NEW EPSON HOME CINEMA 3020, 5020 and 6020 AVAILABLE IN OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER 2012 - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 782 Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi, thanks to all for your posts about the HDMI cable. I was too late to be able to order a HDMI before drywall was put in, so I had to choose between a 35' Monster HDMI for $200 or the HDMI from the audio store doing the installation for $249.

I ended up just paying the $249 because if there are issues with the recommended cord,I'll have some recourse. They also installed 2 cat6 cables (one for controlling the screen and the 2nd as a backup to the hdmi and future proofing).

Now I have some questions about screens.

The room the projector will be in can be fully light controlled, and will be most of the time. However, there will be times (day games with friends over) when I won't completely black out the room. The installers recommended a 110" screen, but I'm not sure how much of that is displayable.

I need a motorized screen as it will be mounted on a ceiling and will drop in front of a wall mounted plasma.

Just in case someone brings this up, I've had the electrician put outlets in the ceiling for both the projector and screen.

Could any of you 5020 or 6020 owners provide your suggestions for a motorized 110" screen? The room will not have black walls, ceiling or carpet.

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 782 Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Are there any dealers here that could give me a good price on a 6020? Does AVS sell projectors?

post #753 of 782 Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

Are there any dealers here that could give me a good price on a 6020? Does AVS sell projectors?

Yes AVS sells a full asortment of items for your HT, chairs, projectors, AVR's, amps, prepro's, screens, A-lens, video processors, speakers and many other items. However we do not sell the 6020. We do sell the 5020 and we currently have some nice B-stock specials. If we can help you, give us a call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 782 Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Just a little Atta-Boy to Jason at Integrated Tech Solutions, who sold me my 6020. They are located in New Jersey and are very knowledgeable, friendly and great price. They are an Epson dealer and can be confirmed at the Epson website.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #755 of 782 Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
+1 Couldn't agree more Jeff!
post #756 of 782 Old 06-16-2013, 06:07 AM

P.s. he goes by Programmergeek on this forum
post #757 of 782 Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked: 10
my bulb burned last week just 360hours in use so i contacted epson. they wanted it check it in service because i told about my focus problem and convergence. Well everything was great i was happy to send it last thursday and got it back yesterday. Papers said just generic projector hardware repair but i think they changed bulb, optical unit and updated firmware because ei got THX mode which i didnt have before.

Still with this repaired unit i had convergence problem but now blue was way off (before red was more off). Focus is better but whole screen is greener in left side and top of the picture has about 10cm thick blue / cyan hue or tint area going side to side. AARGH im so pissed it is showing in everything.

First i was stunned about fast repair because im in finland and projector service was in UK so 6 days is fast but i have to contact epson again and send this back frown.gif

oh and i have eh-tw9100w so its 6020 model outside europe
post #758 of 782 Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by silma View Post

my bulb burned last week just 360hours in use so i contacted epson. they wanted it check it in service because i told about my focus problem and convergence. Well everything was great i was happy to send it last thursday and got it back yesterday. Papers said just generic projector hardware repair but i think they changed bulb, optical unit and updated firmware because ei got THX mode which i didnt have before.

Still with this repaired unit i had convergence problem but now blue was way off (before red was more off). Focus is better but whole screen is greener in left side and top of the picture has about 10cm thick blue / cyan hue or tint area going side to side. AARGH im so pissed it is showing in everything.

First i was stunned about fast repair because im in finland and projector service was in UK so 6 days is fast but i have to contact epson again and send this back frown.gif

Man I really do think these projectors get beat up in shipping or they are really sensitive to vibrations. My first one that I ordered was DOA when I received it. The new one they sent me was good though. Just my theory of the convergence issue and it kind makes sense in your situation. I would send it back again.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #759 of 782 Old 07-07-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silma View Post

If it was just the convergence I'd say tweak it with the LCD alignment feature, they are all going to have less than perfect convergence... but the tint issue can be very annoying, particularly on white or gray areas. So back it goes! A real PITA, but lets hope they get it right this time. A note enclosed asking them to specifically check convergence and white screen purity would be good.
post #760 of 782 Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

I found a local dealer that still had a 5010 model setup and did a 3d preview, and I must say I was disappointed and would not buy it for that reason alone. I can't really describe what I saw other than it seemed choppy and not clear in fast moving scenes. What is that issue called?

Also, has that issue been corrected in the 5020 and 6020 models?

post #761 of 782 Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

I found a local dealer that still had a 5010 model setup and did a 3d preview, and I must say I was disappointed and would not buy it for that reason alone. I can't really describe what I saw other than it seemed choppy and not clear in fast moving scenes. What is that issue called?

Also, has that issue been corrected in the 5020 and 6020 models?

You may being seeing what some call "Soap Opera Effect". When the frame interpolation is set too high, I can see this too.
I wonder if they had this set too high.

I've got the 6020 and with my own minor corrections, the picture is stellar!

I'm starting to believe that some 3D ghosting is source based and not necessarily the projector. Some movies look flawless and others look ghostier...more ghosty...ghoster...

...okay...I see more ghosting on some movies versus others.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #762 of 782 Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the 6020 and it is almost flawless in both 2d and 3d performance. As for the 5010, I would suggest that "SweetMeat" ignore the dealer's set-up and just buy a 6020UB unit.
post #763 of 782 Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Greetings, Regarding the "e" version. Obviously wireless can be very handy, especially if you have to open walls to run HDMI. I've used the 5020e with and without the wireless. Here's the downside to wireless:

As you have certainly noticed any Blu-ray player is constantly changing bandwidth and resolution as it cycles through putting in the disc, previews, menus, and primary content. With most projectors or LCD TVs and blu-ray players, all this switching can sometimes take 5-10 seconds before something ends up on your screen other than resolution messages, play button icons, source identification, etc.

When you go to wireless hdmi, that process slows down. You have far less idea of what's going on as the blu-ray player and projector communicate. Some of those visuals never show because of theadditional delays in establishing the changes over wireless.

I believe the bulk of all this mess and delays is the fault of HDCP protection, but let's just say you are in the dark, longer, with wireless. As long as your are patient, and have a solid setup (In my case very solid, I have only about 15 feet between 5020e projector and transmitter, it's really no problem at all.

But I'm not that patient, so, since I rarely need to use wireless (only if I have two other projectors running at the same time, I prefer to use my cabling. Again, this issue is not Epson related, but rather wireless HDMI / HDCP related primarily. If it can save you a bunch of money (wiring) or have another compelling reason, go for it. Otherwise, life will be a bit simpler with cables. Hope that helps. -art

Art Feierman
"Reviewing projectors is fun, but watching the 5th Element for the 500th time..."
Which means I'm really looking forward to Valerian: City of 1000 Planets
www.projectorreviews.com
post #764 of 782 Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 AM

finally got my pj back from warranty service, changed motherboard and optical unit again. fixed bluish tint in top of the picture and green pixel line is gone from right side. Convergence is quite good out of the box. Red is of a bit but not much.

Sooo like everything cant be perfect, they didnt update firmware to my new motherboard and i dont even have LCD Alignment option anymore mad.gif so the firmware is even older than what it was when i bought this damn thing.
post #765 of 782 Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I'm starting to believe that some 3D ghosting is source based and not necessarily the projector. Some movies look flawless and others look ghostier...more ghosty...ghoster...

...okay...I see more ghosting on some movies versus others.

Ghosting is not source related (in my experience). I note that even here on AVS the Blu-Ray movie reviewer still refers to ghosting as a source related anomaly. The simple test is to watch the same 3D material on a non-DLP projector where you see ghosting and then watch it on a DLP. Unless the glasses are causing the problem you will not see ghosting on the DLP and therefore I believe the problem is projector related. I've watched the same material on both DLP and LCD and this simple test has, at least, for me, confirmed where the problem lies. There is some material that causes non-DLP projectors fits, while most material doesn't. The 6010/20 is very good when it comes to ghosting, but it could be better. Where the Epson really shines is with SBS 3D material. This type of 3D can look stellar on the Epson.
post #766 of 782 Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi silma, call Epson customer service and they will take care of it.

post #767 of 782 Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
After a year and a half my 6010 developed a problem where it never advanced past warmup. Contacted Epson, they sent out a replacement refurb unit with new bulb and current software under warranty. Arrived in just a couple of days. Superb picture. I was impressed. Short of 4K, hard to imagine a better or brighter projector in my dedicated, light-controlled theater, although I'm sure they exist.
post #768 of 782 Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

After a year and a half my 6010 developed a problem where it never advanced past warmup. Contacted Epson, they sent out a replacement refurb unit with new bulb and current software under warranty. Arrived in just a couple of days. Superb picture. I was impressed. Short of 4K, hard to imagine a better or brighter projector in my dedicated, light-controlled theater, although I'm sure they exist.

If you are running it in best image mode, then there are several projectors that are brighter. If you are running it in the higher lumen (less accurate picture) mods, then it is very bright. Glad that Epson took care of you. They do have good customer service.
post #769 of 782 Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Ghosting is not source related (in my experience). I note that even here on AVS the Blu-Ray movie reviewer still refers to ghosting as a source related anomaly. The simple test is to watch the same 3D material on a non-DLP projector where you see ghosting and then watch it on a DLP. Unless the glasses are causing the problem you will not see ghosting on the DLP and therefore I believe the problem is projector related. I've watched the same material on both DLP and LCD and this simple test has, at least, for me, confirmed where the problem lies. There is some material that causes non-DLP projectors fits, while most material doesn't. The 6010/20 is very good when it comes to ghosting, but it could be better. Where the Epson really shines is with SBS 3D material. This type of 3D can look stellar on the Epson.

I wrote a blog for Projector Reviews some time ago where I provided measurements of the level of 3D crosstalk for an Epson 5010. The crosstalk results from the response time of the LCD display chips used in the projector (true for any LCD or LCoS projector) and there is a significant difference in response time (and crosstalk levels) in going from white-to-black vs. black-to-white. HERE is the link to that blog.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #770 of 782 Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

yeah i contacted them and seems like finnish epson support dont know much frown.gif

i found pdf which was Epsons own guide to change SW Dip switch in service menu to reveal the lcd alignment in menu (because Aussies didnt have that in first batches). Finnish Epson support said customer cant change anything in service menu or can't update projectors. I told that in US they sended update kits to customers with 5010 / 6010 models. They didnt know about that either.

They opened another service case to warranty service and want to come pick it up for the third time under a month for a repair blah. Even emailed warranty service and asked if they can give instructions which SW dip switch i need to change in service menu to get THX picture mode back so i would not have to send this back again but they havent answered back.

PJ has firmware 1.04 and they said its the newest.
post #771 of 782 Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM

Convergence Again!
We all know how poor many of the Epsons convergence seems to be out of the box , but can it get worse over time?. I adjusted my TW9100W (5020/6020) after initial purchase, but recently I've noticed red fringing seems to be creeping back. So I reset the alignment and sure enough the unadjusted red seems to be worse than it was initially. Takes about 16 clicks now ( two pixels worth) to get it right in a couple of the corners. Now maybe it was just my imagination, but is it possible for the unadjusted or original lcd alignment block to become worse over time. My unit has about 150 hours on the lamp.
post #772 of 782 Old 08-03-2013, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
If you change the air temperature of the room, change focus or zoom, move the projector, change the lens shift, or a few other things; it can affect convergence to some degree. I would check all this first.

Can it get worse over time, well yah it could, but not normally. AFIK, it should be the same if all adjustments are the same. I owned several LCD's, none got worse over time. Though they did vary depending on room temp.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #773 of 782 Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Not much action here, everyone must be enjoying their pj smile.gif What's the latest fw for the 6020? Thanks.
post #774 of 782 Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Am I missing something setting up the 6020,does it have a test pattern I can go to in the menu to adjust the focus and zoom? The Panasonics Ive owned had that and was wondering if there was one on the Epson. thanks
post #775 of 782 Old 10-02-2013, 06:22 PM

click "pattern" on the remote
post #776 of 782 Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

are you serious,its on the remote? thanks I am getting old I didnt see it!!(turned 59 last tuesday)
post #777 of 782 Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

anyone have the best settings for Epson 6020? I have a 16.9 screen with 1.0 gain in a dark room.
post #778 of 782 Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Best is so subjective but, here we go:
Super REs at 3
Auto Iris at High
Frame Int OFF
Football: living Room with 6500 temp
Blu Ray: THX
DVD: upconvert with an Oppo biggrin.gif
Tweak with Disney Wow or Video Essentials until you get a calibration at 200-250 hours on the bulb,save to memory locations
6020's are awesome out of the box
get a Darby biggrin.gif
what looks good to YOU is best
post #779 of 782 Old 10-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
+1 on get a Darby.

I didn't think I'd need one with the super res & all, but the difference it makes is just amazing. eek.gif

Samsung JS9000. Epson TW-9100, Alienware Alpha i7. Xbox one, Samsung UBD K8500.
post #780 of 782 Old 10-04-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ive had a darbee since last summer love that little gizmo,also have the wow disk,hate using calibration disk for some reason maybe im lazy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page