe the AVR determines what upscale source to send to the display so most likely it upconverts everything to 1080p. I'll have to check if that is the case of if I have native source go straight to the PJ. It took some playing around to get it to this stage which was years ago so will need to check on what the final settings were.

#2,273 ·
I hooked up my long lost darbee to the 30K the other night, it went missing for a while. It looks great with the 30K.

after the tragedy of Pac-rim 2 I had to go back and watch the original to remember how much better it was. This movie was made for 3D and a 16:9 presentation.

I just picked up a Samsung S9 and wanted to see what slow motion looked like. this is pretty wild, the clip below is a combo of 240 FPS (cycling through RGBRGB) and then the 960 FPS (quick RGBRGB cycle + you can see the 3D L/R shift)

yet the eye sees a rock solid image, crazy how fast the DLP mirrors are. RBE is excellent on the 30K one of the best I've seen on many different DLP's. Plus very good iris that is lacking on lesser models so low APL scenes are at least somewhat convincing.

Don't get rid of the 30K just yet... :)

#2,274 · (Edited)
I hooked up my long lost darbee to the 30K the other night, it went missing for a while. It looks great with the 30K.

after the tragedy of Pac-rim 2 I had to go back and watch the original to remember how much better it was. This movie was made for 3D and a 16:9 presentation.

I just picked up a Samsung S9 and wanted to see what slow motion looked like. this is pretty wild, the clip below is a combo of 240 FPS (cycling through RGBRGB) and then the 960 FPS (quick RGBRGB cycle + you can see the 3D L/R shift)

yet the eye sees a rock solid image, crazy how fast the DLP mirrors are. RBE is excellent on the 30K one of the best I've seen on many different DLP's. Plus very good iris that is lacking on lesser models so low APL scenes are at least somewhat convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYi0WQCWoHg

Don't get rid of the 30K just yet... :)
Zombie,
How come you removed the Darbee from the Z30K chain to begin with?
Did you ever play around with the Darbee-->mCable-->Z30K combination?

I keep an eye on your dedicated "Mini Shootout" thread. Lots of talk about processors, discs, etc. Not much in the way of new 4K PJ offerings...You keep your ear to the ground. Any ideas on when we will see a 4K DLP with lens memory? Something like the "next level" Z30K?

#2,283 ·
My Z30k gave up the ghost a few months ago. Fan error. Won't restart. I sent it to Mendtronix for repair, but they inform me today that they can't secure a replacement fan that's been spec'ed and approved by the manufacturer to install, so they're sending the whole projector back to me unfixed.

Anyone have suggestions? Anyone have another broken Z30k I could salvage a part from?

#2,284 ·
Either that, or pull the fan out and look at the specs.
Buy a namebrand fan that is close enough to fit, and compare the two while they are both spinning to make sure the amount of air is reasonably the same.

Not sure how hard it will be to find a reasonable replacement fan, but shouldn't be too bad.

As long as the airflow is similar and the fan you buy is namebrand and the same voltage, it's very unlikely to have issues.
Namebrand fans rarely fail, it's so rare.

#2,289 ·
Hello @zombie10k, @humbland, any thoughts or recommendations for a dedicated projector just for 3D output only?

Is it still worth going with a DLP for the 144hz refresh rate? I assume the 3D glasses offset the black level weakness with DLPs.

Unfortunately something as good as the Sharp does not seem to be available now. I spent the last hour reading the forums but no real candidates jumped out at me. Some say the the Sony and JVC LCoS are good enough.

I currently have a Sony VPL-HW45ES, 120” 1.0 gain screen and a light controlled room with LVR=19 grey walls. I looked at getting a HP screen but those current options also did not seem too good.

#2,290 ·
Hi Nick,
The advantage of the Sharp is in that it does "normal 2D" 1080p with great contrast (as well as 3D).
If you did not care about 2D 1080p then here are a number of relatively inexpensive DLPs that could fill the bill for 3D only..
I have a couple of suggestions: Try posting the question (new thread) in the

#2,299 ·
@zombie10k , can you take a look at my earlier posts on this page starting with 2283 if you have a minute? Would appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Did Mendtronix happen to document which fan has failed? The only fan that is remotely easy to get to is the front right (facing the lense), the others are buried deep into the projector. I was just looking at the service manual recently, it's quite a deep dive.

Those original fans from Sharp are indeed gone, I tried to find some spares last year and are impossible to source.

#2,316 ·
Mendtronix was not interested in holding onto my projector while I tried to hunt down a replacement fan. They boxed it up and shipped it back to me still broken. :(

Anyone here want a crack at it? I've got little to lose at this point.

#2,317 ·
I feel your pain. I've been dreading the day when our Z30K goes on the fritz. Entropy...I wish that I had the skills to help. I keep hoping that a 4K DLP machine with lens memory will finally appear.
It might be worth a PM to Zombie. If anyone here can help, he seems the most probable.
I almost bought another Z30K a couple of years ago, just to have as a back up (I think Zombie has two:eek:). A "Z30K Wanted" post in the classified might be worth a shot. INMO, people moved on about 2013-14 without really appreciating what a gem the Sharp was/is. Sort of like the Da-Lite HP screen. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.:(
Good luck and please keep us posted:)

#2,318 ·
I've got about 60% left on my Sharp XV-Z30000 projector bulb. So what do you guys suggest about getting a bulb replacement?
Thanks in advance.
Anil

#2,319 ·
#2,321 ·
With Zombie's instructions, even I managed to do the lamp swap.:) Be careful to do the procedure on a clean cloth surface. Those tiny screws can easily get away and go down the "cosmic hole". Also, be really careful with the actual bulb and reflector. Finger prints are bad news. I did not wear rubber gloves (as some do); but I did gently wipe the lamp with an iso-alcohol cloth before reinstalling it.
Good luck:)

#2,322 ·
Hi Zombie,
I often think of you when I'm lamenting the lack of progress in DLP land. I wonder how many of us still rock the Sharp Z30K? Ours is taking longer and longer to boot up. I may be consulting your "bulb change flow chart" soon. :)
I keep hoping that the Sharp will hang in there until Benq or one of the other DLP makers steps up to powered lens controls. How hard can it be? Sharp was doing it 8 years ago...

Just for curiosity, how often do you change your bulb? Do you ever go OEM, or are you still reusing the same housing and just replacing the bulb itself?
Also, where did you score your back up Z30K (and for how much $)?
Hi! posting this in the Sharp thread instead of the BenQ thread

I think there's exactly 2 people left on planet earth with this projector, me and you :)

unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen with the lens shift. BenQ and Optoma are the 2 largest in the market in the DLP arena and no signs from either. Sim 2 had a fully automated lens in the .95 1080p Lumis projectors but they were sky high prices so the Sharp 30K was alone here under 10K.

I am using the same lamp from over a year ago, I haven't been keeping track of the hours but it's still bright on my 2.8HP screen, we just watched Pacific Rim 3D the other night with some guests and they were loving the 3D quality, this is still one of my favorite 3D projectors.

I found the spare on ebay a few years, original box etc I think it was ~1.3K with about 600 hours on the original lamp. I fire it up once in a while just to make sure it's ok. I hope your projector is doing well and lasts a long time.

#2,323 ·
Good to hear that there are still a couple of Sharp people left.:)
After reading your post, I Googled the XV-Z30000 to see if there were any still available. No dice.
Perhaps one will show up in the classified here at AVS...
Your projector thread has been pretty quiet as of late. I'm interested in your take on progress. It sounds as if you still use your Z30K(s) for 3D. How about for day to day movies and sports? Are you on to a 4K JVC like Craig?

#2,324 ·
My 2 Sharp 30K's are still chugging along just fine. I now own a Sony 885ES 4K 3D laser projector. As good a projector as it is, the Sharp 30K still has the best 3D. Although I must say that the Sony is a close second. Its 3D picture is much brighter than the Sharp and is almost equal in terms of no visible crosstalk.

#2,325 ·
Hi, thanks for checking it, it's good to hear they are are still working well! I go back and forth on 3D between the Sharp 30K and the JVC for 3D. The JVC is brighter with better native contrast but still find myself going back to the Sharp mainly for the rock solid image in 3D and the Sharp G20 glasses which are very comfortable to wear for extended 3D viewing.

We watched the new Maleficent in 3D last night, it was a blast!

#2,331 ·
Zombie and rgrele,
Thanks muchly. You two are amazing and inspirational!
As I have surmised, currently the best (powered lens controls) 4K options are from JVC and Sony. It sounds as if JVC has taken the lead with it's DTM software. Sony will probably follow suit at some point.
We watch mostly Netflix. Our movie content is 80% discs and 20% streaming (Roku). For the most part, we watch films "one and done". That is, our disc collection is mostly classic films or demo material. I have no desire to buy a vast 4K Ultra disc collection Currently, renting movies in 4K is difficult and expensive. This may change in the few years or so. If it does, that will push us into the 4K universe. Streaming 4K is an option, but the content seems limited to proprietary work from a few studios.
What do you guys watch in 4K? Is it mostly upscaled 1080p content?
With the Darbee and the iscan, the Z30K image is 2K+:) And, the HP 2.8 is so bright "I got to wear shades".:)
However, I do feel as if we are "missing something" by not being in the 4K "deep water" end of the pool.
Perhaps the biggest hold up for me is the ongoing HDMI protocol changes. We have a 50 foot run from the equipment room to the projector. Going to 4K means a long run of HDMI 2.2. From what I have read, at this distance, getting a reliable 4K signal is "iffy". Even if I can find a good cable, it means ripping up walls and wood cathedral ceilings.:eek: In our set up, there is no way to install a cable chase or conduit (and pull cables). I'm hoping that the 4K protocol settles down and that I can future proof the cable run one time only...
Thanks again for your input. Glad to know that there are still some Sharp people here at AVS.:)

#2,332 ·
What do you guys watch in 4K? Is it mostly upscaled 1080p content?
With the Darbee and the iscan, the Z30K image is 2K+:) And, the HP 2.8 is so bright "I got to wear shades".:)
Hi, Humbland. A lot of it is derived from 2K DI, yes, but some content really benefits from the wider color and HDR. You know, you can use a processor to tone map and easily display HDR with your Z30K. You can even use a UHD player to perform static tone mapping. For example, you can purchase a disc spinner "on the cheap" like say the Panny 420. You just set a player to SDR 1080, Rec 709, and then set your tone mapping parameters. This way you get the cleaner images and improved sound that the UHD discs offer along with that gorgeous DLP look and the better contrast (compared to XPR chip DLPs) that your unit will give you.

#2,336 ·
For years, I kept two projectors in service: a JVC RS40 for 2D and the Sharp Z30000 for 3D. Although the RS40 could do 3D, it had terrible crosstalk that made it unusable in that mode. The Sharp was the only projector I'd seen that had zero 3D crosstalk, and was the only projector I considered actually usable for 3D.

In late 2018, both projectors died on me, and I was not able to get either one repaired. The cost to fix the RS40 exceeded its value, and the repair shop couldn't get parts for the Sharp.

Eventually, I upgraded to a JVC NX7 (a.k.a. RS2000). This projector is compatible with both the 3D emitter and glasses from the RS40, though the glasses are a little dim and it's recommended to use Xpand glasses instead. I did not expect much from the 3D, but remarkably, JVC has greatly improved 3D performance and I have not yet seen any crosstalk at all.

The only caveat I would add to this is that I recommend turning on the Clear Motion Drive (JVC's frame interpolation mode) to Low when watching 3D. Without it, the image has a lot of strobing and judder during motion. I am very sensitive to Soap Opera Effect and would never use frame interpolation under normal circumstances (and I definitely turn it off for 2D), but it's pretty much essential in 3D with this projector. Fortunately, the combination of 3D and the Low setting does not produce any noticeable SOE artifacts.

#2,337 ·
Hi Josh,
Thanks for the info.
The NX7 is the one I'm thinking of upgrading to. I've managed to keep our Z30K limping along, but lately, I've been having a problem with HDMI sync...So far, I've been able to resolve it, but it's a hassle and a sign that something is not the way it was. I'm not complaining. We have thousands of enjoyable hours on the Sharp. I have held out going to 4K, as I've hoped that Benq or Optoma would offer a model with powered lens controls.
However, it just does not seem likely. Guess I'm headed to the "dark side" (JVC). Just for curiosity, where did you order your NX7 from? and How much did you give for it (approximately)? Are you happy with it? Did you get the firmware update to allow DTM?
Sorry to see the "Sharp world" getting smaller.:( It was one of the great bang/buck buys of my life and wildly exceeded my expectations. :)

#2,345 ·
Josh did mendtronix happen to say what fan it was? the exhaust fan in the front is 92mm and are relatively common. Some of the squirrel cage fans can be tough to track down.

@humbland - there is the mechanism for the automated lens. Something that will not see the light of day in the current under 10K DLP's. ;) let's check back in this thread in a couple of years and see if that changes. :)

#2,349 ·
Josh did mendtronix happen to say what fan it was? the exhaust fan in the front is 92mm and are relatively common. Some of the squirrel cage fans can be tough to track down.
I don't recall. It's been several months. I tried to get Mendtronix to hold onto the projector until I could find another source for the fan, but they were not interested and shipped the whole thing back to me.

For some time, I've had an iscan in the video chain after a Darbee. After an initial adjustment period, it has worked well and been stable. All of a sudden, last week something changed and the HDMI would no longer sync. So, I switched out the iscan (mini) for another one (micro). This worked for a short period, then back to the dreaded "flashing green screen".
Yesterday, I got out the ladder (again) and had at it. I removed the iscan entirely and went back to just the Darbee. So far, so good. We made it through a movie last night with no issues. I have my fingers crossed:)
Sure sounds to me like the iScan processors are the common variable with your problem.

#2,351 ·
Long time since this thread had any action....
Hope everyone is navigating the 2020 dumpster fire as well as possible.
I'm trying to resolve an issue with our Z30K. I could use some help.
I lost HDMI sync. The screen was flashing green (see previous posts). So, out came the ladder and I disconnected everything. Then I simplified the HDMI chain by removing the iscan mini. Problem solved, back in business...
However, now I have no onscreen display? That is, there is no indication that the projector is receiving commands from the remote.
The remote is working. When I toggle something like lens memory or focus, the lens moves. However there is no longer any on screen display feedback.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

#2,352 ·
Long time since this thread had any action....
Hope everyone is navigating the 2020 dumpster fire as well as possible.
I'm trying to resolve an issue with our Z30K. I could use some help.
I lost HDMI sync. The screen was flashing green (see previous posts). So, out came the ladder and I disconnected everything. Then I simplified the HDMI chain by removing the iscan mini. Problem solved, back in business...
However, now I have no onscreen display? That is, there is no indication that the projector is receiving commands from the remote.
The remote is working. When I toggle something like lens memory or focus, the lens moves. However there is no longer any on screen display feedback.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
If you haven't tried it already, disconnect the Sharp completely, including power. Then plug it back in without anything else connected to it and check the onscreen display again. There's also a "Menu Hide" button on the remote. You might try toggling that if you still have no display. Good luck and keep us informed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.