Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 190 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1039Likes

post #5671 of 5951 Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Copy that, hope you get it resolved. Please let us know when you do so we can learn from it.
thrillcat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5672 of 5951 Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus Rules View Post

Aside from removing the bulb and resetting it, there's not been another suggestions that hasn't been considered or explored already.

Seems it's just a glitch with this projector that will have to be lived with if the bulb pull out doesn't resolve it.
Auto Search:
When the projector is turned on, the input terminals are detected and an input signal is selected automatically.
You can switch the system on/off. Press ◄ ► to cycle through the options.
ON: Active
OFF: Deactive

Do you have the AUTO (INPUT) SEARCH ON? If yes, try turning it off.
m. zillch likes this.
post #5673 of 5951 Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post
Auto Search:
When the projector is turned on, the input terminals are detected and an input signal is selected automatically.
You can switch the system on/off. Press ◄ ► to cycle through the options.
ON: Active
OFF: Deactive

Do you have the AUTO (INPUT) SEARCH ON? If yes, try turning it off.
I will look into this as well.

It's just odd behavior as between my friend and I we have 20+ years of electronics retail experience and have never seen a projector just "turn off" for a few seconds. In those stores a projector will run 12 hours a day 7 days a week. It is puzzling. Didn't happen to us at all last night while watching a movie and playing some video games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5674 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looking around for lamps for when I need a replacement. Found this one on jet.com for $226 - what are the odds it is legit?

https://jet.com/product/detail/79aef...9c477cd7b1accc
post #5675 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
Looking around for lamps for when I need a replacement. Found this one on jet.com for $226 - what are the odds it is legit?

Based on the "-OEM" part number, I suspect it's a copy. This is what I was trying to warn everyone about on this forum several months ago. Now that Panasonic has discontinued producing PJ's, how long will it be until they stop producing the corresponding bulb kits?

It's rather difficult to know you're locating a genuine Panny bulb kit online (especially the ET-LAA410). The only possibly reputable source (at least they're referred by Projector Central) I could find with a quick search was ProjectorLamps.com where it is $305 and looks like it's not a true original Panny bulb kit either.

I'd say if you want the real thing it's going to take some digging and likely old-school phone calls to merchants with non-existent or crap websites to find one.

If you do, please share your findings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
post #5676 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:

I ordered mine from here earlier this year. http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u_psc.php

They're an authorized reseller. I called, instead of ordering online, and the guy had an "open box, new item" available that I was able to pick up for $209. It was authentic, and came with the filter, etc.
HT Geek likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5677 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I ordered mine from here earlier this year. http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/ptae8000u_psc.php

They're an authorized reseller. I called, instead of ordering online, and the guy had an "open box, new item" available that I was able to pick up for $209. It was authentic, and came with the filter, etc.
I know it's a P.I.T.A. these days, but it seems to me that calling these merchants is the only way to ensure if one will be receiving a true Panny bulb kit or a copy. The advertised rate for the authentic bulbs seems stuck to be hovering around $350, so you got a great deal!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #5678 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
I know it's a P.I.T.A. these days, but it seems to me that calling these merchants is the only way to ensure if one will be receiving a true Panny bulb kit or a copy. The advertised rate for the authentic bulbs seems stuck to be hovering around $350, so you got a great deal!
Yeah, definitely a bigger pain than clicking and checking out, but it was a small enough place that the guy who answered the phone is the guy who handled the transaction, so it was relatively easy compared to, say, calling B&H.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #5679 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I'd say if you want the real thing it's going to take some digging and likely old-school phone calls to merchants with non-existent or crap websites to find one.
Thanks for the feedback. By the time I actually need one (not yet) it sounds like they may no longer be available. If that's the case, what is the downside to one of the non-authentic replacements with an Ushio bulb? At some point they will likely be the only option.
post #5680 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
By the time I actually need one (not yet) it sounds like they may no longer be available. If that's the case, what is the downside to one of the non-authentic replacements with an Ushio bulb? At some point they will likely be the only option.
I'm in the same boat. The bulb is obviously very important. What I don't know is how important the remainder of the electronics are, such as the chassis it sits in. And I believe not all kits include the air filter that comes with the true Panasonic kit.

I would think if the bulb is legitimately identical, that it would be the most important factor. However, I'm not a PJ bulb expert. If any exist, I have no doubt they are on this forum somewhere and hopefully will chime in!

post #5681 of 5951 Old 12-06-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4649 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Clone bulbs may not have the right brightness, color, uniformity, and hours of life before they start to dim. Plus Panasonic says the filter should be replaced at the same time, even if you've been cleaning yours regularly and it looks fine, and only the true Panny's come with that replacement filter.

UPDATE: Read the reviews from customers who bought clones here.
HT Geek likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 12-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
post #5682 of 5951 Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. By the time I actually need one (not yet) it sounds like they may no longer be available. If that's the case, what is the downside to one of the non-authentic replacements with an Ushio bulb? At some point they will likely be the only option.
Before I found the bulb I mentioned a few posts back, I ordered one that turned out to be a clone. It was difficult to get it properly seated in the projector, and once I did get it fired up, it wasn't even as bright as the bulb with close to 3000 hours on it that I was replacing.

post #5683 of 5951 Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Before I found the bulb I mentioned a few posts back, I ordered one that turned out to be a clone. It was difficult to get it properly seated in the projector, and once I did get it fired up, it wasn't even as bright as the bulb with close to 3000 hours on it that I was replacing.
Where did you order the crap bulb from? I'm hoping the rest of us can avoid that merchant.
m. zillch likes this.

post #5684 of 5951 Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where did you order the crap bulb from? I'm hoping the rest of us can avoid that merchant.
http://www.tvlampsforless.com

For the record, they were very good about taking the return. He asked me to put about 30 hours on it to see if it "broke in" and "brightened up", which I pretty much did (while I ordered another from a different merchant), and then refunded my full expense, including return shipping.
HT Geek likes this.

post #5685 of 5951 Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just picked up a new light meter and using it to test the light output on my AE8000 after putting in a new lamp.

In Dynamic mode with automatic Iris on, normal (high) lamp mode I am getting 1936 lumens with a 125" screen at minimum throw. Does that sound about right for a new lamp?

Thanks,

Knight.
post #5686 of 5951 Old 12-17-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdriver View Post
Just picked up a new light meter and using it to test the light output on my AE8000 after putting in a new lamp.

In Dynamic mode with automatic Iris on, normal (high) lamp mode I am getting 1936 lumens with a 125" screen at minimum throw. Does that sound about right for a new lamp?

Thanks,

Knight.
It would have been much more interesting had you taken a measurement of your old bulb first.....just for comparison's sake... Not to mention, which test pattern/ test disc are you using for your measurement? But offhand, that sounds like you are in the ballpark... The tricky thing is getting a properly calibrated "quality" light meter and having it perfectly placed in front of your screen for it to read maximum light output. Really a lot of variables at play here..including the gain level of your screen among others....
m. zillch likes this.
post #5687 of 5951 Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
It would have been much more interesting had you taken a measurement of your old bulb first.....just for comparison's sake... Not to mention, which test pattern/ test disc are you using for your measurement? But offhand, that sounds like you are in the ballpark... The tricky thing is getting a properly calibrated "quality" light meter and having it perfectly placed in front of your screen for it to read maximum light output. Really a lot of variables at play here..including the gain level of your screen among others....
The pattern was a white 100 ire full field found in the link below and the screen gain is 1.0.

Is it realistic to get the advertised 2400 Lumens during any test?

http://www.w6rz.net

Knight.
post #5688 of 5951 Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdriver View Post
The pattern was a white 100 ire full field found in the link below and the screen gain is 1.0.

Is it realistic to get the advertised 2400 Lumens during any test?

http://www.w6rz.net

Knight.
probably not.. Manufacturer claims are always best case scenario....but again lots of variables.... first off, was it an actual OEM replacement Panasonic lamp assy with included filter? What is the quality of your light meter? Is the meter calibrated?... etc... I wouldn't worry about it too much...as long as your image brightness is what you need and it calibrates to a proper grey scale.
post #5689 of 5951 Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Bulbs also have a rapid decrease in light output in their first hours of use and are said to plateau into their more stable {but still gradually declining} level only after 100 hrs or so. I've read from several reviewers that although its fine to do a quick, down and dirty calibration right away it is best to hold off and wait for about 100 hours of use before you get into the more precise, nitty gritty calibration you want for the long haul.
HT Geek likes this.
post #5690 of 5951 Old 12-28-2017, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had this projector for maybe 9 months now...so of course now the newness has worn off and I'm looking to tinker and improve the pic quality (or to make my eyes perceive an improvement, anyway).

Stats:
Throw distance: approx 15 feet
Screen size: approx 140" diag
It sits on a table roughly 3 feet off the ground and projects straight-on to the screen
Screen material: Carls Place Flexiwhite 144" diag. Is attached directly to the wall- no frame.
Ambient light: Next to none. Blackout curtains.
Walls/ceilings: Are not black.

One thing I did recently was push the projector in as close in as possible while still maintaining the screen size I wanted. I thought this would improve the picture quality. I'm not sure whether it did or not.

I don't have a lot of ceiling clearance, which is the main reason I haven't invested in a screen frame or any pre-fabricated screen system. The Carls Place screen (144") pretty much goes from floor to ceiling.

Does anyone have any experience with this projector and Carls Place screen material? I was wondering about the FlexiGray instead of the Flexiwhite for instance. Or if anyone has any magical picture settings they'd like to share if using similar environment. I can say I'm a big time high brightness, high color, and dynamic guy.
post #5691 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's with this "Red Rich" thing???

Updating for passage of time on the subject of bulb replacement.

I don't need to replace mine yet, but I want to fully understand the nuances of the bulb kits on the market. Based on the information I've been able to gather from various sources, there appear to be multiple "genuine" replacement products. I'm not clear if that is true or not, or if their differences matter. I understand the part about the ET-LAA410 including an air filter. That's not what I'm talking about.

Is it possible for a replacement lamp assembly to be genuine - from the original manufacturer and works with a product - but not necessarily exactly an OEM replacement for a given product? Is it possible there are Panasonic bulbs and bulb kits truly produced by Panasonic or its subsidiaries that work in the AE6000/8000 but aren't identical to the bulbs our PJ's came with? And is it possible that it's difficult to distinguish between various versions of "genuine" bulbs that will function in the PJ?

Here are a few ET-LAA410 assembly prices from various suppliers. Note B&H's price has gone up significantly.

Audio General (AGI) $352 Stock status not specified. Link

B&H Photo $449 In-stock. Link

Panasonic Factory Outlet $--- Out-of-stock and reports "No longer manufactured." Link

Pureland Projector Supply $296 30 in-stock. Link

I don't know if "Panasonic Factory Outlet" is truly reputable or not. They claim to be an authorized Panny reseller. What is interesting is their claim the ET-LAA410 is no longer manufactured. I don't know if that is true, but given B&H's extraordinary cost on the replacement bulb package, it seems plausible.

There is an interesting offer from Jasperelectronics at $175 (-5% coupon it's even less at $166), though I'm a bit skeptical to say the least. They are offering an "Original Matsu****a ET-LAA410 Lamp & Housing for Panasonic Projectors." I say 'interesting' because some sources indicate Panasonic's bulbs for the AE6000/8000 are manufactured by Matsu****a (acquired by Panasonic in 2008), while some sources claim they are manufactured by Ushio. I have learned Panasonic does not manufacture their own bulbs.

@HMenke bought a bulb kit from JasperElectronics back in 2015, and posted photos in this thread. You'll find the discussion here. There was some discussion it could possibly have been a Chinese gray market product. Some information contained in the box appeared to corroborate a connection with a Chinese manufacturing plant for Panasonic, and we do know these bulbs are manufactured in China to begin with, though the included English language literature seems most often (if not always) to have been printed in Japan. Odd. Perhaps simply a prime example of how enterprise-level companies excel at wasting resources and money.

Unfortunately, @HMenke did not post photos of the bulb unwrapped (at least not that I've seen). I also did not see a replacement air filter inside the unboxing either.

According to counterfeitlamps.com, Matsu****a does in fact produce legitimate replacements to some Panasonic bulbs, and those replacement bulbs will have slightly different product codes. One question is whether or not Matsu****a is producing the Red Rich bulbs or if these cheapo replacements are potentially legit per se, but might not be the EXACT replacement to the OEM bulb.

Pureland Supply's product description reads in part, "genuine original Ushio 200 watt bulb" while B&H Photo's product description reads in part, "The Panasonic ET-LAA410 220W Red Rich Projector Lamp is a replacement lamp." So, quite frankly I am wondering if the "Red Rich" lamp is in fact not OEM.

Another data point.... Panasonic offered a "Free Red-Rich Lamp ($379 Value)" during a PT-AE8000U sales promotion in early 2016. Were they offering a standard replacement lamp for the one in the new PJ's that were included in the PT-AE8000U projectors sold at that time? I find it odd they would offer a different replacement lamp versus the OEM version.

I suspect the devil is in the details. I for one will suck it up and buy a replacement that is clearly marked as a Panny product, Red Rich, and from a known, bonafide authorized reseller, even if it costs me $450. Food for thought as more of us encounter this conundrum.

Edit: Got a bit ahead of myself ^. What I'd like to do is get feedback from folks who know more than I do; if any of you have additional insight.

What I would like to know are the answer to the following questions, if anyone has a definitive answer for them:

1. Is the OEM bulb in a Panasonic PT-AE6000U or PT-AE8000U the Ushio bulb or the Matsu****a bulb?
2. What is a "Red Rich" bulb and is it OEM for these PJ's?
3. Does it matter? If so, why?
woodhead2 likes this.

Last edited by HT Geek; 02-03-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Corrected myself
post #5692 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dear AVSforum, your stupid auto filter has partially replaced a real manufacturer name in my post above because your less-than-intelligent A.I. thinks it's a curse word. FFS.

Note to readers (since I can't spell the darn thing): the manufacturer in the post above is MAT-SU-SHEET-A

post #5693 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Dear AVSforum, your stupid auto filter has partially replaced a real manufacturer name in my post above because your less-than-intelligent A.I. thinks it's a curse word. FFS.

Note to readers (since I can't spell the darn thing): the manufacturer in the post above is MAT-SU-SHEET-A
I wonder if Matsu*****a gets masked.

post #5694 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post
I wonder if Matsu*****a gets masked.
Now we know. haha. I had used a $ for the s.
HT Geek likes this.

post #5695 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Unfortunately, @HMenke did not post photos of the bulb unwrapped (at least not that I've seen). I also did not see a replacement air filter inside the unboxing either.
Here is the gray market lamp unwrapped.
HT Geek likes this.
post #5696 of 5951 Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 PM

I buy generic things for almost everything in my life, except some food items, and Panasonic replacement lamps.
post #5697 of 5951 Old 02-04-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I buy generic things for almost everything in my life, except some food items, and Panasonic replacement lamps.
My point is how does one identify a non-generic Panasonic replacement lamp for the AE8000?

What do "original", "OEM", and "genuine" really mean? Do they mean anything?

Then we have the "Red Rich" lamps, which means nothing to me by virtue of the fact I don't know what that is supposed to mean. I know B&H sells it, and they are an authorized Panny dealer, but that doesn't mean it is an exact replacement product, exact ET-LAA410. In fact, I believe it is not. But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Or is it?

Then there's the question of whether it should be a Ushio or Mat-su-sheet-a bulb or not. If so, then what? Panasonic does not manufacture the bulbs.

This is the problem. Plus the fact Panasonic does a crap job of maintaining their authorized dealer list online, and they do a crap job of customer service in general. Therefore, I find myself in the position of noodling around with this concept - something one would think would be a no-brainer - but alas it isn't.

I'm trying to figure out what to look for that validates or invalidates a proper bulb and housing.

post #5698 of 5951 Old 02-04-2018, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMenke View Post
Here is the gray market lamp unwrapped.
Thanks for posting that link, and the photos (and your findings).

post #5699 of 5951 Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
My point is how does one identify a non-generic Panasonic replacement lamp for the AE8000
Yes, it is difficult. It becomes dead obvious when it arrives because the box will say "panasonic" on it in their trademarked font

Vendors like B&H Photo also use the logo in their ad for the lamp but yes, they are pricey.

Another giveaway it is real is the included replacement filter in the box.

They are red rich if they are real deal Panasonic lamps.

Audio General and B&H are the only authorized dealers I know of, not to say there might not be others.

You can email the vendor you are interested in and ask "Is this a genuine Panasonic brand product or is it an equivalent replacement for it?" If they lie you have email proof that they lied. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck.

UPDATE: The attached images are of an original Panasonic 4000 lamp. I saw no other manufacturer names on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original 4000 lamp bulb.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2356374   Click image for larger version

Name:	original 4000 lamp bulb CU.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2356376  
HT Geek likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 02-04-2018 at 11:04 PM.
post #5700 of 5951 Old 02-05-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Audio General and B&H are the only authorized dealers I know of, not to say there might not be others.

You can email the vendor you are interested in and ask "Is this a genuine Panasonic brand product or is it an equivalent replacement for it?" If they lie you have email proof that they lied. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck.
I called Audio General directly, and had a human on the phone immediately. He was very open about what they had. I ended up getting an "Unused Open Box" official Panasonic item at a really good price (can't remember off-hand, but scroll back to last year and I posted on here). This was an item that wasn't listed on their website, so calling and talking to a human really paid off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
contrast , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , green blob , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , lcd , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , polarizer , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page