AVS Forum banner
153K views 2K replies 134 participants last post by  humbland 
#1 ·
Can Sharp make a triumphant return to the FP game...? Looking forward to CES reports on this.

Highlights:
  • 1600 ANSI lumens
  • 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • Motorized horizontal and vertical lens shift
  • 2x 3-D Glasses, IR emitter included
  • $4,999 MSLP
  • March 2012

Quote:
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Sharp unveiled its latest 3D capable high-definition DLP home theater projector. Providing unparalleled 3D visuals, the XV-Z30000 features 50000:1 contrast ratio and 1600 ANSI lumens to deliver superior brightness, astounding clarity, and color accuracy.

“No matter what the content, the XV-Z30000 offers consumers a compelling entertainment projection solution,” said Jim Sanduski, vice president, strategic product marketing, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America, a division of Sharp Electronics Corporation. “With a focus on providing consumers with superior entertainment experiences, this front projector is ideal for the dedicated home theater or viewing room and is a welcome addition to any home entertainment experience.”

Part of the XV-Z30000’s superior picture quality is due to the DLP advantage. All Sharp front projectors incorporate mirror-based components that use light more efficiently by bringing more light from lamp to screen. In addition, with Sharp’s proprietary digital image ICs, the XV-Z30000 reproduces high quality 3D picture with low cross talk and flicker.

The projector’s lens functions also make it a good choice for those looking for a high-quality home theater experience. It features flexible installation with center lens and lens shift; the center lens design allows for easy adjustment; and the wide range horizontal and vertical lens shift function allows for flexible installation. In addition, with the motorized lens shift function, customers can select their preferable setting position. The projector also has control function with Creston, Control 4, AMX, and RS 232C port and LAN control via network.

Adding to the XV-Z30000’s appeal is its ease of use. With the wide range 2x optical zoom, users can select the preferable ceiling mount position in the room. Or, for spontaneous projection, the projector is portable and can be positioned on a table. The resize function (V-stretch) allows users to choose a 2.35:1 wide aspect image (Cinema scope). It also includes a One Touch Play function, which automatically turns on the projector when the user pushes the playback button of the playback equipment. Also, the System Standby function places the playback equipment into standby mode when the projector is turned off.

The XV-Z30000 offers extensive connectivity with two HDMI® inputs. To further enhance the viewing experience, two sets of 3-D glasses are included. The XV-Z30000’s other included accessories are an IR emitter, IR emitter cable, remote control, and two R-6 batteries.

Availability and Pricing

The XV-Z30000 will be available in March 2012 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested List Price (MSLP) of $4,999.99.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sharp made a mistake exiting the projector world. The XV17000 should have never happened. It was nothing more than a business unit with a few tweaks. At this point though I don't think any DLP projector should be more than $3k unless the name is Runco on the badge. I might be tempted at $3k but $5k, I am going to look at the JVCs at that point.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/21465967

Sharp made a mistake exiting the projector world. The XV17000 should have never happened. It was nothing more than a business unit with a few tweaks. At this point though I don't think any DLP projector should be more than $3k unless the name is Runco on the badge. I might be tempted at $3k but $5k, I am going to look at the JVCs at that point.

Agreed. And this one still looks oddly business-like...kind of a hybrid of their past great projectors and their latest crappy ones. For $5k, I want some serious tweakability (especially re: the iris and video processing), an awesome lens, and superior 3D.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV /forum/post/21466162

Agreed. And this one still looks oddly business-like...kind of a hybrid of their past great projectors and their latest crappy ones. For $5k, I want some serious tweakability (especially re: the iris and video processing), an awesome lens, and superior 3D.

This was my thought as well when I looked at the picture. Hopefully it turns out to be a great projector.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/21465967

By your opinion, then why should any pj (LCOS, LCD, DLP) be over $3k?

#8 ·
Last years Sharp 17000 had many faults and cut several quality corners. It is now selling for 40% off, yet no one is even talking about it. This is because other projectors have feature like a glass lens, full CMS and frame interpolation in 3D.

Reviewers commented on the poor value, not very bright and the inaccurate color.

What new features does the 30000 have to offer?

#10 ·
I'm a happy XV-Z20000 owner. 30000 is a bigger number than 20000. I hope it's a step up. I, too, think Sharp dropped the ball with the 17000.

The 20000 with a couple of tweaks could have really been something (more lumens, faster color wheel, quieter). The 20K has great colors and a good CMS. For my room it's bright and quiet enough.

Reactions: prongs44
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k /forum/post/0

I'm a happy XV-Z20000 owner. 30000 is a bigger number than 20000. I hope it's a step up. I, too, think Sharp dropped the ball with the 17000.

The 20000 with a couple of tweaks could have really been something (more lumens, faster color wheel, quieter). The 20K has great colors and a good CMS. For my room it's bright and quiet enough.

I like the fact they added lens memory similar to what the panny's have had. My screen is only 100" so i dont need a light cannon. Curious whch dlp chip theyre using.

#15 ·
Anyone find it strange that one of the biggest lcd producers doesn't offer an lcd projector?

After reading through the rather poorly worded press release, it looks like it not only offers lens memory, but the horizontal and vertical shift is motorized. That's great news. I'm guessing this projector is going to weigh at least 25 lbs and reminding me of the older Sharp and Benq projectors.

5x color wheel and 2.0x zoom is welcome. Hoping for a glass lens and a DC3 or better. 5k MSRP is a bit steep, but the convenience factors may make it worth it if the image quality is as good or better than competing products.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg /forum/post/21656168

Anyone find it strange that one of the biggest lcd producers doesn't offer an lcd projector?

After reading through the rather poorly worded press release, it looks like it not only offers lens memory, but the horizontal and vertical shift is motorized. That's great news. I'm guessing this projector is going to weigh at least 25 lbs and reminding me of the older Sharp and Benq projectors.

5x color wheel and 2.0x zoom is welcome. Hoping for a glass lens and a DC3 or better. 5k MSRP is a bit steep, but the convenience factors may make it worth it if the image quality is as good or better than competing products.

So is focus/zoom manual?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg /forum/post/21653144

My screen is only 100" so i dont need a light cannon.

I hear 'ya. Mine is 92" (at 16:9, 117" @ 2.35:1)

Quote:
Curious which dlp chip theyre using.

Me too. I prefer the bigger DC3's over the DC4's. But the downside of the bigger chip is the throw distance limitations, which leads me to believe the 30K has a small chip in it.

Maybe Ti has improved the technology.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/21656735

So is focus/zoom manual?

So I went back and read the press release for a fourth time and I can't say for sure how much is motorized. It may just be the zoom is motorized and the rest is manual. Or it could be more than that. We're just going to have to wait for more info because the little bit of info available from Sharp is ambiguous at best.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k /forum/post/21658924

I hear 'ya. Mine is 92" (at 16:9, 117" @ 2.35:1)

Me too. I prefer the bigger DC3's over the DC4's. But the downside of the bigger chip is the throw distance limitations, which leads me to believe the 30K has a small chip in it.

Maybe Ti has improved the technology.

I was not aware of that limitation. I know there isn't a huge increase in black levels with the DC3 or DC4, but any improvement is welcome.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k /forum/post/21658924

The DC4 chips are all bigger and more expensive than most DC3s The DC4's are the .95" platform. The smaller and cheaper platform is the .69" which is likely what this chip uses.

Throw distance is a function of the lens not the chip size.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/21659298

The DC4 chips are all bigger and more expensive than most DC3s The DC4's are the .95" platform. The smaller and cheaper platform is the .69" which is likely what this chip uses.
I have a Sharp 20000 which uses a 0.95" DC3.

When I was researching my PJ the smaller DC4 was making it's debut. There are some 0.69 DC3's, but most projectors that I came across were 0.69 DC4's or 0.95 DC3's.

Quote:
Throw distance is a function of the lens not the chip size.

Agreed, but anecdotally the smaller chips had shorter throw distances as implemented. Again, based on my research when I was shopping for a projector.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k /forum/post/21660898

I have a Sharp 20000 which uses a 0.95" DC3.

When I was researching my PJ the smaller DC4 was making it's debut. There are some 0.69 DC3's, but most projectors that I came across were 0.69 DC4's or 0.95 DC3's.

Agreed, but anecdotally the smaller chips had shorter throw distances as implemented. Again, based on my research when I was shopping for a projector.

When the 20K was released >4 years ago there were no DC4 or .69" chips, the top end was the .95" DC3. The .95" DC4 came out after and was and is still the top end chip used in the high end lines like SIM2.

A couple years ago TI introduced the cheaper .69" line most of which used the DC3 or DC2 process. That is the chipset that is used in most

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan /forum/post/21661358

When the 20K was released >4 years ago there were no DC4 or .69" chips

I didn't get it when it was first released. It was already discontinued, and the DC4 chips were out.

Quote:
The .95" DC4 is still the top end highest performing 1080p DLP on the market.

I agree 100%.

Quote:
A couple years ago TI introduced the cheaper .69" line most of which used the DC3 or DC2 process. That is the chipset that is used in most

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.